PDA

View Full Version : Greatest fantasy characters of all time

Craze_b0i
07-09-2013, 23:46
What are your all-time favourite individual characters from the genre of fantasy. *Can include literature, game sourcebooks or even film/television. Anything from Warhammer to LOTR via Conan the Cimmerian, Game of Thrones or World of Warcraft. :) Please state in each case the source material where not obvious.

My selections in no particular order:

Thrall (Warcraft) - An orc raised by humans, slave turned war-chief and saviour of his people. what's not to like?

Felix Jaeger (Warhammer) - One of the few good guys in a grimdark setting.

Genevieve Dieudonne (warhammer) - A sympathetic vampire that goes against type

Aragorn (LOTR) - king-in-waiting who is not afraid to get his hands dirty, a man you'd follow to the very gates of Mordor.

Bilbo Baggins (LOTR) - brave and comical

Lothlanathorian
08-09-2013, 06:59
(Old World of Darkness)
Prince/King Jonas Albrecht and Golgol Fangs First: Two badass leaders of the Garou Nation from the first RPG system I truly fell in love with.

(Forgotten Realms/Legend of Drizzt series)
King Bruenor Battlehammer: Excellent friend, good leader and fantastic character

Thwibbledworf Pwent: The original Dwarven Battlerager. Hilarious character and best weapon against anything you happen to run up against.

Jarlaxle: Everything you love about the Dark Elves and Drizzt Do'Urden without all those pesky morals and other things that get in the way of a good time.

(Joe Abercrombie's books)

Logen Ninefingers: Most feared man in the North, rather amusing character and wholly sympathetic.

(ASoIaF)
Tyrion Lannister: At this point, I think it's safe to say you all already know why.

(Dune)
Paul Atreides: I just like him. He's smart, clever, not arrogant. He's the perfect 'hero' character without all the annoyance of being stuck in the Star Wars universe.

There are a lot more, but, I'm rather tired and don't feel like thinking or throwing up a huge wall of text.

Sotek
08-09-2013, 09:55
I don't like any of the above characters except Genevive Dudonne. Rastalin from Dragonlance is complex and interesting

yabbadabba
08-09-2013, 10:42
I don't think you can be definitive about this, and some of mine have already been mentioned, but to add in:

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
Rincewind
Nanny Ogg and Greebo
Conan

ColShaw
08-09-2013, 13:43
Sam Vimes, Discworld's top cop. "THAT! IS!! NOT!!! MY!!! COW!!!!!"

Sam Gamgee, Middle Earth's top gardener. "I can't carry it, but I can carry you."

Albus Dumbledore. "Nitwit. Blubber. Oddment. Tweak."

Fflewddur Fflam, bard, king, pathological liar, rides a giant cat into battle. "A Fflam never hesitates!"

Odin
08-09-2013, 15:06
Almost all of my favourites are from Joe Abercrombie books. Inquisitor Glotka, Logen, Cosca, Shivers, all great characters who manage to epitomise some of the worst aspects of humanity whilst remaining sympathetic and in many ways victims of the world they live in.

MOMUS
09-09-2013, 09:44
Willow from willow. He was great and I like saying the word willow.

Willow. :yes:

NixonAsADaemonPrince
09-09-2013, 09:54
Willow for his wily and willowy ways :willow:

horizon
09-09-2013, 13:38
Tom Bolbadil & Goldberry
+ the Fellowship

Rincewind + Chest
Death

Scaryscarymushroom
09-09-2013, 14:46
Vlad Taltos, from Steven Brust's Taltos series.

arthurfallz
12-09-2013, 17:31
In my younger years, I felt closest to Frodo. But I've appreciated Aragorn II more as I've aged (Middle Earth). Turin really captured my imagination as well.

nosebiter
12-09-2013, 17:46
Snorri - from the gotrek and felix books, makes me laugh so hard.

Felix Jaeger

Drizzt Do'urden - in the first 6 books anyway

The Bouldershoulder brothers.

ColShaw
12-09-2013, 18:03
In my younger years, I felt closest to Frodo. But I've appreciated Aragorn II more as I've aged (Middle Earth). Turin really captured my imagination as well.

You get extra nerd points for knowing Aragorn's full name. :)

Caiphas Cain
12-09-2013, 18:06
Dumbledore, Gandalf, Paul Atreides, Bilbo, Sirius Black, Willow, everyone from Dragonlance (especially Raistlin but the rest have their moments), Frodo....

Too much I tell you!

Freak Ona Leash
12-09-2013, 19:26
You get extra nerd points for knowing Aragorn's full name. :)

Elessar Telcontar, also Aragorn II son of Arathorn II, also called Estel by the Elves during his fosterage at Rivendell, Strider by the men and halflings of Bree, and Thorongil by the men of Gonder while incognito. Nerds for the nerd god, etc.

Also, Logen Ninefingers, Whirrun of Bligh and Stranger-Come-Knocking. And Fergus Mac Roich. Derfel Cadarn counts too, damn you all.

Urgat
13-09-2013, 05:37
Ashram (Chronicles of Lodoss Wars): a bad guy who actually wins all his fights against all the good guys, and that you can't help but sympathize with. Plus he looks badass with his jet-black armor.

eldargal
13-09-2013, 06:47
In no particular order: Hermione Granger, Sam Vimes, Eowyn, Ulrika the Vampire, Dumbledore, Rincewind, Granny Weatherwax.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
13-09-2013, 07:24
Drizzt Do'Urden - Still one of my all time fave characters

Artemis Entreri - Just an excellent villian to start, with a fair few sides to him as well.

Kitiara Uth Matar - One of my fave female characters of all time, villian be damned.

Lucita de Aragon - daughter of the Lasombra, and one of my all time favourite Vampire the Masquerade characters.

King Jonas Albrecht - From a shunned drunk warrior to King of the Garou Nation, he is one of my fave Werewolf the Apocalypse characters.

Alias - from the book Azure Bonds and a couple of extras.

Angelika Fleischer - Probably my favourite series of Warhammer Fantasy books are all based around this lass.

Lady Susan Sto Helit - Although it might be more of a case I just love pretty much any Discworld book shes been associated with.

Death - Discworld, he's just awesome.

Gandalf the Grey/White - although I'm not the biggest fan of Middle Earth, I do like the character of Gandalf and the part he has to play through the books.

I am sure I am forgetting many.

scavenseer
17-09-2013, 12:47
Druss the legend, the toughest old man in history!

Matt Cauthon, Time to roll the dice!

And my personal favourite Corpral Nobbs!:p