PDA

View Full Version : Night Lords - Viable?

Wesser
02-09-2013, 21:35
Hey

Been off 40k for a loooong while but considering making it back in.

I'd be doing a Night Lords army, but I Wonder if it is viable?

The core of the army would a Daemon Prince, raptors and standard Space marines as well as some terminators

How far would that get me in terms of all-comers at least half-competitive army? You know, non-tourny but wanna be able to whack the friends?

Assuming the Night lords theme of terror tactics, surgical strikes and infiltration what should I be considering to add? For example I'd leave most standrad tanks at home and the Dark Apostle doesnt seem appropriate either.

Any thoughts?

Scribe of Khorne
02-09-2013, 21:44
Down this path lies only madness....and tears....and trolling.

Can you make a fun army out of CSM? Sure. All comers and half competitive? Well, not likely on the first, possibly on the second, completely dependent on the players you face.

I would do some solid reading in the tactics forum as the answers you receive will be contradictory and many.

Grndhog89
02-09-2013, 23:40
According to the resident CSM community on here it is impossible to do Night Lords with the current CSM codex. Also according to them, you should not use a Daemon Prince as your main HQ because that is completely anathema to Night Lords. I feel differently, and think that there are plenty of chaotic bands of Night Lords running amock (reference: Lord of the Night). Don't adopt the tunnel vision view of all raptors and no chaos ever that is espoused by so many CSM players here on the boards.

As for units........I'd say CSM squads in rhinos with dirge casters (for fluffiness), a squad of raptors, squad of bikes, and maybe some Warp Talons. These are very Night Lords-ish to me.

Retrospectus
03-09-2013, 00:08
If you're willing to go forge world then the dreadclaw would seem appropriate

Fizzy
03-09-2013, 00:19
If you're willing to go forge world then the dreadclaw would seem appropriate

They dont have it for sale anymore.

mr.hardrada
03-09-2013, 00:24
According to the resident CSM community on here it is impossible to do Night Lords with the current CSM codex. Also according to them, you should not use a Daemon Prince as your main HQ because that is completely anathema to Night Lords. I feel differently, and think that there are plenty of chaotic bands of Night Lords running amock (reference: Lord of the Night). Don't adopt the tunnel vision view of all raptors and no chaos ever that is espoused by so many CSM players here on the boards.

As for units........I'd say CSM squads in rhinos with dirge casters (for fluffiness), a squad of raptors, squad of bikes, and maybe some Warp Talons. These are very Night Lords-ish to me. What he said but add dreadclaws as well. If the Hellturkey doesn't fit into your list then look at the Hell Talon/ Hell Blade. I imagine serfs could be trained to pilot those. Night Lords tend to be less chaotic imo but there are Warbands such as those of Krieg Acerbus, whom is a daemon prince.

Marshal_Loss
03-09-2013, 03:31
Raptors and Warp Talons seem appropriate! Perhaps read the books by AVB to get a feel for the Legion and how they operate. Also, with Massacre: Part 1 being released from Forge World in the next month or two, it may pay to wait in case you wish to use the new Night Lord rules/models that will surely be coming

jubilex
03-09-2013, 08:09
Assuming the Night lords theme of terror tactics, surgical strikes and infiltration what should I be considering to add?
With a daemon prince, it will have to be dedicated to a god, so you will have to conviniently forget that.
As there are no infiltraitors at all in the book, you will need to rely on rolling a warlord trait, or take huron (or ahriman, though that seems more of a stretch), paint him blue and conviniently forget about that as well.

Best hope probably lies in a supplement, but who knows if that will happen?
Good luck with it.

Durfast
03-09-2013, 08:13
Also according to them, you should not use a Daemon Prince as your main HQ because that is completely anathema to Night Lords.

I've three words for them, 'Vandred, the Exalted'. Now one might argue that he was possessed rather than a Daemon Prince, but the difference to his warband was, I suggest, irrelevant.

So crack on :D

Harwammer
03-09-2013, 08:54
With how it plays and after reading the fluff of how they come in to existance I have to say I could imagine a helldrake or two tagging along with a nightlord warband. For the sake of variety it is probably better to take just the one helldrake (max) and then raptors, warp talons and/or bikes for your remaining fast attack choices.

For your assault squads I'd suggest taking large units. Overwhelming force is very much a nightlords thing.

With regard to the antipathy towards daemons; I think this is more that NL feel the chaos powers are beneath them and not to be trusted. I don't think this means they won't use space marines turned daemons (although they would probably be looked down on and used in fewer number. I doubt many voluntarily become possessed, but I can imagine many go through unwitting, slow transformations such as warp talons and hell drakes). I'd be reluctant to take allies from the chaos daemons codex (fluffwise) unless they were to be used as cheap throw away units.

On the table your tactics want to be geared around causing leadership tests as this reflects the tactical doctrines of the nightlords. Try focusing fire to cause 25% casualties, make tank shocks and so on.

Wesser
03-09-2013, 09:24
I love the Daemon prince model.. I'll just think of the mark as something count-as.

I'm still needing some input on my initial selection. Will it struggle because they are underpowered, lacks tankbusting etc. etc.?

I'm pretty much a Helldrake hater... but maybe I could use one of them space marine fliers as a replacement... Hows that?

Retrospectus
03-09-2013, 15:51
What about deamon engines? I know the NL disdain chaos but don't they also use it as a tool when it suits them? I can see them forcibly binding deamons into machines for their purposes

Gossipmeng
03-09-2013, 15:59
Fluffy nightlords will not be competitive, but a CSM spam list painted dark blue with lightning can be competitive.

Harwammer
03-09-2013, 19:01
I'm pretty much a Helldrake hater... but maybe I could use one of them space marine fliers as a replacement... Hows that?

Which part do you hate about the Helldrake? That it is a space marine that is so dedicated to hit and run warfare, bringing terror from the skies, that he becomes a daemon dedicated to it (and against his own will)? Or is it more of a modelling issue? If its modelling, yeah just convert a different fighter model to look like a marine that has become daemonically attuned/trapped in to his own craft. I don't think a direct swap proxy/counts as would work well.

Or just take a big squad of bikes, one of raptors and one of warp talons for your fast attack :D.

Scribe of Khorne
03-09-2013, 19:02
Fluffy nightlords will not be competitive, but a CSM spam list painted dark blue with lightning can be competitive.

Scratch 'fluff nightlords' enter 'csm primary' and you are probably closer to the truth.

I'm sorry, I really am. I dont want to do this again, but look around folks. Think its just warseer that has reams of disgust for the CSM book? Check BnC, check BolS right now.

You start a CSM army at your own peril.

EDIT:

Thats coming from someone who has, or has owned:

3K World Eaters
2K Khorne Daemons
2K Noise Marines

And is building Black Legion. Your mind will fragment, and you'll carry hatred in your heart, every.single.game.

Virulentus
03-09-2013, 19:46
Ignore the dramatic types.

I've never had more fun with my Nurgle army. Take some Daemonic allies, and have an absolute blast.

Lord Damocles
03-09-2013, 19:49
Boo hoo, you might not walk through the GT, with all before you bowing to your undeniable might; but you can make a perfectly decent list from Codex: Chaos Space Marines without just spamming Helldrakes/Obliterators.

Night Lords have Daemon Princes (their super special rules in that hallowed tome which was the 3.5 Codex even said as much!) - you'll just have to have him be extra angry/shrouded/speedy/warpy.

You could take lots of Raptors/Warp Talons, or you could go against the flanderisation of Night Lords and take bikes, or even some Havoks, Cultists, heavy armour etc.
You could even invest in some allies. Vraxian Renegades would be good for a Lost and the Damned/Daemonworld style detachment, or Daemons - you could have Furies as canon-fodder, and a Bloodthirster as a Greater Fury or something.

mr.hardrada
03-09-2013, 21:23
Speak not such heresy Lord Damocles. The CSM dex is utter poo. As has been decreed by our most vocal CSM community here. ;) Oh Lawd...... I also found that CSM can get infiltrate and I believe sniper rifles if you take them as elites in the 1st Siege of Vraks book. Not that sniper rifles are Night Lordsish but the infiltrators is nice. Night Lords can be done and amongst friends you could make your own rules as long as they're fair/ costed appropriately.

Scribe of Khorne
03-09-2013, 22:05
I'll suffer your slings and arrows, it wont change the facts. Can you have fun with the book? Sure can as evidence by my masochistic need to keep playing and building, and painting.

It doesnt mean the book doesnt suck as a product of the rules and the interaction it has with the core rules and other newer books.

Just saying, do your reading, its your $100's, or $1000's (I weep...) of investment so go in with your eyes open.

Rentacle Tape
03-09-2013, 22:06
If you're seeking a fluffy Night Lord list, C:CSM is capable of creating one.

If power is your motivation, just paint the appropriate cult-units of choice as Night Lords, because the fluff doesn't matter to you.

Either way, the codex can handle Night Lords.

Inquisitor Shego
03-09-2013, 23:01
To the creator of this thread - Do what makes you happy :D

Can you make fluffy Night Lords? Depends. There is no solid view of the Night Lords. When an author/article writer does something official for Games Workshop on the Night Lords, they add their own interpretations. When you make an army list, you'll add your own interpretation to it. My interpretation will differ from say, yours, or Grndhog, or Scribe of Khorne. How do I feel about the codex? That's another story.

Scribe of Khorne
03-09-2013, 23:39
Hey, I'm just doing the Lords work here. I am not judging or pushing an interpretation.

Muad'Dib
03-09-2013, 23:52
This subsequently may bolster an argument in favor of the Chaos Marine codex being used to represent NL. What other marine book can adequately show your marines' allegiance to the gods?
What if someone is playing an unaligned or Undivided Night Lords? In such case, he won't even think to mark his units.
Also needing marks/icons to show that you are aligned with the Gods is not the only take on translating background to rules. 5th edition WFB Warriors of Chaos had no marks for units, for example.

And yes, I am attempting to provide him with an alternative perspective
You're not giving an alternative, you're saying that...

While the CSM codex isn't an ideal representation it also is still the best fit for NL than any other official book.

Which, especially stated without any supporting evidence or argument (other than "Chaos has Daemons and marks" which not all Night Lords, and other CSM, use) is definitely not an "even and balanced idea"...even more so when you have to support it with trying to deride the opposite side of discussion as "angsty" etc.

It boils down to either wanting Daemonic or marked units and vehicles in your army, or having more Marine options; like Drop Pods or all the biker stuff that DA and White Scars get. Night Lords with Warp Talons and Helldrakes are not innately more 'right' than Night Lords with Drop Pods, Raptors as troops and Apothecaries (Sanguinary Priests); Mephiston can be a Daemon Prince.

What you're doing is presenting your view that one should use the 'proper' codex in some kind of fluffy light. But you gave no argument or list of reasons as to why exactly CSM codex fits (Undivided) Night Lords better than other SM codices. You just attempt to pass it as the default justified stance by stating "It's more Chaotic due to marks and Daemons"; and bulk up your post with attempts to deride those that want to play a different kind of Night Lord warband/force (by using a different codex); so that your view that "CSM codex is best for representing NLs" appears to be the only valid one.

nor are they the anti-chaos renegades you so desperately want them to be.

So you consider Zso Sahaal not a true Night Lord, because he doesn't fit your argument? Does liking Zso's stance in Lord of the Night make me a 'desperate' Night Lord fan?...

Ssilmath
04-09-2013, 02:07
Goodness sakes, are we having another struggle for nerd dominance?

To the OP. CSM and Raptor squads are pretty middle of the road, nothing top tier but strong enough to provide a fun, tough game in a more casual environment. Terminators aren't too bad either, but can get expensive really damn fast. If you are wanting to keep with the fast strikers theme for Night Lords, Bikers are a good choice to augment your Raptors, Rhinos for the CSM squads, special weapon Havocs for close fire support and gun tanks (Predators and Vindicators) are plenty fluffy.

As for Daemon Princes, go for it. Some of the Night Lords, exemplified by Zso Sahaal, feel that embracing Chaos is a sign of weakness. Others, such as the Daemon Prince who mocked him, feel that Chaos is just another tool to be used. So go wild. And if you want to run non CSM codexes, you'll just have to explain away why your Raptors that have a chance of going into a psychotic rage represent your forces better than Raptors that cause Fear.

corps
04-09-2013, 02:19
Krieg Acerbus is a deamon prine of the night lords leading the largest nightlords warband according to the lexicanum. . the lexicanum give the source so i tend to believe them. But and this a big but, the largest doesn't mean the majority, it meanhis band his simply the larger in size compare to other warbands. Remenber that the nightlords captain have strong rivalries and the consequences is that their legion is one of the most fragmented of the traitor legions. The lexicanum emphasize also that is a rare exception to the mainstream nightlords.

As to Vandred Anrathi "the exalted" his willingness to be possessed seaprate him from the majority of his own band, especially the soul hunter, Talos Valcoran and Macharion the dreadnought.

So fluffwise we are don to two "deamons" while in the novel and codexe there is a permanency that the nighlords don't worship chaos and that may be an explanation as why there geneseed is among the purest , loyal fomer legions included.

In on case "the ashen war" (source badab war part 2) some Nightlords fall under the domination of a poweful deamon. Once again this is a exception not the rule. the nightlords loathing of chaos and their strong will prevent this to be a rule. Zso Sahaal, used of hive gang and people beliving him to act for the emperor is a example of this.

So yes you can have another exeption as to why your nigthlords army is lead by a deamon lord and why you have spawn, possessed, warptalon and such. But in this case maybe the world bearer could be better suit your army. If you want to be fluff and competitive, use what you want but keep the deamons at the minimum. Don't forget that you are not resticted to foot troop. Landraider, bikes and other option. i sugest cultist and renegades IG. The nightlords arent shy to use auxiliaries.

Ssilmath
04-09-2013, 02:27
Isn't is just easier to say that a Night Lords leader does what he damn well pleases, and that while most refuse the call of the daemon some welcome it?

mr.hardrada
04-09-2013, 02:52
@ Corps- I thought that prior to the ADB trilogy the Night Lords had reunited and post ADB trilogy Decimus is preparing for the 13th Black Crusade.

Muad'Dib
04-09-2013, 02:52
Another Night Lord Daemon Prince was also mentioned in Eye of Terror fluff, in regards to a SM chapter diverting their forces to fight him.
Acerbus' forces were so large that it is heavily implied, in the Imperial report at the end, that the entire plot of the book was initiated by Eldar so his Night Lords wouldn't devastate or destroy Alaitoc.

The First Heretic and Prince of Crows give us examples of Night Lords being on the opposite end of the spectrum

@ corps: I would be (very) careful when stating what is the 'norm' etc. in regards to Night Lords; and CSM as a whole. There is, relatively, very small amount of fluff to go by - we don't even have any general info how CSM recruit; just several specific examples over all the years. The tens (hundreds?) of thousands of Legionaries are given much less info than single Chapters consisting of ~1k Marines.
I think this is partly because the majority of fluff space in the codex is taken by general introductory talk about Gods and the Heresy.

corps
04-09-2013, 04:42
As a french i don't use much terms like ADB so i don't know what you talk about. As for the "norm" i merely etheir quotes the lexicanum or my personal knowledge of the novels. Having quite a large collection of it, i don't think i am far from the general lore about them. I mentioned the few precise exception about what we know about them. My personal view is base on the novel, the lexicanum and what was the best codex for chaos space marine the 3rd edition. P 42.

I didn't talk about chaos space marine but specifically the Nigthlords. It s my opinion about them, that s all. Same for my advises about how he could build his army. They are base on my opinion. you are wright in that the codex is base more on gods and heresy. But i play since 20 years so i tend to accumlate sources. I m not a great gamer true but i malso an historian by formation, so i look more on the fluff than the rest. I try to collect as much data as possible specifically about the least explored part of the fluff that are dispach throught several years and support.

This is not to say that i m right, i could be wrong. This to say that when i express an opinion it is, i think, back up by good knowledge. We have to think that since there are exeption to the rules than the rules is the contrary to the exceptions.

I appologies for my writting. It s 5 in the morning and i m just here cause i have trouble sleep. i also appologize if my english is broken sometimes as it seem to irritate some english primary language users. I know it s off topic but i had to explain why i can be hard sometime to decipher. this is not a agressive post, so don't take it as such

cordially

Asi the Red
04-09-2013, 05:01
Hi corps! Just to keep you informed, when posters are talking about ADB they are talking about the author Aaron Dembski-Bowden who is responsible for several Night Lord books that are very highly regarded by the fanbase. Specifically, they are Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, and Void Stalker. He has also published some short stories and audio books I think, though I have not read / listened to those.

Also, I would not worry about your english too much - there are many native english speakers on these forums who are less coherent writers than you are.

Wesser
04-09-2013, 08:08
Which part do you hate about the Helldrake? That it is a space marine that is so dedicated to hit and run warfare, bringing terror from the skies, that he becomes a daemon dedicated to it (and against his own will)? Or is it more of a modelling issue? If its modelling, yeah just convert a different fighter model to look like a marine that has become daemonically attuned/trapped in to his own craft. I don't think a direct swap proxy/counts as would work well.

Or just take a big squad of bikes, one of raptors and one of warp talons for your fast attack :D.

The fact that it looks more like a fantasy dragon than an actual machine. If all this were a real the only way you'd get junk like that flying is if you shot it out of a cannon.

On topic I'm hearing some useful stuff, but kinda still need a "big picture" view.

My initial pick was Daemon Prince (mostly due to model), termies, raptors, space marine squads to fill out the core.

Now if I bulk this out with a Helldrake (converted..oh yes converted) and get some bikers in preference to a second raptor squad, then hows that looking?

My theme is my own as is what I like. I'm not gonna play super-competitive. I'm just trying to make sure that my friends won't have too much of an advantage once I've build my army

corps
04-09-2013, 13:59
Thank you Asi The Red

Okay that doesn't help non english first language speaker to use things like ADB, it like ASAP without dictionary. I m somewhat surprise not not find a dictionary of all the "ASAP" use here that would geratly help the german, spanish, polish, french and the other speaker. Thanks, for the moment there is in France only soul reaver, so for Blood Reaver i admit i refer to the lexicanum and other second hand information. As to know if Aaron Dembski-Bowden work is popular i can't say, personnaly i love it. But you will be surprised by what is popular in France and what is not.

i don' tknow if Aaron Dembski-Bowden is the author now tasked with Night lords. All i know is that he has difficulties to contact a previous author, Simon Spurier (the one who wrote about Sahaal) i think, when he was about to write his trilogy. So he face canon conflict. Even if it did better than other, they are still canon conflict. I also know the novel by Nick kyme, in the collection of novels "fear the allien" "prometheus requiem" where the raptor re severely reduce by the Salamander. This novel is the conterpart to the "core". "throne of lies " from the anthology "treachery of the space marines" where they deal with their callidus vengeance. "void stalker" where they deal with eldar.

If i remenber well, in the nowel "the master,biding" by Matthew Farrer, ( i love that novel)explain one methode of one warband of recruiting troops in a anadoned hive where only the children remain. the band is helped by a human sorceror/psycker. As a matter of fact apart from the Astropath necessary for the ship, i don't remnber librarian being use before and after the great heresy. In one novel, i think it's "the core" they use the prohet vision to locate a suitable astropath since their died. i don't remnber the novel from the anthology of "heroes of the space marine" by Peter Fehervari so maybe different information can be found in it.

back to the topics, i think that using the space marine codex and not the chaos space marines is a viable option to represent night lords. It s a option, i don't say you shoudl adopt it.

Wesser
05-09-2013, 09:36
Okay, I think I'll try to work out an army list that I think might 1) be fun to play, 2) that I think will be Night Lordish and 3) that I like the look off.

Then maybe it's easier making suggestions huh?

Modelwise... Anyone have experience with the Night lords upgrade pack and/or Dark vengeance miniatures? Was considering turning the tactical marines into night lords? Think that would require loads of clipping or just an easy head swap?

Augustus
04-11-2013, 19:39
I personally have some NL plague marines, simply because in the trilogy there is on one NL ship a berzerker, a tzeentch possessed captain, a slaanesh marine (not noise marine though), termies, raptors, what have you. This proves to me that although the NL don't respect worshippers, they do use them. Hence my plague marines.

If you want a dreadclaw assault pd, FW quit it, but this very illegal site still sells them: http://www.forgeworld-discount.com/products/items/12/Chaos/170/DreadclawAssaultPod.html

Have fun with your NL!

Cheers!

Mozzamanx
04-11-2013, 20:18
My initial pick was Daemon Prince (mostly due to model), termies, raptors, space marine squads to fill out the core.
Now if I bulk this out with a Helldrake (converted..oh yes converted) and get some bikers in preference to a second raptor squad, then hows that looking?

Obvious problem is that Bikes, Raptors and Heldrakes all come from the Fast Attack slot and so if you want all 3, you're limited to taking them in singles. This won't necessarily be a problem but it might make future expansion trickier.
Neither the Daemon Prince nor the Heldrake can be properly recreated by the Loyalist equivalents and so if those are units you really want to field, you don't really have much wiggle room here. Daemon Princes work nicely when tricked out with a Mace but need dedication to a God, Terminators are generally best as disposable Melta/Plasma drops, and Chaos Marines tend to be Plasma junkies and stay out of trouble. Consider some Cultists purely for Scoring to avoid over-reliance on CSM and consider how you want to build your Raptor and Bike squads. Bikes are probably the 'better' choice in that they receive a whole load of combat improvements for a trivial points increase, but Raptors still have some utility as Melta drops. Both can work as Lord delivery systems as well, if you fancy a backup to the Prince at any time.

Grndhog89
04-11-2013, 20:52
Mozzamanx, no offense but this is the second thread you have performed threadcromancy on. Could you please start a new thread that maybe references or links back to older threads (such as this one) so we don't see long dead threads pop back up?

Mozzamanx
04-11-2013, 20:57
It was necroed before I got here and I thought the necro-limit was 3 months, not 2.

Spider-pope
04-11-2013, 21:21
Assuming the OP hasn't been put off in the time since he began this thread, 2014 looks to be a good year to do a Night Lords army. Forgeworld should begin producing more kits for them over the next few months, so a chance to grab some heads and bits to customize your army that don't look as ridiculous as the Finecast set.

Mozzamanx, no offense but this is the second thread you have performed threadcromancy on. Could you please start a new thread that maybe references or links back to older threads (such as this one) so we don't see long dead threads pop back up?

He didn't necro it.

Grndhog89
04-11-2013, 23:18
@Spider-pope and Mozzamanx;

You're right. My apologies. I didn't see the poster above you.

Menthak
04-11-2013, 23:46
two months is little to nothing when it comes to threadromancy.

As for a Night lords list. Anything goes in terms of units IMO, with the obvious exceptions (Plague Marines, Thousand Sons, Noise marines (Khorne berzerkers aren't on this list because I think that if you wanted a full assault warband they'd be a good melee troops choice (assuming you have a khorne lord))).

I do wonder, why aren't Daemon-Princes considered unfluffy for night lords? A giant monstrocity that shouldn't be? That would spread plenty of terror.

Harwammer
05-11-2013, 12:01
Menthak, how can you say Night Lord Plague marines are a no go on the same page as Augustus' beautiful batwinged skullface conversions! Augustus those guys look ace in night lords colours!

I do agree with you Menthak that Khorne Berserkers are the most legitimate cult choice for Night Lords though; World Eaters notorious for tagging along with other warbands (I'm not really sure how welcome those crazies are as ship-guests though). On top of that Night Lords and 'Zerkers can be painted with a similar palette (dark armour, brass trimming and red detailing vs red armour, brass trimming and dark detailing), keeping a uniform appearance while making sure the zerkers stand out from the regular CSMs!

corps
05-11-2013, 13:36
Seriously, there is a limit to dig up topic? i thought it s better than to start it again the same one. Isn't it why the search function is?
back to the topics as don't see how khorne is the most legitimate choice. Night lords tactiques requires some subtility and how can they appreciate the effectiveness of their terror tactiques if ll they can do is go berzerk?

I tend to think that they have use for berzerker as a terror weapon but not much. Same goes with other gods. Nurgle ? if you can promise the population that the plague end if they surender to you, it s a psychological weapon. tzeentch? perfectly suited to the twisted mind of the Night Lords as a tool to device plan. Slaneesh? perfect to enjoy the terror of other and boost you. A addictive tool that one.

So sure you can have tools just tools.

Harwammer
05-11-2013, 15:52
No Corps, you're not allowed to post in a thread that has been unanswered for over a day. Nor must you post a thread that is similar to an existing one.

Basically, if the original participants have got as far as they want with the topic (or bored... or died at keyboard) but you're late to the party then your opinion is invalid ;).

So I'm done kidding around; You're right 'zerkers would be used as a terror weapon. The zerker squad doesn't need to appreciate the tactics of the Night Lords. The NLs can just point em at the enemy to be used as a distraction while the raptors and so on get to work.

corps
05-11-2013, 18:58
That' s good one. A similar situation happens with other legions unfortunately. It s a frequent disapointement with several editions of the codex.

Menthak
05-11-2013, 20:10
Menthak, how can you say Night Lord Plague marines are a no go on the same page as Augustus' beautiful batwinged skullface conversions! Augustus those guys look ace in night lords colours!

I do agree with you Menthak that Khorne Berserkers are the most legitimate cult choice for Night Lords though; World Eaters notorious for tagging along with other warbands (I'm not really sure how welcome those crazies are as ship-guests though). On top of that Night Lords and 'Zerkers can be painted with a similar palette (dark armour, brass trimming and red detailing vs red armour, brass trimming and dark detailing), keeping a uniform appearance while making sure the zerkers stand out from the regular CSMs!

When I said no plague marines, I meant the Elites version.

Fielding Night Lord infantry w/ Mark of Nurgle/Tzeentch/Slaanesh/Khorne is more than fine, I'm sure that any night lord worth their salt would be happy to jump on the Chaos wagon to gain more power.

The reason I said no to the Elites bar berzerkers is that berzerkers don't use a unique weapon as such, whereas the other elite cult units do (Special Bolters, Plague Knife/blight grenades, Sonic weapons). Basically I think bezerkers are generic enough to represent more than their original unit.

Harwammer
05-11-2013, 20:25
Ah, I see you meant berserkers (or equivalents) that are Night Lord legionnaires.

I think it works from both angles; they make sense as a mercenary World Eaters unit in a NL army or just a Night Lord shock trooper unit that fights similar to zerkers.

Menthak
05-11-2013, 22:34
Ah, I see you meant berserkers (or equivalents) that are Night Lord legionnaires.

I think it works from both angles; they make sense as a mercenary World Eaters unit in a NL army or just a Night Lord shock trooper unit that fights similar to zerkers.

That works too, but in that way it also works that they could have pretty much any unit they could buy. I'm sure Sonic weapons send shivers down any mans spine.

In which case, anything is fluffy for night lords.

Harwammer
06-11-2013, 04:14
Yea, I guess all it takes is one squad of Night Lords to see a cult unit in action and think "Damn, those guys are pretty terrifying. I shall become one!".