PDA

View Full Version : What did you preorder?

Sternguard777
02-09-2013, 23:26
Given the absolute mess the GW website was the day of release its fairly simple to deduce that the new space marine goodies were selling like hotcakes. So my question to you is what did everyone order? Also as an additional question I'd like to know which version of the codex was most popular so vote in the poll if you preordered a codex.

I just got the codex. Imperial Fists Edition, since Successors was sold out. I held back on getting anything else until I get a look at the codex. Though the new Vets have my eye.

Khorneguy
02-09-2013, 23:30
Nothing yet :( I'm ordering the codex, 2 boxes of Sternguard, a new Tactical squad, the new Librarian and a box of Vanguard Vterans when I get paid at the end of the month though :)

ftayl5
02-09-2013, 23:36
I was planning to pre-order the Imperial Fist one until I saw the price tag. More than double the original cost for a different picture on the cover... yeah right.

I have since ordered the plastic captain and a veteran squad. So beautiful.

Dreadnought05
02-09-2013, 23:52
I'd planned to get the Successors, and was trying the site on and off most of the day. By the time I actually got on it was sold out so didn't bother with any of the others.

Bamfpanda
03-09-2013, 00:04
I preorder'd the standard Codex and a box of tactical marines. Im waiting to read over the codex and put a list together before I order the rest of my new army.

tiger g
03-09-2013, 01:11
No need to preorder in my part. Just will pick up the codex at the store

MajorWesJanson
03-09-2013, 03:04
Placed a preorder at my FLGS- Basic codex, Warzone Damnos, 2x Sternguard, 1x Vanguard, 1x Tactical. Maybe either the Librarian or Captain and probably a few more paints on the day of. And I'm trading some bits off for more combi-weapons and hopefully more of the awesome little helmet crests.

Marshal_Loss
03-09-2013, 03:32
Didn't pre-order anything, may yet pick up a tactical squad for conversion parts/trophies to use on my CSM

duffybear1988
03-09-2013, 08:35
Basic codex was all I ordered.

Lord_Byron
03-09-2013, 09:06
I don't pre order with GW anymore, because when I do I end up getting my stuff a week and a half later than if I had just picked it up at the store. So I chose muffins. Mmm muffins.

Tae
03-09-2013, 09:24
IH ltd ed. everything else I'll just order from a 3rd party online store

Rick Blaine
03-09-2013, 09:38
The default cover art is the best, why would I pay double to downgrade?

Blempoll
03-09-2013, 10:08
I preordered the green spray.

I have 250 orks to paint.. I'd rather base in green and work from there than trying to highlight over black

williamsond
03-09-2013, 10:12
I just refuse to pay full price for GW stuff any more, I'm going to get my codex from my local independent retailer for 10% off

MagicHat
03-09-2013, 11:24

And all the cover arts is supposedly in the book, so why bother indeed.

Basic codex, Vanguards and Sternguards, from a local independent store.

duffybear1988
03-09-2013, 12:48

Let me save anyone the trouble of posting reasons -

Challenge: "Yeah but the limited ones have gold edges!"
Response: "For that price I would expect them to be real gold :D"

Challenge: "Oh and a built in bookmark... where would we be without a built in bookmark?"
Response: "Use your army list as a temporary bookmark, or a post-it note, etc."

Challenge: "It's going to hold it's value and be only one of 500 in the world."
Response: "Not when 7th edition hits and the book gets replaced. The army books are the one thing that doesn't hold value."

Challenge: "It's a luxury item that's wonderful in every way. Absolutely perfect!"
Response: "I'm placing bets on the amount of spelling mistakes and editing errors that are likely to be in it right now... I'm also going to be refreshing the GW website on day one waiting for the pre-release FAQ to drop."

I think that sums it all up. (Please note I say all this in jest yaddayadda...)

Starchild
03-09-2013, 15:21
I think that sums it all up. (Please note I say all this in jest yaddayadda...)

There was no need for the qualification. Your points are perfectly serious, and I'm happy to be saving money on a book that will surely see more than its fair share of wear & tear.

My main contention against collectors' editions is that they do little more than look pretty on a shelf. For a book that's actually used for games it's better to have something you don't mind being thrashed a bit now and then.

Anyway, to address the topic, I didn't preorder anything. I'm going to gauge everyone's experience with the new units and models for a while before investing any cash in them.

I think it's a bit amusing that WD claims Space Marine players spend more time and money on Tactical Squads than any other unit, when the general consensus here is that they are rubbish. It's a great kit though, and I'm sure many of us have preordered it mainly for the modeling and conversion possibilities.

Bamfpanda
03-09-2013, 15:35
I just refuse to pay full price for GW stuff any more, I'm going to get my codex from my local independent retailer for 10% off

Kind of like saying Im tired of getting cheated on by my wife so Im going to divorce her and pay her alimony for the next 20 years. Either way you're getting screwed. If you're willing to only spend 90% of GW prices its still not like you're getting a good deal. Not an argument for paying full price just saying the logic doesnt add up. Now if you're doing it to support your FLGS then I completely understand.

williamsond
03-09-2013, 16:31
As I've said in another thread, I was all good and ready to drop a couple of hundred pounds on new stuff, but the ridiculous prices of the new stuff put me off, so I'm only buying the minimum i need to carry on playing i.e. only the codex( I know the argument about still buying any thing but i like playing 40k and have an army that needs the new dex to keep using). Without turning this into another price thread, the codex is all i can justify (to myself) buying.

As for supporting my local independent I haven't bought a single thing directly from GW for years, I can't stand going into a GW store, the constant badgering and and the "look at the cool new stuff" just annoys me too much the last time I went into one i just told the salesman I collect squats to confuse the guy.

Getting back to the OP I couldn't see me pre-ordering anything from GW again, and definitely not what in my opinion is a poor product,when you look at what extra you're getting, compared to the standard book.

Sqallum
03-09-2013, 17:31
1 Box of Sternguard
1 Box of Vanguard
1 Box of Centurions
2 Boxes of Tacticals
Iron Hands Codex

Reinforcements for my Sons of Medusa!