PDA

View Full Version : Am I being scammed for a 40k on eBay?

CordovaLemonSlayer
23-09-2013, 02:42
So I was bidding on this item, and it started to get into the pretty high numbers, but every time I bid, I was instantly outbid. So I decided to test something, I would bid a pretty high amount, much more then the miniature is worth, and sure enough, I was instantly outbid. Now, here comes the interesting part, almost instantly after the auction ended, I received a "Second Chance Offer" from the eBay seller. I checked and it was a legitimate Second Chance Offer. So, did the seller, on a different account purposefully bid an outrageous amount, so that whoever bid, the $$$ would always go up, and then offer a second chance to the highest bidder?? I don't know if I should buy it, just because I feel cheated out of my money. Here is the eBay item number in case you would like to check. 390662503390.

I need some responses fast, as I am messaging the seller right now, Thanks!

Mortimer
23-09-2013, 03:30
So I was bidding on this item, and it started to get into the pretty high numbers, but every time I bid, I was instantly outbid. So I decided to test something, I would bid a pretty high amount, much more then the miniature is worth, and sure enough, I was instantly outbid. Now, here comes the interesting part, almost instantly after the auction ended, I received a "Second Chance Offer" from the eBay seller. I checked and it was a legitimate Second Chance Offer. So, did the seller, on a different account purposefully bid an outrageous amount, so that whoever bid, the $$$ would always go up, and then offer a second chance to the highest bidder?? I don't know if I should buy it, just because I feel cheated out of my money. Here is the eBay item number in case you would like to check. 390662503390.

I need some responses fast, as I am messaging the seller right now, Thanks!

Sounds like he had someone else set a super high bid on the item, so whatever the second highest bidder bid, he would get his friend to default it and offer it to you.

Someone tried to pull same scam on me when I was buying Obliterators.

the bid with 10mins to go was 9 for 3.. and i was constantly outbid even when i employed weird bids (ending in 77p, as most would put to the nearest 50p).. with 10secs left i left a bid of 60 and i still failed to get them.. despite it being WAAAY over the price of 3 from GW store and i got a Second Chance at 60 within the hour.

Lucky that in that hour i searched who the other auctions by the seller and the top bidder on everything was the same as the winning bid. On random stuff like Tea Cosies and even furniture. Same high bidder.

EDIT: Looking at the time differences i would say that someone placed a high bid not expecting it to go higher than that.. and when it was too much backed out.

Unless you seriously want that item dont take the offer

acme2468
23-09-2013, 03:31
Yes you're being scammed

NurglesRot
23-09-2013, 03:55
Definitely sounds like he got greedy and outbid you by too much of a margin and realised his mistake. The fact that you received a second chance offer almost immediately kind of confirms it. Out of principle I would just decline to buy the item but it's your choice. Maybe ask him why he send a second offer so quickly without giving the 'winner' a chance to buy it?

Mr. Shine
23-09-2013, 04:20
Surely there's a system in place to notify eBay of traders such as this. I suggest you use it, and don't accept.

CordovaLemonSlayer
23-09-2013, 04:23
Yeah, I decided not to buy it. I sent a couple of messages to the seller, and he only responded to one saying he sent me a second chance offer. Now, he isn't responding and has become silent... maybe he knows I'm on to him.

ehlijen
23-09-2013, 06:28
It's also possible, though less likely, that someone else was trying the exact same experiment thinking you're the outbidding machine of this guy :p

CordovaLemonSlayer
23-09-2013, 06:47
It's also possible, though less likely, that someone else was trying the exact same experiment thinking you're the outbidding machine of this guy :p

Lol, that would be pretty funny. We both lose.... Maybe the seller will relist it, and learn from his mistakes. If not, then his loss. I would have bought it if he wasn't shill bidding.

mr.hardrada
23-09-2013, 07:03
The practice of putting on fake bids in order to make others pay more is called shilling/schilling. Report it and ebay will look into it. Buyers get treated pretty well on ebay.

Zingraff
23-09-2013, 12:54
the bid with 10mins to go was 9 for 3.. and i was constantly outbid even when i employed weird bids (ending in 77p, as most would put to the nearest 50p).. with 10secs left i left a bid of 60 and i still failed to get them.. despite it being WAAAY over the price of 3 from GW store and i got a Second Chance at 60 within the hour.

I will consider doing this, if I ever find myself constantly outbid as you both were. I've been using ebay on and off for almost ten years, and I don't believe I've never experienced being "shilled", but I've seen a lot auction sniping, where the other bidders were clearly employing some kind of software.

Dwane Diblie
23-09-2013, 13:50
If you look at the bid history you can see a lot. I am assuming you where r***i. If so the you where the one that actually bid on the item the most and where unlucky to be constantly out bid by a bunch of other people. If you then click on the winner, you can see his history and not once did he bid on things from the same seller while you have bid on things from at least one seller multiple times (I needed proof on how the list worked). So I do not think you where scammed but seriously unlucky. I hope you do not cop any bad rep for it.
:D

A.T.
23-09-2013, 14:27
May not be the case here but ebay has also had second chance scams where the second chance link sends you to a fake ebay website - so watch out for those.