PDA

View Full Version : How has your Space Marine army changed

Zanzibarthefirst
10-09-2013, 02:26
With the new book a few things have changed and everyone will no doubt be adding somethings whilst removing others. For my Salamanders I'm having to find new HQ choices since I ran Lysander and Cassius as Tu'Shan and Xavier respectively and my scout squad can no longer take Telion. Overall my army is around 180 points cheaper because of the change in characters but would probably be no different to if I had ran Vulkan in a 5th edition list instead of Lysander.

Will chapter tactics change the way you build your army?

Archon of Death
10-09-2013, 02:39
Characters are really the only thing that should be changed, if you select the correct CT your army will be better at doing whatever it did before (provided you specialized, if you didn't... well heck you should still be better at being generalized)

zam2
10-09-2013, 02:59
My Dreadnoughts got a little tougher with the Iron Hands traits and Techmarines being a non-slot HQ. My Chaplains can take command squads again and I'll probably take Librarians now they're so much cheaper.

Zanzibarthefirst
12-09-2013, 10:58
With most thing being cheaper than they were what kind of things do you look to add. Are these things that fit well with your chapter tactics or because they look cool.

Dr Zoidberg
12-09-2013, 11:31
Actually, not much really. I'm going to run a Centurion devastator squad, and might consider some Sternguard Vets in a Pod, but other than that - not much.

I'd always envisioned it as an Imperial Fist successor chapter, so am quite happy with their Chapter Tactics given I run a lot of Tac Squads with Heavy Bolters - so the re-roll on '1s' to hit will come in handy.

StraightSilver
12-09-2013, 11:52
Well my Ultramarines list hasn't significantly changed.

My generic captain may be upgraded to a Chapter master as they are now different enough to warrant the upgrade, but then again I may just keep him as a captain but give him a Chapter Relic.

I might field one more Tactical Squad than usual thanks to my Chapter Trait, but currently run 2 which might be sufficient.

Scouts however got a lot cheaper, I run 2 squads already but am considering putting them both in LS Storms now as they are dedicated transport so don't take up a valuable FA slot (and they're also better now anyway).

The only new addition so far is a Storm Talon. God awful model (although lovely to build) as currently I use IG allies to get a flyer, but the Storm Talon seems ok now (although still not as a good as the Vendetta I currently run).

I doubt I will be adding Centurions, I don't mind the models it's just that so far I don't see the point of them. My devastators and Terminators fill both roles adequately right now but I may be convinced otherwise when I see them in action.

I have to say that although the Codex hasn't changed a huge amount from 5th to 6th there are a lot of subtle little changes that I am very happy with, and for my Ultras I think it's a nice balanced update.

However my "other" Marine army is Black Templars....

These changes I am not happy about as they have been pretty major.

In the old 'Dex I could take more Chaplains and they were better. I could also have Terminator Command Squads and 2 special weapons in a Terminator Squad.

This might not sound like a major problem but my army was pretty much built around a solid core of Terminators with Crusade Squads and Sword Brethren.

Fair enough BT players now have a hell of a lot more to play with, and I haven't sat down and rewritten my list or played with them yet but on paper I'm a little bit disappointed, they just seem like a generic marine army now but maybe I'm just whining.

Any other BT players noticed much change?

Voss
12-09-2013, 12:01
Just that they're better (the crusader squad carries most of the weight here, flexible, cheaper and with better built in options, including grenades and neophyte bolters), and most of the changes, like the 2 weapon terminator squads and veteran skills, have been a Sword of Damocles hanging over the Templars since early fifth edition. Even if they had gotten their own codex with crusader horses, crusader missiles and crusader fists, they still would have lost vet skills and 2 heavy terminators squads. Vanguard vets do the same job as sword brother squad for a fraction of the price, and sternguard are a massive upgrade for shooty vets.

Felwether
12-09-2013, 12:11
My army is basically identical at 1000pts. I just got a few more points to spend on goodies.

UM Chapter Tactics are interesting but I think it'll take me a little while to really start getting the most out of them.

Polaria
12-09-2013, 12:29
In 5th edition codex my Raven Guard used Drop Pods and Scouts. In 6th edition codex my Raven Guard will use Rhinos and Tactical Squads. ;)

Well, really, I was actually using a highly mechanized list of Rhinos and Tactical Squads even in 5th edition codex, but now they got so much better I have absolutely no reason to use anything else... Which basically means the six Drop Pods I own are now shelved for everything except playing HH Legion lists.

MajorWesJanson
12-09-2013, 12:46
My chapter is an IH sucessor (which I plan to go with most the time) but I did often run Telion and Pedro, less often Khan, and had converted models to count as all the other special characters (except Vulkan, never got around to him)
That and the Drop pod drop to 10 men means my go-to of Pedro and 10 sternguard in a pod doesn't work anymore. Not trying to bandwagon, but I saw how fun an IH chaptermaster on a bike can be, though I plan to run him with the burning blade rather than the Relic shield and TH. And the LS scout becoming a dedicated transport means that my non-sniper scouts are getting dusted off, and I finally broke the shrink wrap on the storm I traded for a couple months back hoping it would become a DT.

Mage
12-09-2013, 14:30
I'm adding to my Iron Hands, but not because of rules, more because I want to add new stuff I like the look of. Incidental changes as opposed to meta.

Telemachus
12-09-2013, 14:44
The only difference for me at the moment is that I've added a Stalker as anti-air instead of an Aegis Defence Line. Whilst the Stalker may not appear to be that great, it fits in better with the feel of my army as it's mobile.

That, and I've now got lots of points to play with.

All in all, I'm really happy with the new Codex, will just have to wait and see how it pans out in a game.

lethlis
12-09-2013, 17:42
Devastator Centurions instead of my Predators for the time being.

Also way fewer combi weapons on my sternguard.

Aegius
12-09-2013, 17:54
I'm dropping sternguard in favour of devastators. My Devastators can sit at the back of the board while the rest of my army moves forward to open up some faces. I now have 2 lvl 2 librarians, hopefully one of them will roll gate of infinity, this guy will be with my devastators. Hmmm, Ultramarines devastator CT with a Gate of infinity devastator squad, yes please.

Inquisitor Kallus
12-09-2013, 18:04
The only difference for me at the moment is that I've added a Stalker as anti-air instead of an Aegis Defence Line. Whilst the Stalker may not appear to be that great, it fits in better with the feel of my army as it's mobile.

This is a good thing that came out of the dex

Angelwing
12-09-2013, 19:28
The only difference for me will be adding an item of wargear or whatnot to make up the points from anything that got cheaper if that.

Killgore
12-09-2013, 19:52
A unit of Sternguard for my Black Templars, pretty much business as usual.

madden
12-09-2013, 21:48
A new paint job on mine from iron lords (iron hand) to something imp fist as the IH tactic is nice but my army don't have any armour at all and is mostly tact squads and devs so the fists tatic fits better. As to models maybe some bikes as I've nothing in fast at all.

Latro_
12-09-2013, 22:46
Amry is more or less identical except instead of dark angles i'm using them as imperial fists... its great since i have loads of bolters..

Miredorf
13-09-2013, 02:21
Im going to play devastators more often now.. I always loved them but were too damn expensive. It helps too that i play IF successor.

Also happy that my full 10 man bike squad is cheaper now. And.. maybe i keep using Pedro, but i claimed hard for better generic ICs and finally can do some decent, even if expensive, generic characters through the relics.