PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian lance formation in subsequent rounds of combat.

Manflayer
14-09-2013, 14:23
Hi all,

I've been reading over the Brettonian FAQ and the army book but i'm not sure how to interpret the rule regarding lance formation in subsequent rounds. Below are some examples, but which is the correct way to resolve a lance formation in close combat after the first round?

1. The lance charges, enemy hold from the charge. Next turn all the knights from both flanks and the second model in the second rank can attack.
2. The lance charges, enemy hold from the charge. Next turn only the knights in the second rank get to attack because it's not the first turn of charging and leads to only supporting attacks being made from knights in the second rank.
3. Another possible outcome?

I'm not sure if the second round and there after allows all the knights to attack from the flanks (and second rank) or not, just wondering if someone else could help to shed some light on this scenario.

Thanks for any insight!

Blinder
14-09-2013, 17:27
2 is correct- you only get the full outer files on the charge, afterwards it is just the regular front rank + supporting attacks. Do note that on the charge all of the horses on the side also get to bite (and that they *don't* get to make supporting attacks), that can be the depressingly common line between a tie or a win...

If you want more attacks in later rounds you have to reform, but remember that this not only potentially removes CR from ranks (9 knights have +2 in lance formation, *0* otherwise) but also can let more models hit you back (so, generally you'd only want to let grail and possibly questing knights "pancake" because they still have decent attacks when not charging).

Ramius4
14-09-2013, 17:54
If you want more attacks in later rounds you have to reform, but remember that this not only potentially removes CR from ranks (9 knights have +2 in lance formation, *0* otherwise) but also can let more models hit you back (so, generally you'd only want to let grail and possibly questing knights "pancake" because they still have decent attacks when not charging).

The only other thing I'd add to this is that 'pancaking' your knights is situational at times. So just be sure you think through what the consequences are for doing it before you make the decision.