PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Plumes

Lester
12-09-2013, 02:14
When do Space Marines use these?
I was thinking on getting some for putting them every Sergeant but I guess Jump Infantry wouldn't use these for practical reasons.

Fear Itself
12-09-2013, 02:54
Rule of cool > Practicality

Much like bat-wing helmets on Night Lords.

MajorWesJanson
12-09-2013, 04:08
Commanders, Sternguard Sergeants, Champions, Standard bearers, Honor Guard all seem like good places to put helmet plumes. Just wish there was more than one in a set, though getting one in the sternguard one, and a separate piece at that, was awesome. Now if they will just make a crosswise plume that is not part of the Sicarius or $30 captain kit...

Losing Command
12-09-2013, 04:58
Veteran sergeans, captains and honourguard seem to get the helmet plumes the most (I still think it is silly to walk around with a broomhead on your helmet:p)

Friedrich von Offenbach
12-09-2013, 05:16
During the great crusade and any marine in the 41st millennium cool enough to go look for an old helmet lying around in the chapters armoury. :D

MagicHat
12-09-2013, 10:36
Now if they will just make a crosswise plume that is not part of the Sicarius or $30 captain kit...

FW, to the rescue, not once (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Space_Marine_Legion_Army_List/Legion_Troops/Legion_Tactical_Squad/LEGION_MkIV_COMMAND_UPGRADE_SET.html), but twice (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Space_Marine_Legion_Army_List/Legion_Troops/Legion_Tactical_Squad/LEGION_MK_II_COMMAND_UPGRADE.html)!

Baaltor
12-09-2013, 20:07
I was thinking on getting some for putting them every Sergeant but I guess Jump Infantry wouldn't use these for practical reasons.

Plumes? I've never seen a space marine with feather on his head if that's what you meant. Plume means feather, like plumage. That said it'd be really cool, and they'res lots of cultural stuff you can import like Indian, American, and countless others. I don't know for sure if indians did that, but they have peacocks and other birds that would make them crazy not to.

If you meant those horsetail brushes romans wear, centurions?, it depends. A quick word from me would be a couple of guys in your army would be fine, or certain squads (your centurions lol), or maybe a certain mark of armour that always has that. You can ofcourse mass produce them and have it be your armies thing; some might say it takes away focus and makes everyone too important looking, but there's precendence for entire chapters doing that. The Emperor's Children legion wore purple and gold, the colour of Royalty.

Ssilmath
12-09-2013, 20:23

Well, a couple things. Historically, the Romans used longitudinal crests for normal troops and transverse crests for Centurions. So if you are going for a strong Roman theme, you would want your Captains and maybe Sergeants to have transverse Crests while normal troops have longitudinal. If you want just a bit of flavor, then perhaps longitudinal on Sergeants and transverse on Captains.

As for Jump Infantry not using them, remember that practicality means about nothing to Marines. If they are happy to stride into battle painted bright yellow, white or red, then I don't see them eschewing chapter ornamentation just because they've strapped on a jump pack.

Lord Damocles
12-09-2013, 20:32
Might be of interest. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?352887-Marines-and-their-plumes)

Inquisitor Engel
12-09-2013, 20:34
Much like bat-wing helmets on Night Lords.

ADB has said he envisioned Sevatar's helmet to be rather swept back and streamlined with the wings, rather than the wind-catchers GW produced almost 10 years ago. I hope Forge World follows this direction for things.

Latro_
12-09-2013, 22:44
any infantry model over 14pts :D

cswang
13-09-2013, 02:52
From a fluff perspective, you could stick them on whomever you wish and call it a reward for valor/some notable deed. Treat it as any Honor earned in battle. Then you could slap them on literally anybody with a helmet and if somebody asks it's "Oh, Brother So-and-So beat a Chaos champion in single combat, or vanquished a Tyranid Warrior, or [insert fanciful deed]."

The Black Shield
13-09-2013, 03:38
I just put them on whatever looks good.

Leftenant Gashrog
15-09-2013, 14:03
As for Jump Infantry not using them, remember that practicality means about nothing to Marines. If they are happy to stride into battle painted bright yellow, white or red, then I don't see them eschewing chapter ornamentation just because they've strapped on a jump pack.

Space Marines are prettyboys. They think nothing of striding into battle in bright yellow armour because it looks gooood. A jump pack would likely suck all the bristles out of the brush which would be unsightly and a serious fashion faux pas.

AndrewGPaul
16-09-2013, 09:54
From a fluff perspective, you could stick them on whomever you wish and call it a reward for valor/some notable deed. Treat it as any Honor earned in battle. Then you could slap them on literally anybody with a helmet and if somebody asks it's "Oh, Brother So-and-So beat a Chaos champion in single combat, or vanquished a Tyranid Warrior, or [insert fanciful deed]."

In fact, I'd go one further -add them to your models after they actually perform these mighty deeds in combat. That way, the battles you fight actually build the background of your army.

Konovalev
16-09-2013, 17:58
Space Marines are prettyboys. They think nothing of striding into battle in bright yellow armour because it looks gooood. A jump pack would likely suck all the bristles out of the brush which would be unsightly and a serious fashion faux pas.

I'm sure some techmarine has produced a power field to protect plumes, or perhaps constructs artificer plumes that are much more sturdy.

Mortimer
16-09-2013, 22:07
any infantry model over 14pts :D
Say 20pts so you catch the older codecii too..

but that is the jist of it.. Sargeants and above love to show off with a plume.