PDA

View Full Version : SM Company now considerably less points

Mister Hat
09-09-2013, 15:44
I'm quite excited about my SM - first time in quite a while. I'm kind of relieved about this since C:CSM had all but finished off my 40k enthusiasm.

I usually field an entire company, playing at 2000 points - 6 tac squads, 2 dev and 2 assault. The dev squads take 4 x las each, which gives me my AT. No cries of cheese, please! Tac squads are ML/Flamer.

Under the new codex the devs are an incredible 80 pts cheaper even with a vet sgt, the tac squads can lose their vet sgt to save me 60 pts and the assault squads (now with 2 x flamer) are still 10 pts less.

Add in chapter tactics and I am a very happy bunny - there are around 240 pts there for nothing. Suggestions on where to spend them most profitably please!

Str10_hurts
09-09-2013, 15:52
Add Marneus Galgar for souped up fearless+

Telemachus
09-09-2013, 15:54
What was your original HQ?

Mister Hat
09-09-2013, 16:04
A basic libby and a chaplain with jump pack.

Latro_
09-09-2013, 16:54
i take it you'v never faced heldrakes with this army? one of those new anti air tanks or an aegis for when the doomchickens turn up one day

Telemachus
09-09-2013, 16:56
Don't know the new points off hand (I don't have the Codex yet :cries:) but what about dropping one of the HQ's and putting 8 drop pods in there? That'll be fun.

Oberon
09-09-2013, 17:10
I wouldn't say they are cheaper for nothing, since you _do_ lose stuff you had before when you had to buy it. If you take the same stuff as before, the squad will stilll cost the same. At least for that tactical squad, I haven't checked for the others. Veteran sergeants are actually useful, unless you compensate some other way. I for example never take vet srgs if I take Azrael (Ld10 for everybody ftw) but I'll take them when fielding Sammael or somebody else.

Losing Command
09-09-2013, 18:02
If you take a Heavy bolter or Multi-melta the tactical squad is 5 points cheaper than before though. Not huge, but still :)

hobojebus
09-09-2013, 18:52
"Thats great that means you can buy more models!" quoted from every GW store employee.

Gonna be 100% cynical here and just say thats the only reason points drop so you shell out more cash.

Lord Damocles
09-09-2013, 19:28
Gonna be 100% cynical here and just say thats the only reason points drop so you shell out more cash.
People complain that Devastators are too expensive

Devastators reduce in points

Conspiracy by evil GW!

IcedCrow
09-09-2013, 19:41

Conspiracy by evil GW!

Trying to please gamers is like trying to please political parties on the actions of the opposing party.

Never going to happen.

Freman Bloodglaive
09-09-2013, 22:20
I'm pleased with the new Space Marine Codex.

Biker command squads became much cheaper, finally competitive with assault terminators.

zam2
10-09-2013, 02:56
I'm pleased with the new Space Marine Codex.

Biker command squads became much cheaper, finally competitive with assault terminators.

It's a shame we lose special weapons on command squads though. I'll cling to the fool's hope it was a misprint and will get fixed in an FAQ, but until then I'll be biking around smashing things with hammer of wrath. Might even convert them to look like a biker gang for gits and shiggles.

The Emperor
10-09-2013, 03:05

Conspiracy by evil GW!

Yeah, I don't mind unit prices dropping. If I want to have an army with fewer models I can either load them up with options or play smaller point forces, 1200 point armies instead of 1500 points. Simple.

Mr_Rose
10-09-2013, 09:04
I'm quite excited about my SM - first time in quite a while. I'm kind of relieved about this since C:CSM had all but finished off my 40k enthusiasm.

I usually field an entire company, playing at 2000 points - 6 tac squads, 2 dev and 2 assault. The dev squads take 4 x las each, which gives me my AT. No cries of cheese, please! Tac squads are ML/Flamer.

Under the new codex the devs are an incredible 80 pts cheaper even with a vet sgt, the tac squads can lose their vet sgt to save me 60 pts and the assault squads (now with 2 x flamer) are still 10 pts less.

Add in chapter tactics and I am a very happy bunny - there are around 240 pts there for nothing. Suggestions on where to spend them most profitably please!

By an astonishing coincidence, that's just enough to fit one or two of the new toys. Perhaps a Hunter? Maybe some flakk missiles as backup too? You seem not to have much in the way of dedicated anti-air which might be a problem. You can also fit a stormtalon in there if you squeeze hard enough… yeah; Hunter, Stormtalon, Flakk ×6 = 240 exactly. Or forget the flakk and give the talon a typhoon launcher, the hunter a stormbolter and extra armour and keep a vet sergeant somewhere.

Mister Hat
10-09-2013, 11:08
By an astonishing coincidence, that's just enough to fit one or two of the new toys. Perhaps a Hunter? Maybe some flakk missiles as backup too? You seem not to have much in the way of dedicated anti-air which might be a problem. You can also fit a stormtalon in there if you squeeze hard enough… yeah; Hunter, Stormtalon, Flakk ×6 = 240 exactly.

That made me smile :-) You sound as cynical as me. The fact GW have figured out that if they lower points it encourages people to buy more toys doesn't vex me hugely - they are a business after all, and they are bloody nice toys!

There is not much in the way of air around here, but there are plenty of skimmers, so a hunter it is. And the idea of loads of pods really appeals, just not to the wallet.

I'm not sure the new codex is going to put SM in the top tier but us maureen players have been given quite a bit extra this time round, over 5th. My one hesitation is Tau - there isn't a single tau player at our club so I'm not at all sure how to deal with them. I'm fairly certain that a wall of SMs charging forward is definately NOT the way to do it. Anybody got any thoughts on that?

Thud
10-09-2013, 12:04
It's a shame we lose special weapons on command squads though. I'll cling to the fool's hope it was a misprint and will get fixed in an FAQ

Ask and ye shall receive. (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3450050a_Space_Marines_v1.0_SEPTEMBER13.pdf)

The Emperor
10-09-2013, 12:41
Ask and ye shall receive. (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3450050a_Space_Marines_v1.0_SEPTEMBER13.pdf)

Well, that was fast. :p

Bookwrak
10-09-2013, 18:29
that made me so happy. :D