PDA

View Full Version : How can I make Tau more fun to face in battle..?

Merellin
04-09-2013, 11:51
So, My primary army are Tau. I love them, I love their models, I love their fluff, they are awesome. Unfortunately my opponents dont find them fun to play against calling them the least fun army to face... So I was wondering, How does one make Tau more fun to play against? Anyone have any tips or ideas?

Ratbeast
04-09-2013, 11:55
Never take the same list twice, change it up

Bendermanuk
04-09-2013, 11:57
I think the new supplement will make it better, giving more combat options. Not necessarily more fun, but more of a battle anyways.

MajorWesJanson
04-09-2013, 12:08
Count them as Necrons for a few games, Tau will be much more pleasant to face after that :p

Merellin
04-09-2013, 12:23
Actualy my friends find Necrons more fun to play against then Tau... The guy I play against most love facing necrons with his marines and eldar, But he find Tau to be extremely boring..

soullessginger
04-09-2013, 12:27
Go with a kroot and vespid themed army, it will make it challenging for you and nobody would expect a tau horde army.

Borgomos
04-09-2013, 12:29
Some people believe that the Tau have no place in the Warhammer40k universe, that they dont fit, and anything remotely related to them is boring, bland, uninteresting, etc. And they believe in this with such zeal that it would make the Emperor proud.

Ehm, regarding gameplay...

Suits hopping, shooting, and then hopping back behind to safety and other various trademark Tau mechanics sometimes frustrate people. Don`t castle up behind an Aegis defense line and go for a more mobile shooting approach. Don`t spam those Riptides :)

duffybear1988
04-09-2013, 12:55
Try not taking multiples of any unit.

Merellin
04-09-2013, 13:04
My normal army is 1 Commander with 2 bodyguards, All equipped with 2 missile pods each, 1 group of 3 crisis suits with 2 missile pods each, 3 groups of Fire Warriors standing at the back of the board by a Ethereal shooting at stuff, 2 groups of 13 kroot (Or 1 group of 20 kroot) that advances on the enemy, 3 Missile broadsides, And 1 rail gun hammerhead. Becayse thats almost all the models I own for my Tau. The hammerhead is actualy a Devilfish my friends let me proxy to get more points..

IcedCrow
04-09-2013, 14:32
Dont spam.

ronin_cse
04-09-2013, 15:26
TBH Tau are a bit un fun to play against, especially considering you have a bit of a gun line army. Playing with the Farsight supplement makes them a bit more fun, especially if you just go crazy and see how well you can do if you focus on assault. Really what your opponents should do is switch up THEIR armies though. Trying to take out the Tau with an assault based Eldar army is great fun (if you're the type that can handle losing some times :p ). If they can't do that then yeah I'd say use the supplement to mix it up.

Edit: Eh maybe take less missiles too. Speaking from experience facing so many twin linked str 7 missiles and even more TL'd str 5 missiles that ignore cover just feel ridiculous.

anchorbine
04-09-2013, 15:33
Preplan a game to include at least 5 objectives. An army of heavy tau firing might win via denial, but if they are planning on actually taking any objectives, they'll need to bring an army with a far more balanced approach then just battlesuits. That being said, shooting is no less a viable part of the game then deep strike, melee, reserves, etc. Tau also don't have boons, gifts, distort, jaws of the world wolf, faith points or any of the other tricky abilities other armies have, so shooting is what they do. I don't like my riptide falling into a giant crack in the ground thanks to a space wolf, but so be it.

Beattie
04-09-2013, 15:35
i like playing tau with my necron and eldar one of the few races that pose a real challenge to make them fun to fight run some random units in your army avoid the standard we are tau we only need a battle line and hopping back and forth into cover list.

Merellin
04-09-2013, 15:55
I dont twin-link the missile pods, Just two base missile pods. I dont know what other weapon combinations are good and I find missile pods works against most threats.. Thats the only reason I use them.. And we roll for the mission every game. As for assault eldar, He plays Iyanden with loads and loads of wraith guard and a wraith lord and a couple of wraith lords. He assaults well, And is very hard to kill.. I was thinking of getting the Farsight Enclave book when it comes out in october and them making a quick moving army (Lots of crisis and stealth suits, vespids, piranhas..) but I dont know if that will make it more fun to face.

I want a riptide, But I'd prefer to only have one as I know when I face my friends eldar a single wraith lord is horrible enough to face, I'd realy not want to face two of them.

Also, I dont mind loosing. I lose about 80% of my matches if not more, I just want some way to make my beloved Tau more fun for my opponents to face..

Charistoph
04-09-2013, 16:20
Try not taking multiples of any unit.

Pretty hard not to spam when you only have 2 Troop choices. As for not taking multiples, you should, but limit yourself to 2 per choice. Most things run singly that are a viable threat tend not to last long, unless you have something far nastier coming.

Merellin
04-09-2013, 17:19
Would a Tau army consistant of alot of Crisis suits, Kroot, Vespids, Piranhas, And Stealth suits, And maybe 1 Riptide at most, Be more fun to face then a gunline tau army? Since that army would be more mobile.

Kijamon
04-09-2013, 17:23
Armies that sit at the back of the board shooting things are not fun to play against. Mostly because it can be pretty hard to get anything there to fight them.

Try picking army lists that involve movement, Tau are quite capable of being a mobile shooting force.

And just as a random extra, don't play kill points. I find that a lot of people who come on here and whine about armies always play kill points because "it's more fun". It's not more fun because it usually means one player has a static gun line and wins all the time or one player tools out a close combat super fast charge list and gets in to combat quickly.

Missions make the world go round.

Ssilmath
04-09-2013, 17:25
Something else to consider is putting enough line of sight blocking terrain on the field to prevent it from being a shooting gallery. I don't know what your local play environment is like, but if you can just set up your models and don't have to move beyond jump shoot jump on the suits you may have a problem. Your opponent should be able to move up the field without taking shots from your entire army, and your army should be able to maneuver to bring lots of firepower to bear on isolated parts of their army. In my experience, that makes the game much more enjoyable and dynamic for both players.

ronin_cse
04-09-2013, 17:35
I dunno how either of you would feel about this but you could try switching armies sometime as well to mix things up. May not be an option if either of you are uncomfortable with that though.

Merellin
04-09-2013, 17:42
Like I said, We always play missions, We roll for them every game. As for board setup, We always either let someone not playing set up the board, Or set it up by each player placing terrain one at the time. So I place one, then my opponent places one, Then me, then him, And so on.

I love Tau, they are my favorite army, I love their models and fluff. But.. I'm starting to think I should just set them aside for a while.. Mayhaps start a vanilla marine army (I have already pre-orderd the codex to check it out) Maybe Crimson Fists or Black Templars. Is there any army (Not tyranids or orks..) that excell in melee combat? Would be nice to try a more melee focused army and see if my opponents find that more fun to play against.

Menthak
04-09-2013, 18:47
Take an all pulse carbine army, do close firefighting and hope that the enemy fails their leadership test.

That or Krootspam

Techmarine
04-09-2013, 19:02
I don't like my riptide falling into a giant crack in the ground thanks to a space wolf, but so be it.

Well it's a good thing then that your riptide has jet-pack movement, and is thus immune.

On topic- as other have already noted, just avoid taking a 'parking-lot' style list that spams many of the same units for reliability. These lists are quite competitive, but very bleh to play against. Nobody wants to roleplay that they're the allies in the invasion of Normandy. Walking into a wall of guns will never be enjoyable, for anyone.

ronin_cse
04-09-2013, 19:48
Like I said, We always play missions, We roll for them every game. As for board setup, We always either let someone not playing set up the board, Or set it up by each player placing terrain one at the time. So I place one, then my opponent places one, Then me, then him, And so on.

I love Tau, they are my favorite army, I love their models and fluff. But.. I'm starting to think I should just set them aside for a while.. Mayhaps start a vanilla marine army (I have already pre-orderd the codex to check it out) Maybe Crimson Fists or Black Templars. Is there any army (Not tyranids or orks..) that excell in melee combat? Would be nice to try a more melee focused army and see if my opponents find that more fun to play against.

I think this is going a little far unless you really want to start a new army. Unless everyone is going to flat out refuse to play against you I think spending hundreds of dollars just so they have a little more fun is going too far. If you like Tau so much seriously just stick with them and just switch things up a bit.

Edit: oh try some of the special missions in the back of the big rule book. Try like a defense mission where you can castle in the center but your opponent has more points....or even better YOU can be the attacker against your opponent castling.

warmonger1
04-09-2013, 19:57
Is there any army (Not tyranids or orks..) that excell in melee combat? Would be nice to try a more melee focused army and see if my opponents find that more fun to play against.

You could check out Daemons if your looking for a good assault army with quite a few good options. The only downside is you have to deal with their random warpstorm every turn (it usually dosent affect much) and rolled for wargear (rewards) on HQ's. Very fun to play imo.

Daemonia
04-09-2013, 20:01
Nobody wants to roleplay that they're the allies in the invasion of Normandy. Walking into a wall of guns will never be enjoyable, for anyone.

As a long-time Krieg player, I must disagree with that statement :P

A lot of Tau players I know are way too defensive and it makes me sad they don't put all that wonderful mobility to use. Not just picking apart the edges or stranding powerful units but actively engaging and focusing down the enemy right up close. I love it when someone just comes right at me with his Crisis teams and Riptides. Makes for an even more fun game than the usual cat and mouse antics you get trying to kill a guy's suits before they murder too many of your dudes. I'd also not recommend taking 3 Riptides in anything but a proper tournament or a large 2k+ game. Your list has plenty of awesome options for casual play without that kind of fun-killing.

Merellin
04-09-2013, 20:38
Well, I kind of do want a new army, Something that does melee well (Maybe Dark Eldar..?) to atleast have something else to play. I love my Tau, But I dont play to win, I play to have fun with my friends, and if they dont find any enjoyment in the matches then I get sad, And they will grow less and less willing to play against me.. Why play against someone when there is no fun in it..?

ronin_cse
04-09-2013, 20:53
Well, I kind of do want a new army, Something that does melee well (Maybe Dark Eldar..?) to atleast have something else to play. I love my Tau, But I dont play to win, I play to have fun with my friends, and if they dont find any enjoyment in the matches then I get sad, And they will grow less and less willing to play against me.. Why play against someone when there is no fun in it..?

Well that's a great attitude and I wish more ppl had it as well. I was just saying that trying out different units or playing different to increase your opponent's fun level is one thing. Spending lots of real money is quite another and something you should do only if it's something you want to do and not for others. On that note though getting some space marine models and allying them it at first would probably be a good idea as it would mix things up and you wouldn't have to invest a lot initially to play with them.

Charistoph
04-09-2013, 22:04
Well it's a good thing then that your riptide has jet-pack movement, and is thus immune.

OT: And vulnerable because he's a MC, being Jet Pack doesn't remove the fact that you're a MC/Infantry/Bike/Beast/Cavalry any more. Kinda sucks. At least he has 2xI to work with...

I do like the Carbine idea, especially as they don't suck completely like they used to, but that's up to the OP. Too bad Kroot are less of a threat in Assault then they used to be...

Techmarine
04-09-2013, 22:13
OT: And vulnerable because he's a MC, being Jet Pack doesn't remove the fact that you're a MC/Infantry/Bike/Beast/Cavalry any more. Kinda sucks. At least he has 2xI to work with..

That's true, actually. I tend to forget that 'Jump' is no longer a classification any more, but a sub-group.

I guess it's a good thing Space Wolves are all but extinct in the tourney scene then.

Minigiant
04-09-2013, 23:09
If your looking for fun games may i suggest you use some of the custom missions out there that tell a story and then build your armies to fit that theme. Its a great way to just have a laugh.

A tau recon force has to breakthrough the enemy to get back to their lines to report important enemy data.

The tau force would have lots of Kroot/Pathfinders/Sniper drones etc and te opponent would pick there quick units Mech/Bikes/Jump troops etc

Link them together and you have a narrative campaign

I think overall a good way to improve the way they see tau

Thud
05-09-2013, 00:06
In typical Warseer fashion, people are telling you not to spam, so I'm gonna do the opposite. Spam! Go Farsight and Crisis spam, and make an army that gets up close and personal. Instead of sitting behind an aegis line and meticulously deleting everything that comes within 36 inches, you're experiencing the other two phases of the turn.

Tzabazeus
05-09-2013, 07:48
In typical Warseer fashion, people are telling you not to spam, so I'm gonna do the opposite. Spam! Go Farsight and Crisis spam, and make an army that gets up close and personal. Instead of sitting behind an aegis line and meticulously deleting everything that comes within 36 inches, you're experiencing the other two phases of the turn.

this. I've had a lot of fun using an all jet army that gets in close.

Camman1984
05-09-2013, 10:42
Its a shame the way tau are mostly played as a static gunline, they are so mobile and should be moving around more. Every battle i have played against tau this edition has been identical, they castle up behind their aegis line with 2 objectives in it and stay there. I wish they hadnt made them so good at anti-assault tactics too. It used to be that they would out shoot you but would fold in assault. Now with combined fire and improved snap shots for them, assaulting them might as well just be giving them a free shooting phase.

I would recommend playing lots of terrain and city fight style games with them, takes away the absurb shootiness of the tau and allows you to play them like a modern day special forces army which i think they are based on.

Shadeseraph
05-09-2013, 14:52
Quick question: WHY does he think playing against Tau is un-fun? Your list is more or less static, granted, but it should have its share of problems with objectives. Is it because you outshoot him? Too static? I know a huge deal of players to which "unfun" is just to "hard to beat".

If the problem is that your army is too static, I'd suggest suiting up and carrying the fight to your enemy: maybe try the Farsight Enclaves supplement and try some strategies around deep striking to steal objectives, instead of staying back. Or Mech Tau, with many units of fire warriors in devilfish. Your call. But first, speak to him about what he dislikes of fighting with Tau.

Gossipmeng
05-09-2013, 15:37
People actually enjoy playing against my Tau army from the feedback I've received. It is built to be semi-competitive (I can win against power lists, but I won't be steamrolling my way to the top of any tournaments).

The secret is to build an army focused on mid range firefights with a few (and I mean only a few) immobile ranged support units. It is also very helpful to have no high priority targets in the army - this way your opponent has no clue what to focus and the loss of a single unit doesn't impact the army's performance. Here is the current farsight enclaves army that I run (I tried to make something unconventional and unique):

farsight

3x crisis + 2x marker drone: 1x shas'vre /w 2x missile pod, early warning override, 2x shas'ui /w 2x missile pod, early warning override, bonded
3x crisis + 2x shield drone: 1x shas'vre /w 2x fusion blaster, target lock, 2x shas'ui /w 2x plasma rifle, advanced targeting system, bonded
3x crisis + 2x shield drone: 1x shas'vre /w 2x fusion blaster, target lock, 2x shas'ui /w TL plasma rifle, missile pod, bonded
3x crisis + 2x shield drone: 2x shas'ui /w 2x fusion blaster, target lock, 1x shas’ui /w 1x plasma rifle, 1x flamer, retro thrusters, bonded (farsight goes here)

2x broadside + 4x missile drone: 1x shas'vre /w HYMP, SMS, velocity tracker, 1x shas'ui /w HYMP, SMS, velocity tracker, bonded
sniper drone team: 2x marksmen, 6x sniper drone

**Tau empire allies**

Commander: 1x burst cannon, 1x cyclic ion blaster, shield generator, drone controller, iridium armour, onager gauntlet, neuroweb jammer

7x firewarriors + 1x marker drone: shas'ui /w markerlight, target lock, pulse rifles

drone squad: 10x gun drone, 2 marker drone (iridium commander goes here)

----

Depending on what I'm facing the style of play can go from a steady advance through cover or deepstrike half the army (usually against armies with superior range). Only the firewarriors, sniper drone team, and the broadsides stay put while everything else is weaving around the board. I've also managed to pull off some fantastic assaults to finish off my targets with farsight's team and the iridium commander's drone squad. There really isn't much your opponent can complain about.... : most of the army is effective at 18-24 inch range, no riptides, and just 8 markerlights (4 are BS5 though!).

It also helps that the army is great to look at and very easy to transport :)

DoctorTom
05-09-2013, 16:04

You could start working that way slowly - take SM allies with your Tau army, and concentrate on units that can fight in close combat. (Maybe a unit of termies and a unit of assault marines along with the required troop and HQ choice). Get more figures, then you can do SM with Tau allies, then eventually a complete SM army if you want to go that way. Of course, you'll probably want to look at the new SM Codex when it comes out in a day or two to see what you might want to do.

Merellin
05-09-2013, 17:39
I think he finds them boring because it is all shooting and no melee, Combined with not moving much.. He isent have trouble beating me, Sometimes it gets close but most of the time he kicks my ass. I will get the Farsight Enclave book when it comes out in october (Hopefully I can buy it through my friendly local game store.. I hate using the GW website to order stuff..) He's the type that loves charging forwards, shooting and casting eldar trickery spells and then chopping people in close combat with his wraith guard and against Tau, There is no real close combat. It's shooting untill one side looses. And the few times combat hapens, Tau folds with no combat..

Shadeseraph
05-09-2013, 18:02
Then you've got little choice with Tau. I suppose you could try creating a counterassault of sorts with Farsight, who is a fairly competent combatant, and some of the close combat options, but it isn't one of the best ideas. Either that, or ally with orks or SM.

Other than that, suiting-up and switching to a more mobile kind of game could help. But if he plays eldar, outmaneuvering him will be tough, even with JSJ and all. Using different deployment modes can help quite a lot, and can give you an advantage, too. Deep Strike those suits, infiltrate those kroot, make him sweat a bit.

Winning too much can also be boring, though :P.

Latro_
05-09-2013, 18:48
Grab your self some eldar allies

maybe a unit of scorpions infiltrating and some storm guardians (not copetitive but CC) in a wave serpent with spirt seer... be about 500pts.

Blinder
05-09-2013, 18:52
I think he finds them boring because it is all shooting and no melee, Combined with not moving much.. He isent have trouble beating me, Sometimes it gets close but most of the time he kicks my ass. I will get the Farsight Enclave book when it comes out in october (Hopefully I can buy it through my friendly local game store.. I hate using the GW website to order stuff..) He's the type that loves charging forwards, shooting and casting eldar trickery spells and then chopping people in close combat with his wraith guard and against Tau, There is no real close combat. It's shooting untill one side looses. And the few times combat hapens, Tau folds with no combat..

Well, to an extent that sounds like he's really finding *his* list boring, in that he's relying on his opponents to come fight his CC army (is he lacking transports/equivalent mobility plans, or is it just that he doesn't like how easily he chops up firewarriors?). That said, the suggestions so far and the ideas you've been working through yourself can all add a fresh feel for both sides, and if you do add in a side of marine that will give you a chance to play the punching game (though I expect wraithguard will still be bad news for any marine squad that isn't sporting its own power weapons).

Merellin
05-09-2013, 19:00
He tends to run 3 groups of Wraith Guard, 2 in Wave serpents and 1 on foot, Along with 2 Spiritseers (I think they are called) 2 wraith lords and 1 wraith knight. He shoots with everything thats on foot while the wave serpents advance to try and get in close and deposit the groups for melee. Though I tend to shoot down his wave serpets before they get close..

ronin_cse
05-09-2013, 21:20
Well, to an extent that sounds like he's really finding *his* list boring, in that he's relying on his opponents to come fight his CC army (is he lacking transports/equivalent mobility plans, or is it just that he doesn't like how easily he chops up firewarriors?). That said, the suggestions so far and the ideas you've been working through yourself can all add a fresh feel for both sides, and if you do add in a side of marine that will give you a chance to play the punching game (though I expect wraithguard will still be bad news for any marine squad that isn't sporting its own power weapons).

Yeah this is really sounding unfair now. Seriously he should be mixing up his list as well if he's getting bored. How is it fair to make you change your list even though you enjoy it so he doesn't have to change his?

Camman1984
06-09-2013, 11:49
If i find myself in a situation where i am fighting the same opponent every match i sometimes suggest swapping armies, gives you a new force to play with and also gives you an insight into your own army.

Merellin
06-09-2013, 15:09
I'm gonna check the new Space Marine codex and maybe ally in some marines, And then try to get the Farsight book when it comes out. Many crisis suits and stealth suits, maybe a riptide, And some Piranhas, And then see how that works and if he finds it more intresting. I'l also try running my Fire Warriors with Carbines instead of rifles. Thanks for all the help ^_^

I picked Tau as my first army when I started. They wherent very good back then, I lost every match, But I still loved them and to this day they are my favorite army.