PDA

View Full Version : Poison on a 5+ question (banner and gift of spider god)

cagalli
01-09-2013, 20:16
If a unit has the spider banner to give them poison, then gets buffed with the gift of the spider god the spell states that "the spell boosts its venom so that they wound the target auto on a to hit roll of 5 as well as 6"

I know that if a unit needs a 7 to hit then the poison does not work. "note that if a poisoned shooting attack needs to roll a 7 or more to hit, or hits auto, then the poisoned attack rule does not come into play"

What happens when your 5+ poison unit needs a 6 to hit, the way I read it is even if you need a 6 to hit 5 and 6s will auto wound under this situation.

Would love feedback.

TheKingInYellow
01-09-2013, 20:34
Poison only allows auto wounds, it has nothing to do with hitting the target, so the roll of five would miss and no wound is caused.

Spiney Norman
01-09-2013, 21:27
Poison only allows auto wounds, it has nothing to do with hitting the target, so the roll of five would miss and no wound is caused.

That is probably the intent, but it is not supported by the rules.

There is currently nothing in the rules that say that an attack has to hit in order to cause a poisoned wound, only that attacks which require a 7 or worse to hit cannot cause poisoned wounds. According to the rules as they are written I think any natural dice score of 5 or 6 to hit would cause a poisoned wound as long as the required score to hit was not 7 or worse.

I'm not sure we should really be surprised by this, Mr Vetock is good at writing well balanced army books, but he is very bad at thinking through the rules he writes and how they will apply in unusual situations.

huitzilopochtli
01-09-2013, 21:32
I believe the FAQ covered this. Imma go check, but 95% confident that if you need 6s, only 6s will wound.

Edit: yup.

Q: Do Poisoned Attacks that wound automatically on a To Hit roll
of 5+ or better still need to hit to cause a Wound?(p73)
A: Yes.

cagalli
02-09-2013, 08:15
That answers that, thanks so much huitzilopochtli