PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 38 Harlequins?

lonepilgrim
10-09-2013, 13:01
I'm looking for some advice and guidance.

First some history...

I was heavily into 40k since the Rogue Trader days and amassed a massive collection of models over the years. I stopped playing the game in 5th edition and I am now selling off most of my collection. I don't own 6th edition or any of the new codexes.

My nephew has started playing the game so I am keeping my blood angels and imperial guard as I understand there are now rules for allies. I have just found a haul of old school harlequin models I was collecting with the intention of starting an all harlequin army.

Here's what I have:

Great harlequin - power weapon
Solitaire - harlequins kiss, pistol
2x seers - power fist, hand flamer
2x death jester - shrunken cannon
Death jester - bright lance
2x harlequins - plasma pistol, harlequins kiss
10x harlequins - powers word, pistol
2x harlequins - chains word, pistol
3x harlequins - power axe, pistol
5x harlequins - 2 pistols
4x harlequins - harlequins kiss, pistol
5x harlequins - power fist, pistol
Ghost warrior

My question is - can I make an all harlequin army out of these models and ally it to my blood angels or imperial guard force? Or even play it as a stand alone army? I'm not interested in buying any more models or adding other Eldar models. I'm not bothered about it being competitive, just a legal playable army.

Or am I best off just selling them off?

Thanks for reading!

Hendarion
10-09-2013, 13:14
You can ally them by using the Solitaire as Eldar Autarch with Mantle, sword and pistol. The rest you can field as elite choices or counts as Storm Guardians. In the same way you can field them as regular Eldar. Without any "counts as" you will have troubles though as Harlequins currently are only elite choices and there's no "true" HQ for them. Like I said, an Autarch with right gear will fit the Solitaire perfectly. Death Jesters, Shadowseers and Great Harlequins are unit-upgrades.

duffybear1988
10-09-2013, 13:44
Put them all in a sock and take a swing at Phil Kelly? I'm sure I have 20 howling banshees that would like to join them in that action. :D Seriously though they aren't that great this edition.

Rated_lexxx
10-09-2013, 16:11
get 38 jokers?

Ba-Zing

DoctorTom
10-09-2013, 17:41
You could do a counts-as army. As Hendarion said, you could have the Solitaire (or maybe the Great Harlequin) be an Autarch with the right equipment (mantle, sword and pistol). the death jester models could be used with Dark Reaper rules (have the bright lance one be an Exarch). The harlies themselves could be storm guardians. If you wanted to use some as actual harlequins you'd want to make sure they different enough from the others on the board to be recognizable.

Your other option would be to have the Blood Angels or IG ally to the Eldar or Dark Eldar, while still doing some counts as. There at least you could field 3 units of Harlies, do what we suggested for the Autarch and Dark Reapers, and for troops you could get some jetbikes and paint them so that they look like harlequin jetbikes (since they used to have Harlie jetbikes). Get a Wraithlord and paint him like a Harlequin (this used to be fairly common - people used Harlie jetbike cowlings as a face for the Wraithlord) or do something similar with a Wraithknight to scare the bejeesus out of your opponents.

EDIT: Eldar with DE Allies would let you field 4 units of Harlequins. One would get to use the superior DE rules for the Shadowseer.

Carlosophy
10-09-2013, 19:06
Solitaire using the mantle of the laughing god, Harlequins as elites, jetbikes as troops and maybe a wraithlord for lulz.

iamtheeviltwin
10-09-2013, 20:09
Follow the link in my Sig. I am doing a C:Eldar army using my old RT-era Harlequins as "counts as". Plus it opens up some entertaining avenues for conversions of newer models.

OR - you could just give them to me...I will always take more to fill out the ranks of my Servants of the Laughing God. :D

*** - another option is to use a fandex (like this one (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?348789-Codex-Harlequins-for-6th-Edition)) to play a "true" Harlequin army.

DoctorTom
11-09-2013, 17:42
Follow the link in my Sig. I am doing a C:Eldar army using my old RT-era Harlequins as "counts as". Plus it opens up some entertaining avenues for conversions of newer models.

OR - you could just give them to me...I will always take more to fill out the ranks of my Servants of the Laughing God. :D

*** - another option is to use a fandex (like this one (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?348789-Codex-Harlequins-for-6th-Edition)) to play a "true" Harlequin army.

Or find the old 3rd/4th edition Harlequin codex from GW that they used to have online.

lonepilgrim
11-09-2013, 20:50
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Seems like the most straightforward solution is to buy some jet bikes to act as troops, but that still means a lot of 'counts as' choices. Not ideal.

I've heard that GW have released some extra army lists like Iyanden for Eldar. Any chance of a Harlequin list or am i crazy?

herohammer
12-09-2013, 08:28
Use the great harlequin as fuegan and the solitaire as asdrubael vect (have the real models sitting around so no one will be a dick) and run them in a max size unit of harlies with kisses, a dj (why not?), and a shadowseer (pick 1 or 2 more of them up). [deathstar party time]

Run 3 more units of harlequins between your eldar main force and dark eldar detachment. Buy a few boxes of bikes for scoring units.

All you need to buy are shadowseers and a few boxes of bikes. It wouldn't be a very powerful competitive force but god damn would it be awesome to see.

squeekenator
12-09-2013, 08:40
It's very unlikely that a harlequin supplement will be released. Supplements shuffle things around a little, add a few pieces of wargear, add in a couple of special rules. That works fine for Iyanden, Farsight and the Black Legion, because you could already make armies themed around those ideas; the supplements just make things run more smoothly and add a few extra options. Harlequins, on the other hand, consist of a single unit, and not even a Troops choice. Turning a single Elites choice into an entire army would require a full codex, not just a supplement.

dangerboyjim
12-09-2013, 10:21
I'd go counts as Dark Elder.

Run them as a wyche cult.

Freman Bloodglaive
12-09-2013, 10:33
Hold a Harlequin ball.

jakka
13-09-2013, 01:27
start a carnival

Dragannia
13-09-2013, 02:32
The last harlequin codex was an unofficial one from back in 3rd edition. Not ideal. Nothing exists so far for Harlies and they are unlikely to get a codex/supplement any time soon.

lonepilgrim
16-09-2013, 12:15
Well, what i'd really like is a proper all-Harlequin army list and it seems like i'm not going to get one any time soon, if ever. I think these models are going up for sale and i'll concentrate on my Blood Angels and Imperial Guard.

Thanks for all your ideas and opinions!

Deris87
16-09-2013, 23:27
I'd second the suggestion of a DE Wych cult--they can even taken Venoms which were originally Harlequin vehicles in fluff. You can take the normal Elite entry Harlequins, and an Archon could easily represent a Great Harlequin.

Nymie_the_Pooh
17-09-2013, 13:09
Your basic options are to proxy, build an Eldar or Dark Eldar army around the Harlequin, or track down a copy of the 3rd edition experimental rules Gav Thorpe wrote. They were originally in Citadel Journal #39 I believe. Games Workshop actually made a pdf copy available so there are digital copies floating around out there. I doubt many tournaments will let you run the list, and they are far from competitive in the current environment, but the rules are still vaguely compatible with the current system as the basics of the game are still the same as 3rd. The pdf should work just fine if you are only playing the list with your nephew or close friends.