PDA

View Full Version : Bought some fake forgeworld

laughablehat
18-09-2013, 21:28
Hey, the other day i purchased a dragon locally through kijiji. Met up with the guy and he ended up being someone i used to see around the local GW store. I got an alright deal, but when i met up it was in a ziploc and with no instructions which had me think. But seeing as they are people i kind of know i trusted them and seen that all of the parts where there. Upon getting home i had a closer look at the contents and the plastic components had no marks where the sprues would be and there are tabs on the end where the piece would join with another, same with the resin parts. Then i decided to take a look online to see where the tabs/sprue connections would be and compared to what i have. Now im second guessing myself saying "maybe this batch from FW was different?", but the more and more i stare at the components the more i do believe it isnt genuine.

So now.. what should i do? Or, what could i do..

DarKolia
18-09-2013, 22:40
I have just had canceled several buys on eBay from a Spanish guy who has seemed to sell fake FW and GW stuff imported from china...
Are they really counterfeit or just coming from the same plant that GW use, that I do not know...
But it seems to be more and more common...
Do someone know if FW produce its stuff in china?
DarK

SteveW
18-09-2013, 22:44
Do you like the dragon? Did you get a good deal?

Da Roc
18-09-2013, 22:53
I have bought quite a few FW items coming from China/Russia, there is no real big problem, and some are even better than FW quality. Cons: tau knarloc tail snipped off and I had to green stuff and sculpt a bit, IG thunderbolt have some large seams to be filled, though FW may have that problem too; no instruction so I had to look up FW images or on google; Ork nob bikers need to be cleaned to fit well together; Pros: IG hydra AA barrels are straight like its plastic, FW would of been all warped; much cheaper price for items that once professionally assembled and painted, there would be no difference.

Fizzy
18-09-2013, 23:03
I dont see the problem? Is the quality good? Is it complete/nothing broken?

And you got a good deal. Just keep it. Paint it and enjoy it.

I have gotten a few fakes through the years of collecting. Some were really good and some were crappy. The truth is that you rarely know if they are fake or not when buying from a normal civilan.

Dark Aly
20-09-2013, 15:59
Not forgeworld but I suspect one of my ambulls and 3 ripperjacks to be recasts.

GlenMorray
20-09-2013, 16:18
Morally obviously it's wrong but I'm really sure you don't give a flying s**t.

Id also say Pictures or it didnt happen...

theunwantedbeing
20-09-2013, 16:22
So now.. what should i do?
Really you need to get in contact with the GW legal team and inform them of your friend and his activities in re-casting their product.
That and make sure you tell nobody of this guy and don't allow him to make money off illegal transactions as best you can.

Or, what could i do..
Whatever you want really.
You got your cheap Forgeworld stuff.

semperfi
20-09-2013, 16:49
ive seen quite a few fake forgeworld items crossing my desk lately and have to say except for a few minor thing you can expect from resin casting it all looks good. hell i even mailed one of the known recasters for a commander farsight sword (mine was crappy and after 5 replacements i grey tired of GW) and het send me one for 0,00

so yeagh if its a good deal and the model looks fine , dont complain ;)

RanaldLoec
21-09-2013, 00:21
ive seen quite a few fake forgeworld items crossing my desk lately and have to say except for a few minor thing you can expect from resin casting it all looks good. hell i even mailed one of the known recasters for a commander farsight sword (mine was crappy and after 5 replacements i grey tired of GW) and het send me one for 0,00

so yeagh if its a good deal and the model looks fine , dont complain ;)

Re-casts I find lack the detail and have more issues.

The fake forgeworld and finecast models I've seen that have come from China the quality when assembled next to a forgeworld genuine item is in distinguishable.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

herohammer
21-09-2013, 04:49
The quality of some of the fake finecast models is actually better than GW stuff. I think they are making the molds off of the masters that the legit molds are made off of instead of just doing old fashioned recasting.

m1acca1551
21-09-2013, 04:59
Well you can do what you want, you have plenty of options ranging from buying more, too contacting FW legal, or you can simply go I bought one I will use it, paint it etc but will not purchase anything else :)

Gillburg
24-09-2013, 04:57
I bought a couple things from ebay that didn't come in real forgeworld packets but they were amazing casts.

Mercutius
24-09-2013, 06:39
I don't like people who by fake FW stuff.

It's just wrong. And there is nothing more to say about that.

Jossy
24-09-2013, 11:00
The quality of some of the fake finecast models is actually better than GW stuff. I think they are making the molds off of the masters that the legit molds are made off of instead of just doing old fashioned recasting.

This is an impossible statement. How can a recast be better than the original? You need the original to make the recast, and by proxy, the recast is an exact or inferior of the original...
How could these recasters possibly get hold of the masters master/moulds...

FYI ALL genuine Forgeworld is cast by Forgeworld in Nottingham

Grammaticus Bane
24-09-2013, 16:24
The "recast" is usually the cast-er getting ahold of the original molds, as far as I understand.

I hear mixed reviews on the China fakes. I don't like them, but sometimes I just scratch my head at GW's pricing.

Twin-linked Paintbrush
24-09-2013, 16:59
I've painted most of a CD army using resin from both Forge world and a Forgery World. The Forgery world stuff was better or the same quality in every case. Some of the FW parts were miscast though and clearly weren't inspected before being sent out.

Bloodknight
24-09-2013, 18:15
FYI ALL genuine Forgeworld is cast by Forgeworld in Nottingham

Actually they had a facility in Shanghai until about recently. I got FW stuff (2 Chaplain dreads) that I ordered from FW in ziplocks, one labeled as Made in the UK and one Made in China.
Wouldn't be too confusing if a couple masters found their way into the wild in China. This would also kind of explain why they shut down the Shanghai facility again, Chinese factories often moonlight producing knockoffs on the original machinery that the real stuff is made on. Also, the Chinese cast was better than the UK cast.

and by proxy, the recast is an exact or inferior of the original...

Yes and no. If you get a relatively shoddily cast model, clean it, fill the holes and such and make a recast of the fixed model with high casting quality, it might just be better than the original.