PDA

View Full Version : If you could buy well painted minis for the same price as unpainted, would you do so?

Avian
03-09-2013, 12:05
A simple enough question: Let us say that due to some circumstances*, you could buy well painted minis for the same price as unpainted, unassembled ones. Would you do so?

Assume that availability isn't an issue and that you could get any models currently for sale. Of course it isn't realistic to get brand new models painted at the same price as unpainted ones, but on the other hand it's not too difficult to get older minis for much less than the unpainted price, so we'll assume that it evens out and that on average you pay as much for painted as unpainted.

* this could be someone selling second hand minis, or through some cheap painting service in another country or whatever

DaemonReign
03-09-2013, 12:15
Poll appears to be closed.
For my own (primary) army I would buy no painted models as a matter of prestige.
For the other armies in our gaming Group (secondary Collections) I've purchased quite a lot of painted stuff at varying levels of quality.

ashc
03-09-2013, 12:18
My option would be most if not all. I don't have anywhere near as much time to dedicate to painting these days, but I don't like armies of grey plastic.

Avian
03-09-2013, 12:18
I have sent a report to the mods, I don't know why that happened and the poll does say it's open. :confused:

zoggin-eck
03-09-2013, 12:24
Never for me.

I've bought the odd really well painted model in second hand lots, and felt weirdly bad when re-painting, but there's something personal about using/displaying only my own models (even if I know I'm not the best painter).

I can understand people who would, of course.

Lastavenger
03-09-2013, 13:05
If models were assembled well, then i would buy all minis. I could play with most of them and partially, one or two a time, strip and paint them myself.

Obfuscate
03-09-2013, 13:49
I would. Just for the sole purpose that it would then be tournament legal and I could 'repaint' them at my leisure.

Shrapnels
03-09-2013, 14:01
I wouldn't buy any of painted models, as I really enjoy painting and playing with my own army.
You can shape the army theme after your liking and see how it gets smacked down by HPA :D

Roodie1978
03-09-2013, 14:07
I would have to vote for about half. The reason being is that I like painting my main army, along with the converting and fluff side of it. However I would like to try different armies for all systems, however having a young family does cut in to my hobby time. And I hate playing with grey models, i do do it, but i hate it.

Lord Solar Plexus
03-09-2013, 14:08
I would primarily buy painted ones. It's simply not my forte, and stuff looks crap even after all this time. Just seeing some models makes me feel ashamed, so I'd happily let someone with better eyes do it.

IcedCrow
03-09-2013, 14:09
I only paint my own stuff. I'd never pay someone else to do it. Or buy prepainted models.

However I know a lot of people hate the idea of painting so that would be very appealing to them.

Denny
03-09-2013, 14:12
I like painting. I'd never buy pre-painted stuff (unless it was to strip the paint)
I'd feel like the miniatures weren't 'mine' if I let someone else paint them.

Irrational, and no offence meant to non-painters. Thatís just how I roll. :cool: ;)

jestacardo
03-09-2013, 14:28
Would never buy pre-painted stuff myself, your armies' are a reflection on yourself and no matter how badly painted they are, they're still an important element of self expression in my book.

I purposefully avoid systems with pre-painted miniatures and would drop any that moved over to that model.

Feefait
03-09-2013, 15:07
My friends and I got into Conforntation primarily because the minis were so cool and we were a bit tired of Warhammer. Unfortunately, we were in at the end of it's life as we knew it. It transitioned to a pre-painted plastic phase, which killed it apparently. My friends immediately bailed because even though they paint an average of 1-2 models a YEAR they still want the option. Personally I loved it. I am a big purveyor of pre-painted models on Ebay, and would buy all my stuff painted if it weren't cost prohibitive.

Blagan
03-09-2013, 15:22
Every model, hate painting, I just wanna play the game with a nice looking army, would be brilliant for me.

SteveW
03-09-2013, 16:30
I used to repaint my heroclix minis, that's how much I like to paint.

BigbyWolf
03-09-2013, 18:01
I would buy most of them. They only things I can paint well are the large models, like monsters and things like that. I'm truly awful at the smaller ones and don't really have the time to develop my skill anymore. I do tend to wish I'd enjoyed painting when I was younger as I would have had the opportunity to practise more.

If I ever decided to start up a new army under this scenario I reckon all of my "units" of troops would be pre-painted, and I'd save anything on a 40mm+ base for myself.

I know it's all an opinion, but surely if your army is;

badly painted

and

your armies' are a reflection on yourself

That might be a reason why some might want to buy the painted ones? If the army is badly painted, and you judge the player by the army, then why would you want to play against them?

RTGamer
03-09-2013, 18:29
Considering I paint models for some in my gaming group I wouldn't buy them. My rates are normally just over the cost of the model becasue I enjoy painting that much plus with a discount that I get from my LGS I can do it and still make 20% on the base cost of the models.

So I'd vote for none. If anyone wants to try 5% over cost let me know.

Wintermute
03-09-2013, 18:59
I have sent a report to the mods, I don't know why that happened and the poll does say it's open. :confused:

Its because the Poll is in a different thread

Wintermute

Tarax
04-09-2013, 10:45
It's theraputic, and I get to choose my own scheme.
But if I wasn't able to paint anymore, and someone would use my scheme, then I would consider it.
However, with so many unpainted (and unassembled) models lying around here, I just hope these can be painted first, before new models are bought.

Herzlos
04-09-2013, 11:27
If I could get them in the right colour scheme I'd buy painted core units any time. I still enjoy painting character models and models I've bought purely for painting, I don't think I'd miss not having to paint dozens of standard infantry figures.

~Aura~
04-09-2013, 13:01
When I was younger I wanted to just get everything painted for me, but now I won't even consider calling a miniature finished and ready to go into the army if I didn't paint it myself. It pains me to paint strip some of the paint jobs from second-hand figures I've acquired (I never factor in the paint job when considering their prices but even so I've acquired some quite nicely painted stuff down the line), but if I don't do it it won't feel like "my" miniature; plus, it likely won't gel with the rest of my figures paint-style wise.

Nogginthenog
04-09-2013, 13:06
Nope.

The most enjoyment I get is from painting my stuff, great way to lose a couple of hours and forget the stress and hassle of life. Indeed, due to the stress and hassle of life I don't get to play so often, without painting, I'd just be buying toy soldiers and doing nothing with them.

shelfunit.
04-09-2013, 13:22
If I could get the models pre-de-mould lined, primed and base coated to the exact colour scheme I wanted then I would happily buy them to that level. In that state they are immediately playable to a passable standard and I can work to improve them to a better standard at my leisure. I think that to work the "pre-paint" would really have to be completely bespoke to whatever the individual wanted, an off the shelf pre-set small range of colors/options would not work.

Abaraxas
04-09-2013, 14:42
While I do enjoy painting (in a weird kind of way) I wouldn't mind pre painted if it was truly decent.

williamsond
04-09-2013, 14:42
I just enjoy painting too much.

Kalidane
04-09-2013, 15:06
I actually started 40k by trading my PS1 for a small-medium 2nd Ed Space Wolves army.

Anything I buy painted gets stripped and I've no interest putting models on a table which someone else painted.

'Hey cool army!'

'Ah yeah some guy did that'

'Oh'

MarcoSkoll
04-09-2013, 15:11
None for me.

I do find endless painting tedious, but that has been mitigated by just sticking to skirmish-size games. Plus, I love converting - and I can't convert something without having to repaint it!

Sephillion
04-09-2013, 15:59
I voted a few. Iím not sure I would ever do this, and if I did, it would be only a few models. More probably from someone I know, because I get a good discount or something like that.

Lars Porsenna
04-09-2013, 16:38
I voted no. Like others I enjoy the craftmanship side of the hobby, I can usually do a better job, and it also means I can customize to my preference, rather than accept what someone else has decided.

Damon.

EmperorNorton
04-09-2013, 17:02
I see painting more as a necessary evil than anything else.
I used to hate it, but now I even enjoy it somewhat, although I am still underwhelmed by my painting most of the time.
If the paintjobs offered were up to my standards and it did not make any difference as far as money was concerned, I'd buy most of my minis painted. Some I'd still like to paint myself, maybe devote more time to them to hopefully make them look better.

Angelwing
04-09-2013, 18:02
I'd certainly think about it.
This is separate from buying badly painted stuff second hand and stripping + cleaning it back to life. That has a high satisfaction level all in itself.

Coldhatred
04-09-2013, 19:38
I'm honest enough with myself that I voted that I'd buy them all pre-painted. It's possible that I'd want some of the characters unpainted, but the majority I'd want already done. I simply don't have much time anymore, and painting isn't my favorite part, the reading and the playing is.

Dryaktylus
04-09-2013, 20:21
Most of my miniatures are conversions now, so I couldn't buy them. And if it's possible to get someone into painting them I would say no.

They shall be my finest models, these miniatures who my wallet gives to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of my hobby table forge them. They will be of metal, plastic or resin. In Green Suff shall I clad them and with the coolest bits will they be armed. They will be untouched by pre-painting, no one others colours will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so I can lead them into battle. They are my bulwark against the Boredom. They are the Base of my Hobby. They are my toy soldiers and they shall know no fear of my average painting skills.

vlad78
05-09-2013, 10:12
I would buy the most generic one AND add things to make them look better.

Tarax
05-09-2013, 10:14
..., without painting, I'd just be buying toy soldiers and doing nothing with them.

This +1. It just gives you something to do between battles.

AsleepByDay
05-09-2013, 11:06
I selected a few as I currently have four armies that I am trying to paint for and not a great deal of time in which to do so.

What I would find way more awesome would be the ability to customise what colour the plastic was so I could skip the initial coat of spray paint and just start painting.

Agrimax
05-09-2013, 11:31
Character models, centrepiece vehicles etc never.
Rank and file “Oh god I’ve got another 37 identical models to paint, I want to shoot myself” - absolutely I'd buy ready painted given the option.

redben
05-09-2013, 11:51
I voted about half but in practice it may wind up even higher than that. There are so many games I'd like to play I can't realistically paint minis for all of them.

lbecks
05-09-2013, 12:05
No, i like painting.

Vet.Sister
05-09-2013, 16:35
I voted that I would buy most of my minis painted with the understanding i could specify color scheme,etc, etc...
I enjoy painting single figs very much, it's just that I get burnt out after the first or second squad of nearly identical infantry.

loveless
05-09-2013, 19:47
I always feel bad if I'm not using a miniature I've assembled and painted myself. I'm weird like that, even if it takes me a decade to finish an army :p

Avian
05-09-2013, 20:45
Interesting. I didn't expect the results to be quite so skewed. The original plan was to have one thread in each of the FB General and 40K General forums and see if there was any difference, but then this one had a problem with the database and got moved here before it got resolved. Oh well.

Gossipmeng
05-09-2013, 21:13
Painted minis would kill half of the hobby for me. I'm not at a pro painter level, but I'm proud of my efforts.

Some commission painters pump out some awesome miniatures, but the buyers get no respect from me - as far as I'm concerned you are fielding primed miniatures. I'd much rather see a poor paint job from someone who at least tried.

MarcoSkoll
06-09-2013, 01:05
... even as someone who wouldn't personally even consider have someone else paint my models, I think that kind of antipathy is the wrong attitude.
It takes a long time to learn decent painting skills; for some people, the time is far more valuable than the money and an actual game is more important to them than getting kudos for painting skill.

If we're going to get into that kind of thing, what next? Start criticising people who buy miniatures rather than sculpting themselves?
Yeah, I guess you can argue painting one's own models is more of a norm than sculpting them, but hey... as long as no-one's taking credit for someone else's work, I'm cool with it.

ntw3001
06-09-2013, 02:03
If I were collecting any of GW's current games, I'd buy painted. I've got no interest in painting the same guy twenty times. What I actually do is kitbash bits and pieces into Necromunda gangs, hive scum, whatever. I prefer to paint that myself. Those models are personal. But really, the reason I'd buy armies painted is the same reason I don't buy armies at all: They bore me.

Caiphas Cain
06-09-2013, 02:08
Painted minis would kill half of the hobby for me. I'm not at a pro painter level, but I'm proud of my efforts.

Some commission painters pump out some awesome miniatures, but the buyers get no respect from me - as far as I'm concerned you are fielding primed miniatures. I'd much rather see a poor paint job from someone who at least tried.

I agree completely. The only way I'd condone buying painted minis is if they are just for display, or the buyer has a disability that hampers their ability to paint well (color blindness or tremors).

Agrimax
06-09-2013, 11:42
I don't get it. People who don't game but paint models for display are accepted, yet somehow the gaming aspect is a package deal and if that's what you enjoy then you have to enjoy the modelling/painting as well?
Different people like different things, looking down on those that prefer one aspect of the hobby seems strange to me, at least if they've bought painted the've made an effort not to just have an army of grey plastic, talk of not 'condoning' or 'respecting' them to me is just incredibly snobbish. So long as they're a fun opponent to play against, who cares what the source of the miniatures is?

blackcherry
06-09-2013, 14:42
I think I would probably give it a go as I don't like painting that much. However, it would feel odd playing with minis that I hadn't painted, as if something were missing.

theunwantedbeing
06-09-2013, 14:57
I don't get it. People who don't game but paint models for display are accepted, yet somehow the gaming aspect is a package deal and if that's what you enjoy then you have to enjoy the modelling/painting as well?
Nobody says you have to enjoy painting, the demand is to have painted troops.
That and those who only paint aren't denying games to anyone, or making the games people do have any less enjoyable.
They are of course missing out on the gaming part by only painting.

Different people like different things, looking down on those that prefer one aspect of the hobby seems strange to me, at least if they've bought painted the've made an effort not to just have an army of grey plastic, talk of not 'condoning' or 'respecting' them to me is just incredibly snobbish.
There's nothing wrong with hating to paint, we all do from time to time.
What you can't argue against is that an unpainted army is as exactly as fun to play against as a painted one, it just isn't as the visual quality doesn't exist. As most gamers aren't completely blind, this detracts.

So long as they're a fun opponent to play against, who cares what the source of the miniatures is?
Often those who only game aren't a lot of fun to play against.
They tend to be WAAC types, or rules lawyers, or cheats, or some combination of the three.

AsleepByDay
06-09-2013, 16:17
You could turn the respect thing about and say that you respect the effort made by players who paint their own armies.
That means much the same thing but seems a lot mess judgmental.

arthurfallz
06-09-2013, 18:47
Voted yes, yes, yes, yes. Take my money!

I enjoy painting, but I by the models to play the game. And since I'm the only one in my group that bothers to paint his models (some of my primed models are still more paint than my opponents have ever put on their figures), it would improve my game drastically. As long as the paint jobs were okay (well above the Heroclix level, for example).

DeathGlam
06-09-2013, 23:24
If i could purchase an army painted to the same standard of my skill (neat table top standard) and in the colour of my choosing then yes id probably only ever buy pre-painted stuff, as i quite like painting when i do it but i really struggle with lack of time and energy with everything else in my life, combined with easy boredom of painting something similar for to long, as i still have never fully painted a BB team but i really hate playing with unpainted stuff.

Sheena Easton
07-09-2013, 01:03
Unless it was a whole army that was painted in the manner I envisaged, then I'd buy a few painted minis at most - a couple of monsters / swarms, the odd character or War Machine but not troops. I did once buy some painted Spearelves that I ended up repainting completely (alongside the rest of the unit as they just didn't look right together) and a painted Reaver Knight Standard Bearer to use as my Battle Standard Bearer that I left alone simply because it fitted my colour scheme yet was different enough to stand out as a character.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-09-2013, 14:46
I like the idea of painting miniatures myself. Realistically I don't really enjoy it that much and assuming it was the right conditions I'd probably just buy them painted.