PDA

View Full Version : Best Model Range

Minigiant
21-09-2013, 18:29
So im curious what people think is the best aesthetically pleasing army available to all us 40k players including Forgeworld

I have combined all Marines of good guy origin into one Choice and left off Sisters of Battle because well they are the oldest range really and i could only fill in 10 choices

Felwether
21-09-2013, 18:32
For me it's between Eldar (both flavours) and marines. Really nice models and plenty of cross-compatible plastic kits for kit-bashing goodness.

Mortimer
21-09-2013, 18:35
I would have to agree with Fel.

Even though I love orks, SM's of all flavours and D/Eldar have some mouthwatering kits.

And I adore MKIII and the new Palatine Cataphractii..

Ssilmath
21-09-2013, 18:42
I'm going to have to go with Chaos Space Marines. I do like some of the older models quite a bit, but the newest models (Chosen, Raptors, Daemon Engines) just really look amazing to me. I look forward to when more kits of that design are released.

Mortimer
21-09-2013, 18:56
I'm going to have to go with Chaos Space Marines. I do like some of the older models quite a bit, but the newest models (Chosen, Raptors, Daemon Engines) just really look amazing to me. I look forward to when more kits of that design are released.

Someone likes the aesthetics of the Daemon Engines on this forum?

Welcome to common sense :P Gorgeous models.

jceresa2
21-09-2013, 19:00
This is actually kind of a tough decision as there are some models in every range that I love and some that I think are just stinkers. I did go with marines as I love my Dark angels, but my favorite model is forgeworld's Khorne demon prince.

Ssilmath
21-09-2013, 19:10

My opinions, particularly regarding Chaos, rarely coincide with the general sentiment on this board. :p

PrehistoricUFO
21-09-2013, 19:14
Tyranids for how alien/exotic looking and versatile the models are. They are the most visually pleasing army in my opinion.

terradax
21-09-2013, 19:19
I agree with all the above, but the opportunity to kit bash over 5 different chapters made me vote for Space Marines.
Almost all kits are interchangeable with each other, giving you the opportunity to make your army unique!

SpanielBear
21-09-2013, 19:25
Gotta go with Dark Eldar because, well, have you seen them!? The scourges alone... But, if fantasy were included, I would have trouble choosing between them and the empire, due to the sheer kit bashing potential of the latter. At some point I need to get round to posting some pics of my landsknecht themed guard; even with my minimal modelling skill I love how well the kits work together. Blood angels Sanguinary guard are very nice too.

Dwane Diblie
21-09-2013, 19:40
I wanted to put Eldar. But as there is no option I went with the marine combination idea and voted Dark Eldar as the whole Eldar family.

Mortimer
21-09-2013, 19:49
I agree with all the above, but the opportunity to kit bash over 5 different chapters made me vote for Space Marines.
Almost all kits are interchangeable with each other, giving you the opportunity to make your army unique!

or as i did, a rag tag Tzeentch warband with mixed bits.. and possessed SW ;)

DeathGlam
21-09-2013, 20:36
Tyranids, fantastic model range that manages to have a really varied appearance whilst still keeping things unified.

Bugg13
21-09-2013, 21:06
Got to be Dark Eldar for the sheer uniform brilliance of the models across the range, I don't think there's a single model there I don't like.

Menthak
21-09-2013, 21:22
One word: Kasrkyn.

TheBearminator
21-09-2013, 21:27
Death korps of Krieg. Landslide victory.

After that? I'm not really sure. The dark eldar really has a lot of good looking miniatures. They look like a modern army to me in that their running models (wyches) actually look as they're sprinting forward in a very elegant eldar manner. Not like most other units in the game that pretend to be running with both feet on the ground.

anselminus
21-09-2013, 21:27
dark eldars are really top than other sculpt

TheBearminator
21-09-2013, 21:33

I'm in love with them too. And it's quite fascinating cause I've never liked anything Chaos. I would like to make an Chaos Nidzilla army with just demon engines. :)

Dryaktylus
21-09-2013, 21:39
including Forgeworld

Hum... taking FW alone, IG, Marines and CSM (+Renegades) eat the cake. From Citadel it's Dark Eldar and Marines.

Archon of Death
21-09-2013, 21:58
First, and foremost, Tyranids. Not only are they a nice range, but they allow the second most conversions and are a dream to paint. Following this would be Chaos Marines, Chaos Guard, and Daemons because all 3 have great ranges that allow the most conversions. Finally, for the last couple tops, D/E and Tau, while you leave the heavy conversions behind, you are still left with stunning models.

Mit Gas
21-09-2013, 22:38

And again I can only quote this. :) Looks like a pattern!

Although quite a few of our models are horrible. We need a few reworked kits now but if they match the DV Chosen, it could very well be the best army out there.

Drasanil
22-09-2013, 01:42
Dark Eldar. Anyone who says otherwise either has poor taste or poor eyesight :p

(I consider Forgeworld lines to be cheating, you're paying a premium for superior models and even then the dark eldar line manages to hold up against the vast majority of their stuff pretty decently.)

Santtu
22-09-2013, 02:11
I would've said Witch Hunters because most of my favourite sculpts were made for it (Exorcist, Penitent Engine, Gideon Lorr, Karamazov, Crusaders, Immolator, newer SoB with meltagun, all heavy weapon Sisters, 2nd edition Canoness with combi-flamer) but since it technically doesn't exist anymore, I'm gonna go with IG because of Death Korps.

CrownAxe
22-09-2013, 02:28
How am I the only one to have voted for daemons?

Ssilmath
22-09-2013, 02:46
How am I the only one to have voted for daemons?

Because we only got one vote. And the Nurgle stuff looks icky.

Nah, I love the Daemon aesthetics too. Just started painting up some Tzeentch daemons, and it is a joy to do so. But we only got one vote, and had to go with my boys.

Gig
22-09-2013, 03:23
Chaos Daemons followed closely by Tyranids and Dark Eldar.

lordreaven448
22-09-2013, 03:49
Tyranids. I wanted to say Daemons but the only model I dislike is the biovore but even then it still fits the theme perfectly. Next up will be Dark Eldar. Followed by Daemons. I give Chaos Space Marines a vote too because I'm one of the only people in the world who actually like the basic Chaos Marine boxed set.

intercepta
22-09-2013, 04:03
My vote goes on Guard

Kit bashing but individual and tanks, lots and lots and lots of tanks

Easiest army to make look 'right' fluff wise and aesthetically, try to make most of the armies too big and they all look like clones when they're all meant to be individuals (Orks) but for guard, well they're meant to be clones :)

Kakapo42
22-09-2013, 04:42
If I absolutely positively HAD to pick just one, it'd be Tau. I like the clean high-tech look, and the models remind me of old 20th century space opera artwork. As a funny quirk however, I am somewhat of a minority in that I actually like the current GW crisis suits MORE than the Forgeworld ones, I liked the older Broadside models more than the new and Forgeworld ones, and I like the metal GW Kor'vattra ships more than the Forgeworld ones, though many do not.

In very, very, VERY close second place is the Sisters of Battle/Witchhunters (yes, I know they are different things, I'm lumping them together because that's how I first saw them and that's how I remember them). They really capture that wonderful Gothic* magic from yester-edditions gone by (late 3rd early 4th). And they're over 90% metal, which is a big plus in my book. Yes, I like metal models.

-Totenkopf-
22-09-2013, 06:24
I think Eldar is one of the best looking armies.. In fact, I don't think there are any models in the range that I don't like and that is even more impressive considering the age of a lot of the sculpts..

m1acca1551
22-09-2013, 07:04
Dark eldar and eldar for me, the model range is simply stunning and they really capture that ideas behind there perspective races.

For a close second I will say SM but a lot of that is due to FW, the kits by GW can be very nice but never OMG good.

Belakor
22-09-2013, 09:35

We are more than you think, loving those models.

But because the range has some duds, like berserkers and bikes, my vote goes my army's nemesis loyalist Marines.

Merqu
22-09-2013, 14:07
My personal favourite would be Tau, there's only 1 model I don't like (Aun'Va) and one I think could do with improvement (Crisis Suits), fortunately Forgeworld suits are beautiful! So I voted for them to show the love. Although if I'm honest the technically best would be down to 'nids, D.Eldar, and DKoK those are just stunning models.

Nym
22-09-2013, 14:26
My vote goes to Orks. Not because I think their models are amazing (even though some of the newest kits are gorgeous), but because out of the 150 models in my army, not 2 of them look alike.

When it comes to individuality, Orks win hands down.

ihavetoomuchminis
22-09-2013, 14:33
My vote goes for orks. Characterful models, with lots of conversion options and fun to paint them (good mix of flat and non-flat sufaces). Second place for daemons, and only because they have some horrid models (GD's, Slanesh fiends and Nurgle beasts).

eldargal
22-09-2013, 14:40
Dark Eldar.

DoctorTom
22-09-2013, 19:56
I think Eldar is one of the best looking armies.. In fact, I don't think there are any models in the range that I don't like and that is even more impressive considering the age of a lot of the sculpts..

There are several that could use updating, however (especially Eldar jetbikes). That's why I gave DE the nod over Eldar.

I did this list not considering Forgeworld. If you consider them, then the Horus Heresy figures would be driving the voting.

lbecks
22-09-2013, 20:00
Dark Eldar - Only letdowns are some of the older characters and the prevalence of Finecast for certain things.

I think overall the 40k armies look very good. Kits designed a decade ago in general hold up well.

Least favorite are CSM. I think the old Raptors look better and the Flying Dragon is only half a model. The DV box was better than the wave release.

KingDeath
22-09-2013, 21:22
Dark Eldar. It's not even a contest. All other ranges suffer from a bunch of realy old/ realy ***** miniatures. The worst that DE can offer is the still somewhat decent Drazhar while most of their other miniatures reach FW level.

Zingraff
23-09-2013, 09:23
I voted for Imperial Guard, but more specifically voting for DK of Krieg and not so much Cadians, which I find bland. Excluding IG, I'd vote either Tau or Sisters of Battle.

I really think this poll should have more options. There are no separate Eldar or Sisters of Battle entries, and the poll as a whole would have been more interesting if we got to vote #1 and #2 favourites.

Poseidal
23-09-2013, 09:32
No Craftworld Eldar?

Voted Dark Eldar from those options... a total reversal from before their new codex.

Minigiant
23-09-2013, 11:35
I voted for Imperial Guard, but more specifically voting for DK of Krieg and not so much Cadians, which I find bland. Excluding IG, I'd vote either Tau or Sisters of Battle.

I really think this poll should have more options. There are no separate Eldar or Sisters of Battle entries, and the poll as a whole would have been more interesting if we got to vote #1 and #2 favourites.

Yes i know and i would have loved to have done that but a poll has a maximum of 10 answers

drmarco
23-09-2013, 17:52
So rather than roll grey knights into the same option as marines, or Craftworld/Dark Eldar as a single option you just omit Sisters of battle and Craftworld Eldar altogether?

malisteen
23-09-2013, 18:04

I'm not a big fan of the new Daemon Engines. They just lack that 'warped' look that the Dark Vengeance Helbrute had - the asymmetry, the daemonic faces, eyes, maws, and tentacles bursting through the armor plating, the little teeth growing from the armor trim, the way the fleshy and mechanical bits grew out of each other without clear distinction of which was which.

I adore the Dark Vengeance stuff, and the new plastic champion, as well as the new Raptor kit, which more or less fit that design. If the whole CSM model range had been updated to that design aesthetic, then it would be overwhelmingly my favorite model range. Sadly, the rest of the range was not updated, and a lot of it really hasn't stood the test of time all that well in my opinion.

So I'll have to say Dark Eldar, as most have it seems. They did get a much needed face lift for their entire model range, and the results are pretty spectacular, at least for the most part.

Jind_Singh
23-09-2013, 18:06
I collect and play Marines as my army - recently bought some IG for apoc games (60 Cadians and a baneblade) and I do love all things Marine - the kits are great, interchangeable, the list goes on.

BUT the award for best models, hands down, goes to Orks!!

Battle Wagon - looks epic
Planes - look even more epic
Bikes - mouth watering
Trukks - look sweet
Lootas, commandos, rokkit boyz, Grots, and other such infantry - BAGS of character
Characters - urm lots of character and awesomesauce!
STOMPA! - Best Big kit GW has EVER made (that includes you big monolith thing Necrons!)
Plastic Deff Koptas
Killa Kanz and Big Dread - WHAT! Those kits are insanely good!

And probable a whole bunch more I missed!

BUT there is more - the customization and creativity behind an Ork army is just infinite! Some of the BEST looking armies I've seen out there are Greenskins - so for me I voted for the Waaagh!

Gossipmeng
23-09-2013, 21:47
Dark eldar blow most other races out of the water. It doesn't help that many armies have models that badly are in need of an update.