PDA

View Full Version : mechanicus horus heresy army usable?

purge the daemon
01-09-2013, 23:05
so been out of GW stuff for a few months. but just looking new space marines goofy as all hell wtf where they thinking. but forgeworld seems to be doing the right thing the priest of mars and the robotic dreads and all look really cool.

i have yet to pick up a copy of betrayal and i assume the second one coming some time soonish.

but because the adeptus mechanicus stuff looks so cool i was wondering if from what currently exists can a playable list be made at 2k points or 2.5k points

also the average cost for such a list in usd would be helpful as well. have to go check the bank before buying $20 a model infantry.

i would assume the lists uses the single priest of mars they have out ( i love this model so i would hope so) a combination thallax and castellax as core (both look great) and seeing as the only other things out would be an avenger or two and maybe a warhound? as unless reaver points have changed i'd need around 4k points to filed one.

any help/advice is much appreciated

Oboc
01-09-2013, 23:28
Until the second book comes out, we don't have any rules except for thallax and the priest special character. Don't bother getting the first book if you only want mechanicus

purge the daemon
01-09-2013, 23:30
well then i shall wait for book two marines i have to many marine armies. i assume the lsit will be updated for book two to include the book one stuff as well?

Chem-Dog
01-09-2013, 23:34
I've read elsewhere that Mechanicum units will be trickle released throughout the books with a complete army usable by the time the line is released. Not concrete or particularly helpful I know, but it, perhaps, gives you the chance to slowly accumulate units accordingly as a back-burner project.

Or tandem those purchases with a more standard 40K army, use them as stand-ins for another army and you'll be able to play with lovely models while you're waiting for the new stuff. I've been considering Tallax and Castellax for a number of tabletop roles recently, Thallax as Ogryn and Castellax as Sentinels is my current train of thought.

purge the daemon
01-09-2013, 23:45
only thing that may be wrong with guard is i don't own any well i own some for my inquisition army but not a ton and would be almost as costly as forge world. i could maybe get them to work with space marines but like god i hate marines probably thallax as terminators if they still are viable and the castellax as centurions or dreads depending on their scale and tech priest as well a master of the forge if he still exists. also if it will only be done by book 3 is there any rumor as to when that will come out (it's been a while since 1 and no 2 yet)

FashaTheDog
02-09-2013, 05:30
Wasn't Betrayal released just released last year? A year between books is not that bad, especially with Forgeworld's other releases in both terms of books and minis, although if rumor are to be believed (with an intake of sodium) then book three might follow six months after book two.

You could always buy a few Forgeworld models to kill excess money in your wallet while you convert up some Skitarii that suit your idea of what the Magos leading your army prefers. This way you are building towards the army, but it is a slower project to buy time for the next few books. Since there is no real standardization as varied books have them ranging from feral mechanically enhanced berserkers to bionic Guardsmen to gene-bulked legions with weapon arms to toting Terminator armor equivalents and everywhere in between (the Dark Mechanicus even goes other places too). I personally liked that wild description in Titanicus with the feathered cloaks and lack of uniforms.

You could easily convert the Dark Vengeance Cultists into stunning Skitarii with a few clever conversions or in the case of most of the autogun models and the axe guy, you can get the effect with minimal effort with just with a red and white paint job and a Mechanicum logo (either freehand or print it yourself water slides). The rest of the models need only minor conversion work, mostly weapon swaps and perhaps a little adornment here and there to bring them in line. Those servo-skulls you get from the Devastators, IG Command kits, or Forgeworld can be added at random to add a little extra Omnissiah feel to them too. A heavy mixture of Necron, Guard, and Marine parts can give you a real strong archeotech feel Skitarii. Whereas a more wild and untamed Titanicus look that I like could be achieved with a vast and wide combination of Space Marine parts (particularly the bionics such as from the Iron Hands upgrade), servo skulls, Chaos Warrior backs (the cloaks here are key), Wood Elf characters Glade Guard and War Dancers, some Bestigor torso and arms, Dark Eldar Scourge bits, Hellions, Wyches, Wracks, Necron Wraiths bits, and of course lasguns and laspistols from the Guard range. Obviously there would be little uniformity across this crowd, with only the Mechanicum's cog unifying them, but it would be an impressively wild and colorful force. Plus you would need little further motivation to add Legio Invicta titans to your army with that kind of Skitarri, just be sure that you keep a copy of Titanicus in the army carry case lest the Omnissiah machine-curse your dice to only roll ones. Also, keeping a can of WD-40 with a Mechanicum army never hurts either.

Reasonable Commissar
02-09-2013, 16:57
Ad Mech can also use some other things as well as the specific models such as Land Raiders and some IG artillery so depending whats in Massacre there could be the possibility of at least a semi decent army, hopefully there will be some more troops to take in Massacre although the Thallax are pretty beastly.

Inquisitor Engel
02-09-2013, 17:02
I have a friend who uses the Tau Codex for his Mechanicum. Works quite well.

Fizzy
02-09-2013, 17:48
well then i shall wait for book two marines i have to many marine armies. i assume the lsit will be updated for book two to include the book one stuff as well?

No it wont. Otherwise book one would be unnecessary. You will have to buy both books as it stands right now.

But as someone said at the end of the story there will be a complete army for mechanicus. But thats in about 5 years maybe.

Noserenda
02-09-2013, 18:06
You can field a decent army from Betrayal, You get the Magos, Thallax, Techmarines (Priests), Artillery Units, Mechanicum Land Raiders (With Crazy gun loadouts!) and Mechanicum Avenger Fighter before you need look at Lords of War.

You arent going to have a high model count, the last army I fielded was about 20 Infantry and 3 Raiders :D

TheFang
02-09-2013, 18:14
The Betrayal list is very thin for any kind of competitive list. Really it's just the forces under the command of Magos Reductor Calleb Decima in one slice of the battle. Almost a scenario force. Still need the other weapons for the thallax if anyone from FW is looking in.....

Some rumours suggest there are a number of units above the Castellax and the Magos in Massacre. Have to wait until Games Day to find out for sure. The original plan was to dribble a few Mechanicus units out with each book in the series but sales seem to have gone well which might have pushed AdMech up the agenda.

The Black Shield
02-09-2013, 18:20
They are supposed to release a full playable Mechanicus army list in either Book Two or Book Three. This has been confirmed by many people who have talked to Alan Bligh at all of the Games Day events and the Horus Heresy weekender. You could play Mechanicus with Book One, but you would be seriously limited. It does contain an HQ (Magos Reductor Calleb Decima), a Troop ( Thallax Cohort), and a Dedicated Transport (Mechanicus Land Raider),but(and it is a big but) there are no Elites, Fast Attack or Heavy Support.

TheFang
02-09-2013, 18:28
It does contain an HQ (Magos Reductor Calleb Decima), a Troop ( Thallax Cohort), and a Dedicated Transport (Mechanicus Land Raider),but(and it is a big but) there are no Elites, Fast Attack or Heavy Support.

Elites are techmarines, Fast Attack is Avengers and Heavy is Legion Artillery. It does have all the slots but they aren't a full list.

The Black Shield
02-09-2013, 18:39
The Avenger is a Lord of War not a Fast Attack, and the Techmarines and Legion Artillery are part of the LEGION. They would be allies.

TheFang
02-09-2013, 18:48
The Avenger is a Lord of War not a Fast Attack, and the Techmarines and Legion Artillery are part of the LEGION. They would be allies.

Check page 177 of Betrayal under Decima's special rules..

Gossipmeng
03-09-2013, 16:13
I fully plan on starting a mechanicum army, but I'll be waiting until book 3 to drop. As others have mentioned, the army is not too playable at the moment.

El_Machinae
03-09-2013, 17:04
I'd love to be able to play a Mechanicus list. There're rules coming out in books? Or are there experimental rules?

edit: oh, Betrayal. The rules wouldn't mesh with 40k then, really, eh?

Fizzy
04-09-2013, 02:45
I'd love to be able to play a Mechanicus list. There're rules coming out in books? Or are there experimental rules?

edit: oh, Betrayal. The rules wouldn't mesh with 40k then, really, eh?

Totally up to who you play with.

El_Machinae
04-09-2013, 12:17
Ah, I'm under the impression that 30k is not properly 'balanced' vs 40k?

I'd looooove to be able to field Mechanicus!

FashaTheDog
04-09-2013, 13:17
Ah, I'm under the impression that 30k is not properly 'balanced' vs 40k?

Ah, I'm under the impression that 40k is not properly 'balanced' vs 40k?

Fizzy
04-09-2013, 13:44
Ah, I'm under the impression that 40k is not properly 'balanced' vs 40k?

Pretty much this. Also Mechanicus is not as powerful as the marines. The only thing people consider to be a bit OP is their Titans. But I guess its rare to use them.

The Black Shield
04-09-2013, 19:14
I stand corrected.

purge the daemon
04-09-2013, 23:34
tbh titans aren't that op not the warhound at least (unless rules have changed...) reaver on the other hand just cleans the table off.

Fizzy
05-09-2013, 00:23
tbh titans aren't that op not the warhound at least (unless rules have changed...) reaver on the other hand just cleans the table off.

Not playing apocalypse and using normal units can be tricky for many armies. Space marines have no issues but other 40K armies will really struggle or get blown off the table.

FashaTheDog
05-09-2013, 03:18
Not playing apocalypse and using normal units can be tricky for many armies. Space marines have no issues but other 40K armies will really struggle or get blown off the table.

Dark Eldar will also have a field day with titans.

El_Machinae
05-09-2013, 12:52

Because the table gets cleared so quickly, or because they cannot damage the titan?