PDA

View Full Version : New space marines, deciding on a chapter.

phoenix89
03-09-2013, 04:26
Hey there guys, I've been playing marines for about a year with ugly unpainted models. I've been split pretty much between raven guard, ultramarines and salamanders, seeing no issues with painting the three chapters. However, with the new book on the way and paint job actually associating you with certain abilities it seems its time for me to make that tough decision of how to paint them up. Given the backgrounds of the armies I'm very conflicted between ultramarines (I know they're not the most well liked but I love the Greek/roman theme) and salamanders and raven guard because of the sheer badassary. First off, does anyone know the civilization that raven guard and salamanders are based on like how ultramarines are based off Greece/Rome? My other thought was a chapter from a later founding, that way I could count it as one of the first founding chapters for their chapter tactics but not be stuck with it in every game I play. I would be more inclined to do this probably but I am a big fan of first founding chapters so... Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Charistoph
03-09-2013, 04:54
I am a big fan of DIY, personally, even more so now, but hey, that's not for everyone.

I should point out that the only time you're 'stuck using a paint job' is when you are deploying a Special Character like Shrike, Vulkan, or Calgar. No rules ever (aside from some REALLY anal people you probably shouldn't play any way) will require you to use a specific Trait or Mark just because you paint the armour one way.

So, which appeals to you more?
1) Being sneaky as you identify the key points of your enemy's assault and then bringing a rain of Drop Pods and Jump Infantry on their heads.
2) Bringing a company in to a fight because that is what the Codex Astartes recommends is the balanced approach to any enemy you face.
3) Burning and melting your enemies while laughing as their flames just lick your armour.

Do you prefer:
1) Birds
2) Romans
3) Lizards

What is your favorite color?
1) Black with a little white
2) Blue with a taste of rainbow
3) Green with a touch of black soot

Myrmidon
03-09-2013, 05:38
Do you prefer:
1) Birds
2) Romans
3) ******* SPACE DRAGONS

Fixed that.

Poseidal
03-09-2013, 07:56
Raven Guard are cool and need more representation.

Clang
03-09-2013, 08:05
I'd wait until you've had a good read through the new codex, especially the chapter-specific rules - unfortunately, rules don't always reflect fluff.

phoenix89
03-09-2013, 16:05
See char this is my problem, my answers to your questions are 1 2 and 3. Fluff wise to me is less prevalent than rules wise though, and I was under the impression that, based on the chapter not character, that you had to take certain abilities. Either way I would still like a unified paint theme. I've been doing raven guard so far but I do think I like salamanders a little more. I think I'm going to stick with clang here and take a look at how the new dex operates before setting anything in stone. Man this is a tough choice!

Charistoph
03-09-2013, 16:45
It is correct that the Chapter Traits are what determine your army's skills. It is also true that the HQ Special Characters, at least, are tied to specific chapter Traits.

The point I was trying to get across is that just because your marines are black and have a stylized bird on the shoulder doesn't require you to have Ravenguard Traits (unless you're fielding the Ravenguard Character, Shrike), unless you want them to. They could be the Dragon Hawks Chapter who came from the Salamanders or the UltraWings descended from the Ultramarines.

The only reasons to stick with any one progenitor is you like the Traits they provide and/or you REALLY like their fluff. That's it. They can be blue with inverted Omegas on their shoulder, and unless Calgar or another UM Character is on the board, they can be played as Black Templars.

This is why I support DIY so strongly. They are YOUR army and YOU determine how they fight and what their Traits are.

Heck, have a Cursed Founding Chapter that has geneseed from all the Loyalist Legions and each company has follows the Traits of their Primarchs. You are the primary limit of your army's story, so run with it.

Sir Didymus
03-09-2013, 18:25
Another advantage of a DIY paint scheme is that you aren't stuck with the SM 'dex, but you can also use Blood Angels and Space Wolves 'dexes :)

Camman1984
03-09-2013, 20:19
Still cant work out the wording and stuff for count as special characters. Will be glad when i get the book.

If they are tied to chapter traits does it mean you have to pick a chapter then have access to a specific characters or can i field them with whatever colour marines i want and they take the characters tactics. For example augustus shrikus leading the ultramarines assault company with RG tactics. Or a jagati maximus khan leading their bikers.

Charistoph
03-09-2013, 21:03
According to the rumors, you are correct. Every Codex: Space Marines army must have a Chapter Trait.

Special Characters are associated with specific Traits and cannot be used with any other, so your point about a blue sneaky Shrike or boosting Khan is correct. But these Characters will not have access to the Fists Bolter Drill, no matter how Yellow you paint them.

Camman1984
04-09-2013, 01:06
Thats what it hoped it meant. I want khan to lead my raptors, not shrike. Still have a long standing dislike for jump packs that no amount of RG CT will remove.

m1acca1551
04-09-2013, 02:35
You have decide this one for yourself, I'm looking at getting back into 40k with the new SM but I'm at point were I don't know who to choose, black Templars or Blood Ravens... Love the heavy presence of psykers how can you fight an enemy that knows your plans before you can even form the words to express them??? I think I have just made my own mind up hahaha

DIY, home brew whatever you want to call it is generally the best way as you can indulge in whatever you want, so you want a chapter that has tendencies toward bezerk close combat?? Because of the geneseed that they were given during the second founding ( world eaters) or troops that love attritional combat like the death guard of old? Some much potential and so much room for creatiinng your own story.

ronin_cse
04-09-2013, 15:35
Thats what it hoped it meant. I want khan to lead my raptors, not shrike. Still have a long standing dislike for jump packs that no amount of RG CT will remove.

I think the point that you may have missed here is that you can do "counts as" all day long with anything you want. If you paint your models like ultra-marines but want them to play like a white scars army then that is perfectly fine. You could even take the official Calgar model and say he counts as Khan if you want. The only thing you can't do is take Calgar as Calgar and use the White Scars chapter tactics.

Of course if you want to keep your army fluffy this isn't really an option but if that doesn't matter to you then just paint them however the hell you want and then pick out which chapter trait you like best.