PDA

View Full Version : Bryan Ansell's Citadel collection and John Blanche figures

Citadel Collector
05-09-2013, 11:47
Hi all,

I'm a Citadel Miniatures collector and in recent years I have been very fortunate to have access to Bryan Ansell's collection of Citadel Miniatures to photograph, and I thought you lot might appreciate the heads-up. I have been documenting Bryan's figures on my blog:

http://eldritchepistles.blogspot.co.uk/

Some of the most recent posts relate to Foundry's latest release of ex-Citadel figures (which is mentioned in other threads on this group) and to a recent "Oldhammer" event. But if you look in the blog archive on the right hand side you will see links to many of my previous posts displaying Bryan's figures. There is LOTS more to come!

I'm also a big fan of John Blanche and have many of his figures - again you will find posts relating to his figures on my blog.

Also, on the top right you will find links to galleries of Bryan's and John's figures on my other website (http://thecitadelcollector.co.uk/zen/).

If you are as much of a fan as I am of vintage Citadel and of John Blanche then I hope you enjoy browsing these images.

thanks
Steve
(you may know me as bridgend_steve on ebay, and "Citadel Collector" on various other forums).

Angelwing
05-09-2013, 16:07
Excellent stuff. Thanks for posting it up!

shelfunit.
05-09-2013, 16:54
Excellent stuff, and great to see some classics re-released. I have the bagpipe player (and a couple of his mates) in my unit of empire militia, I may have to pick up the others now.

de Selby
05-09-2013, 17:33
Lovely blog. Is it my imagination or are these old sculpts fetching a lot more on ebay thee days?

shelfunit.
05-09-2013, 17:41
Lovely blog. Is it my imagination or are these old sculpts fetching a lot more on ebay thee days?

Not your imagination. Sculpts with character are becoming more popular as people begin to tire of the CAD plastics (and their ever increasing prices). Now these are being re-released eBay prices will (hopefully) tumble. With luck they will release all their old ex-citadel sculpts.

PointBlank
06-09-2013, 08:57
I had no idea Foundry were releasing ex-citadel minis - does anyone have any idea what kind of scope this gives them to release the early sci-fi stuff?

EDIT: Ah, reading the update from last year it makes it clear that they are only interested in historical themed stuff and are trimming down even the fantasy releases. Shame. Still, does anyone know how they were / are able to cast old citadel stuff - does Ansell own the moulds?

shelfunit.
06-09-2013, 09:21
EDIT: Ah, reading the update from last year it makes it clear that they are only interested in historical themed stuff and are trimming down even the fantasy releases. Shame. Still, does anyone know how they were / are able to cast old citadel stuff - does Ansell own the moulds?

From what I gather reading the various interviews he (BA) took the moulds/masters of a number of the older minis when he set up foundry, and more as they became "obsolete" and would otherwise have been binned until he left GW. As I said though, this is just piecing snippets together from interviews and other posts.

PointBlank
06-09-2013, 09:35
So th releases will be fairly limited - shame, it would be nice even to get hold of some of the old school fantasy stuff.

BTW - it is a joy to browse through those blog posts and see miniatures with actual character, thanks for posting OP!

zoggin-eck
06-09-2013, 10:56
Steve, I check your blog pretty much every day for an update (There's one right now! :))

Your own work, and those of others have really gotten me into painting lately (and reading old rulebooks).

Fear Ghoul
06-09-2013, 11:47

The prices of these older models should increase, as the supply of them runs out over time.

Citadel Collector
06-09-2013, 14:54
Thanks all for your kind words, and I’ll give my opinions, for what they’re worth, on some of the queries that have been raised:

- Prices of old sculpts on ebay: Difficult one to pin down, but I think as with all things certain ranges come in and out of fashion, and prices in general can fluctuate accordingly. Old sculpts tend to be bought by collectors and/or gamers who want these figures to add character to their armies, and as has been mentioned, may be tiring of some of the modern sculpts. Some old Citadel ranges which might once have gone for a fair amount due to the attentions of collectors are not so much in demand, because most of the collectors now have those particular figures, and so prices have dropped. Other ranges may have increased recently in price due to the increasing demand of gamers.

- Foundry release of old Citadel ranges: It may well be that Foundry still have ex-Citadel moulds to find and release, but most if not all of these will have a historical connection (e.g. Dogs of War types). It is unlikely for example that Foundry will be releasing old Citadel Chaos Warriors! This is indeed due to the fact that Foundry as originally setup cast historical figures rather than fantasy and scifi.

- Foundry’s own fantasy ranges: A number of fantasy figures from Foundry’s past are not currently available due to changes in the company’s website and organisation. It is my understanding though that as long as the moulds or master figures are still available, Foundry will eventually have available everything they used to stock, including their older fantasy ranges. If you are after something in particular but cant find it on their website, give them a call.

- The notion of a supply of older figures running out over time is an interesting one, and something I’ve thought about myself. I’ve come to the conclusion that this won’t really happen in practice, because what tends to happen is that figures get “recycled” as people move into and out of collecting and gaming. Also, given the huge quantity of figures that were originally sold in many of the ranges I think we’ll see them sticking around for some time to come.

blongbling
06-09-2013, 15:13
I have to say that despite having started gaming with those older miniatures in the dim and distant past, they are pretty horrific sculpts now

Fear Ghoul
06-09-2013, 15:51
I have to say that despite having started gaming with those older miniatures in the dim and distant past, they are pretty horrific sculpts now

For the most part, agreed.

de Selby
06-09-2013, 17:27
The prices of these older models should increase, as the supply of them runs out over time.

I think it's more about the ratio of people-interested-in-buying-old-minis to people-selling-up-their-old-minis.

zoggin-eck
07-09-2013, 06:46
Whoa, the today/yesterday cabinets post is intense! Lovely shots of some lovely daggy old models!

There's a real "richness" to some of the colours with the inks used. Some of these even make me want to use gloss varnish!

Am I right that there's a nice reminder with one of the undead standards? That using foil/tin for the banner looks good, but can peel or chip off later :)

lorelorn
07-09-2013, 08:12
Thanks for sharing! John Blanche's pit fighter gang is fantastic!

Autumn Leaves
07-09-2013, 20:20
Not your imagination. Sculpts with character are becoming more popular as people begin to tire of the CAD plastics (and their ever increasing prices).

Ain't that the truth, those old models are brimming with character. If only GW would bring some of that back into the rank and file.

From what I gather reading the various interviews he (BA) took the moulds/masters of a number of the older minis when he set up foundry, and more as they became "obsolete" and would otherwise have been binned until he left GW.

Yep, Brian Ansell has got shed loads of toys tucked away, old moulds the whole shebang.
I'm thinking that because (sadly) that great old lady and former flagship of GW, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, is tanking so badly in both the sales aspect and the drop off of players, that Mr Ansell sees a chance to revitalise Foundry by using his pull with the older crowd who are still in the hobby by way of his connections to the people who were there at the inception. Interesting to see Rick Priestley signing copies of Warhammer 3rd edition at the Foundry Old-Hammer day.

redben
07-09-2013, 23:15
From what I gather reading the various interviews he (BA) took the moulds/masters of a number of the older minis when he set up foundry, and more as they became "obsolete" and would otherwise have been binned until he left GW. As I said though, this is just piecing snippets together from interviews and other posts.

Foundry was set up to keep moulds in production that had dropped off the Citadel catalogue. It meant they could still make money from moulds that weren't shifting enough to justify their place at Citadel. After Bryan sold up he took a lot of the moulds that GW didn't want, which mainly consisted of historical stuff as the new GW was 100% focused on their Warhammer brands.

Yep, Brian Ansell has got shed loads of toys tucked away, old moulds the whole shebang.
I'm thinking that because (sadly) that great old lady and former flagship of GW, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, is tanking so badly in both the sales aspect and the drop off of players, that Mr Ansell sees a chance to revitalise Foundry by using his pull with the older crowd who are still in the hobby by way of his connections to the people who were there at the inception. Interesting to see Rick Priestley signing copies of Warhammer 3rd edition at the Foundry Old-Hammer day.

That's because 3rd ed is what everyone had brought lol. I believe it's Rick's least favourite edition of the five that he did. Foundry have loads of moulds, having been in their casting room and Warlord's I can confirm you could fit Warlord's into Foundry's many many times over. They don't even know what all the moulds are at the moment. The Ansells weren't involved with the day to day running of Foundry between 2005-2012 and they're still getting their feet back under the desk. The Oldhammer thing was a happy coincidence for them. The taking off of that movement coincided with Bryan's return and it was a logical thing to do. If/when foundry get some sculptors trained up then they'll likely do some fantasy minis in the old style as there's proven to be a market for them.

Autumn Leaves
08-09-2013, 08:37
3rd edition is by far the most favoured edition amongst the old guard. There is a reason everyone turned up with 3rd edition ;-
)It represents a time when there was a formula of sorts in place to try to cost units and abilities before they tossed it out with the bathwater and created the blasphemy (lol) of 4th edition.
Yeah Rick's not a fan of 3rd, but then he gave us the stale bread of warmaster (Yaaaaawn, promised a big bang and delivered a whimper, nice models though... shame about the ruleset) and its minimally updated younger brother in Hail Caesar (double yawn), neither rulesets interest me at all in either 10mm or 28mm due to short comings exposed in the rules (nice models though). He also gave us later editions of warhammer that were unbalanced in so many more ways than 3rd edition. Having played a wide variety of rule sets in many genres and periods I can say that Rick Priestley, while being a nice fellow, doesn't have any of the awe or aura because his limited body of work is very average. This is borne out in full when compared to a true legend like Donald Featherstone.
For a quick link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Featherstone_(wargamer)

redben
08-09-2013, 08:59
3rd ed is my personal fave too, though I haven't played 6th which looks like it might have rivalled it. If I was to start playing it on a regular basis again there's definitely some things I'd house rule, like the to-hit table. Equal WS hitting on a 5? What were you thinking, Rick?! It's a slow and quite turgid game when played as is but it benefits from the overall input and direction of the awesome creative team they had at the time.

Autumn Leaves
08-09-2013, 14:37
Absolutely.
Had GW kept the flavour of 3rd and made it a game with quicker flow it would have gone to a new level but the ultimate argument is that 4th was financially successful and the system did grow and gain more players right through until 6th (which I played a lot, travelling the world to play in foreign tournaments).
4th edition was hideous if you were an Empire player. All those lush beautiful models to choose from and to make a massive army and then you get to face a 21 model Daemon army that was incredibly difficult to beat. I used to look at the different amount of painstaking painting on the table between the two armies and just shake my head in disbelief.
I do miss Daemon animosity. That was always a giggle when it made an impact.
It took another 4 editions before the great minds at GW design (I'm staring at you Rick) worked out that making units bigger meant selling more models.
4th edition was pretty soul destroying for the Empire gang.

redben
08-09-2013, 16:02
I'm pretty sure Rick was solely responsible for the design changes from 3rd-4th ed. He became head of the design studio when Bryan sold up and has been quoted as saying that at the time, they were in so much debt because of the buyout he had to write it all himself. He also felt 4th-5th edition was the best version of the game and was his chance to correct the mistakes he felt he made with 3rd.

I briefly had an Empire army in 4th ed. They were rubbish, especially their cavalry. I suspect GW must have realised that because when they next did a cav army it was the broken Brets.

Autumn Leaves
08-09-2013, 23:55
From 4th to 8th I felt that 6th was the best option but 3rd still had a better feel to it than all the others. It never felt finished, more like a work in progress but a work that kind of knew where it was going... until 4th edition landed.
Rick was the guvnor of the design studio for a very long time, and it always used to strike me as odd when players whined about an overpowered or underpowered new army book, or the incessant power creep etc. and they pointed the finger at the author of the moment, when everything those authors wrote/created had to be cleared by Rick before it went to print. ;-)

williamsond
09-09-2013, 09:27
loving the old miniture shots, as some one who has been gaming for about 25 years now it's great to see things I remember from when I first started gaming. It just makes me wish i had kept hold of all those figures from my youth, alas it's a horrific hunt for the figures of my youth on ebay now, My current RTB01 army is costing me a fortune.

Autumn Leaves
10-09-2013, 06:40
With any luck Foundry will release some of the oldies again and kill the ebay market rates.

redben
10-09-2013, 08:46
If they can find any more then they'll only be historical minis that were discontinued. No chance of any 80's Warhammer/Rogue Trader minis turning up.

zoggin-eck
10-09-2013, 13:10
Can't they just get some sculptors to make "new old" models? :angel:

I want to see the Perrys and Jes Goodwin make orcs again!

redben
10-09-2013, 16:14
Possibly, but not those sculptors.

Citadel Collector
01-10-2013, 09:54
Thought you lot might like to see a Rogue Trader female Space Marine as you've never seen her before (more here http://eldritchepistles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-bryan-ansell-collection-warhammer.html):

blongbling
02-10-2013, 10:18
Thought you lot might like to see a Rogue Trader female Space Marine as you've never seen her before (more here http://eldritchepistles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-bryan-ansell-collection-warhammer.html):

oh boy is she a bad miniature

zoggin-eck
02-10-2013, 12:16
Fantastic mate! I probably would have been happier not knowing. The painting on the Space Amazon is nicer than the original photo showed.

There are some fun models in that release, but many even nostalgia won't make me want to own!

Zywus
02-10-2013, 15:26
Ha!
I guess we have some new ammunition for all those "are there female space marines?"-threads :p

Harwammer
03-10-2013, 15:10
I guess they could be seen as proto-Sisters of Battle in the light of modern fluff. It's certainly an idea for working on some Noise Marines though :p

AndrewGPaul
08-10-2013, 14:25
3rd ed is my personal fave too, though I haven't played 6th which looks like it might have rivalled it. If I was to start playing it on a regular basis again there's definitely some things I'd house rule, like the to-hit table. Equal WS hitting on a 5? What were you thinking, Rick?! It's a slow and quite turgid game when played as is but it benefits from the overall input and direction of the awesome creative team they had at the time.

Funnily enough, that was addressed in the designer's notes for 4th edition; they improved the odds of hitting to speed up combats. On the other hand, 3rd edition games were much longer - ten turns or more wouldn't be unreasonable. Plenty of time for units to clash in combat and spend a few turns pushing each other back and forth for a few turns.