PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Special Character: Faction by Faction

Craze_b0i
07-09-2013, 22:27
What is your favourite special character from each faction? (can be past or present)

I am not familiar with SCs in all of the factions but based on the factions I do know here are my own picks...

OnG: Morglum Necksnapper
Dwarfs: Gotrek
Empire: Marius Leitdorf
Skaven: Queek Headtaker
Ogres: Golfag

Malagor
08-09-2013, 08:47
WoC: Sigvald, disturbing and yet kinda funny character with the whole vanity thing.
Skaven: It's a tie between Queek and Deathmaster Snikch
Ogres: Greasus of course, how can you not love that guy ?
Beastmen: Malagor!!! (if not obvious from my name)
Vampires: I will go with Konrad here.
High Elves: Alith Anar

The Odor
08-09-2013, 09:17
WoC: Wulfrik. His divine gift of insulting people in their language is awesome.

Beastmen: Morghur. A wonderfully disturbing character.

Vampires: Konrad. Crazy person is CRAZY.

Skaven: Tretch Craventail. A example of his race!

Kolsveinn
08-09-2013, 09:45
Warriors of Chaos - Wulfrik.
Empire - Volkmar
Dwarfs - Bugman

Urgat
08-09-2013, 10:03
Any SC that can be justified fluff-wise to join whatever the army, like the Green Knight, Wuurzag, etc. I just can't wrap my mind about the possibility of Teclis or Karl Franz joining a small skirmish, but the ones I mentionned can reasonably pop up anywhere because of their back story. Those are the ones I like.

Athelassan
08-09-2013, 12:26
Bretonnia: Jules le Jongleur (and Tristan, I guess)
Empire: Thyrus Gormann
Wood Elves: Thalandor
High Elves: Tyrion (never really been a massive fan of the HE specials, though)
Dark Elves: Malekith, or Tullaris
Undead: This was always Vlad von Carstein, but I really can't express strongly enough how much I hate the current model. The old Nagash figure was better.
Dwarfs: Burlok Dammison, I guess
Skaven: Thanquol
Chaos: Aekold Helbrass
Ogres: Golgfag
Orcs and Goblins: Morglum
Lizardmen: Tichi-Huichi, I think; possibly Mazdamundi

Some of these are harder choices than others. With Empire and Dwarfs I was spoilt for choice, with some of the others (Lizardmen, High Elves) I don't find any of them that exciting.

Gorgut
08-09-2013, 16:48
What is your favourite special character from each faction? (can be past or present)

Brets: The Green Knight seems cool though I've never used him (or any of their SC actually)
Daemons: I like Kairos Fateweaver's model
Dark Elves: Malus Darkblade
High Elves: Korhil. I like that he bucks the stereotype and actually looks very strong and macho. Plus his lion cloak looks super cool.
Orcs n Goblins: Right now I have a soft spot for Grimgor. I really like my black orc models and giving them hatred is wonderful. I also used to be fond of Borgut Facebeater back during the Storm of Chaos campaign.
Skaven: Queek
Empire: Luthor Huss, but that's just because Warrior Priests are my favorite part of that army.
Vampire Counts: Krell. Cool model. Cool rules.
Warriors of Chaos: Crom the Conqueror was cool back in the day.
Wood Elves: Drycha, I guess?

yabbadabba
08-09-2013, 17:01
I just can't wrap my mind about the possibility of Teclis or Karl Franz joining a small skirmish, Why not? They are not always accompanied by the entire Reiksguard and Altdorf militia - espeically Tecis ;-)

Dwarves: Gotrek and Felix.
Empire: Karl Franz
High Elves: The Shadow King
Dark Elves: Menghil
Orcs and Goblins: Niblit
Skaven: Queek

Sotek
08-09-2013, 17:30
Brets: Fey Enchantress - turning enemies into frogs was hillarious
Beastmen: Gorthor
Daemons: Be'lakor
Dark Elves: Hellbron or Tullaris
High Elves: Alith Anar - basically master ninja elf spy guerrilla warfare master dude.
Orcs n Goblins: Skarsnik and Gobbla!
Skaven: Lord Scrolk
Empire: Espeth, best model ever. Pity I can't think of an army to fit it into.
Vampire Counts: Henreich Himm..er Kemmler!
Warriors of Chaos: Valkia these days though I have a soft spot for Aekold Helbrass and Arbaal the Undefeated from 4/5e
Wood Elves: Ariel - she makes forests, looks like a butterfly and has a dart of doooooom!
Ogres: Bragg the Gutsman
Lizardmen: Gor-Rok. He's just hard.

Nagash333
08-09-2013, 17:53
Beastmen: Gorthor, nice fluff
Bretonnia: Repanse de Lyonesse. Just for the blatant rip off of Joan of Arc!
Daemons: Amon Chakai, great story with him in the old (quite old now!) Champions of Chaos book
Dark Elves: Malekith, by the far the best character in the game story wise, made even better by Gav Thorpe's superb book (scene where he holds the flank against the Orcs on his arrival in the Old World (think he also hamstrings the Orc Warlord!)
Dwarfs: Always liked Thorgrim Grudgebearer
High Elves: Teclis
Lizardmen: Mazadamundi (especially in 5th Ed. when Slann could hold up a Vampire Lord in combat!)
Ogres: Golfag
Orcs and Goblins: Skarsnik
Skaven: Deathmaster Snitch
Empire: Magnus the Pious
Tomb Kings: Nagash (if allowed?). If not Settra
Vampire Counts: Walach, missed an opportunity not including him in the book (would love to see rules for Abhorash)
Warriors of Chaos: Archaon
Wood Elves: Orion, fanatastic model and fantastic back story

Urgat
08-09-2013, 18:51
Why not? They are not always accompanied by the entire Reiksguard and Altdorf militia - espeically Tecis ;-)

They should be (you know what I mean). Teclis can certainly go on some herands of his own, but, then, it's his herrands, not just tagging along with general X. As for dudes like karl Franz or Malekith, as if they would take to the field for some skirmish, and not be accompanied by a massive army. When you're the leader of a nation, you don't go waltzing on your own on some battlefield just for fun. I wish these characters would be restricted to grand armies (and then get profiles a bit more fitting for their fluff). I don't ask anybody to share my point of view, but suspension of disbelief prevents me from accepting that Archaon would go on a border patrol to wipe out some gobs. Of all the "big" SC, maybe, dunno, Grimgor would do that, but then again I wish he wouldn't exist. We're talking about fluff and SC (so those we find/used to find in the rules) here right? Then that's my opinion, these characters don't fit their role in the game, fluff-wise ;) That's why I like characters such as the two new goblin characters, or Wulfric. They could be justified in any battle, small or big, because the fluff makes them so.

Ullis
08-09-2013, 19:44
Empire: Luthor Huss
O&G: Grom the Paunch of Misty Mountain
Dwarfs: Burlok Damminson
WoC: Vilitch the Curseling (the mini is iffy, but the backstory harks back to older Warhammer)
DoC: Epidemius, Tallyman of Nurgle
Beastmen: Khazrak the One Eye
Skaven: Ikit Claw
Lizardmen: Lord Kroak
Ogres: Skrag the Slaughterer
Vampire Counts: Heinrich Kemmler
Wood Elves: Orion, the King in the Woods

The armies not listed are ones that either I am not overly familiar with, or simply do not think their characters are interesting.

Craze_b0i
08-09-2013, 23:29
They should be (you know what I mean). Teclis can certainly go on some herands of his own, but, then, it's his herrands, not just tagging along with general X. As for dudes like karl Franz or Malekith, as if they would take to the field for some skirmish, and not be accompanied by a massive army. When you're the leader of a nation, you don't go waltzing on your own on some battlefield just for fun. I wish these characters would be restricted to grand armies (and then get profiles a bit more fitting for their fluff). I don't ask anybody to share my point of view, but suspension of disbelief prevents me from accepting that Archaon would go on a border patrol to wipe out some gobs. Of all the "big" SC, maybe, dunno, Grimgor would do that, but then again I wish he wouldn't exist. We're talking about fluff and SC (so those we find/used to find in the rules) here right? Then that's my opinion, these characters don't fit their role in the game, fluff-wise ;) That's why I like characters such as the two new goblin characters, or Wulfric. They could be justified in any battle, small or big, because the fluff makes them so.

Actually I share your view I have felt this for a long time. .

Ramius4
09-09-2013, 02:34
Bretonnia: Jules le Jongleur and the Green Knight
Wood Elves: Durthu the Treeman
High Elves: Tyrion
Dark Elves: None
Undead: Back in the day it was always Nagash.
Dwarfs: Josef Bugman
Skaven: Lord Skrolk
Chaos: Scylla (not the new rules or model, but the 6th 7th ed version.
Ogres: None
Orcs and Goblins: Grom the Paunch
Lizardmen: Mazdamundi. I mean c'mon. It's a Slaan. On a Stegadon.

Fear Ghoul
09-09-2013, 11:12
Chaos - Archaon, Belakor, or Valkia the Bloody
Dark Elves - Malus Darkblade or Morathi
Lizardmen - Mazdamundi
Orcs and Goblins - Skarsnik or Morglum Necksnapper
Tomb Kings - Arkhan the Black or Khalida
Vampire Counts - Heinrich Kemmler, Mannfred von Carstein, or Zacharias the Everliving

This is only a problem if you believe that games of Fantasy represent skirmishes, rather than something much larger.

Craze_b0i
09-09-2013, 13:56
This is only a problem if you believe that games of Fantasy represent skirmishes, rather than something much larger.
Fair point. But even so Karl Franz would not lead every army in person, and even after you scale up then the army would still need to be pretty grand. I suppose in my mind most warhammer games, the normal type you play every week, are not to that scale.

arthurfallz
09-09-2013, 16:34
The only one's I know well enough are Bretonnians.

And it's a tie between the Green Knight (pure awesome, even if in play he's unpredicatable) and the Fey Enchantress (excellent centerpiece model).

I Am Forsaken
10-09-2013, 05:55
I love using both Vlad and Isabella in my VC army, especially now since the new book Isabella has real vampire stats. Also my Khorne warriors army is lead by Valkia, love her model and the rules aren't half bad.

Lord Dan
10-09-2013, 06:00
Only one really stands out in my mind, which is the old Eltharion the Blind character featured in a White Dwarf article.

Scammel
10-09-2013, 06:41

There seems to be some underlying assumption here that characters only wind up in battle when they pick their fights, as if they're looking over a menu and deciding which ones warrant their prescence. Loads of them might travel around with rather small retinues for myriad reasons and wind up in fights they didn't pick - Archaon travelled exclusively with his Swords for some period, equally Karl Franz might only need a token handful of the local militia to guard him whilst on some local routine diplomatic trip. Tyrion might be trying to lead the last remnants of his defeated army to safety when he gets ambushed.

Sexiest_hero
10-09-2013, 06:45
Arkkan the black, A flaming flying chariot of doom is awesome!

lordreaven448
10-09-2013, 07:26
For Daemons it has to be Skulltaker. I just love the model and the fact he will stand outside your Fortress yelling challenges at anyone who comes out. He's like a Khorne verision of a Jehovah's Witness.

danny-d-b
10-09-2013, 08:07
WOC- festus
The background fluff and caracter concept saved 7th for me, rather than giving up and walking away just played woc rather than empire using empire models rebased

lbecks
10-09-2013, 08:22
WoC: Crom
Beasts: Taurox
Vampires: Konrad
Dark Elves: Malus Darkblade, I had his comic book
Empire: Fully powered up Valten
Ogres: Greasus
Orcs: Azhag
Lizardmen: Kroak

Hawthorne
10-09-2013, 08:35
Beastmen: Super Dooombull. Easy, Next
Bretonnia: The Green Knight, the only one I know.
Daemons of Chaos: Skarbrand
Dark Elves: The dude with the Cthulhu Mask
Dwarfs: Thorgrim. Badass, with a book of hate and carried into battle on a golden throne. That's called swag.
High Elves: Dude who explodes on death, cause nothing says battle strategy like exploding when you die.
Lizardmen: Mazdumundi (sp). He's a Slann...on a Stegadon. A Slann on a...Stegadon...
Ogre Kingdoms: The dude with the Scythe that I think hurts himself. Always a solid strat.
Orcs and Goblins: I want to say Gorbad because I like his fluff and think's pretty awesome. But Grimgor is in that army. He'll murderhouse er'rybody without breaking a sweat.
Skaven: Snikch. C'mon.
Empire: Luthor Huss. Mostly because he's the only character I know other that Karl.
Tomb Kings: Apophas. Come on he's part Scarabs part dead guy.
Vampire Counts: Krell. Have you seen his Axe? His axe is amazing!
Warriors of Chaos: Scyla. I mean who else could it be? (Seriously though, I love Scyla)
Wood Elves: Orion mostly because he's the only constellation in the sky I can pretend to pick out every time (three stars in a row? Done.)

Bladelord
10-09-2013, 09:58
Beasts of Chaos: Ungrol Fourhorn - You just gotta love ungors.
Bretonnia: the Green Knight - As if the woods of Warhammer wasn't dangerous enough already.
Druchii: Morathi - Are there any bigger egos out there?
Dwemer: Bugman - hard to choose between all those lovely beardy balls but Bugman got the best beer known to this world.
The Empire: Ar-Ulric Emil Valgeir - Priest of the wolf who crushes the weak!
Asur - Alith Anar/Aislinn - the Shadow King is badass impersonated and the admiral rules his fleet with an ironfist even the dwarfs have to admire.
Hordes of Chaos: Sigvald the Magnificent - Hilarious Slaanesh worshipper.
Lizardmen: Mazdamundi - a gigantic frog riding a dinosaur, nuff said.
Ogre Kingdoms: Greasus Goldtooth - food & gold, he knows what gets the job done.
O&G - Grimgor Ironhide - WAAAGH!
Asrai: Orion, greater daemon of the woods - beware vermin of Bretonnia, the elven WAAAGH! are upon you!

Oogie boogie boss
10-09-2013, 10:11
OnG: Grom the Paunch
Empire: Karl Franz
Dwarves: Gotrek
Beastmen: Khazrak One Eye
VC: Konrad Von Carstein
WoC: Festus

Kakapo42
10-09-2013, 12:02
Wood Elves: Ariel. She's a powerful sorceress faerie queen, which is awesome, and on top of that she's actually quite nice as well (though don't get on her bad side whatever you do).

Beastmen: Cyanathair. This was actually quite a hard choice for me, since there are a few Beastmen characters I love (or rather love to hate), but Morghur won out in the end for being the classic nemesis of the Asrai.

Bretonnia: The Fay Enchantress. Again, I'm a fan of quite a few of the Bretonnian characters, but she won out for having a spectacular model.

Daemons of Chaos: Fateweaver. A scheming mastermind and incredibly powerful sorcerer to boot. Plus Tzeench in general reminds me of Wolfram and Hart from Angel.

Dark Elves: Morathi. So delightfully twisted and creepy.

Dwarves: Helga.

High Elves: Alith Anar, I love me a good sneaky trickster/guile-hero.

Lizardmen: Tetto'eko, because the model for him is awesome.

Ogres: Greasus Goldtooth. Hard to argue with the High Fantasy version of Jabba the Hutt.

Orcs & Goblins: Hard to choose, none of the O&G characters really pop out at me that much. Maybe Skarsnik, with all his fancy titles.

Skaven: Ikit Claw. Or as I like to call him, Iron Rat.

The Empire: Markus Wulfhart.

Tomb Kings: High Queen Khalida.

Vampire Counts: Vlad and Isabella Von Carstein. I'm a sucker for classic horror characters and Briam Stoker's Dracula (the 1990s movie with Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder in it), so both of them together would be my pick.

Warriors of Chaos: Three way toss-up between Galrauch, Sigvald and Vilitch.

Captain Collius
10-09-2013, 14:00
OKAY LETS DO THIS

Skaven: Queek Headtaker, He was already awesome, The book just made him better.

Lizards: Kroak, A dozen bloodthirster rip you apart what do you do, You destroy the entire demonic army.

High Elves: Korhil He's a badass and he could give less of a ------ about politics.

Ogres: So few choices but Golgfang

Tomb Kings: Khalida

O&G: Azhag He's carzy who doesn't love having a crazy orc running around the battlefield.

Dark Elves: Morathi

WOC:Wulfrik

Wood Elves: The twilight sisters

Empire: Wulfheart

Brets: Green Knight

Beastmen Brass Bull

VC: Konrad Von Carstein: Again Nuts vampire how can you go wrong.

Dwarves: Thorek Ironbrow

DOC: Skulltaker Like i need a reason.

thegoss84
10-09-2013, 14:46
Beastmen: Ghorros Warhoof. The most imposing and coolest of all the beastmen; he drinks, he kills, and he mounts anything he wants.
Bretonnia: The Green Knight
High Elves: Alith Anar
Lizardmen: Tehenauin.
O&G: Grom the Paunch. A huge-Goblin riding a chariot that isn't scared of elves anymore.
Ogres: Skragg the Slaughterer. A cool underdog kind of story where the reject becomes the leader. Leading an army full of gorgers is cool too. Jhared the Red was also great although he wasn't a real special character in the game.
Skaven: Deathmaster Snikch
WOC: Sigvald or Kholek
Wood Elves: I like the elves more than the wood part of the army, so I'd go with the Sisters of Twilight, although I don't know any of the past characters very well.

SteveW
10-09-2013, 15:47
Beastmen: Warhoof
Brets: Green Knight
Deamons: Fateweaver
Dark Elves:squidface
Dwarfs: Thorek
High Elves: Tyrion
Lizardmen: Tetto eko
OK: the fat one
Orc n Goblins: Grimgore
Skaven: I hate rats
The Empire: hairless rats
Tomb Kings: Prince Apophas
VC: Krell
WoC: Throgg
WE: Orion

Von Wibble
10-09-2013, 15:49
scammel - Amazing how many ambushes pre High Elf 8th edition book Teclis used to face then. You'd think they'd learn not to bother when he was such an "I-win" button against armies that had no specific answers to him.

My favourite SCs, mostly using background or models as the judging point with a few exceptions.

Empire - Marius Leitdorf.
Orcs+Goblins - Morglum Necksnapper.
Dwarfs - Gotrek.
High Elves - Eltharion the Blind.
Dark Elves - Kouran - sums up the pure evil of dark elves in that he had a town enslaved and burned to the ground just because he didn't like its name.
Wood Elves - Drycha.
WoC - Aekold Hellbrass (Mordrek and Siegvald are also good).
Beastmen - Morghur.
Daemons - Changeling
Skaven - Craventail, but Thanquol gets an honourable (well, dishonourable really) mention.
Tomb Kings - Apophas - again shame about the rules.
VCounts - Kemmler - for the hat alone!
Brets - Green Knight (though he (it?) always puts me in mind of Monty Python)
Lizardmen - Tetto-Ekko

Urgat
11-09-2013, 17:31
There seems to be some underlying assumption here that characters only wind up in battle when they pick their fights, as if they're looking over a menu and deciding which ones warrant their prescence. Loads of them might travel around with rather small retinues for myriad reasons and wind up in fights they didn't pick - Archaon travelled exclusively with his Swords for some period, equally Karl Franz might only need a token handful of the local militia to guard him whilst on some local routine diplomatic trip. Tyrion might be trying to lead the last remnants of his defeated army to safety when he gets ambushed.

Her... no? No. At best, that would be nice for special scenarios, but no, KF doesn't wander around with just a small retinue if there's possible enmy armies around. And even if it did happen, I'm sure they'd have him leave. If he's on a local diplomatic tour, you can be sure the locals provide sufficient protection and make sure nothing unsightly would happen to him, like running into a freaken enemy army in the middle of their territory. Archaon used to travel only with his Swords, before he was the Everchosen, right? As for Tyrion, sure, that example could happen. Every single battle he's being fielded? Of course there's the underlying assumption that they pick their battles, because that's what they do. Possible freak incidents don't make the rule, they make the exception. The exceptions can becovered with special scenarios.

yabbadabba
11-09-2013, 17:40
There seems to be some underlying assumption here that characters only wind up in battle when they pick their fights, as if they're looking over a menu and deciding which ones warrant their prescence. Loads of them might travel around with rather small retinues for myriad reasons and wind up in fights they didn't pick - Archaon travelled exclusively with his Swords for some period, equally Karl Franz might only need a token handful of the local militia to guard him whilst on some local routine diplomatic trip. Tyrion might be trying to lead the last remnants of his defeated army to safety when he gets ambushed. Agreed. Without a narrative campaign to hang such characters on, thereby realistically limiting their deployment, to limit them on an assumption that everyone stays locked up in their houses in case they shatter goes against everything that WFB, fantasy narratives and SCs stand for.

mostlyharmless
11-09-2013, 18:02
Lessee . . .

Beastmen: Morghur, master of skulls

Bretonnia: Joan of Arc, uh, I mean, Repanse de Lyonesse

Daemons: Epidemius, nothing more horrifying than an accountant

Dark Elves: Lokhir Fellheart, best value for the points, imho, and his model is badass

Dwarfs: Malakai Makaisson, engineer? check! crazy? check! axe-flinging machine of death? check!

High Elves: Korhil, the only high elf who you can rightfully call awesome

Lizardmen: Tenenhauin, gotta love the red crests

Ogres: Morg'n'Thorg, yes, I know, he be Blood Bowl, but I don't care

Orcs 'n Goblins: Borgut Facebeater, anyone with the name "Facebeater" is worthy of admiration and respect

Skaven: Ikit Klaw, because reasons silly man-thing

The Empire: Graf Boris Todbringer, gotta admit, man knows how to hold a grudge

Tomb Kings: Khalida, especially after reading the Nagash books

Vampire Counts: Abhorash

Warriors of Chaos: Crom the Conqueror, I was very sad that he was not included in the 8th edition book

Wood Elves: Skaw the Falconer, also a character that has been neglected

Urgat
11-09-2013, 18:59
Agreed. Without a narrative campaign to hang such characters on, thereby realistically limiting their deployment, to limit them on an assumption that everyone stays locked up in their houses in case they shatter goes against everything that WFB, fantasy narratives and SCs stand for.

Hey, the OP asked what favourite characters we liked, I answered and told why, that's all there is to it. Whatever I wish for is no reason to call me on it. SHould I just remove my previous posts? I don't feel at all like arguing about my own opinions these days, and it's already going that way apparently.

Scammel
11-09-2013, 20:15
At best, that would be nice for special scenarios

Begs the question of what a special scenario is when it's at home. Any and all games can have a million and one stories behind them, a narrative justification for a battle needn't be something that you let crawl out of the wardrobe once in a while.

but no, KF doesn't wander around with just a small retinue if there's possible enemy armies around.

Beastmen. Forest Goblins. Mountain raiders. Any number of unexpected ambushes.

And even if it did happen, I'm sure they'd have him leave.

The heir of Sigmar and wielder of Ghal Maraz? No way Jose.

Archaon used to travel only with his Swords, before he was the Everchosen, right?

Just a random example of an important character travelling with a small retinue. Plenty of other characters have done the same, some even being completely alone.

As for Tyrion, sure, that example could happen. Every single battle he's being fielded?

He could be stranded in enemy territory for a long while. He might have to fight through a dozen roving DE warbands before he can get to safety.

Of course there's the underlying assumption that they pick their battles, because that's what they do.

Sieges, ambushes, unexpected enemy marches whilst on campaign, yadda yadda yadda.

I think you're being a bit close-minded on this one.

Ganethis
11-09-2013, 20:42
Hm here we go.

High Elves: Caradryan, think he looks awesome.
Woodelves: Naestra & Arahan, twilight sisters on a dragon <3
Dark Elves: Malus Darkblade, read all 5 books on him as well.
Warriors of Chaos: Egrimm Van Horstman on Baudros, or maybe Abaal the undefeated.
Vampire Counts: Vlad von Carstein.
Empire: Luthor Huss.
Tomb Kings: Queen Khalida.
Orcs&Goblins: Grimgor Ironhide.
Dwarves: Bugman.. ofc.
Skaven: Deathmaster Snikch.
Lizardmen: Lord Kroak, who dosnt like a mummified toad.
Daemons: would have said Valkia the bloody, but i think she is WoC?.. else Skarbrand ofc.
Brettonia: Green Knight.

yabbadabba
11-09-2013, 21:19
Hey, the OP asked what favourite characters we liked, I answered and told why, that's all there is to it. Whatever I wish for is no reason to call me on it. Should I just remove my previous posts? I don't feel at all like arguing about my own opinions these days, and it's already going that way apparently. Calm down Urgat. If I wanted to take your argument apart I would, and as for my post following yours, these things happen. The OP just asked us for our SCs, not the why. You added that of your own volition, you have to expect people to respond, no?

I don't agree with you, nor your reasoning, but that doesn't mean I want you to change your opinion without it being your decision or think any lesser of you for it. Likewise, I would hope that you would respect and understand my and others oppositional position.

Urgat
11-09-2013, 21:22
I think you're being a bit close-minded on this one.

Maybe I do, still I won't change my mind. Having such grand characters partake in every little skirmish, in my mind, belittles them.

The OP just asked us for our SCs, not the why.

Come on :p

Rakariel
11-09-2013, 21:43
Dark Elves: Malus Darkblade
Dwarfs: Snorri
Vampire Counts: Neferata
Beastmen: Malagor and Slugtongue
Orcs & Goblins: Skarsnik
WoC: Sigvald
DoC: N`kari
Lizardmen: Kroak
Tomb Kings: Khalida
Empire: Reiner Hetzau
Bretonnia: The Green Knight
Wood Elves: Orion
High Elves: Eltharion the Blind
Ogres: Golgfag

Sheena Easton
11-09-2013, 22:56
High Elves: Eltharion The Grim
Orcs & Goblins: Gorfang Rotgut
Skaven: Tretch Craventail
Dwarfs: Josef Bugman
Warriors Of Chaos: Aekhold Helbrass
Daemons Of Chaos: Azazel
Dark Elves: Crone Hellebron
Lizardmen: Tetto'eko
Vampire Counts: Vlad Von Carstein
Wood Elves: The One Who Originally Fought At Hel Fen Before They Retconned It Whose Name Escapes Me

the factions where noone is mentioned is because they are dull or I don't have enough interest in them to know the Special Characters

bigbiggles
12-09-2013, 06:54
Blind eltharion. Although he never performed as well as his fluff made it seem. Cool model still

herohammer
12-09-2013, 08:10
I like

Beastmen- Ghorros
Bretonnia- The Green Knight
Chaos Dwarfs-none in the current book. If we go back to 4th ed. Astragoth
Daemons- Kharanak
Dark Elves- Lokhir Felheart
Dwarfs- Josef Bugman
High Elves- Alith Anar
Lizardmen- Tiq Taq To or Kroak...can't decide
Ogre Kingdoms- Greasus Goldtooth
Orcs and Goblins- Snarsnik
Skaven- Queek Headtaker
The Empire- Marius Lietdorf
Tomb Kings- Arkhan the Black
Vampire Counts- Heinrich Kemmler
Warriors of Chaos- Throgg
Wood Elves- Orion

Craze_b0i
12-09-2013, 19:50
Maybe I do, still I won't change my mind. Having such grand characters partake in every little skirmish, in my mind, belittles them.

Again I share the sentiment. To my mind it also makes the setting less epic. In reality warhammer is a big setting and the vast majority of battles fought do not involve the Emperor or Everchosen being there in person which would be impossible. Yes you could contrive reasons for the big guys to get caught up in little skirmishes but in the majority of cases such battles would be beneath them or handled by other generals. I am not against them appearing altogether, just sparingly in some moderation. I think folk sometimes look at maps of in the army books, maps which lack in fine detail, and underestimate how big the setting really is. For every city marked on the map there are likely a dozen towns and castles inbetween. The Emperor can't go everywhere at once.

yabbadabba
12-09-2013, 20:26
The Emperor can't go everywhere at once. And yet he is not.

Scammel
12-09-2013, 20:48
In reality warhammer is a big setting and the vast majority of battles fought do not involve the Emperor or Everchosen being there in person which would be impossible.

Let's extend the logic being used here: Usage of level 4 wizards should be restricted to one a year, with every player only allowed a single magic item worth under 10 points to use once a year. And only one person in, say, 20 should be allowed to play anything other than Goblins or Skaven. Same principle, if we're only saying battles that represent the vast majority of conflicts in the setting are suitable for typical play.

SteveW
13-09-2013, 01:44
The Green kniht can be at every bretonian battle, so he should be free :)

Craze_b0i
13-09-2013, 14:36
Let's extend the logic being used here: Usage of level 4 wizards should be restricted to one a year, with every player only allowed a single magic item worth under 10 points to use once a year. And only one person in, say, 20 should be allowed to play anything other than Goblins or Skaven. Same principle, if we're only saying battles that represent the vast majority of conflicts in the setting are suitable for typical play.

Well actually there are a number of L4 wizards out there in the setting whereas there is only 1 Karl Franz. Also a L4 wizard, powerful though he be, is still lower in stature than the Emperor. I could make the same point about magic items, of course it would be silly if every single peasant had a magic sword but they are commonplace enough in the setting to justify their use by heroes and wizards. There is an argument whether the use of magic items should be capped lower but I see no reason why they should be prohibited as you suggest.

The way I perceive it most warhammer games are simply not on a scale where the Emperor would get involved. If myself and my opponent come up with a campaign narrative whereby the whole Empire is under threat from invasion then ok fine, but for ordinary one-off battles played week in week out I just don't think he fits. I just feel it better reflects his stature if he is used sparingly or only present on special occasions.

Oogie boogie boss
13-09-2013, 15:09
I only use Lord level Special Characters in particularly large games personally. I think it's more in-keeping with the fluff to only bring them out above a certain points level, say 4,000pts+. Hero level SC, however, can justifiably be used at lower levels, though I still don't use them often. I find it's more fun to create a character for your own General and heroes and build a sense of narrative for them. Always makes the games more interesting.

Mr. Ultra
13-09-2013, 15:39
Bretonnia: the Green Knight. My all-times favourite fantasy model.

Dark Elves: Malus Darkblade. Because hatred is the most powerful thing in universe.

Orcs and Goblins: Grom the Paunch. He's a Goblin. He almost destroyed Ulthuan. Nuff Said.

Scammel
13-09-2013, 17:39
Well actually there are a number of L4 wizards out there in the setting whereas there is only 1 Karl Franz.

Of course. I'm pretty sure the 6th/7th ed BRB mentions that each faction boasts roundabout a mere dozen though.

There is an argument whether the use of magic items should be capped lower but I see no reason why they should be prohibited as you suggest.

Because they are stupidly rare. Isn't the line something along the likes of 'An experienced collector might be lucky enough to see a single minor one in all his lifetime'? There's certainly no logic to the vast, vast majority of armies turning up with half-a-dozen.

The way I perceive it most warhammer games are simply not on a scale where the Emperor would get involved.

There really isn't much scale for a lot of things then. As I said, kiss your level 4s, most likely level 3s and magic items goodbye.

MarshalFaust
13-09-2013, 18:42
Warhammer isn't a historical battle simulator. It's fun to play the big powerful combat dude or epic wizard leading his army to victory or defeat. thats not even mentioning the fact that your battle may only represent a portion of a larger battle or that the armies scale is not 1:1. What I hear when people complain about special characters being in every battle is that you would really rather play historics in a fantasy setting. Maybe try out napoleonic wargaming if you don't like seeing the head honcho faction leader showing up on the battlefield from time to time......oh wait nevermind.

My favorite is Kroq-Gar he's this near immortal badass that was there at the start of the chaos invasions and can stand toe to toe with any chaos lord or daemon. Hes like that really crank old guy that lives at the end of the culdasac who saw some serious s**t in korea and you dare not play on his lawn.

TheDungen
13-09-2013, 19:27
beastmen: Morghur, his immortal spiritof chaos fighting the wood elfs stuff was awesome
brettonia: bertrand the brigand, becuase hey robin hood.
DoC: belakor, best special character in warhammer period, loved mordheim and dark shadows
DE: Shadow blade, becuase all the others are worse sterotypes
Dwarfs: Grombindal, loved the comic in wd 300
HE: The shadow king, wth teclis as a close second, tyrion is loathe.
LM: Mazdamundi, as someone said slann on a stegadon. second most epic thing ever.
Ogre Kingdoms: vacant don't know their SCs
O&G: Azag, but i like skarsnik too, skarnisk is cunning but azag is nice becuase he's smart because of the crown.
Skaven: Snikch, because he's arat ninja, face it he's basically splinter
Empire: Luthor Huss, where do i start? becuase he focuses on the mud dirt and ********* of the warhammer world rather than the shining armour and great magicians.
TK: Khalida, because she's the only non evil TK in the fluff and that's a direction I'd very much like them to expand the army towards.
VC: Kemmler, same reasons as huss above, he's a relic from when warhammer was smaller, and more complicated.
WoC: Aekold Hellbrass, again the gift of life is such a strange gift for chaos to have which shows just how random chaos really is.
WE: the falconeer guy. cause he killed morghur once, or am i thinking of the wrong guy?

Drasanil
13-09-2013, 22:03
Dark Elves - Kouran - sums up the pure evil of dark elves in that he had a town enslaved and burned to the ground just because he didn't like its name.

That's Tullaris, Kouran is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Emotionally dead killer who only cares about doing his job no matter what it is or the costs.

--- --- ---

For myself:

Beastmen - Gorthor or One-Eye, I don't really like beastmen, but at least these two make them seem more like a credible threat instead of a bad joke that should have gotten whipped out by mass deforestation efforts.

Bretonnia - Green Knight.

Daemons of Chaos - Azazel (SP?).

Dark Elves - Malekith, the rightful king of Ulthuan and perhaps one of the biggest falls from grace in warhammer, the irony that the outcome the princes sought to avert happening because they simply didn't give him what he wanted at the start is delicious. Shame that of all the 'bad guys' he suffers the worst from classic villain syndrome in that he's never really allowed to win at anything.

Dwarfs - Thorgrim, I love his stance on trying to strike out all the grudges in the book instead of just leaving them because brooding over them is more fun. A really backwards and dwarfy way of moving trying to move his people forward.

High Elves - Used to be Allarielle back in 5th, I liked that she represented a more civilian day to day side of the high elves. The current incarnation having her go all raar-raar warrior queen is a disappointment and really counter to what she is supposed to represent. So after that I would say Imrik if only for his little fluff blurb in the Warhammer BRB really showing off the High Elves' imperialistic side.

Lizardmen - Don't know much about them, but I would say Kroak if only for his awesome defense of his temple city when the gates collapsed and his refusal to stay properly dead even 5k years down the road.

Ogres - Golgfag, not that I'm particularly enamored with him but he's just better than the rest of a fairly dull field.

Orcs & Gobbos - Morglum, everything a legendary black orc warboss should be...really hope he snaps Grimbore's neck someday :D

Skaven - Scratch Craventail or what ever his name is, the only skaven that does the running away and fetching reinforcements routine better than Thanquol, closely followed by Thanquol who is pretty much the high point of most G&F novels. Loved how he kept betraying all his allies in the skavenslayer, his letters to G&F were priceless.

The Empire - Emmanuelle von Liebwitz! Finally an elector that acts like the privileged indolent noble they should be. Not to mention her briefly trying to go all cougar on Franz's son in Beast in Velvet (I think) was pretty awesome. Failing that, the Mad Count, slaughtering halflings with righteous indignation for constantly sabotaging his efforts to build a bridge :)

Tomb Kings - That architect dude, don't even remember his rules, just loved his fluff where he kept getting a fall guy to be killed and entombed with his employer so he could keep on going building stuff.

Vampire Counts - Vlad, feels like he really the most sympathetic of vampire lords and the only one that seems to have thought things through to the point of "Wait, if everyone is undead, were will I get my fresh blood?" Following that Konrad, because his hijinks in the VC book were hilarious. I love the mental image of him and his necromancers hightailing cartoon style with the zombie-emperor once they realised the gig was up.

Warriors of Chaos - Sigvald, really embodies what Slaanesh is all about.

Wood Elves - Ariel and Orion I guess, Ariel more than Orion since she really comes across as the beating heart of the Asrai where as Orion feels more like a force of nature.

Layne in Spayne
13-09-2013, 22:24
Dark Elves - Malekith, the rightful king of Ulthuan and perhaps one of the biggest falls from grace in warhammer, the irony that the outcome the princes sought to avert happening because they simply didn't give him what he wanted at the start is delicious. Shame that of all the 'bad guys' he suffers the worst from classic villain syndrome in that he's never really allowed to win at anything.

Not to worry - he'll get them next time, and their little dogs too.

Kakapo42
14-09-2013, 02:30
WE: the falconeer guy. cause he killed morghur once, or am i thinking of the wrong guy?

You are. It was Sarloc, the scout guy who killed him once, with the help of his scouts, by riddling him with over 100 arrows. That's not to say the Falconeer one isn't awesome too though.

TheDungen
14-09-2013, 11:42
then I'll change my wood elf vote to Sarloc, it's awesome that an immortal spirit of chaos can still be taken down if you hit him with enough arrows.

badguyshaveallthefun
14-09-2013, 18:19
High Elves: Eltharion. I've always had a soft spot for the guy, back in the day when he was a blind swordmaster, and currently now that he's "the grim" and warden of Tor Yvresse, he's a dark, brooding character, and those are the types that appeal to me

Warriors of Chaos: Wulfrik. I think the idea of being able to uniquely and appropriately challenge anyone in their own tongue is pretty cool.

Beastmen: Taurus the Brass Bull. He's got a pretty cool backstory, and it seems like a cautionary tale for all those DoomBulls out there who get too carried away by their bloodgreed.

Chaos Dwarves: There's really only one in the new book, and I don't really care for him, so...none? I don't have any of the old fluff so I don't know about any of the old characters, but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere that would appeal to me.

Chaos Daemons: Kairos Fateweaver. He was tossed into a well by Tzeentch because Tzeentch was too afraid to go in, and he lived. Now he knows things that not even Tzeentch does. That's awesome.

Vampire Counts: Mannfried von Carstein. the [man] was a cold, calculating bastard who bid his time and waited until everything was right. That appeals to me.

Those are the armies that I either play or have played in the past, so I feel qualified to answer. Some other favorites from novels:

Skaven: Grey Seer Thanquol. The man is a clumsy accident prone idiot, and everything that can go wrong with his plans usually does, yet he's so paranoid that even though these things that happen to him truly are "accidents" he finds some way to make it about his enemies conspiring against him. That's hilarious to me.

Dark Elves: Malus Darkblade. He's got a Daemon living inside him and he's capable of some truly terrible things, even for a Dark Elf. Yet despite it all he's naive enough to think that his soul can still be saved. That appeals to me.

Deris87
15-09-2013, 03:20
For HE everyone seems to love Alith Anar (who certainly is cool), but I've always really liked Caradryan. He doesn't have as much personality maybe, what with being unable to talk, but he represents a very inspiring archetype--the redemptive power of good, and the.strength of conviction. The image of Phoenix Guard in general is very cool, but Caradryan puts a face on it. Plus, the whole speaking one last time to call down the wrath of Asuryan is pretty awesome imagery.

TheDungen
15-09-2013, 10:44
caradryan could be cool so could Korhil but they need depth. Just how bad was caradryan before asuryan offered him redemption in return for servitude, and like anything on Korhil that makes him more than the captain of the white lions. was he a noble or a commoner before joining the white lions? did he struggle against the odds or was he expected to do this by a hundred generations of his line?

Askari
15-09-2013, 14:45
The Empire: Marius Leitdorf. He's crazy, but as prone to fits of genius as much as insanity. He also has impeccable fashion sense.

Chaos Daemons: Be'lakor, or the Blue Scribes

Warriors of Chaos: Aekold Helbrass. The Path of Life is one of the more chaotic abilities out there (Honourable mention to Wulfrik's ability, granted) and his story in the Liber Tzeentch is one of the better stories for any character, imo.

Vampire Counts: Kemmler

Tomb Kings: Arkhan the Black. Just because you're a badass undead lich-thing doesn't mean you can't fight like a Tomb King as well. Also, Level 5.

Lizardmen: Kroak. Quite possibly one of the more awesome characters in anything, death means nothing whatsoever to this guy.

Orcs and Goblins: Azhag and/or Grom the Paunch

The other races: Are stunted, Ogres, or backward tree-dwelling pointy-ears/beastmen.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
15-09-2013, 15:27
Hmm...

Orcs and Goblins: Grimgor Ironhide, just for the actions that came about in the Storm of Chaos thanks to Orcs players, however I like in him in general as well. (Skarsnik is a close second)

The Empire: Kurt Helborg, partially due to the model, but also thanks to the background he seems a pretty handy warrior.

Skaven: Ikit Claw, ah can't go wrong with Clan Skryre.

High Elf: Alith Anar, every villian needs a good rival, and this guy is ours. Feth all the other Asur, this is the fella who could screw it up for us. :)

Dark Elf: I'm thinking.. not sure who it could be at all.. :D (Although her old rival Hellebron runs her pretty close.)

Wood Elf: The twins, can't remember the names, but they have a cool backstory.. just a shame about the models.

Warriors of Chaos: Valkia the Bloody, proving girls can can be just as awesome a Chaos Warrior as the next man.

Bretonnians: The Green Knight, the only one that caused me to do anything other than flick past the page last time I saw their book.

Daemons of Chaos: none of note.

Dwarf: Not sure he is current, but my fave was the Slayer King.

Vampire Counts: Vlad and Isabella von Carstein.

Tomb Kings: High Queeh Khalida (starting to see a pattern here. :D )

Beastmen: Khazrak the One Eye, always liked his backstory.

Ogre Kingdoms: Golgfag Maneater, a classic character reborn with the last book, love the Maneaters and the whole story beind Golgfag.

Nightmare84
18-09-2013, 00:32
Orc and goblin- wurzag
Dark elves- tie between malus and malekith
High elves- eltharion the blind
Chaos- Valkia, purely for the mini
Skaven- snikitch. My first model!
Vampires_- krell
Lizardmen- mazdamundi
Empire- luthor huss
The rest either don't have a stand out of I have never been interested in their army

Wesser
18-09-2013, 08:33
Tretch Craventail - Really captures what a Skaven Chieftain should be. Coward, lucky, treacherous, backstabber.

His fluff could stand alone in explaining what Skaven is all about.

Skulltaker - Most creatures of Khorne comes off as just senseless butchers. I like a more sensible approach where quantity is sought, but quality preferred, and the martial, somewhat honourable apparoach of Skulltaker allows for a better Khorne.

On a different note - away with all characters who fluffwise are dead and gone and has no place in the timeline. Marius Leitdorf, Vlad, Isabella, Konrad, Mannfred the Acolyte and Gorthor. Out with them. Lord Kroak and Valkia are also slightly iffy in that regard. Dead mage-priest spirit and a warrior of khorne who failed? Whaaaa?