PDA

View Full Version : In a rut..

Solaaris
01-09-2013, 20:06
Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice sorta..

For a while now I have lost the urge to do GW stuff. Prices don't bother me as such as I have other hobbies that are way more espensive! However at the same time, I have got to the point where I can't stick at a project for more than a few days, the latest being a failed attempt of trying to paint Lizardmen.

Anyway I'm now wondering what the hell I want to do..Ive got various armies, and after 20 years or more of collecting, I have tried them all more or less!

Can anyone suggest a fun little project, ideally 40k? Ive got a Dark Eldar, Tau and Necron force that are pretty much complete. I was looking at a small Daemon's force or Chaos - )I have an unpainted DV boxset) but I want something that wont be cack (Like my Dark Eldar lol)

Only armies I aint done over the years are IG, but I have no interest in playing humans in a world of monsters and wierdos!

I know this whole post is a little ambiguous, but I'm really looking for ideas or insperation!

Cheers
Sol

Emperors Teeth
01-09-2013, 21:27
Had you considered something niche and off-the-wall such as a Gorkamorka gang? Lots of opportunities for fun conversions but within a small range of models (say 8-12 Orks and a couple of vehicles)...

That depends on if you want to play or not, as you'd have to drum up some interest in the area to get a game. Otherwise something like that is a great painting project to dabble with and you'll have a cool gang to play in the future, or the beginnings of a new Ork army instead.

Spectrar Ghost
01-09-2013, 21:52
Something skrimishy with opportinities for fun conversions sounds good. I had fun doing a Van Saar Gang (http://s977.photobucket.com/user/Spectrar_Ghost/library/Necromunda/Van%20Saar%20120x160?sort=3&page=1) using Cadians last year, and I'm not even that fond of 28mm anymore.

Solaaris
01-09-2013, 22:22
Had you considered something niche and off-the-wall such as a Gorkamorka gang? Lots of opportunities for fun conversions but within a small range of models (say 8-12 Orks and a couple of vehicles)...

That depends on if you want to play or not, as you'd have to drum up some interest in the area to get a game. Otherwise something like that is a great painting project to dabble with and you'll have a cool gang to play in the future, or the beginnings of a new Ork army instead.

Gorkamorka! Now there was a game I loved, and still play every once in a while! Drives me nuts that GW pretends it never existed!

RanaldLoec
01-09-2013, 22:35
Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice sorta..

For a while now I have lost the urge to do GW stuff. Prices don't bother me as such as I have other hobbies that are way more espensive! However at the same time, I have got to the point where I can't stick at a project for more than a few days, the latest being a failed attempt of trying to paint Lizardmen.

Anyway I'm now wondering what the hell I want to do..Ive got various armies, and after 20 years or more of collecting, I have tried them all more or less!

Can anyone suggest a fun little project, ideally 40k? Ive got a Dark Eldar, Tau and Necron force that are pretty much complete. I was looking at a small Daemon's force or Chaos - )I have an unpainted DV boxset) but I want something that wont be cack (Like my Dark Eldar lol)

Only armies I aint done over the years are IG, but I have no interest in playing humans in a world of monsters and wierdos!

I know this whole post is a little ambiguous, but I'm really looking for ideas or insperation!

Cheers
Sol

Now you see I've always found when things get stale I change system, 40k to Warhammer Fantasy to Warmachine back to 40k in between there's Necromunda, spacehulk, but never dreadful fleet

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

stroller
01-09-2013, 23:43
1) Daemons and/or chaos for 40k in 40 minutes - small project - easy completion.

Verm1s
02-09-2013, 02:43
I'd suggest another read of this topic (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?379822-What-Happens-When-Miniatures-and-Games-Have-Lost-All-Appeal). ;)

Gerod253
02-09-2013, 04:23
Maybe just pick one project. Something small with the end in sight, like the DV stuff, and put the others somewhere out of sight. That's helped me get past the hobby blues in the past. Whatever you do I don't suggest buying a new project. The new shiny feeling is great, but unless it is a single box of no more than five figures the feeling doesn't last long enough to see you through project completion.

duffybear1988
02-09-2013, 15:10
Why not focus on a few character pieces? I did that when I was on a downer and in the end it led to my building a whole Space Wolves army. I bought a box of blood claws and really went to town on each one with conversions, painting etc. My mates loved them and were always asking me to build the rest of an army as they would be so cool. In the end I did, but it took 2 years :D

Dryaktylus
02-09-2013, 18:40
I have forsaken all normal armies and build my Adeptus Mechanicus army since 2 or 3 years now. It's fun, but I wouldn't call it "little".

If you have three armies, just create some fitting allies. Some renegade Mechanicus for the Necrons, Gue'vesa for Tau or pirates (human or orkoid) for DE. Lot of conversion potential with bitz from the "mother" army to let them look related.

Citadel Collector
03-09-2013, 14:28

Get yourself a copy of the original Rogue Trader rulebook - the background fluff may change your opinion about using humans in 40k :)

Senbei
03-09-2013, 19:30
Get yourself a copy of the original Rogue Trader rulebook - the background fluff may change your opinion about using humans in 40k :)

I dunno. It always struck me as a more balanced ruleset than anything that came after. The fact that you were all using the same equipment meant that nobody could pull the extreme beardy-ness that comes with army-specific weapons and special rules.

Verm1s
04-09-2013, 02:26

The excitement I feel at the prospect of fielding a battery of mule-limbered field guns crewed by grey covenanters is something like the excitement I used to feel at the prospect of fielding enormous rampaging venom-cannoning carnifexes...eses. Monsters are nice 'n' all, but sometimes you want to appreciate the struggle and grind of fellow people, real or otherwise.

Besides, we're not entirely exempt from the 'monsters and weirdos' category, either. ;)

GlenMorray
04-09-2013, 03:29
No wonder you're in a rut you live in the Shire! Move down London way like the rest of us Bridgnorth lads! :D
(Seriously miss the Shire)

Anyway, 40k wise why don't you try for some death watch style small army forces?
For me I get inspiration from cool mini and the hall of fame thread on here, all very cool stuff.

Caiphas Cain
04-09-2013, 04:07
Try something completely different. How about 6mm napoleonics?

gonzosbignose
04-09-2013, 10:25
Sign up to a Tale of XYZ gamers and do a project along side a bunch of other gamers who will support you through a year long challenge.

Take photos and blog about it so that people can assist you in your 'keen' for your project.

Regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer

Killgore
04-09-2013, 12:39
When was the last time you gamed?

Impose a fully painted army rule for your games, that will act as motivation.

Abaraxas
04-09-2013, 14:38
When was the last time you gamed?

Impose a fully painted army rule for your games, that will act as motivation.

That's a damn good motivator IMO.

williamsond
04-09-2013, 14:48
Posting stuff in a project log and attending tourneys with deadlines help to keep me focused on army projects, it gives you some thing to aim for and keep you going. also as suggested try and do stuff that's different than to everything else you've seen in you local groups, this is why i started a RTB01 army it's a one of a kind.