PDA

View Full Version : Charging and wheeling ...

Lorcryst
15-09-2013, 19:58
I've forgotten my rule book at my friend's place after our game today, but we had a wierd question :

You have to make a wheel to maximize base contact when you resolve a charge and the dice decide you are in range. That is not the question :p

*WHEN* during your charge move do you make said wheel ?

The diagrams in the rulebook (the page number escapes me) are quite clear (for once) and it looks like you must do the "maximizing wheel" at the start of your charge move, with a second, "free" wheel and the end of the movement, when you are in base contact, to "close the door".

I used the search function here, re-read all the FAQs, trawled a couple of other message boards, but apparently it's so obvious that nobody thought to ask that question ...

I honestly thought that you could do your "maximizing wheel" at any time during your charge move, but now I'm confused ...

During our game we played it "at the start of the move", and it didn't really change anything to the charge of my Plaguebearers against Chaos Warriors (I was at a slight angle with a bit of impassable terrain to my side, but the wheel at the start of my move allowed me to clear the terrain and align straigth up five vs five), and I even won the combat (lucky challenge that I won, lots of unsaved poisonned wounds, Razor Standard on my BSB carried the day), but now that I'm out of the heat of the action, I'm pondering if we did it right ...

Ramius4
15-09-2013, 19:59
At any point during the charge move. Beginning, middle, or end. But you can only do one wheel, and it can't be more than 90 degrees. Hope that helps!

PS. 'closing the door' is a different thing entirely, and has no bearing on a wheel made during the charge.

Lorcryst
15-09-2013, 20:16
At any point during the charge move. Beginning, middle, or end. But you can only do one wheel, and it can't be more than 90 degrees. Hope that helps!

PS. 'closing the door' is a different thing entirely, and has no bearing on a wheel made during the charge.

Thanks, that's what I thought too, but I cannot find a page reference for that, nor a line in an FAQ ... and I would like to be "dead sure" of that :p

Yeah, "closing the door" is a free, out of sequence movement only used to tidy up the battle lines.

Mr_Rose
15-09-2013, 20:18
The diagrams are compressed for space and, as examples, don't tell you when you must do anything, only when you can. The rules text is quite clear that the alignment wheel can be at any point during the move (which just happens to include at the beginning).
The reference is BRB p.20, "Moving Chargers" 3rd paragraph. "…during this move…"