PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts - White king idea...

Azmodian
19-09-2013, 18:22
My brother has played on and off VC for years.. I have never played them seriously. Local tournament is coming up and I'm thinking of taking them out for a spin... Started going over the army list and had a silly idea... I mostly want to try this for the look of my opponents face as well as to see if it would work.

The Idea. - game is 3k points this is a rough draft list so don't hold me to % yet...

Master Necro - level 3
Master Necro - level 3 (dispel scroll)

5 Wight kings (naked)

6 units of 20 zombies

40 ish Ghouls

Corps cart (one or 2 of them)

45 Grave Guard (full command - banner of the barrows)

5 Blood knights

5 Blood knights

Mortise engine

The Plan...

2 master necros, 5 wights in the unit of grave guard, running 5/10ish. Here is the sneaky part... with the unit command and make way I will be able to cycle the wight kings around when they get wounded enough to risk death (unless they are insta gibed)

run the 6 zombies on the flank in conga formation and just grow them with the master necros
mortise and corpse cart protected by said conga lines.

Blood knights for flanks...

Again this is just an Idea, what do you think? would the tactic work (al comers list). Am I interpreting the rules wrong? - make way - and anything you would care to add.

BattleofLund
19-09-2013, 18:59
If I had more of a comedic talent, there would be a pun here about White Kings getting in the Pink from enduring Blood Nights. But I don't, so there isn't.

badguyshaveallthefun
20-09-2013, 01:57
Once a model is engaged in combat it's not allowed to leave, so I don't see the idea of being able to shuffle around wounded Wight kings working, unless it's to a different part of an existing combat, perhaps not in base combat with an enemy character or something.

Azmodian
20-09-2013, 03:57
Moving to the second rank still has the model engaged in combat (supporting attacks)

Lord Solar Plexus
20-09-2013, 06:07
Your character cannot move at all, not to the left, not to the right, not to a different rank or combat. There's no rule that allows this.

Azmodian
21-09-2013, 03:22
Your character cannot move at all, not to the left, not to the right, not to a different rank or combat. There's no rule that allows this.

I've seen plenty of games where ogre's have used this... do they have a special army book rule?

Wesser
21-09-2013, 07:29
I've seen plenty of games where ogre's have used this... do they have a special army book rule?

Ogres leapfrogs back and forth their characters in this ridiculous manner and it is their standard beardy tactic. They can bounce their characters into the first rank at will (and lets hope 9th will put this tactic in its grave), but once a character is engaged he cant move and is essentially pinned until he either is not in base contact with an enemy or is in a challenge

datalink7
21-09-2013, 16:53

If you've seen this then you've seen cheating. You can move from the back to the front, but once you are in the front and engaged you can't move.

bigbiggles
24-09-2013, 10:17
You can't make way out of b2b contact. You can combat reform a wounded guy to the outer edge, as long as he still is in base contact

badguyshaveallthefun
25-09-2013, 06:53
You can't make way out of b2b contact. You can combat reform a wounded guy to the outer edge, as long as he still is in base contact

This sums it up well, with one exception; once you're in b2b with an enemy, you're always going to be in b2b, but you can juggle around, so long as you remain in b2b with the same number of/more enemies than you were previously.

And yes, the ogre player was cheating, you can't move wounded characters to the back rank.

Wesser
25-09-2013, 09:00

Nooooope

Once in BtB with an enemy a character or champion is effectively pinned until he is no longer engaged. Only "exception" to this is accepting a challenge.

Lets say that I got a unit of Beasts of Nurgle and one of daemonettes attacking a blender lord's unit. Lets say the beasts charge the front and engages the blender, and the daemonettes charges the unit's flank.

Now our friend the blender may wish to shuffle over and kill daemonettes, but once in combat he is NOT allowed to move.. AT ALL. Not to a flank, not to an edge. Nowhere

Azmodian
25-09-2013, 12:35
Thanks for clearing this all up. The Ogre player was cheating... so that is cleared up.

However 5 weight kings in the front of a GG unit is still a nice little powerhouse (3 wounds each, high T and with AHW that can pack a large punch) and you can hide a master Necro (or 2) in the back rank to keep them safe. I'm going to try this in a friendly game. I'll let you know how well it worked, or if it was just plane silly.

Wesser
25-09-2013, 13:19
Don't hide your characters like you're some sort of sissy ogre!

It's basically the beardiest thing in warhammer.

Aside from that it's an expensive as hell unit you got there. Maybe do a mounted unit instead? Even more expensive, but more durable and with that pricetag you wanna get into combat. In any case the trouble is that if you want the Banner of Barrows you'll have to push a wight king to a back rank...something to consider