PDA

View Full Version : Mephiston

Dkoz
08-09-2013, 12:44
I'm hoping that in the 6th edition blood angles codex GW makes Mephiston an Independent character, anyone else feel this way? I'd at least like to see him get an invulnerable save if they don't allow him to join a squad.

Gig
08-09-2013, 13:09
No thank you, he is more than powerful enough as he is with his Primarch statline.

MagicHat
08-09-2013, 13:16
He have monstrous creature stats with a 2+, but is ridiculously easy to hide compared to them and can ride around in transports.
Give him a unique psychic power, "Wings of Sanguinius" turning him into a Flying monstrous creature. He will then have mobility and AP2, and still have two rolls on psychic power tables, giving him a chance og Forewarning.
I don't think he needs more then that.

Arryn
08-09-2013, 13:25
There's a lot that will need tone cleaned up in a new ba codex to bring us into line with 6th ed... I.e. dc tycho joining dc... If meph is rejigged a bit I wouldn't mind, so long as its not a massive nerf; he is The Lord of death you know :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Dkoz
08-09-2013, 13:44
Ya Mephiston is a beast I've been reading Eclipse of Hope and he is a bad @$$ mother (shut your mouth). It just seems to me that with all the new shooting, over watch, etc rules he could use a little more survivablety. I love my BAs but we need something to keep us from getting murdered on our way to assaulting the enemy.

MvS
08-09-2013, 13:48
I know it's a bit off topic, but I found the last Blood Angels Codex cluttered and disjointed - both in terms of unit entries and the imagery. I'm hoping the next edition merges Honour Guards and Saguinary Guards into the same slot (so essentially the Sanguinary Guards ARE Honour Guards for the Chapter, period, but perhaps with the possibility of upgrading their ritual weapons).

I don't know what can be done to level Lemartes vs. Astorath, or Dante vs. Sanguinor. Some like the additional characters of Sanguinor and Astorath, I can't help feel that they are clutter that dilute the roles of both Lemartes and Dante.

Whatever the case with these other issues, I think Mephiston needs some attention, though as others have said, not a 'nerf'. I'd like him to continue to represent what happens if Blood Angels submit to the Red Thirst and Black Rage and come out of the other side having 'mastered' it, while I would like Dante to be his equal opposite (taking Sanguinor's role along with his own) as what Blood Angels could be like if they had the incredibly psychological and spiritual fortitude to succeed in escaping the Black Rage and and transcending Red Thirst.

Both are extreme rarities, perhaps unique, to the history of the Chapter and if we were to merge Dante and Mephiston into one person you'd get Sangiunius.

Poseidal
08-09-2013, 14:08
I get the impression Sanguinor and Astorath were new models for a re-envisioned Dante and Mephiston, but the sculpts got made into new characters as the old ones were still decent.

MvS
08-09-2013, 23:07
EXACTLY my thoughts upon seeing them.

I also much prefered the ideas knocking around prior to release of the Codex that the Blood Angels are divided (though still loyal brothers) between factions that embrace the Red Thirst with an aim of mastering it like Mephiston, and those who reject the Red Thirst in the hopes of transcending it like Dante (and perhaps the Sanguinary Guard).

Ah well.

Reeniee
08-09-2013, 23:15
I'd also like to see Tycho not be totally boring one time. :(

Dkoz
09-09-2013, 13:13
Mephiston is one of the best BAs, even possible one of the greatest space marines there is. His fluff is crazy Eclipse of hope makes him a total bad @$$, and I don't think he so much embraced the red thirst as burned through it well baired under a ton of rubble.

T10
09-09-2013, 13:46
I love my BAs but we need something to keep us from getting murdered on our way to assaulting the enemy.

As a non-BA player I can't agree.

-T10

Santtu
09-09-2013, 13:49
Mephiston is gonna make or break the next codex for me. He holds a special place in my heart because he was the first 40k miniature I ever bought and I really liked using him with the White Dwarf codex. I was very disappointed when he became a monstrous creature in the Wardex. If he's not returned to his old statline + independent character status in the next codex, I'll sell my Blood Angels.

ChaosLordKaranath
09-09-2013, 13:51
Ithink BA need toning down slightly (currently for some reason Death Company are better than Bezerkers in combat for example) Also I would like to see Blood Tallons get nerfed please. Dont get me wrong I think its a cool concept but the fact is it basically means that a Blood Angels dreadnought can rip its way through a entire squad without much effort. Atleast make them pay to switch to the talons that would make me alot happier. Also for the love of all things chaos please Nerf Mephiston hes got a better toughness than a Daemon Prince at the VERY least make him a monstrous creature. Also please remove the whole Descent of Angels rule as that rule is stupid (oh yes I only scatter D6" just cause im a blood angel bro"

jubilex
09-09-2013, 14:05
What, that meph bloke who ate two 16 man berzerker squads, the best part of 10 csm's and finally sloughed off this mortal coil after the shooting of 2 termie squads, including 4x combi meltas?
You want that more powerful?
Help!

Nonalyth
09-09-2013, 14:09
Death Company are a special case, since the new edition turned their biggest weakness (having to move towards and assault the nearest target) into a flat out buff. Let's be honest though, pretty much all of the Wardexes need a re-write.

Karhedron
09-09-2013, 14:19
As others have said, I think the word disjointed sums up the BAs pretty well at the moment. The Codex looks like a lot of effort was put into squeezing lots of cool toys into the army list without any thought as to whether those options could be put together into a balanced but effective army. The fact that specific units get complained about as being overpowered while the army as a whole seems to fair badly at tournaments suggest they failed. Cool rules and units alone do not make a strong list. currently it is hard to afford any of the toys while having enough points left for Troop units. The shift away from CC towards shooting in 6th edition has not helped. Nor has the fact that assault squads seem to be worse than bike squads at actually assaulting.

Lightning Strike!
09-09-2013, 19:48
Give him a unique psychic power, "Wings of Sanguinius" turning him into a Flying monstrous creature.

This is probably the most balanced approach. It grants him great mobility, and adds some resilience to him versus things that would ignore his invulnerable save.

gwarsh41
09-09-2013, 20:24
Mephiston is gonna make or break the next codex for me.

I feel the same about ragnar blackmane for SW. I love what they made him, but he also became super expensive. He was the only HQ I owned for the longest time.

Nids vs SW, who will win the glory of being my final 40k army?