PDA

View Full Version : No September WD evaluation yet

Tarax
10-09-2013, 10:12
Well, we finally have come to the point that we no longer have an evaluation thread on the latest issue of White Dwarf.
Has it gone so much downhill that it has become irrelevant?
And this months would feature Space Marines!

Not that I am interested, but it was always nice to read and may persuade me to buy it.

shelfunit.
10-09-2013, 10:31
When about the best thing people say about it is that they like the pictures, all of which can be accessed on the internet for free then there really seems little point in having a whole thread dedicated to it now.

lbecks
10-09-2013, 12:40
Coincidentally my WD subscription expired last month.

MiyamatoMusashi
10-09-2013, 13:15
My last four or five WD reviews have been basically the same. The pattern continues. If you want my review of September's WD, copy and paste what I wrote about August except replace "Lizardmen" with "Space Marines". IIRC no other changes are required, or only minor at most.

WD really has become that formulaic. It's a soulless, vacuous, tired, staid and predictable cookie-cutter cop-out. Read one issue and you know exactly what every other issue is like - of course, some might like that, there's no accounting for taste, to each his own; but it does make a review thread entirely pointless. There's just nothing more to say.

Foolish Mortal
10-09-2013, 13:16
Seems little point any more - it's just rinse & repeat month after month.

There is a thread over on Dakka that suggests that there is going to be a new Editor soon, and that Beth-Ann is leaving to, apparently.

lbecks
10-09-2013, 13:20
A new editor, a new chance for eavy metal masterclass.

MiyamatoMusashi
10-09-2013, 13:35
That's what we all hoped with the last new editor. And how the "new White Dwarf" would be a glorious ray of golden sunshine to brighten up the previously drab tedium. If anything it got worse.

I can't help but suspect that even the editor himself is beholden to his bosses. If they wanted EM Masterclasses in there (and other actual content) I think they would have told him he had to put it in. My guess is it's more likely to be the other way around - the pen-pushers and bean-counters have a definite vision of what they want WD to be, and they probably told him not to have that kind of stuff, it probably takes up too much of the EM team's time, or something. Given just how bad WD is, I find it hard to imagine many people on the WD team are happy or proud to be churning out such guff each month (I could be wrong, perhaps they are, but if so they clearly don't have much ambition in life) so I have to assume it is dictated to them from on high, where there might be the perspective that it doesn't have to be good, as long as it sells.

If there is to be a new editor, and if that editor decides to have a redesign, and if he is allowed to do so; then yeah, there may still be hope for WD. (We can be sure there's clearly no hope for improvement with the current arrangement, because they're not even trying to improve things - instead month after month is cut from the same tired template). But let's just say I won't hold my breath... precedent suggests nothing will change.

lbecks
10-09-2013, 13:45
I definitely think the higher ups dictate to WD what should be in the mag. Though I did love Latham/Latham and the painting high point of WD. And they were doing those EM Masterclasses with a 6 person painting team, which was really small. Now they have 10 painters and I think the newer guys have become very good.

Lord Damocles
10-09-2013, 19:34
A new editor
Again?

White Dwarf is a real meatgrinder...

cpl_hicks
10-09-2013, 19:42
This white dwarf does seem to be better than previous ones, it has some background on armour (not a lot and they don't use forge world armour variants), it also has points values for the battle report.

It's not as good as the old dwarfs, but it is putting more stuff in and seems to be answering some of the problems that critic's had

Wintermute
10-09-2013, 19:48
I definitely think the higher ups dictate to WD what should be in the mag.

I've been saying this for several years now, because it's true.

As to why there is no WD thread this month, I forgot to open one.

What I may do from next month is start an ongoing thread to combine all comments about WD.

​Wintermute

shelfunit.
10-09-2013, 19:58
What I may do from next month is start an ongoing thread to combine all comments about WD.

Don't we already have one? http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?23972-General-White-Dwarf-Feedback-Thread

Wintermute
10-09-2013, 21:23
Don't we already have one? http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?23972-General-White-Dwarf-Feedback-Thread

No, that's for general comments only. I'm proposing closing that thread and opening a new thread for all comments ie general comments and issue specific ones.

winterdyne
11-09-2013, 08:14
A new editor, a new chance for eavy metal masterclass.

Won't happen. People would pay for that in a book or standalone publication format. Expect iPad versions on a single mini for 7.99 or something stupid like that.

Tarax
11-09-2013, 10:15
As to why there is no WD thread this month, I forgot to open one.

Forgot or just couldn't be bothered. Looking at the other replies I can see that.

Looking forwards to the new thread.

Closing this one.