PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer ...

Tyrelli
21-09-2013, 22:01
Nice looking Minis but Average / terrible Rules

Or

Awesome rules Ugly (Though that's subjective) Minis

How do you create your Army ..

myself its the minis that's why I have warptalons and mutilators (Look I like em OK ;) )

Ssilmath
21-09-2013, 22:11
I play Thousand Sons, with support from Possessed and Warp Talons. My position should be readily apparent. :D

jceresa2
21-09-2013, 22:24
Started the hobby for the modeling aspect so I prefer good looking models.

Mit Gas
21-09-2013, 22:37
I play Thousand Sons, with support from Possessed and Warp Talons. My position should be readily apparent. :D

. :)

Albeit we could use a new base model for CSM, especially after those Chosen. The current CSM squad looks like a joke next to the DV guys... I hope the specific TS parts will then be just as impressive.

SpanielBear
21-09-2013, 22:41
I love the models, but I confess I struggle with using a nice model that doesn't perform well. Often, the model ends up being replaced if it consistently under-performs. But I like to think I put up with a bit of sub-par performance (I have a squad of ten ratlings, for example, converted using empire huntsmen and Cadian guard) for models I have enjoyed making and feel pleased with. Bit of both, in conclusion.

Ironbone
21-09-2013, 22:43
Rules over look. GW tend to make quite nice model these times, and even if they fail, you can always use some sort of "count as" or conversion to do the job.

Good models with bad rules tend to be dust catchers.

A.T.
21-09-2013, 22:44
When the local group started playing again I chose the old daemonhunters and witchhunters for the models, but now all i'm left with is a shelf load of crud(dace).

Dryaktylus
21-09-2013, 22:56
myself its the minis that's why I have warptalons and mutilators (Look I like em OK ;) )

Looks like we agree - I wouldn't buy these models even if they had awesome rules.;)

Well, I use some... subpar... miniatures maybe out of nostalgia (plastic Genestealer Hybrids, female servitor, Marauders Confrontation Techs etc.), but whole suqads of minis I don't like? No way. I either use average rules for models I like or convert my own for rules I like (not necessarily OP ones - just those that I think would fit).

Sgt John Keel
21-09-2013, 23:08
I will take nice minis every day. The rules are also a lot more transient so they have a way shorter service life than the minis will, a good mini will last for ever, good rules perhaps only 'til the next edition change.

Kakapo42
21-09-2013, 23:50

Or

Good looking models. Every. Single. Time.

I'd much rather have an army that looks awesome than one that has really good rules (in fact I choose Wood Elves as my first ever Fantasy force for this very reason). That way, even if I do get tabled by turn 3, at least I'll still look good.

As far as army creation goes, my view is: if you think the model looks awesome, and/or you like it's background, use it, rules be damned. And if of course you happen to disagree with your opponent's taste in model aesthetics then, well, clearly you need to make it a personal goal to obliterate the offending miniatures as quickly as possible. :D

ForgottenLore
22-09-2013, 00:42
Both. I see this as a false dichotomy because I see it as two separate hobbies. No matter how beautiful the miniatures are, if the game sucks I am not going to actually be playing it for long even if I continue to collect and model the miniatures for it. Conversely, if it's a really good game but I don't like the models I will try like crazy to convert or proxy or counts-as appropriate models that I do like.

TheBearminator
22-09-2013, 01:20
Miniatures before rules in general.

Menthak
22-09-2013, 01:24
One word: Kasrkyn.

Words for the word god.

Angry Marine
22-09-2013, 01:35
Neither/Both.
I would always be willing to use a model as long as the rules aren't so bad it makes me auto loose or it isn't so horrible to look at that I'd be ashamed to use it.

childsoldier
22-09-2013, 01:38
Models>Rules. Give me a lovely looking army any day; if you really like it, you'll make it work. Then again, everyone in my regular gaming group is fairly relaxed and goes for fluffy/good looking over rules, so it balances out.

Gorbad Ironclaw
22-09-2013, 06:03
I'll go for the rules, its the only element you really 'need' from the game because if I don't like the models for something I can just use different models. Its a lot harder to get people to let you use different rules, but I'm quite happy to just use different models I like in place of something I don't like.

Equally, if its a lovely looking model but have terrible rules I'll give you credit for making a pretty model, but if I'm not going to use it I won't buy it.

RanaldLoec
22-09-2013, 07:26

Or

There's a reason I don't play kings of war from Mantic.

I like pretty models:D and I definitely prefer decent looking miniatures to ugly ones.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Bugg13
22-09-2013, 09:14
Models over rules, I don't go to tournaments so I'm not fussed if the unit isn't optimal, as long as the games are fun. Besides, if you wait long enough 'bad' units become good (when I saw the changes to shining spears and dark reapers in the new eldar codex I was a very happy bunny).

Importman
22-09-2013, 09:24
Always models over rules.

Rules will change but ugly models will be forever ugly.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Spider-pope
22-09-2013, 09:37

Or

The first. Rules change, and no amount of wonderful rules is going to make me want to paint something i can't stand the look of.