PDA

View Full Version : Interest in the new Dark Elves

Dooks Dizzo
21-09-2013, 15:55
There seems ot be a lot of excitement around the new Dark Elves release. Kind of wondering what that looks like percentage wise of Fantasy players on these boards.

If I forgot an option please explain in your reply.

I know some won't be able to reply because their decision won't be made until they've read the book. I didn't put a time limit on the poll, so waiting to answer until you've read the book is no problem!

Also Fun Fact: Did you know that Druchii is pronounced Drew-kai?

Soundwave
21-09-2013, 17:17
I will be adding to my existing army.Dark Elves are the main reason i started to collect and then game.Now i will continue the onslaught of all the races of the warhammer world with truckloads of fantastic minis at my disposal.

Knifeparty
21-09-2013, 17:23
I second this. ^

Soundwave
21-09-2013, 17:39
I second this. ^

Indeed i know the Dark Elves are going to hit a massive nerf block but i can not wait!!! If they can keep thier basic game mechanics of speed and destruction then all is well.;)

Coldhatred
21-09-2013, 20:01
I voted starting a new army. I'm currently building up a High Elves army, but after they are where I want them for a space I'll start up Dark Elves.

Coldblood666
21-09-2013, 20:07
I voted starting a new army. I'm currently building up a High Elves army, but after they are where I want them for a space I'll start up Dark Elves.
This for me too. Im sure all elf races will have the best looking miniatures in Warhammer.

librerian_samae
21-09-2013, 20:56
I shall be adding to my black arc force in the near future, I hope.

Wesser
21-09-2013, 21:12
The local HE player and I have bought champagne glasses.

Once our De player realise that Dark Elves will no longer cost the same as state troops, that dumm magic itesm won't be there anymore and that DE monsters really don't get hatred anymore we shall fill our glasses with his tears... oh and sayong consoling Words such as "well at least that Scourgerunner is awfully pretty..."

Thats the plan anyway

sulla
22-09-2013, 02:28

Once our De player realise that Dark Elves will no longer cost the same as state troops, that dumm magic itesm won't be there anymore and that DE monsters really don't get hatred anymore we shall fill our glasses with his tears... oh and sayong consoling Words such as "well at least that Scourgerunner is awfully pretty..."

Thats the plan anyway:) On the other hand, with 2 rare/special monsters in the list, DE will finally be able to ply monster mash properly and perhaps manticores will get cheaper too. 4-6 monsters will be hard for even 3 cannons and a steamtank to deal with

Yes, the infantry will get more expensive, but with all the tough MC, core WoC chariots and VC blenderlords out there, infantry is not really the way forward for elves, anyway, so this won't be a big loss for them.

I predict far, far less infantry on the board for all elven armies this edition. We had our day in the sun with great infantry in 7th/8th. Now it's back to the old days of having min footsloggers and playing hit and run. No biggie; we've done it before.

Well, unless the wishlisters are right and DE get ASF. Then it will still be min footsloggers, except executioners will be seen in every list, either as medium sized suicide units or as big blobs/deathstars depending on who can join them...

Drasanil
22-09-2013, 02:34
I predict far, far less infantry on the board for all elven armies this edition.

Hofflenosh! If the rumoured new warriors are true and half as awesome as they sound I will revive my dream of making a massive core-heavy dark elf army. Just rank after rank of spears and crossbows, with a few elites for flavour.

SteveW
22-09-2013, 03:02
I will buy the cards.

Da Roc
22-09-2013, 03:02
Also Fun Fact: Did you know that Druchii is pronounced Drew-kai?
Where did you get that from?

sulla
22-09-2013, 03:54
Hofflenosh! If the rumoured new warriors are true and half as awesome as they sound I will revive my dream of making a massive core-heavy dark elf army. Just rank after rank of spears and crossbows, with a few elites for flavour.Oh, I'll buy plenty of the new infantry models. But like many, I'll get them wiped off the table for a few games by s5 templates and 1+ save MC and I'll be relegating them to the shelf like 6th.

Dooks Dizzo
22-09-2013, 04:14
Where did you get that from?

I have a buddy who's wife is an english teacher. She said that is the most likely pronunciation :)

Also I recommend saving some room in that champagne glasses for your own tears my man.

Grimdark83
22-09-2013, 04:20

Thats the plan anyway

We cant all play armies that are propped up by rules like ASF and martial prowess and overpowered items like BOTWD

Azazyll
22-09-2013, 04:48
I have a buddy who's wife is an english teacher. She said that is the most likely pronunciation :)

Also I recommend saving some room in that champagne glasses for your own tears my man.

That would imply that the pronunciation of transliterated Elvish works along norms existing for other languages. I'll wait until I hear the GW design staff say it. Still can remember when I first heard them say Commorragh and realized that of course it was meant to sound like Gomorrah.

We cant all play armies that are propped up by rules like ASF and martial prowess and overpowered items like BOTWD

Well, we could. It would be pretty boring though.

Da Roc
22-09-2013, 06:32

I thought maybe you found some fluff that backed it up in the GW novels. I've always used and heard people say dru-chi that's all.

Wesser
22-09-2013, 08:09

I doubt it. My issue with DE mostly stems from the problem that my State Troops tends to stare across an equal number of DE Warriors who are vastly superior. DE can get all the toys they want as long as that particular trend goes

lilloser2010
22-09-2013, 11:09
I'm really excited for the new core. I was so dissatisfied with the current plastics I had to sculpt my own:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?275392-The-Disgraced-amp-Dethroned-A-Dark-Elf-Chaos-amp-General-Warhammer-log-by-lilloser&p=6170844&viewfull=1#post6170844

After getting through 25 mail skirts I couldn't face doing the same with 20 more crossbows.

I'll be buying most every kit. Cauldrons, Executioners and witch elves are music to my ears. I'm really excited to see the scourge runner. Unlike other new releases the scourgerunner concept sounds promising.

TheDungen
22-09-2013, 11:12
you forgot the "I'm intrested in this release but can't afford to do anything about it" option. Anyway If it's nice I may add more dark elf parts to my nagarythe army. in the unlikely scenario that they ditch the "for evulz!" and chronic backstabbing disorder fluff and make them a believable martial empire based on slave labour I may even start an army.

I thought maybe you found some fluff that backed it up in the GW novels. I've always used and heard people say dru-chi that's all.

I've always proncouned it dru-tchi (I don't really pronounce a t i just add it to show I make a whiplash sound in the chi) sounds more menecing that way. as oposed to a soft dru-chie.

Sheena Easton
22-09-2013, 11:41
Depending on the models I might finally start a small Dark Elf force

anselminus
22-09-2013, 17:16
I would say that I am interested but I ask to see the sculpture of minitures, so i vote i plan to buy the book only, but if they are so cool as dark eldar i can start an army :D

Shadeseraph
22-09-2013, 17:48

Instead you could play armies that are propped up by unappropiately prized units for what they do and overpowered items like PoK or DoS, right? :D

On topic: No interest myself. However, a friend is taking Dark Elves up, and I need to check what they can do.

in the unlikely scenario that they ditch the "for evulz!" and chronic backstabbing disorder fluff and make them a believable martial empire based on slave labour I may even start an army.

Agreed. Can't get over the fact they are too much like the RPG newbie that picks a chaotic evil character and backstabs everyone else in the party for the lulz or steals all the items for himself. They have potential, but, for me, not like this.

SeBM
22-09-2013, 18:04
Also forgot the I'm really excited to see new models and new armies but I'm not playing them option. I'm always happy about new armies, because it makes the people I play with happy and it makes our games more fun.

Thorin
22-09-2013, 18:06
Simply for fluff reasons I will most likely buy the book and maybe one or two boxes of spearelves and some Black Guard or Executioners. (On a side note, how many points would this +10 corsairs and a sorceress be? ;) )

So well, generally yeah, I'll start a new army/collection if the models are as amazing as the other newer DE ones (I'm looking at you, plastic sorceress...)

Morkash
22-09-2013, 18:21
Nothing settled yet because of no pictures, but consider me mightily interested - new core warriors + pretty corsairs and possibly even dark riders could make for a beautiful army. Therefore I voted new army, although nothing is settled yet! Money hopefully will play a "No, Morkash!" factor as could the mountain of unpainted stuff, but I tend to ignore banalities like reason.

Soulless
22-09-2013, 18:23
20 band wagon boys ... Hauclir - test those dogs ...

Rakariel
22-09-2013, 19:32
Adding to an already pretty big army. DE are my foremost WHFB army and they will pretty much always be (Dwarfs nearly being equal, but only nearly ;)). Put simply, I will be broke when the new DE come out. Already bought a Merwyrm aswell to be painted up as Pagowyrm for some SoM battles. Or what ya say Morkash? ;)

Commissar Goddard
22-09-2013, 19:52
I voted starting a new army, had to part with my Druchii a few years ago. So this gives me the perfect opportunity for the Noble house of the Black Rose to return to glory.

Dooks Dizzo
22-09-2013, 20:17
Hauclir - test those dogs ...

Wow...that is my favorite quote in a long long time.

I had to vote starting a new army because I ditched all my old models a year or so ago and now get to start over from the beginning with all new stuff.

All new except for my Malus Darkblade conversion which is the only model I kept!

Doomseer
22-09-2013, 20:18
I'll definitely be adding to my Druchii, I've been playing them a looooong time and looking forward to them being rebalanced. I haven't played a game with mine for quite some time due to people whinging about how broken they are. It wasn't long before that when everyone wanted to play against them as it was often an easy win! :D

Ullis
22-09-2013, 21:04
Although they are not a race that I would play myself, I do like to pick up the books of most armies (or at least the "classic" races).

Scythe
23-09-2013, 08:21
I'll pick up at least the book and the cards for my existing army. The rest... depends on two factors, probably. First the quality of the models; I'm a big fan of the 6th edition metals, and less of the 7th edition Dark Elf direction (I prefer the metal corsairs over the plastic ones, for example), so it will be interesting to see if the plastic replacements can match the quality of the metal Black Guard and Executioners, for example. Second is pricing. Elite infantry is truly so expensive for warhammer lately, that I'll thin twice about buying a single box where previously I would have dropped enough money for a horde of 30 without second thought. So, I'll wait, for now. If the models are nice, and the price isn't too bad, I might pick up one or two boxes with the release, and possibly a little more over the months after that, if the book is nice enough. If not, I'm quite happy with my existing Dark Elf army.

nosebiter
23-09-2013, 08:30
Ill be buying the book, as i love evil elvesess, and some witch elves and the blood throne for painting.

No warhammer armies for me untill we get a 9th edition.

SpanielBear
23-09-2013, 13:35
I have plans to start a Dark Eldar army next month. Dark elf kits for glorious kit-bashy goodness, yes please!

MarcoPollo
23-09-2013, 16:45
I'll probably just buy the book. But since I am on army builder, I might not buy anything. Then again, I'll need to see which units get the nerf and which ones get the buff. And then add some unit to the 4000 points that I already have. I might have to re-work some units that I already have. Hello eBay.

arthurfallz
24-09-2013, 18:06
I traded away my Dark Elves in the spring (for a 40k Ork army). If I still had them, I would be bouncing up and down in excitement. At the moment, I just shrug. It will mean facing my brother (who I traded the elves to) will get a lot more interesting.

IcedCrow
24-09-2013, 18:12
I was going to do a new dark elf army until i saw the new prices. A 2000 point list will run over $1000 retail. Ill stick with the book.

loveless
24-09-2013, 20:50
Minis look lovely and I've always adored the playstyle and background.

Sadly, the prices are too high. Put me in the "Would buy a new army if I could get it cheaper or had a ridiculous windfall".

colonel kane trine
25-09-2013, 01:43
I left fantasy a while ago to dedicate my time to 40k but i always said to myself "maybe il start again when dark elves get redone"
So yeh starting fantasy again with dark elves

Odin
25-09-2013, 01:47
I'm likely to get a couple of witch elves to convert for Blood Bowl. That's it really, I don't have a DE army, and though I'm tempted I can't afford the time or money.

Ramius4
25-09-2013, 01:56
Interested? Yes. Can I afford to pay these prices? Yes. Will I pay them? Absolutely not.

It's pretty sad really, since I think the Witch Elves/Sisters are pretty amazing. Warriors are solid, Shadowblade looks good, Kharbidyss looks good and the Cauldron is ok enough to buy.

bigbiggles
25-09-2013, 18:58
The new models are nice, not impressed enough to buy them though. Especially not at those prices

IcedCrow
25-09-2013, 22:43
Well per BOLS, Mat Ward wrote the list. And witch elves are now core and cheap. Well played GW stock holders well played. At $6 a pop and written by the man that is notorious for breaking things, I assume the witch elves are now must haves and as cheap as they are can be comfortably fielded in units of 30-40... you'd need 3-4 boxes ($180 - $240).

Karak Norn Clansman
25-09-2013, 22:47
I might buy a box of infantry and build all three infantry variants just because they look so good, but it's in no hurry. Otherwise I don't plan to start a Dark Elf force.

dhallnet
25-09-2013, 23:12
Well per BOLS, Mat Ward wrote the list. And witch elves are now core and cheap. Well played GW stock holders well played. At $6 a pop and written by the man that is notorious for breaking things, I assume the witch elves are now must haves and as cheap as they are can be comfortably fielded in units of 30-40... you'd need 3-4 boxes ($180 - $240).
They are rumored to cost one point more than what they currently do. And 10 finecast WE models were probably (I never bought any, I try to buy pewter over finecast, I'm using exec and bg prices as reference) costing the same as the future plastic box, so this rant may come a bit late ;)

IcedCrow
25-09-2013, 23:22
Maybe. I have on my desk a box of witch elves though from two years ago. Ten metal ones in a box for $30. From two years ago.

dhallnet
25-09-2013, 23:45
Yeah I know. I'm sorry, I didn't want to imply that there was no raise from what it once was, just that this release did not really come with a price increase for these models.

To get back to subject, I think I will add the options that have no model available now. Though I may take my time to do so.

Nightmare84
26-09-2013, 00:34
All I need is the book and cauldron. Rest can be left for a while .
Depending on what the dark elf meta will end up being to make a decent force.
The warriors, while pretty I have too many as it is

Lord Solar Plexus
26-09-2013, 05:52
"Not interested in the release" would be misleading, as I am interested. I'm just not playing DE and never was much into their background, so I'm not interested in buying anything.

The models are almost all quite excellent.

Dooks Dizzo
30-09-2013, 02:41
Real pics are out, any changes?

ronin_cse
30-09-2013, 06:10
Well not only going to be starting a DE army due to this release but this is pushing me to start WFB for the first time as well.

Gharnukk
30-09-2013, 08:19
All along I was thinking about buying some of the new stuff. But in the end when all the excitement had blown over
combined with the prices and the fact that two of the people I play the most also have Dark elves. Nah.

cptcosmic
30-09-2013, 09:21
its funny how DE book is simply a better copy of HE.

-sea dragon cloak gives scaly skin 5+ while lion cloak only protects from ranged attacks. DE get 1+ rr AS for just 30 points for characters on foot.
-dark riders get SHIELDS, while reavers dont get the barding to match their models.
-DE get a chariot with a S7 bolt thrower with anti monster special rules for just 30 points more, HE bolt chariot has only S5.
-the DE lore is imho alot better than high lore (very good hexes, S5 magic missile sig spell, power of darkness sig spell that also gives a unit +1S and a save or die spell)
-DE keeping all their power dice generation
-Doombolt is soul quench, but at S5.

lolz