PDA

View Full Version : Three White Scars Questions

Angry Marine
12-09-2013, 21:05
Is there any resource with the Marks for all 10 Companies of the White Scars?

Second, GW paints White Scars as both White with light blue in the crevices and White with brown in the crevices. Which is more "accurate"? I'm aware that this is pretty much entirely subjective...

Lastly, how fluffy are Centurions in a White Scars army? I got a box because I'm in the minority that like them. Dreadnoughts where at first absent from White Scars fluff because they loathe sticking a battle brother bear his death to the Sarcophagus, but the new Codex now says they are just rare for that very reason and are used only when the need merits them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 4

Ssilmath
12-09-2013, 21:19
First question, no idea. Probably an old Index Astartes, or possibly the "How to paint Space Marines" book.

Second question, entirely up to the painter. Light blue looks cleaner, brown looks grittier. I use light grey for my Eagle Warriors white sides.

Third question: Remember that the fluff descriptions do not encompass the entirety of how the army operates. No matter their chapter or tendencies, Space Marines are pushed into all sorts of missions that they need to accomplish. They also all have extensive armories, and will use what is best for the situation if they can. While White Scars may prefer to ride bikes or Rhinos into battle on open plains, they are sometimes required to fight in sieges, defensive actions or trench warfare. Considering the heavy firepower that can be brought to bear by Centurions, it makes perfect sense for a squad to be kept on standby and inserted onto the battlefield when and where they can do the most good. They don't even need a transport bought for them, they could have been hot dropped moments before the first turn.

Latro_
12-09-2013, 22:42
Pretty sure in the olde index astartes article years ago they did not have devi squads or dreadnoughts... like at all.
I expect centurions would further go against their style, so no its not technically fluffy but its your army :D

I'v only ever seen the red trim on shoulder pads... lets face it you never see the coloured company colours these days in 'any' marine army so the red how everyone does them is prob the best bet. They are pretty tribal so i'd just go wild with the other marks, eahc marine'd prob hav his own clan etc...

Baaltor
13-09-2013, 00:14
Is there any resource with the Marks for all 10 Companies of the White Scars?

Second, GW paints White Scars as both White with light blue in the crevices and White with brown in the crevices. Which is more "accurate"? I'm aware that this is pretty much entirely subjective...

Lastly, how fluffy are Centurions in a White Scars army? I got a box because I'm in the minority that like them. Dreadnoughts where at first absent from White Scars fluff because they loathe sticking a battle brother bear his death to the Sarcophagus, but the new Codex now says they are just rare for that very reason and are used only when the need merits them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 4

Accurate colours? Both are valid in equal amounts, it depends on what your army to look, and feel like. Blue is a lot more angelic, and clean; kinda hard to paint but still. Brown is more realism, and enough brown is filthy, and makes the army look in the thick of it, or brutal.

Angry Marine
15-09-2013, 05:15
Pretty sure in the olde index astartes article years ago they did not have devi squads or dreadnoughts... like at all.
I expect centurions would further go against their style, so no its not technically fluffy but its your army :D

I'v only ever seen the red trim on shoulder pads... lets face it you never see the coloured company colours these days in 'any' marine army so the red how everyone does them is prob the best bet. They are pretty tribal so i'd just go wild with the other marks, eahc marine'd prob hav his own clan etc...

Well the new Codex in the fluff section of the White Scars they show a White Scars Devastator.

Gorbad Ironclaw
15-09-2013, 05:35
Lastly, how fluffy are Centurions in a White Scars army?

Anything in the codex is fluffy. Marines do everything, they are less of an army and more of a special forces segment so they will do whatever they need to do with whatever tools are best suited, its just that some of them prefer to operate in certain ways (and more importantly, GW need to create separate identities for them, even when it makes no sense). So really, when it comes to build a marine army (or pretty much any GW army) nothing is really more fluffy than anything else as everything would be found in their armoury/force structure and used when the situation called for it.

Leftenant Gashrog
15-09-2013, 13:46
The no Devastator thing never made any sense to me. White Scars have no dedicated bike squad marking, they wear Assault and Tactical markings suggesting that they follow the standard marine doctrine of having Assault and/or Tactical squads deploy on bikes where suitable. Yet the White Scars IA article DID have a specific marking for Attack Bike crews.. which just so happened to be a codex approved variation on the Devastator squad marking o.O It would make more sense to HAVE Devastator squads and have them bike up as Attack Bike squads when the Tac & Assault bike up as regular bike squads. And thats without getting into the SPEEDFREEK vs Mongol issue: White Scars don't have devs coz deyr SPEEDFREEKSZ, and no devs = 80 men per company, whilst Ghengis Khan organised the Mongol army in a decimanl system: 10 men in an Arban, 10 Arbans in a Zuut.

White Scars didn't use Dreadnoughts not for the slowness but for their religious abhorence for the living death. They DO use Terminator armour where necessary, so I figure Centurions should be okay.

Angry Marine
15-09-2013, 13:58
The no Devastator thing never made any sense to me. White Scars have no dedicated bike squad marking, they wear Assault and Tactical markings suggesting that they follow the standard marine doctrine of having Assault and/or Tactical squads deploy on bikes where suitable. Yet the White Scars IA article DID have a specific marking for Attack Bike crews.. which just so happened to be a codex approved variation on the Devastator squad marking o.O It would make more sense to HAVE Devastator squads and have them bike up as Attack Bike squads when the Tac & Assault bike up as regular bike squads. And thats without getting into the SPEEDFREEK vs Mongol issue: White Scars don't have devs coz deyr SPEEDFREEKSZ, and no devs = 80 men per company, whilst Ghengis Khan organised the Mongol army in a decimanl system: 10 men in an Arban, 10 Arbans in a Zuut.

White Scars didn't use Dreadnoughts not for the slowness but for their religious abhorence for the living death. They DO use Terminator armour where necessary, so I figure Centurions should be okay.
This is the Devastator shown in the Codex:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/y7eguzy2.jpg

The Marshel
15-09-2013, 14:14

From the last codex, the primach "once taught" that speed is worthless if the blow it delivers is robbed of strength. The white scars are most well known for their hit and run, rapid deployment, bike favouring style, but at the end of the day they are a codex chapter, and they are space marines, who are expected to be adaptable to a huge range of combat situations, many of which will not favour fast paced hit and run tactics. The white scars will be perfectly capable of fielding devastators, thunderfire cannons, dreads, centurions etc etc just as well as any other chapter, they'd just rather use their bikes if they can make it work.

either way, these less mobile elements can have an important role to play in a hit and run style of warfare. a firebase is always welcome after all, and you can't hold an objective whilst using hit and run tactics. sturdy units can also act as an anvil to the faster unit's hammer. there is plenty of room for slow units in the white scars army. They just don't favour them as much as their fast units.

It's similar to how salamanders still use non fire based weaponry despite the clear abundance of flamer/melta weapons, or how the crimson fist are most well known for being a depleted chapter with only a few veterans remaining despite having a far greater history as a full strength crusading chapter. The chapters represented in C:SM all follow the codex astartes and are all capable of the various styles of warfare used by most every chapter. The background simply shows us where they excel, not what they exclude

Mandragola
15-09-2013, 15:45
Centurions seem to be temporary armour put on for special circumstances, rather than a permanent "career". As such it's probably reasonable for marines from any chapter to use them, other than the ones who arbitrarily don't have them because their codex was published in the past.