PDA

View Full Version : New Dark Elves release - The best release ever?

lilloser2010
24-09-2013, 13:52
Yes i'm over excited and yes I am very much caught up in the moment, but dark elves are my favourite force to paint and game with so forgive my exuberance.

This may be a little premature but i'm excited by the new Dark Elf release to such an extent that it brought up the question; is this the best fantasy release ever?

Pics for those who are interested.

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/new-dark-elves-2013-leaked-pictures.html

As an extension to this question, what qualifying criteria do you place on the quality of a new release? Fluff, rules, artwork, models?

Myles

SteveW
24-09-2013, 13:55
Im just happy that my Dark Elf playing partner is getting a much deserved kick in the teeth.

lilloser2010
24-09-2013, 13:59
Im just happy that my Dark Elf playing partner is getting a much deserved kick in the teeth.

Sorry could you expand on this? How is he being kicked in the teeth? I'm interested to know.

SteveW
24-09-2013, 14:10
Right now they break the magic phase, that will undoubtedly end.

Borgomos
24-09-2013, 14:24
Most of the insanely powerful magic existing in the game has been nerfed in 8th Edition (Slann nerfed, Daemons lost Loremaster, Vampires can't spam their spells, High Elves lost Power Dice Banner, etc).

It stands to reason that most people expect the Sac Dagger and other elements of to be removed\nerfed to oblivion.

Litcheur
24-09-2013, 14:27
As an extension to this question, what qualifying criteria do you place on the quality of a new release? Fluff, rules, artwork, models?

In order : models, price, value, cost, amount of cash needed, average diameter of the hole in my wallet, rules, fluff and artwork.

Thorin
24-09-2013, 14:28
Maybe not the best release ever (Dark Eldar I'm looking at you) but by far the best one so far this year .

eldargal
24-09-2013, 14:31
I don't a well deserved re-balancing of Dark Elves can be equated to a kick in the teeth. The 7th edition book didn't do Dark Elf players any favours as some of the more lore friendly and enjoyable units became synonymous with power gaming.

I'd say it is the best WFB release in two decades, if not ever. I'd say the Dark Eldar release remains number one overall including 40k.

Romark
24-09-2013, 14:33
Models, fluff, rules, price, artwork.

Models, a large tick there. Artwork will probably be a tick as well (i'm yet to see poor DE art). The others are pending though (if ASF is true, i'll be disappointed though).

nosebiter
24-09-2013, 14:35
No. That honor goes to the Dark Eldar.

But the dark elf release is let down in my eyes by the bad hydra/other thingy.

Wesser
24-09-2013, 14:47
Think the heads of the warriors and hydra are a little strange, but that's just my taste.

On the other hand average quality of monster & core sculpts just went up :)

And lol... Shadowblade ... so he's like the master of sublety? Slightly odd concept miniature there..

GlenMorray
24-09-2013, 14:55
I think two threads for the same topic pretty much, is a waste.

IcedCrow
24-09-2013, 15:05
When I saw that witch elves are $60 for 10 plastic models, I pretty much resigned that I'll only be getting the book for organization's sake and that a dark elf army is not something i care to spend a small fortune on.

Soundwave
24-09-2013, 15:15
I am excited!!! Can not wait for the kick in the teeth, i have been playing with out dagger and pendant so i am ready! I will jump on the new book but i have a ton of dark elf stuff...so wont need to jump on minis straight away, i can use my 5th ed withces as sisters and the old cauldron it has wheels!

eldargal
24-09-2013, 16:31
I've changed my mind. Based on the new photos this is the best WFB release ever and even tops Dark Eldar.

lilloser2010
24-09-2013, 17:00
If the book is solid (and from what I can judge from the rumoured rules it seems good) then this has to be the best release.

With these models the Druchii are the most aesthetically pleasing in the fantasy range (in my opinion of course - subjectivity and all).

Spiney Norman
24-09-2013, 17:03
If the book is solid (and from what I can judge from the rumoured rules it seems good) then this has to be the best release.

With these models the Druchii are the most aesthetically pleasing in the fantasy range (in my opinion of course - subjectivity and all).

Even if the book is 'solid' it will still represent a substantial power-down from the current army list dark elves have, and at least DE players are getting a slew of new beautiful models (and the hydra as well) to soften the blow.

Personally I'm loving it, although I'm not a Dark Elf player I can definitely see the sisters of slaughter and perhaps some of the warriors making their way into my dark Eldar army as bloodbrides/trueborn.

Shame about the hydra though, those heads are pumbagor-level bad, who knows the hydra might have terribad rules as well this time around, they seem to like over-nerfing last edition's go-to units.

Horace35
24-09-2013, 17:03
When I saw that witch elves are $60 for 10 plastic models, I pretty much resigned that I'll only be getting the book for organization's sake and that a dark elf army is not something i care to spend a small fortune on.

Yep the prices really dent my enthusiasm for what would otherwise be an excellent release

StygianBeach
24-09-2013, 17:15
This is seriously a great release... I love at least half the models, the other half I am not so keen on.

I really do not like the name Dreadspears.

I will get the book ASAP though.

Urgat
24-09-2013, 17:28
I'm somewhat doubtful of the hydra heads, but that aside? yeah, I pretty much agree, it's just an amazing release.

lbecks
24-09-2013, 17:31
It's a good release. I thought the DE only had 3 good looking kits before, but now they're going to have a lot more.

maze ironheart
24-09-2013, 17:34
Really the best ever in opposite land that is :rolleyes: their's no New chariot,Dark rider''s fix old probloms not make new one's Genius.

Myster2
24-09-2013, 17:39
I hope your release is better than the LM release. The new models look very nice and collect dust on shelves.

Odin
24-09-2013, 17:46
It's a solid release, definitely more good than bad. But the hydra heads are terrible, and the warriors, while a definite improvement over their predecessors, are a bit undewhelming and very static.

I'll be amazed if GW ever manage another set of releases as good as the Dark Eldar reboot. Though I'm hoping they manage it for Wood Elves (eventually). On the plus side, it sounds like my Woodies will have much needed ASF.

MiyamatoMusashi
24-09-2013, 17:50
I've not seen a good enough picture of the Sisters of Slaughter to judge them very well yet, but otherwise, I have no interest whatsoever in buying any of those models... and Dark Elves have always been my favourite Warhammer army. :(

(Even if the SoS are good, I'm not paying that amount of money for them, no way no how).

Best ever release!? Suffice to say that your tastes, and mine, diverge in almost completely opposite directions. Of course, these aren't the worst GW models ever (say hello, plastic daemons of Nurgle!), I'd place them as somewhere around a 3/10 rising to 4/10 for the Witch Elves (plunging to 1/10 for the Cauldron of Blood), but the best ever???? Cripes, no.

Odin
24-09-2013, 17:51
Really the best ever in opposite land that is :rolleyes: their's no New chariot,Dark rider''s fix old probloms not make new one's Genius.

You really can't wait a month for those?

kylek2235
24-09-2013, 18:07
It looks like a pretty good release so far, but I think the 6th edition Bret reboot was the best fantasy release. It rebooted pretty much the entire range with, at the time, some of the best models ever. The pegasus knights were hailed as the best plastic kit and the King Leon Leoncour one of their best medal models. It's almost apples to oranges though since this is a wave release, while that was a complete reboot. I still remember everyone comparing the stupid old Empire horses to the brand new Bret ones.... and then having the same conversation again when the wood elves were released. Despite their lack of popularity, the Brets actually have a pretty good range still too.

maze ironheart
24-09-2013, 18:56
You really can't wait a month for those?

Truth be told I don't play as dark elve's my friend dose and he has been waiting for a new release but alas no cold one chariot or dark rider's just a toy dino (Hydra) the snake women is a nice touch though.

Odin
24-09-2013, 19:05
Truth be told I don't play as dark elve's my friend dose and he has been waiting for a new release but alas no cold one chariot or dark rider's just a toy dino (Hydra) the snake women is a nice touch though.

But the same source has both of those units down for next month, so it's hardly an issue, is it?

maze ironheart
24-09-2013, 19:11
They why is it not in the picture's I guess I'll wait till Saturday if no dark rider's or chariot then guess it prove's my point if it has them then I would except I was wrong.

Niezck
24-09-2013, 19:12
I'd say wait until the book is released before really judging, IMO the Lizardmen model release was amazing (and a lot of others said at the time it was the 'best release so far' etc) but then the book hit and was basically more of the same and pretty disappointing.

Nagash333
24-09-2013, 20:12
Definitely agree, Khainite units are amazing in particular. I've been playing Dark Elves for nearly 15 years, very excited about this release. Never been a fantasy release this good. Hopefully more balanced rules in places will follow. Certain magic item crutches need to go.

loveless
24-09-2013, 20:24
Based on the new photos this is the best WFB release ever

Agreed.

and even tops Dark Eldar.

Maybe :p

---

They have a lovely look of evil about them all. The warriors look imposing, the witches and sisters look appealing and deadly, and the "war wagons" are spectacular.

The only complaint I have about this release is the pricing. Seriously, I'm impressed.

Cerebralerebus
24-09-2013, 20:31
Not sure about the warriors themselves - the best thing they ever did with dark elves is give them enclosed helmets the old plastics had (with the mouths free) -these new ones just look too much like slightly evil high elves. Given it's one of the only revised core plastics unit I feel a little disappointed and underwhelmed.

I am also not impressed by the number of duplications in the witch elves/sisters of slaughter. I know they were pushed for time but for such individual poses to have only five basic models is fairly lame - may need to mix up with dark eldar wyches.

I fear that GW has wanted to give the impression of a huge release but has just spread the budget/manpower over more units which has just left a few looking uninspired.

Some really fantastic centrepieces though.

Unfortnately this is not on a par with dark eldar (grotesques aside).

Gork or Possibly Mork
24-09-2013, 21:39
I'm somewhat doubtful of the hydra heads, but that aside? yeah, I pretty much agree, it's just an amazing release.

Agreed. The hydra heads do have a puff the magic dragon/sockpuppet/Mcdonalds toy feel. I liked the old elven looking ruthless teradactyl head much better. If they were gonna go serpentine head the LOTR cave beast thing looks the part much better. It just reminds me too much of the horrid LM Coldone heads but not as elongated. The hydra heads are too short, flat, squared and wide. Kharibydss thing is pretty cool but different than i imagined. I don't really like shadowblades gravity defying "Sail boat" cape. The top corner floating in the air like that just looks odd to me otherwise he's pretty awesome. Cauldron/Bloodshrine is simply amazing. Warriors could be a little less static not much though because i like the uniformed disciplined looking troops. Witches could have used more poses and i'm not really fond of most of them doing a muaythai jumping knee :p but i do like the sculpts and how dynamic they are. Hellbron's savage orc arms up pose is a little boring.

Minor critiques all in all but the hydra heads are :wtf: This would have been much better imo 178808

Kayosiv
24-09-2013, 22:12
That Hydra mock-up looks so much better it's unreal. It actually looks ferocious and dangerous instead of... unintelligent and benign.

Lord Inquisitor
24-09-2013, 22:23
Models are a big fail for me. The cauldron is good, I like the cauldron and the variant, given that it's a pretty dumb concept to begin with I think it is pretty nice looking. Witch elves are meh (posing is a bit ridiculous and don't do well compared with Raging Heroes' blood vestals (http://www.ragingheroes.com/collections/complete-collection/products/blood-vestals-command-group) or Dark Eldar wyches). The hydra ... is appalling. How did they screw the concept up that badly? Words fail me. On the plus side they'll probably nerf it into the ground so no one will ever want to take one. The variant isn't much better, a bit more scary looking but it looks like they just took some tyranid bits and stuck them on top.

Rakariel
24-09-2013, 22:27
Apart from the rules we cannot really comment on at the moment, this is a release I have been waiting for. Nearly all of the models (I`m not looking at you Hydra) are great and with some even on the horizon still will hopefully create a book which will give us DE players alot of variation. I love to do themed lists and it seems with this release we can do alot of them.

loveless
24-09-2013, 22:28
I must be the only one who really dislikes Raging Heroes Blood Vestals...

Lord Inquisitor
24-09-2013, 22:33
Better than these ones. Don't look like they're only stabbing your eye out because they've tripped over a rock.

The new witch elves are okay. But hardly "best release ever" material.

ihavetoomuchminis
24-09-2013, 22:35
I must be the only one who really dislikes Raging Heroes Blood Vestals...

You're not the only one. I just like the cauldron and medusa thing. Everything else is just meh. The best release ever? No way. I can think of, at least, 3 better releases. Dark Eldar, Vampire Counts (the Throne/Mortis engine is better, IMO, than the cauldron), and Orks (when they released Nobz, Battlewagon, Dreads, kanz....ouch....2nd best army renewal ever...1st is Dark Eldar).

The most hyped and overexagerated general reaction ever? Sure.

revenant J J
24-09-2013, 22:46
If they were gonna go serpentine head the LOTR cave beast thing looks the part much better.

I was really hoping the new Hydra would form along similar lines to the one that is depicted in the background of this Paul Dainton piece:

I think it is very reminiscent of the Cave Drake: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1670046a

Gork or Possibly Mork
24-09-2013, 23:06
I was really hoping the new Hydra would form along similar lines to the one that is depicted in the background of this Paul Dainton piece:

I think it is very reminiscent of the Cave Drake: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1670046a

Yep. I like that cave drake head much better. Ideal to me would be something like a harry potter basilisk.

Fear Ghoul
24-09-2013, 23:37
I think there's a lot of exaggeration on both sides. This is quite clearly not the best WFB release ever, although the Medusa is in my opinion one of the best miniatures GW has produced in the last 5 years. The Witch Elves are far better than their predecessors (which isn't hard), however they are a bit too busy with their poses and so it seems like a ranked unit would look a bit disorganized. On the other hand I think the Blood Vestals from Raging Heroes have the same problem, so it's not GW specific. The Warriors are better but not drastically so, and their spears are still too big. The Hydra looks worse, but that is mostly due to the awkward pose and garish colour scheme, although it does now actually look much more like a Greek Hydra compared with the current many-headed Dragon wannabee. Overall the release is good, perhaps even great (will wait until next month for final judgement), but mostly due to the Medusa and Witch Elves (which have their problems as stated above). The best WFB release this edition surely has to go to Vampire Counts. Mortis Engine, Coven Throne, Isabella von Carstein, Krell, Black Knights all unreservedly amazing models. You could also add the Zombie Dragon and Necromancer if you wanted to go back several months before that.

outbreak
24-09-2013, 23:54
Eh there's some nice models and some average models. To be honest though I'd wait until we actually get the models before claiming that the hydra is flat out horrible, their photos look horrible but the minotaurs looked appalling too but once painted up better they weren't as bad as I originally thought. A bit let down though, I'd read all about how awesome these models were but their a bit mediocre to me, I was fully expecting to regret selling my dark elves but I'm surprised that I don't regret it based on these models.

Boromir
25-09-2013, 00:57
After all the hype the models are frankly disappointing and unimpressive. Hardly the best ever release. Most of the sculpts are nice, apart from the godawful hydra/kharibdyss kit.
The warriors are certainly an improvement, if a bit static, and the cauldron of blood has nice components.
The witches are very lithe but here in Australia they'll cost a small fortune, which is hard to justify if they come in boxes of 10.
Shadowblade is great, just like the artwork in the army book.

Dark Eldar were far superior and revamped the whole range of models. VC and Bretonnians (at the time) were far better Fantasy releases imo. I'm really hoping the dark riders/warlocks and executioners/black guard are better models, if they are in fact coming out in November.

Ramius4
25-09-2013, 01:33
Not the best ever no. In the top 10, sure. Dark Eldar #1. 40K Orks, Bretonnians, Wood Elves, Vampires, and yes, Space Marines have all had just as impressive or better releases.

Don Zeko
25-09-2013, 03:41
I'm going to have to buck the trend here. I like the release in general and think the Kharybdess thing is awesome. Hopefully they keep up the good work with the follow-up next month. Now let's just see about the rules. here's hoping the new DE look like High Elves (without the World Dragon screw-up) in terms of internal and external balance. I'm not crazy about the new spearmen, but then I don't mind the old warrior models that everybody else seems to hate, so what do I know.

Urgat
25-09-2013, 06:16
I think there's a lot of exaggeration on both sides.

Not really, it's just called wide range of tastes. There's no reason to think that Eldargal exagerates when shes says that's for her it's the best release in years, and there's no reason not to believe that Lord Inquisitor actually hates all the new minis. The only reason why you would think such a thing is that you would disagree with either because you find yourself in a middleground and consider your opinion superior, but we wouldn't do that, now would we? :D

eldargal
25-09-2013, 06:20
Yup. I genuinely do think this is one of the finest releases GW have put out in years, though having calmed down a bit I'd say Dark Eldar still remain in top spot slightly, though that may change if the Dark Elf wave 2 eventuates..:) If people don't think so that's fine, but given I've seen perhaps four people say they dislike the release and a hundred or so say they love it I think the community consensus is that's a very impressive release.

sulla
25-09-2013, 06:31
Think the heads of the warriors and hydra are a little strange, but that's just my taste.

On the other hand average quality of monster & core sculpts just went up :)

And lol... Shadowblade ... so he's like the master of sublety? Slightly odd concept miniature there..To be fair though, there probably shouldn't even be a shadowblade mini. He's a master of disguise so just use a model from your opponent's army...

This is my favourite army release ever... and we're only halfway through. Not a single model I dislike, paintjob on the Hydra aside.Chariots, light cav and elite infantry still to come! (Then again, DE are my number 1 army and the reason I got into fantasy back in 6th was the Alex Hedstrom Executioners, so I was an easy target for this release, anyway).

Urgat
25-09-2013, 06:53
Anyway. I have never really paid attention to the 8th ed version of the rule, but how do handlers work now? Because they're on the hydra/charibdyss base obviously.

Rudra34
25-09-2013, 06:59
Anyway. I have never really paid attention to the 8th ed version of the rule, but how do handlers work now? Because they're on the hydra/charibdyss base obviously.

Monsters and handlers is the single most worthless, poorly written and misunderstood rule in all of fantasy. With any luck they will have gotten rid of it and just added on the two handlers' attacks as part of a combined profile.

eron12
25-09-2013, 07:09

I'm guessing they are going to lose monsters and handlers and combine them into a single model like the goblins and aracnorock, or TK sphinex.

shelfunit.
25-09-2013, 07:20
It's an ok release, but other than the cauldron there really isn't anything you can get either better looking (RH) or much cheaper (Gamezone (http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/en/dark-elves/1624-dark-elf-infantry-box-plastic-resin-.html)) elsewhere. The cauldron is a nice model - hilariously impractical for the battlefield, but that could be said about a few things - the only real reason to get that is the medusa model, which seems very out of place in a DE army anyway.

Soundwave
25-09-2013, 07:32
I would say the best for overall scheme of things,there is no denying it the dark elves have been spoilt.
New core,monsters,specials ,characters all dual kits as well as a triple for the core,now that is impressive.
So personal taste aside(i love them but i am a dark elf fan boy of 16 years) yeah by far the best release this year especially if the second wave comes to fruition.

Rakariel
25-09-2013, 08:47
There is no denying that Dark Elves have been spoilt indeed. There seems to be such a boatload of options with so many new minis I don`t even know where to start. Hopefully the rules will also catch this drift, not overpowered but viable. It doesn`t hurt that I really like the models overall aswell. Can´t wait to see the chariots, dark riders and BG/Executioners. Man, so much to come still :D

Wesser
25-09-2013, 10:05
Pretty silly thread huh

I don't like Dark Elf/Dark Eldar imagery at all. Guess I'm happy for you DE players I guess (but not really as I wanted woodies).

I think Vampire Counts (if you count the 6-month prior wave) was a vastly superior release with awesome new models and replacements for some awful oldies (old black knights...).

ONly thing to mar that release is that they removed the old bloodline characters from sales to be replaced with..uh nothing... Try buying a mounted vampire or wight king. It aint pretty.

Sooo no. Average release

Scythe
25-09-2013, 10:25
As a Dark Elf player myself, I would say it is a nice release, though not near the best release ever. Plus, it is a little bit early to judge, as we haven't seen the 3 additional plastic boxes which are supposed to be arriving next month. Anyway, about the current releases:

- The Cauldron / Shrine is very nice. Love the execution, despite usually not being a big fan of those wagon things. Never imagined me buying a Cauldron, but I just might. Love the Naga model, great stuff.
- The witches / sisters are great models on an individual level, awesome. However, there are only 5 poses available in the kit, and those are very specific. The kit is also beyond expensive. I will never drop the cash of these to make a unit of 30 or so, and it is doubtful I even buy a single box. A shame, really. I might have bought masses if they had a reasonable price.
- The warriors are ok, an improvement over the older ones. I don't like the new helmets though; I prefer the enclosed previous ones, and dislike those stupid small plates they seem to glue to the front of their helmets. Luckily, those can be easily converted.
- The sea monster and hyrda are very nice. I kind of like the new hydra heads, something different than the overdone dragon / drake heads imo. The handler hair looks stupid (always hated topknots), but that should be easily fixable.

Overall, I might buy one or two boxes of this release, also a bit depending on what will arrive next month. The 'best release' would have me run out and replace my army (or buy a new army), that obviously won't happen. It won't even be an investment as large as the vampire investment I did with that book release. As for the releases that really made me go 'wow' and rush out and buy stuff, 6th edition Wood Elves, and 3rd edition Tyranids. That aside, I must be one of the few people who was rather indifferent about the Dark Eldar releases (still hate the bare feet on the scrouges and hellions).

Fear Ghoul
25-09-2013, 10:49
Not really, it's just called wide range of tastes. There's no reason to think that Eldargal exagerates when shes says that's for her it's the best release in years, and there's no reason not to believe that Lord Inquisitor actually hates all the new minis. The only reason why you would think such a thing is that you would disagree with either because you find yourself in a middleground and consider your opinion superior, but we wouldn't do that, now would we? :D

Well yes, people are entitled to their opinions. And in my opinion, people exaggerate the pros and cons of a release when they say things like "Best WFB release ever" or "Terrible models", for the same reason that I think people clearly exaggerate when they say that "Fantasy is dying". I do of course consider my opinion superior, otherwise I wouldn't have it. The reason I consider my opinion superior is outline in my post - the release is solid but has some noticeable flaws in execution, mainly Witch Elf/Sisters of Slaughter poses/customizability/variability and Hydra/Kharybdiss pose/variability. These are noticeable flaws for anyone who took half a minute to look, and so people who gloss over them are quite clearly not evaluating the release objectively, as are those who see no improvement over the previous models. If that makes me disagree with Eldargal (who has herself admitted she exaggerated) and Lord Inquisitor, then so be it.

eldargal
25-09-2013, 10:55
Well I didn't exaggerate exactly, I just got a bit overexcited and jumped to the conclusion it was better than Dark Eldar too early. I'm just not sure i's fair to compare it to Dark Eldar yet when there is another wave coming in a few weeks. We know what both Dark Eldar waves looked like at the time of release afterall. It's certainly the best WFB release in a long time, closely followed by VC.

Karak Norn Clansman
25-09-2013, 11:47
Those pointy-eared raiders have indeed stolen the prize. The new Dark Elves make that army the best sculpted in all WHFB. I particularly like the common infantry, especially so the swordselves. About time.

Now make even better Dwarfs. :D

Dooks Dizzo
25-09-2013, 12:43
I don't know if they are the best release ver but I am in love so good enough.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
25-09-2013, 12:59
Strangely, while I love the Dark Eldar range, I'm not a particular fan of this release. Nearly all the poses seem strange to me, whether it be the Hydra balancing on its flat tail, the matador Shadowblade, the randomly dancing Witch Elves or the bolt upright Dread Spears. Something more in between the two extremes pose wise for all of those would have been nice. I'm also not a fan of the general concept of the Cauldron of Blood, just looks too Skaven to me. The only models I like are the Sisters of Silence, there the poses suit the dynamic flails.

TheDungen
25-09-2013, 14:06
and the trend of me laughing at gw releases continue. The cauldron of blood have a lot in common with several musical sets I constructed back when I was a roadie. instead of going down a path of a martial empire based on slave labour they mad eit look like the drowning doom from brütal legend, I think goth is the word for it. now the hags only need runny mascara and bad music about how much their lives suck and committing suicide. (the medusa looks decent though, but it reminds me a little to much of the seawitches from warcraft to feel original)

The dreadspears have nice bodies but the helmets are far to close to high elf helmets for my taste. still a solid set propably my favourite part of the release. shadowblade is nice I guess, but the sisters of slaughter and witch elf's are very meh, especially compared to the kickass dark eldar wyches. (edit: they again feel more like dancers in a musical than fighters, the khanites looks like they have a theme of being a goth version of the valkyries from the ring of the nibelung rather than in a battle)
the hydra could've been a great set if it hadn't suffered from being a dual kit with the 'kraken', the heads and the they way they raise above it is really menacing and nice but the body fails to deliver since it looks like a seahorse. Works for the 'kraken' though, but it's heads are pretty meh. I'll give the model a chance in 3d before judging it though.

not the best release ever inferior to amongst others the high elf release (if you ignore the fluff changes in the he army book).

GlenMorray
25-09-2013, 14:22
but the sisters of slaughter and witch elf's are very meh, especially compared to the kickass dark eldar wyches.

I don't think that's correct at all and totally down to a skewiff opinion. I'd wait for the real thing as I think they actually look amazing.

Glen_Savet
25-09-2013, 16:56
I'm not terribly impressed. Not really a fan of the Elven aesthetic in general however.

Dooks Dizzo
26-09-2013, 00:49
not the best release ever inferior to amongst others the high elf release (if you ignore the fluff changes in the he army book).

I think this really points out to me just how subjective tastes are. I am blow away by how cool the DE release is while the high elves did almost nothing for me.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
26-09-2013, 00:57
Judging from the pictures the hydra-kit is rather terrible. Spearmen are almost identical to the old ones, which is neither bad nor good for my understanding. I really like the witches and the Medusa, though.
Best fantasy release ever? Not for me.

TheDarkDuke
26-09-2013, 01:50
Ehhhh as a long time dark elf player i dont find any of these models that appealing at all.... So for me its one of the worst, much rather new dark riders.

m1acca1551
26-09-2013, 03:42
I'm really not that excited,

When GW does a release I base the success on my urge to begin the army with the new miniatures, this so far I will add doesn't give me the urge to race out and buy these new miniatures, well apart from the cost be extremely prohibitive. I will reserve full judgment on the DE release until I've seen the next wave, but still think gamezone miniature will see more of my money than GW.

Drasanil
26-09-2013, 06:21

Really? The only thing I remember about the high elf release are tranny-archers, phoenixes and a really really and I mean incredibly stupid should never have existed flying chariot. It wasn't at all what High Elves needed which made it overall very 'meh'.

I think this really points out to me just how subjective tastes are. I am blow away by how cool the DE release is while the high elves did almost nothing for me.

Yup. The fact dark elves got new core infantry and that they are nice, simple, clean and easily ranked up infantry already puts it miles ahead of the Asur release as far as I am concerned. I would also say add to that that the dark elves seem to have avoided 'stupid' unit creep like previous armies, you have the Tentacle-face thing and the Sisters of Slaughter, both new units but unless the fluff is really derpy they at least blend in rather well with the existing theme as opposed to the flying chariots and I would call it an overall win. Miles a head of the high elf release.

Ramius4
26-09-2013, 06:26
Yup. The fact dark elves got new core infantry and that they are nice, simple, clean and easily ranked up infantry already puts it miles ahead of the Asur release as far as I am concerned. I would also say add to that that the dark elves seem to have avoided 'stupid' unit creep like previous armies, you have the Tentacle-face thing and the Sisters of Slaughter, both new units but unless the fluff is really derpy they at least blend in rather well with the existing theme as opposed to the flying chariots and I would call it an overall win. Miles a head of the high elf release.

Well, there's also the one-wheeled chariots coming, which have not been shown yet. That's just as bad as the flying HE chariots.

Drasanil
26-09-2013, 06:36
Well, there's also the one-wheeled chariots coming, which have not been shown yet. That's just as bad as the flying HE chariots.

I will build it as two-wheeled chariot and give bad looks to anyone who tries to say it should only have one:D

Ramius4
26-09-2013, 06:53
I will build it as two-wheeled chariot and give bad looks to anyone who tries to say it should only have one:D

I'd like to see if that's even feasible, but I plan on doing the same (if it's not too much money to get them in the first place).

Drasanil
26-09-2013, 07:00
I'd like to see if that's even feasible, but I plan on doing the same (if it's not too much money to get them in the first place).

Well, if it is supposed to be duel-kitted (and we all know how GW loves those these days) with normal cold one chariots then it should be quite possible... at least I hope... God forbid they went ahead and did something incredibly daft like having the regular chariot also be mono-wheel!

Kayosiv
26-09-2013, 09:37
Ha. Rumor is mono-wheel is the case for both.

TheDungen
26-09-2013, 10:54
I disagree there, the flying chariot while a concept i was initially sceptic too looked small and sleek enough to be acceptable, the phoenixes fits in the army and the sisters/shadow warriors are decent I guess (my biggest gripe with that release was these), here you have a two legged hydra, a rolling stage for your witch elf song and dance numbers and witch elves that looks like the are in the swan lake(because every single pair of legs are in exactly the same pose, the only variation is that some lift the other leg). The only saving grace of this release is the new spearmen who again I don't like the helmets of (the lower portion of the helms are nice but the high helms is a high elf trait not a dark elf one).

I'd say this release is jsut like all the others, compare it to the space marine release last month, nice remade infantry and the big centrepiece makes me want to gouge my eyes out. same thing with lizardmen (some nice things but the carnosaur looks like a bulldog), empire (some nice things but the magic shrines were ridiculous) and woc (some nice things but the warshrine was horrible). High elves on the other hand is like VC, the centrepiece kit was actually nice while some of the smaller models was my gripe with the release (in vc's case the monstrous infantry guys).

peukestas
26-09-2013, 12:26
For my friend, a DE player, this release was the best ever. For me, a Wood Elf player, it is remarkable but the best release ever will be that of my army! :D

Voss
26-09-2013, 12:31
I disagree there, the flying chariot while a concept i was initially sceptic too looked small and sleek enough to be acceptable, the phoenixes fits in the army and the sisters/shadow warriors are decent I guess (my biggest gripe with that release was these), here you have a two legged hydra, a rolling stage for your witch elf song and dance numbers and witch elves that looks like the are in the swan lake(because every single pair of legs are in exactly the same pose, the only variation is that some lift the other leg). The only saving grace of this release is the new spearmen who again I don't like the helmets of (the lower portion of the helms are nice but the high helms is a high elf trait not a dark elf one).

I'd say this release is jsut like all the others, compare it to the space marine release last month, nice remade infantry and the big centrepiece makes me want to gouge my eyes out. same thing with lizardmen (some nice things but the carnosaur looks like a bulldog), empire (some nice things but the magic shrines were ridiculous) and woc (some nice things but the warshrine was horrible). High elves on the other hand is like VC, the centrepiece kit was actually nice while some of the smaller models was my gripe with the release (in vc's case the monstrous infantry guys).
The hydra has four legs.

And the warrior helmets are based off the current cold one knights, down to the same assembly. Helmet +front crest.

TheDungen
26-09-2013, 15:06
ah yeah there's two more of them, hmm i still don't like the pose and the fins, they makes it look like a seahorse but it's way (waaaaay) better than what I thought it was.

I'm not sure i agree about them looking that alike, but he the dreadspears is still the part of this release I like, the khainite dance troupe is the part I don't like.

Ok so maybe this release is on par with he high elf release but it's still not the best release ever.

loveless
26-09-2013, 15:09
but he the dreadspears is still the part of this release I like, the khainite dance troupe is the part I don't like.

The Dreadspears are definitely the best thing about the release, as it means the Core choices actually look decent if you aim for non-Corsair armies.

That said, the Khainite dance troupe makes me happy :p The Sisters build especially. I just wish they were cheaper...

MR. GRUMPY
26-09-2013, 18:48
I dont see what the fuss is about. People really are this happy? I dont like this release at all and this has put me off starting Dark elves. Hydra is a downgrade from the old one and that other monster reminds me of the weird stuff chaos got. The big wagons are over the top and are way to high fantasy and hm "impractical" for my taste I just cant see those things on a battlefield.

Love the spearmen though.

loveless
26-09-2013, 19:45
The big wagons are over the top and are way to high fantasy

This is the wrong game to be playing if you don't like high fantasy...

MR. GRUMPY
26-09-2013, 22:19

I enoy the game very much thank you for your concerns.
And I never said I didnt like high fantasy. But there can always be to much of something and in this case it just becomes silly to me.

TheDungen
26-09-2013, 23:14

I'm getting tired of this argument getting thrown out every time someone dislike a ridiculous looking mini. It all comes down to your interpretation of high fantasy, some mean lotr with high fantasy some mean wow:tbc and there's a huuge diffrence between those interpretations. Warhammer is very D&D lotr high fantasy (which I prefer calling classic fantasy) but some of the later additions is more of the other kind.

Drasanil
26-09-2013, 23:15
But there can always be to much of something and in this case it just becomes silly to me.

Why? The wagons, or at least CoB, being over the top and impractical makes sense in this case. It's a ceremonial object that gets dragged onto the battlefields for special occasions not a purpose build war machine, makes sense it would be ostentatious and high fantasy like as opposed to down to earth and functional.

As for the hydra, the heads are a disappointment, but the galloping Tyranid one from 7th is by far a worse offender. The model is ugly as sin in a bad way and I think it only ever got 'popular' because the rules were so good.

ewar
26-09-2013, 23:40
I read all the hype then saw the pics... hmmm, I'm not feeling it either.

The Khainite units are lovely, the witch elves especially are fantastic. The spearmen are... spearmen, not sure they'll look too different to the last lot when they're all ranked up.

The hydra is just awful... the previous model was glorious, how could they take such a step backward?? The LM monster models were glorious, I wonder who the sculptor of the new hydra was? Smells like Big Hand Trish to me... not good.

I do think the Shadowblade mini is incredible though, best single model they've released in a long time for WFB, perhaps the best since the plastic necromancer. Such a shame they screwed up the plastic saurus hero, when you see what they can turn out sometimes.

Shadeseraph
27-09-2013, 03:09
Dunno. I suppose it is for those that play dark elves and/or like the aesthetics. I do neither, so for me it is a fairly uninteresting release, except because one of the players I usually game with plays them, so I am interested in their rules.

Were I to name a "best release ever", I'd have to say that the appearance of Codex: Tau Empire back in WH40K 3rd ed was it for me. As for recent releases... The latest Tau update was quite good: Both Broadsides and Riptides have amazing models, and the new pathfinders are lovely. As for fantasy, the Island of Blood set is much more to my tastes: Reavers, swordmasters and even LSG are all lovely models, and the griffon rocks.

Litcheur
27-09-2013, 12:58
It's not a bad release, but not exactly the best release ever.

Darkblade is pretty good. It's not really my vision of an assassin, but it looks great.
Spearelves are fine, crossbowelves are not. The way they stand just doesn't work.
The kadohrrdokadaohkd is fine, the hydra is not.
The Cauldron could be nice. Many parts are very, very nice. When they're added together, it just feels silly.
Witch Elves ? Nice idea, poor execution.

Plastic is good if you want to sell moar Space Marines, or make Leman Russes and flyers. Something that doesn't need any details. Real minis are made out of resin or metal. When you need details, forget plastics. It's been TEN years since the first mass-plastic release, and we're here now. :o

I mean, look at their tentacles hair. £3.50 per witch, for that?!? And you probably have to field units of 20+...

Fear Ghoul
27-09-2013, 13:58
Plastic is good if you want to sell moar Space Marines, or make Leman Russes and flyers. Something that doesn't need any details. Real minis are made out of resin or metal. When you need details, forget plastics. It's been TEN years since the first mass-plastic release, and we're here now. :o

I mean, look at their tentacles hair. £3.50 per witch, for that?!? And you probably have to field units of 20+...

I don't see how the above is even remotely true, considering the hair of most GW metal/resin models isn't much better.

jestacardo
27-09-2013, 14:21
The girlfriend, whose army this is, had mixed feelings. Hydra looks really bad compared to the old one and is a victim of dual kitting to us, but the witch elves and sisters of slaughter look aces.

However, we're really not keen on the new warriors:
1. No female bodies - real oversight here and a true shame.
2. She says with those helmets they look like KKK members. Didn't see it myself at first but after she pointed it out I can't unsee it.

The helmets can be clipped down but not much to be done about the all male torsos :(.

Voss
27-09-2013, 14:41
2. She says with those helmets they look like KKK members.
Not even vaguely. The helmet design is drawn from the current Cold One Knights. Why either of you think they look like white hoods is beyond me- you want high elves for that sort of thing.

jestacardo
27-09-2013, 15:18
Not even vaguely. The helmet design is drawn from the current Cold One Knights. Why either of you think they look like white hoods is beyond me- you want high elves for that sort of thing.

Well when the light catches the metal paint on the spire, like the top left one in the photograph it likes like a pointed white peak. Only one of the Cold One Knights has a helmet with a single peak like that, all the rest have multiple prongs.

Anyway that's how it looks to us.

IcedCrow
27-09-2013, 15:39
Interesting. That's the first time I've ever heard someone try to pass off an elf figure as a KKK figure. But whatever floats your boat lol

Litcheur
27-09-2013, 21:15
I don't see how the above is even remotely true, considering the hair of most GW metal/resin models isn't much better.

I suppose we have to agree to disagree.

The plastic minis are crap when we're talking about women and their hair : daemonettes, witch elves now... No wonder why GW is so reluctant to release the Sisters of Battle, they will probably look terrible.

Just have a closer look at a bret damsel, and her hair. Even the minis from the 90s looked better than these plastic minis. Oh, by the way, they were twice as cheap.

Jind_Singh
28-09-2013, 08:58
Now that the pics are up on the site...

Core - look fine, mono-pose but very serviceable - and no issues there. Price - so-so but not bad

Hydra - looks better than the leaked pics but not amazing..not bad either just not WOW! The other variant is nice though

Witches...oh man! Ok so 1st off I REALLY liked them! Then I saw the price tag - and then I looked at the pictures again - and saw laaaazzzzzzyyyy copy of just 5 bodies with different heads! Really - going to charge almost an army box price for 10 minis for just 5 different bodies?

Shame on you!

It'll be one of the nicer Warhammer armies out there - but this new price structure is INSANE!

I had JUST gotten used to the idea of forking out $60 for 10 models but $70 even kicks me in the balls - and I'm a GW Fan boy thru and thru!

Urgat
28-09-2013, 09:23
I enoy the game very much thank you for your concerns.
And I never said I didnt like high fantasy. But there can always be to much of something and in this case it just becomes silly to me.

Seriously, it's just a cart with 6 wheels. There're things a thousand times more high fantasy at the local carnival.

The hydra is just awful... the previous model was glorious, how could they take such a step backward?? The LM monster models were glorious, I wonder who the sculptor of the new hydra was? Smells like Big Hand Trish to me... not good.
Sorry- but this is getting seriously old. Trish sculpts what she's told, based on the concepts she's given. The Carmine dragon shows what she can do when left alone, and the hag troll shows just how good she still is. Give her a freaking rest, for Pete's sake.

I didn't pay attentkion to the fact the warriors are all male. Well that sucks: my ever WIP DE army is an all female Slaanesh cult. Guess it'll stay on hold for quite longer.

dutchwarlord
28-09-2013, 09:27
I might buy the Kraken just because it looks very awesome. The assassin has a very nice pose too, really shows they advantage of plastic characters. Fanastic release imho, I only wish the Witch Elves were not that expenisve, I am not going to buy them, but hey no one says I should.

Scammel
28-09-2013, 09:33
Has anyone given the Hydra the 360 view yet? The first photo we saw had it at that odd angle where the heads looked broader than they were long - the 360 view changes all that.

Athelassan
28-09-2013, 09:39
I like the figures, although they've retained some of the uglier models from the old range, which is a shame. I'm thankful that we didn't get an Avatar of Khaine or anything silly like that, too.

But I also can't help but feel the Dark Elves have got a bit shafted here, especially compared to High Elves. Does the addition of the Sisters of Slaughter and a (relatively uninteresting) core infantry swordsman unit make up either competitively or thematically for the loss of Executioners and the Black Guard? It looks like the Dark Riders are gone too. Dark Elves now have six infantry types available, plus the Shades as skirmishers, which means they've got the same number of options as the High Elves, but they've only got one cavalry type to the High Elves' three, and no chariots at all (High Elves have three, one of which flies). They're roughly evenly matched in terms of artillery and ridden monsters. Do the independent monsters, war wagons and harpies make up for the disparity elsewhere? My instinct is no, but I guess people might disagree.

I do also feel that this release showcases what I've felt for a little while to be the problem with the dual kits and that the cart is being put before the horse. Dual kits are a great idea, but it seems at times like extra options are being added to a kit for the sake of it. The Kharibdyss, for instance, was clearly designed from scratch to be compatible with a hydra, and the same goes for the Medusa. They're not bad models by any means, but are they better than they would have been if made as independent sets, and would anyone have missed them if they weren't there? Likewise, I'm not sure that losing the Executioners/Black Guard to gain the Sisters of Slaughter (who are also clearly a "what can we turn this kit into?" creation) is a good trade-off.

The pricing is much as ever, although I did throw up a little in my mouth when I saw the price of the Witch Elves.

It's a good release on the whole by GW's standards, but it is also fairly typical in lots of less good ways.

Edit: Oh, I see the Executioners/BG (and hopefully Dark Riders and chariots) are rumoured to be out later, in which case I reservedly take back some of the above. That does also open the door for more stupid new unit choices, though, so I'm a little wary.

ltsobel
28-09-2013, 09:41
I've just come into some money so was going to splash out on a new army. I was really excited about the new release, saw the new look miniatures and had mixed feelings, some looked great and some were so-so.

Having had a look at the prices its put me off getting them entirely, instead ill just hunt around ebay for someone selling off their old stuff.

Kakapo42
28-09-2013, 09:54
Hmmmmmm.....

I think I'm going to have to give this release an overall 'meh'. Not too bad, but certainly not fantastic either.

I seem to be in the minority, but I actually don't like the new Cauldron of Blood (it probably helps that I liked it much more as a static edifice). It looks too flimsy for my liking. Fortunately though that largely seems to come from the gap-stairs, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix by simply filling them in with greenstuff (for solid stairs). Same for the Gorgon-mobile.

The new Hydra... dear oh dear. The model itself isn't really that bad, though I still like the older one better. Unfortunately though, the poor thing is easily one of the worst victims of the new 'evy metal colour style I've seen so far. It looks nowhere near as menacing as the older one did. Though, like I say, much of the problem seems to be the garish colour scheme it has, so it should be salvageable with darker colours and some actual teeth greenstuffed in. The sea monster the kit also makes is pretty good though, no complaints there. I'd have given the other mouths teeth as well, but that's about the only thing I'd have done differently

The Witch Elves/Sisters of Slaughter are the highlight of this release for me. I never had that many problems with the older Witch Elves, but these new ones I really like. As an aside, I've never really understood why people have such issues with a limited number of poses, and static poses for that matter as well. Sure, both things are nice, but they're certainly no deal breakers for me (and I also feel that some things actually SHOULD have static poses, if it suits them). But that's for another discussion I think.

The basic troops are ok. I quite liked the older ones, so I'm glad they didn't deviate too far from them.

This release does however have me even more terrified for what might become of the Wood Elves though...

Spider
28-09-2013, 10:09
Personally I am impressed, I love the Cauldron (so many options) and having never used a Hydra I might just get this new one.

But those Witch Elves, lovely as they are...can anyone see anyone buying them? Apart from maybe the odd box for the Sisters of Slaughter (whatever they are).

But given that my Dark Elf army was just about my first army from the mid-90's and even though many of the models look a bit crap by todays standards, no way am I tempted to re-buy a bunch of stuff.

Apart from that Cauldron.

Maybe.

Also, Shadowblade...I like model as a piece...but as a gaming model? I spy much frustration and snapped plastic with him.

And one more thing (Columbo voice) Hellebronne. Weird hair aside, I love her. And she will be mine, even if only herself bought via ebay.

Oh yes. She shall be mine.

lbecks
28-09-2013, 10:16
The warriors are pretty weak sculpts. Weird faces, head attached to bodies. Does anyone know who sculpted them? GW has made half a dozen elf standing around in armor kits, both monopause and multi pose, and this one is the worst looking one.

Kakapo42
28-09-2013, 11:13

I agree the hair could have been done better. I don't think the colours the studio ones are painted with helps, but at the same time I do think it looks far too chunky. But then it could just as easily be fixed, even if by simply painting extra detail on.

As to unit sizes, it's effectively a metagame thing from what I see. No-one ever forces you to use massive 20-30+ units, if you only want a small band of 10 or so, then you can still very much field one of about 10 or so.

Litcheur
28-09-2013, 14:57
I agree the hair could have been done better.
Maybe not. Maybe they did the best they could do, because they had to cope with the limitations of plastic.

As to unit sizes, it's effectively a metagame thing from what I see. No-one ever forces you to use massive 20-30+ units, if you only want a small band of 10 or so, then you can still very much field one of about 10 or so.
I do agree, it's a metagame thing, with a different metagame, you wouldn't have to field 1 unit of 30. But 3 units of 10. :o

The mix of power creep and army size increase is definitely not a metagame thing, it's created by the army books themselves. For a given amount of points, you used to field 10 minis. Now you can field 15 or even 20 of them. And you have to buy more minis.

Lets have a closer look at some entries of the 5th and 7th editions Dark Elves army books...
Level 4 Sorceress : -68 pts between 5th and 7th.
Black Dragon : -130 pts.
Spearman : -5 pts.
Cold One Knight : -15 pts.
Dark Rider : -10 pts.

warplock
28-09-2013, 15:19
I think it's a great release, but probably not the best ever, as two things irk me: the re-done core troops, and the Hydra. I feel the MONO-POSE core troops are completely unnecessary. They are an improvement over the old models, but not enough of an improvement to justify them. It would have been far better to just release a sword-arm upgrade pack for the Warrior set and leave it at that. This would then have freed them up to sculpt some new cavalry concept or, ideally... create a new monster that isn't visually almost identical to the hydra. It has different heads and some different spikes/ webbed tail thing, but it's the only other multi-headed snake-necked beast in Warhammer apart from the Hydra, and so in that respect it treads on the Hydra's toes waaaay too much. Having both of these snakes critters in the same army, with the same pose, is just unnacceptable in my opinion. Let's face it, the Kharibdyss could just be a reconceputalised Hydra. I do much prefer the Kharibdyss to the Hydra sculpt, because of the bad Hydra heads, but I also agree with others who have said that viewed from the side the Hydra's heads are not nearly as bad. It's mostly the lack of teeth and the sock-puppet-esque vibe that its happy open mouths give off that ruins the model.
Apart from that, what a great release. Book artwork is great (suck on that, Tomb Kings, Orcs, and Empire), new witch elves are great and the Sisters are AMAZING, possibly my favourite infantry models ever. Cauldron is perfect and so is the medusa, can't wait to find out what that mirror does!

Sotek
28-09-2013, 15:32
Was going to buy dark elves, now there's no chance due to the stupid pricing.

Beastlord
28-09-2013, 15:39
Hmmm, very excited about this release and its okay... but still a little disappointing..
Like the core troops although I did laugh at the descriptions of the swordsmens "slender duelling blades" since the weapons on the models are more like "fat cricket-bat blades"
Also don't understand why they have to give everything such a childish name now - what was wrong with spearmen?
Quite like the cauldron/bloodwrack although I do think it looks too fragile.
Hydra is better than the last one but then that was one of the most atrocious models released in years so not saying much. Still wont buy it. Like the karibdyss option better.
Witch elves do not do it for me - technically okay I suppose, but soft plastic details and only 5 bodies + bad poses mean I still wont buy them. Also, I hate the multiunit kits. They clearly invented the Sisters purely so they could have another unit in that box. They are practically identical to witch elves in every way, whats the point. Lazy and boring.
SO a few nice things but I really hope they do better with the next wave. And PLEASE do executioners and BG as separate kits :( (I know they wont)
I think my main problem is that as 8th goes on I like their stylistic direction less and less. Really feel that GW cannot claim the "best toy soldiers in the world" any more. They just aren't that good...

barjed
28-09-2013, 16:07
Edit: Oh, I see the Executioners/BG (and hopefully Dark Riders and chariots) are rumoured to be out later, in which case I reservedly take back some of the above. That does also open the door for more stupid new unit choices, though, so I'm a little wary.

They are confirmed, you can see pictures of Execs and BG in the rumor forum and a sneak peak of the Riders. 40K Radio has been spot on, which means we'll get Execs/BG, Riders/Warlocks, a chariot dual kit and a hero.

As for the release - I think it's fantastic. I also think that pricing is almost right, with the exception of Witch Elves. The CoB takes the cake, being absolutely packed with content - you get the chariot, Death Hag, Crone (glorious model!) and a Medusa, all of which can be assembled as standalone characters. The new warriors were clearly designed with simplicity in mind - quick to assemble and paint. You can read the designer's notes in the new WD, he says he wanted them to be similar in their minimalism to the new LSG (also his design), because he thought that approach worked.

In the end, I think the art lead on the redesign has done a terrific job. The aesthetic that was put forward by the amazing Jes Goodwin with CoK has been worked upon and unified across the board. With the new wave coming next months, DE are going in the footstep of their space brethren - they are going to be the first army (okay, maybe second after Ogres) to be almost uniform in quality and execution. Great!

Spider
28-09-2013, 18:03
Was going to buy dark elves, now there's no chance due to the stupid pricing.

Apart from the silly expensive ladies, exactly what is suprising about the pricing?

It is exactly as obvious as an obvious thing.

I'm not disputing that it is expensive, but what were you expecting?

Max_Killfactor
28-09-2013, 18:09
I the models a lot, but not enough to replace what I have. I'll be slightly jealous of the new Dark Elf armies out there.

I prefer the old witches as a unit though. The new ones might be better individual models, but they look silly ranked up imo.

Infern0
28-09-2013, 18:40
I love the look of everything (War hydra... Yeah, I`ll sculpt the teeth myself, I don`t have that much pride).
But! I feel a bit.. Lied to. You see, we get something between monopose and actual multi-part PK. And that`s EVERYTHING!(with an exception of CoB). Dear God, I hope that execs and BG are not the same deal as warriors: heads and arms different, the rest isn`t. + warlocks/DR. I love to convert stuff.. I`m a warhammer hipster - my army has to look as unique as possible (from basic head swaps to regiment poses and color pallet). Yeah, it`s plastic blablabla, but HOW MANY MORE TIMES IS IT EASIER, WHEN IT`S ACTUAL M-PPK!
Love the WE, love the sisters, love the CoB, I even like the kadkjsdfhgsdfg, but damn it! When I`ll have both: a hydra and the second monster, their simmiliarity`ll start to stand out!

For me the 8th ed releases go in this order (from amazing to bad):

-OK
-DE Haven`t seen the releases, that are due to next month, so it`ll has high chances to swap with OK
-VC
-OnG
-LM
-TK and Woc
-DoC
-Empire
-HE

Avian
28-09-2013, 19:49
I think it's a reasonable release - some great kits (CoB), some awful (Hydra) and a lot of okay ones.

Shadow_Steed
28-09-2013, 19:52
I am happy with the most important thing: New and fresh Core troops!

Dreadspears looking great ranked up, sinister and disciplined.

As for the Witch Elves, I hope with all my heart that no one in the entire world buys even a single box of them.

HereComesTomorrow
28-09-2013, 20:23
I am happy with the most important thing: New and fresh Core troops!

Dreadspears looking great ranked up, sinister and disciplined.

As for the Witch Elves, I hope with all my heart that no one in the entire world buys even a single box of them.

Unfortunatly all the Daemon players will buy them to be Daemonettes. Including me. The price is appalling, but look at the current horrid plastic daemonettes and the price of Diazanettes.

For nice looking female models that price is worth paying that don't betray G-Dub loyalist sensibilities, they the best alternative I've seen. Besides, I can get a unit of 20 out of that easy with unit fillers.

As for the rest of the release 8/10, it okay. I don't like the Sisters of Slaughter or Hydra. Spears and Bloodwrack are okay, nothing that makes me go "Whoa". The medusa is nice but FAR from "the best model ever". Aside from the Witch Elves and Kharibdyss, stuff is nice but not amazing.

Thorin Hubertson
28-09-2013, 20:31
I wonder what the wheels on the cauldron are meant to represent. Does that thing move? How does it do that, moves it by itself or is a unit needed to push it like the Skaven-bell?

Fear Ghoul
28-09-2013, 20:32
I think the Witch Elves that come with the Cauldron of Blood look much better than the standard Witch Elves, because they are standing comparatively normally rather than performing some kind of acrobatics routine.

I suppose we have to agree to disagree.

The plastic minis are crap when we're talking about women and their hair : daemonettes, witch elves now... No wonder why GW is so reluctant to release the Sisters of Battle, they will probably look terrible.

Just have a closer look at a bret damsel, and her hair. Even the minis from the 90s looked better than these plastic minis. Oh, by the way, they were twice as cheap.

One need only look at the two previous incarnation of Witch Elves to see that simply being cast in metal/resin doesn't make hair more detailed by default.

The warriors are pretty weak sculpts. Weird faces, head attached to bodies. Does anyone know who sculpted them? GW has made half a dozen elf standing around in armor kits, both monopause and multi pose, and this one is the worst looking one.

I'm not really seeing the problem with the faces, and I certainly can't understand why you think the Dreadspears are worse than the current High Elf spearmen.

The mix of power creep and army size increase is definitely not a metagame thing, it's created by the army books themselves. For a given amount of points, you used to field 10 minis. Now you can field 15 or even 20 of them. And you have to buy more minis.

Lets have a closer look at some entries of the 5th and 7th editions Dark Elves army books...
Level 4 Sorceress : -68 pts between 5th and 7th.
Black Dragon : -130 pts.
Spearman : -5 pts.
Cold One Knight : -15 pts.
Dark Rider : -10 pts.

Points increases or decreases are army and unit specific, and not necessarily indicative of any long-term trend. For instance, the points cost of Vampire Count core units in 7th edition was exactly the same as in 4th edition. Each edition is it's own game system anyway, so the points cost for one edition shouldn't necessarily be used for the next.

andyg2006
28-09-2013, 20:34
...It's mostly the lack of teeth and the sock-puppet-esque vibe that its happy open mouths give off that ruins the model...

All throughout today, I've been trying to recall what the Hydra reminded me of and Warplock has hit the nail right on the head...definitely a sock-puppet (and/or the "half-asleep" Orc Wyvern from an edition -or two?- ago).

For me, the release isn't so great in and of itself (Dark Eldar Wyches as Witch Elves/Sisters makes loads more sense), but I think there could be a few used for the Cauldron kit outside of a Dark Elf army:
Khaine statue as a 40K Eldar Avatar? Staircases used in diorama's (e.g. inside a Dark Elf castle/Dark Eldar Kabal throneroom)? Medusa as some kind of Slaaneshi Hero? The Medusa's mirror seems to be perfect for use as a banner for Sigvald The Magnificent's unit from Warriors of Chaos? etc.

TheDungen
28-09-2013, 20:40
are we sure the dreadspears aren't multipart? that they haven't just chosen to model their dreadspears in a static manner? If so it's disappointing non multipart plastics is something I really loathe. (for an example I hate the current plastic dwarf warriors with a burning passion)

As for the hydra I don't see the problem, it looks more snakelike than dragon like and the pose might be a bit awkward, but the heads remind me of thulsa dooms snake form in conan. The eyes could be a bit bigger though. The things I don't like about it is the fins that makes no sense considering the fact that it's otherwise a multiheaded snake with legs. oh it should've had fangs too.

Drasanil
28-09-2013, 20:45
are we sure the dreadspears aren't multipart? that they haven't just chosen to model their dreadspears in a static manner?

Why not just check the sprues for yourself on the GeeDubs website and find out?

HereComesTomorrow
28-09-2013, 20:49
You get to glue on the arms and one body you even get to glue on a head!

I don't mind tbh, the Skaven clanrats are the same and painting 40 of the same model will always be tedious. They do rank up MUCH easier than the previous clanrats and that alone is a huge pro vs the con of monopole.

TheDungen
28-09-2013, 20:53

Or you could save me the effort of digging through all the 102 pages of comments of the rumour thread and just give the the link.

Drasanil
28-09-2013, 20:57
Or you could save me the effort of digging through all the 102 pages of comments of the rumour thread and just give the the link.

Or you could just use your head and go to the GW website in the warhammer pre-orders section:shifty:

TheDungen
28-09-2013, 21:07
Oh gee dub means GW. Where I live we read it out as Ge we rather than gee dubbel you.

Edit: ok yeah i would've preferred separate heads and separate bodies but on the other hand they look very good. I would have liked some kneeling legs though so i could make cityguard with kneeling spearmen in front of crossbowmen. Seems to be very few parts on that sprue. Usually GW sprues comes loaded with extras.

Avian
28-09-2013, 22:16
I wonder what the wheels on the cauldron are meant to represent. Does that thing move? How does it do that, moves it by itself or is a unit needed to push it like the Skaven-bell?

It's a chariot and it can move. Supposedly it can even march. And it can join units. Thus if it joins a unit it can apparently move at their pace. Whether it can move if it hasn't joined a unit we don't know.

Xerkics
28-09-2013, 22:37
I dunno about best release i was waiting for all the metal minis to be plastic first like executioners black guard etc so on and only witches went plastic. It looks fine in general but the new hydra model is truly awfull it looks like a lazy resculpt of a warriors of chaos beastie in that the pose seems suspiciously same awkward pose.

Bloodknight
28-09-2013, 23:03
Is it just me or do neither the witches nor the warriors actually look better than the last ones? They look like 5th edition models, slightly modernized, and in case of the witches that's not a good thing, IMO. The warriors are just as boring as the 6th edition models, still hamfisted, but even more clony. Disappointing.

Fear Ghoul
29-09-2013, 00:58
Is it just me or do neither the witches nor the warriors actually look better than the last ones? They look like 5th edition models, slightly modernized, and in case of the witches that's not a good thing, IMO. The warriors are just as boring as the 6th edition models, still hamfisted, but even more clony. Disappointing.

The Witches definitely look much better. They at least look like (idealized) women, rather than the older versions which were for the most part hideous. Several of them have heads larger than their waists, and several more have random muscle tonage running down their bodies, oddly shaped mouths, and foreheads you could grate cheese on.

Elodin
29-09-2013, 01:15
If we were just looking at this months release, I would say it was on part with most of the others. However since DEs are apparently getting a 2nd month worth of models, I would say this could be one of the bigger Fantasy releases yet. Despite that I don't really think it's one of the best though.

Personally I liked the old Hydra much more than the current. I would have been happy if they kept a similar design and just made it plastic. I also don't really love the other MC (Though I still like it more than the Hydra option.)

The Witch Elves look Dynamic which is great, but $60 a box is crazy. Yes, I realize it comes with the bits to make Sisters of Slaughter, but at the end of the day if you just want Witch Elves you're going to be paying a lot of money to get a large unit of them.

The Dreadspears box was another disappointment for me. The models look like slightly updated models rather than something new. Although their static in pose, at least the models look nice and they'll be easy to rank up, so that's something. I just think it's a little sad that Empire can get State Troops for $29 and that comes with just as many options, at $6 cheaper (Along with being more dynamic looking)

I can't really complain about the Altar of Khaine. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it isn't drawn by anything. Maybe it can be pushed or maybe it flies about on it's own accord, but I would have preferred something pulling it. That being said, I think it's an amazing kit and GW really did a great job with it. My only complaint really is the Bloodwrack Medusa, simply because it's not really a family friendly model. (Yes yes I know it's not THAT big of a deal, it's still a hard thing to explain to your GF or mom.)

Shadowblade is just amazing. It is seriously in the top 5 coolest models I've seen. I'm not even going to run DEs and I'm thinking about buying him just because he is that awesome looking.

Overall I think it's a decent release. DEs sorely needed more plastic models and I'm happy to see them getting some love. I wouldn't say it's the best release ever (To be honest, I'm biased and would say Empire had a pretty nice release) but it was still good and I'm happy for the DE players out there.

Fizzy
29-09-2013, 01:25
Mehh. Nothing special. One FW fantasy model is cooler than all of these together.

Kakapo42
29-09-2013, 01:51
My only complaint really is the Bloodwrack Medusa, simply because it's not really a family friendly model. (Yes yes I know it's not THAT big of a deal, it's still a hard thing to explain to your GF or mom.)

This is true, but on the upside at least it's just one small detail that makes it particularly risque, so it should be easy to cover it up with a quick coat of Liquid Greenstuff (or other such substance). Plus you can simply never use the bits and hope no-one ever stumbles on them.

Back to the main discussion, I'm still not sold on the weird compound-word names that keep being given to units.

Halbeard
29-09-2013, 02:26
Posted in wrong forum! Sorry!

cyberspite
29-09-2013, 03:18
Mehh. Nothing special. One FW fantasy model is cooler than all of these together.

QFT. I can't really say there's anything in the release (yet) that makes me want to go out and buy it.

Spearmen / crossbows are an improvement over the current ones, but that's not really much of an achievement, and not being a multi-part kit is disappointing.

Not a fan of either monster or the cart things, the medusa and hellebron wouldn't be bad as stand alone models though, without the staircase on wheels.

Witches / sisters are ok, I particularly like the masks, but some of the poses are bit OTT and doesn't look like there's much room for mixing different arms and bodies, at least not easily anyway.

Shadowblade is quite good though.

Not looking great for the second wave either, from what I've seen I much prefer the aesthetic of my current executioners and black guard, again not terrible models but certainly not great.

Oh well, I guess you can't please everyone, and lots of people do seem to like the new stuff. I'm just hoping I like the new warlocks / dark riders.

Infern0
29-09-2013, 08:12
My only complaint really is the Bloodwrack Medusa, simply because it's not really a family friendly model. (Yes yes I know it's not THAT big of a deal, it's still a hard thing to explain to your GF or mom.)

Sorry, but you`re tone of those people, that forced to turn diaziannetes into these punk fishes we get now. Everything get`s family friendly in GW. What was the last thing that got released and had a slight cleavage? I`m not saying, that it`s a vital ingredient in the miniature buiseness, but it sure has it`s advantages(no,no not looking at nipples):the minis itself give an illusion of being for grown ups, GW sculpters have more freedom, as does the fluff. You`re not cheating on your GF with medusa, you`re likely not to be younger, than 16, so what`s the problem?

Kakapo42
29-09-2013, 08:22
Sorry, but you`re tone of those people, that forced to turn diaziannetes into these punk fishes we get now. Everything get`s family friendly in GW. What was the last thing that got released and had a slight cleavege? I`m not saying, that it`s a vital ingredient in the miniature buiseness, but it sure has it`s advantages(no,no not looking at nipples):the minis itself give an illusion of being for grown ups, GW sculpters have more freedom, as does the fluff. You`re not cheating on your GF with medusa, you`re likely not to be younger, than 16, so what`s the problem?

I think the problem might be with perception. Sure, you, me and the poster might all be sensible mature people, and fully understand that such models have no bearing on anything in real life, but other people outside the hobby, with little to no understanding of tabletop gaming or miniatures in general, and whose knowledge will likely primarily come from less-than-accurate sources, Hollywood depictions and general first impressions, might jump to different conclusions about the hobby and the hobbyist themselves if the first thing they see is such potentially offensive models. If that makes any sense.

Not that I'm advocating for everything to be family friendly mind you (I too preferred the previous Daemonette models), I'm merely playing devil's advocate and pointing out why such a reaction might be made.

Athelassan
29-09-2013, 12:12
Back to the main discussion, I'm still not sold on the weird compound-word names that keep being given to units.
Oh, good grief, yes. It seems to be a feature of 8th edition, and it seems to get worse with every release.

The only explanation I can think of beyond a bout of crazy in the Studio is that GW can trademark their weird new compound names and therefore stop people marketing independent products as matching figures. You probably can't trademark "wraith" or "Dark Elf Spearman" but you probably can with "Hexbanewraith" or "Darkbloodshardspear". That all the names end up sounding stupid and nobody's going to be able to remember them anyway is an unfortunate side effect.

Tuttivillus
29-09-2013, 13:29
Maybe not. Maybe they did the best they could do, because they had to cope with the limitations of plastic.

Those chunky hair are not material limitations . Go and check plastic brettonian pegasus for hair and feathers. Go on , do it. And that is an old mini. It's the CAD limitations ;)

Anyway this release will force me to buy load of metal wardancers and other some Wood elf stuff.

And general observation: is it only me who thinks that because of the shape of the stairs those lovely chariots should be called Pussywagoons? :D

Tupinamba
29-09-2013, 13:50

I agree with all the rest of your post.

But this part is an attitude that always amazes me. Are skulls, torture, blood and ultraviolence any "family friendlier" than some breasts on a female monster?

Shadow_Steed
29-09-2013, 14:17

I usually never bicker over forums, but this post seriously gave me cancer. "Family friendly"? The whole game is about annihilating your opponent, in what sick world is a bare breast of a monster worse than a huge deamon slamming into regular troopers decimating them to bloody shreds?

And also, I think the LEAST thing a gf or mom would question is a bare breast. I think the pricing is much more of a hinder than any "nudity" as it were.

Tarliyn
29-09-2013, 14:31
I usually never bicker over forums, but this post seriously gave me cancer. "Family friendly"? The whole game is about annihilating your opponent, in what sick world is a bare breast of a monster worse than a huge deamon slamming into regular troopers decimating them to bloody shreds?

And also, I think the LEAST thing a gf or mom would question is a bare breast. I think the pricing is much more of a hinder than any "nudity" as it were.

I can see what he is saying. I don't necessarly agree on this exact minature due to the previously mentioned monstourous nature of the model and some of the source material that was used as inspiration for the mini. But I have a couple miniatures that I own and Ll they do is sit in my foam and painted and all due to a bit of nudity. Gamers have enough stigma going, lol, without adding perverts to it as well. Plus there aren't very many models where a small amount of clothing rather than having it bared would really make the model any worse.

The exact model in question isn't a problem for me but I can diffenitly understand where he is coming from.

Bloodknight
29-09-2013, 14:35
Probably a cultural thing. In Europe the stigma is in the violence, not the nudity, in the US a tit is a problem unless a chainsaw cutting it off is present in the picture, too. ;).

The Witches definitely look much better. They at least look like (idealized) women, rather than the older versions which were for the most part hideous. Several of them have heads larger than their waists, and several more have random muscle tonage running down their bodies, oddly shaped mouths, and foreheads you could grate cheese on.

I don't know, the new ones look so flat and weirdly angular. I wish they'd go back to hand sculpting, that CAD stuff just doesn't look good. A lot of the WFB stuff in recent times suffers from that. Either that's a design decision, then WFB just isn't for me anymore (too much bling, but the craftsmanship seems lacking), or they need to hire the guy who does the Raging Heroes sculpts.
Also, the combi-kits need to stop. Way too samey, you overpay for the bits you don't use and you get 2 units that look only 75% as good as they could look otherwise because they have to fit for the other unit as well.

Soundwave
29-09-2013, 14:39
Notes taken,yes i must explain the medusa on my bloodwrack shrine upon purchase to my girlfreind and MOM...:shifty:

Sexiest_hero
29-09-2013, 14:43
Also when you play in a store, at least in the US you can run into "Red state laws". In Georga the sale of sexual devices are illegal to sale, they get around this by calling them gag gifts and personal back massagers. A bare boob could run afoul an obscenity law if the local holy man comes in to proclaim how poke'mon are the devil and his kid sees a boobie. Remember guns good boobs bad.

Sexiest_hero
29-09-2013, 14:52
And general observation: is it only me who thinks that because of the shape of the stairs those lovely chariots should be called Pussywagoons? :D

What was seen can not be unseen! If you turn the blood chalice upside down you have an x rated slaanesh chariot ready to go, just place the alter of kaine statue in a strategic position and you will get kicked out of most stores.The Medusa works well as a Keeper or DP as well.

Soundwave
29-09-2013, 15:00
Ooooh this thread got a little derailed:). Anyhow it might not be the best but would you guys say the biggest? I cant re call how much dark eldar got but it was months apart right?

Litcheur
29-09-2013, 17:22
in what sick world is a bare breast of a monster worse than a huge deamon slamming into regular troopers decimating them to bloody shreds?
In our (very) sick world. :D

Blood is fine, breasts are not.

An action movie showing a hero kill dozens of henchmen with a machinegun is fine, and can be shown to our kids. :cool:
A softcore erotic movie showing two people love each other is outrageous, and isn't suitable, it could give our teenagers very, very bad ideas. :o

Make war. Not love. :D

devilmixer
29-09-2013, 17:35
so to get back to the OP, I think the two inf units is boring, I wish GW would stop making Monopose units.

the hydra is cool but I am not sure about the other monstre

both wagons and shadow blade are awsome, but it is since the inf are so boring ovre all I am disepionted, luckily I dont play DE

Fear Ghoul
29-09-2013, 18:11
I don't know, the new ones look so flat and weirdly angular. I wish they'd go back to hand sculpting, that CAD stuff just doesn't look good. A lot of the WFB stuff in recent times suffers from that. Either that's a design decision, then WFB just isn't for me anymore (too much bling, but the craftsmanship seems lacking), or they need to hire the guy who does the Raging Heroes sculpts.

There's nothing that can be sculpted by hand that can't be sculpted by CAD. In fact, CAD sculpts in theory should be technically superior, because computer programs can be more accurate and precise than human hands. For instance, GW was once known for having terrible faces on their models, which isn't so much a problem now that CAD can smooth out chins and cheek bones. As for the Witch Elves, I'm not sure what parts you mean that are flat and angular. They don't have a lot of bling on them (not that it would be bad to have bling as such). The Blood Vestals are better than the previous Witch Elves no doubt, but I'm not sure they are better than the new ones. If they were wearing bras and underwear that isn't thin bits of string, and had wider waists then I'd be inclined to call them better.

Bloodknight
29-09-2013, 18:13
Actually it's the faces I like the least on the new witch elves. The look like somebody hit them in the face with a frying pan. The silly pointy boots aren't that great either.

revenant J J
29-09-2013, 18:26
I am blown away by the Cauldron of Blood / Bloodwrack Shrine, but none of the other releases entice me.

The Witch Elves lack of poses is very noticeable, and I think overall Aragorn Marks Witch Elves are just better sculpted than Brian Nelsons. I was really hoping that they would be barefooted, not only because I think it would of emphasized their bloodthirsty, feral nature but because now there is little to differentiate them from the Sorceress.

With the 360 photos available, it is apparent to me that the new Hydra is a step up from the previous one though sadly, not by much in my eyes. I like the main body and think the heads look quite sleek when viewed side on, but the wideness of the heads becomes readily apparent when looking at the miniature from the front. This is not a design fault it is evident that Trish was going for a more serpentine look with the new Hydra I guess I was just hoping for something more reptilian or draconic. I also find the new Dark Elf Beastmasters that come with the kit uninspiring and inferior to the old ones.

As for the new Dark Elf Spearmen? Well I already think they look dated. They are a step up from their previous incarnation but only just. The faces are pretty bad, and they still suffer from big hands I mean just look at how long their trigger fingers are! And what is up with the overtly oversized sword blades!? Nothing like the slender blade designs you would come to expect from the Druchii. The spears are not great either.

I am indifferent to Shadowblade he does not seem to have much character, but maybe that is the whole point.

So yeah if I buy the Witch Elf or Spearmen kits at any point it will be to utilise their individual parts, such as the Sisters of Slaughters masks or the repeater crossbows from the Spearmen kit.

I am just grateful that the entire range is getting redone; otherwise, I would be sorely disappointed with this release since Dark Elves are the only army I collect for Warhammer.

Avian
29-09-2013, 22:34
Ooooh this thread got a little derailed:). Anyhow it might not be the best but would you guys say the biggest? I cant re call how much dark eldar got but it was months apart right?
Well, it depends on how you count it. The number of kits per month isn't particularly high and nor is the number of waves. It's mostly that we get two waves back to back that makes this special and even that's going back to what it used to be like (though back in the days, most kits would be metal).

It is the largest number of plastic kits for a single army released over two consecutive months. That's for sure.

Rakariel
29-09-2013, 23:14

I really feel the need to comment on this aswell. I do not understand how someone can think that plastic breasts on a toy model can be of any harm to a minor. There is blood, decapitation, skulls, entrails and pretty much every other form of gruesome death displayed on those miniatures, but the human anatomy, something most of us were "attached" to a significant amount of our infancy should corrupt a childs mind? Seriously? I always find this sort of argumentation funny as its mostly coming from the part of our beloved planet which sprouts the biggest porn industry.

Anyways, each to their own I guess. By the way, if I ever had a problem or even the urge having to explain why there is a plastic tit on one of my miniatures to my wife I would seriously question my sanity.

Kaos
29-09-2013, 23:32
Overall great models but the price is just insane on them witch elves. I was really interested in starting a new army after selling all my models but at the prices GW wants now I just do not see it happening. A unit of 40 witches with an altar for 194 pounds. I want a unit like that, but it will never happen unless I get really rich. Even then I might not buy them because of the price. It´s a sad thing really!

Cheers-Kaos

Utred
30-09-2013, 10:15
Personally over all a little disappointed with the release. The Witch Elves especially, I keep looking at the Raging Heroes Blood Vestals and they look a world better to me. I really thought GW would really step up and do something better. But I don't think the Witch Elves as good as the DE wyches. Cynically... I could comment on why GW have exactly priced plastics as the same prices as ultra high quality boutique white metal miniatures.

I love Shadowblade, and I'm really glad to see the warriors got redone as the Dreadspears / Darkshards / Bleakswords.

Just my opinion though. :)

Horace35
30-09-2013, 10:40
I like the models, think the prices are ridiculous & from the first few scraps of rules coming out, think DE are going to be top of the tree. Some of the stuff looks nasty (ie OP but I will hold back until I have had a proper read)

Xyon
30-09-2013, 12:00
I like all the new models that they are releasing for Dark Elfs, but my complaint (everyone has one :p) is that the High Elfs did not get any new core plastics, while the Dark Elfs are getting almost entirely new plastics for their core. Come on modelers at GW, HE core is still the same (bad) plastics from 6th edition.

Spider
30-09-2013, 13:36
Having just seen the new executioners and black guard, I like them.

But I really like the new dark riders, the new horse sculpts are awesome.

And I like the (what I am assuming) are the new horse cav option.

And we have a fleet master (with a sword peg leg lol).

Still don't see me buying much, but it is all lovely.

Gharnukk
30-09-2013, 14:36
Well most of the miniatures are great. The Hydra is the only thing that yells TERRIBLE! If the rumours are true I have a feeling
that the new Dark elves will be a huge thorn in my side. And I have a hard time knowing how to deal with them in the future.

Phazael
30-09-2013, 19:09
Yeah, if anything the general GW war on b00bs has made me go to more third party miniatures. OMG Bewbz! Must protect the children! Now paint this daemon chopping a villager to ribbons, little Timmy!

The only model I don't like in the new DE range is Kermit the Hydra.

TsukeFox
30-09-2013, 19:37
Yeah, if anything the general GW war on b00bs has made me go to more third party miniatures. OMG Bewbz! Must protect the children! Now paint this daemon chopping a villager to ribbons, little Timmy!

Lol "Hi ho everybody "

Yeah solid release but Man what happen with the Lizardmen & Tomb King release ?? *nerdrage!*

However it gives me hope for strong hope for Wood Elf release to be the Best !

Sheena Easton
30-09-2013, 20:05
In terms of number of plastic kits, possibly.

In terms of actual miniatures, I don't think its that great a release. Only the Medusa from the Bloodwrack Shrine, Shadowblade and the Dark Rider / Warlock kit excite me and even then I'd rather have had a generic Assassin or even better a Mounted Dreadlord over Shadowblade

FatTrucker
30-09-2013, 20:08
The cauldron/shrine is about as awesome as fantasy models get. Troops are ok. That war hydra is hilarious, it looks like The Bee Gees guard dog.

Prices are ridiculous. £35 for 10 plastic infantry models is several steps beyond taking the p*ss.

New rules and stuff seem ok. Pretty sure I'll be across the table from them soon enough.

Waagh Rider
30-09-2013, 20:55
From the look of some of the rumoured rules, all they'll have to do to win against some armies will be to turn up. I'm glad WE's cost £35 for 10, as this hopefully means we might not see many of them on the table....

Whitwort Stormbringer
30-09-2013, 20:55
Hmm, I'm not much of a Warhammer player these days, but I thought I'd pop in here after seeing the new releases to see what people thought. I'm actually quite a fan of the Hydra and the Kharibdyss variant (probably moreso the latter, but both are cool). I kind of see where people are going with the "muppet" heads complaint, but then I think that's been true of a lot of WFB releases for a while now.

The heads do look significantly better in the 360 view, and I think part of what's throwing people off are the scaled lips, which are clearly modeled after real reptiles anyways, so I'm not going to complain. I'm actually kind of considering getting this one, as the Kharibdyss would make an awesome mythological beast to fight against some Greek heroes. Plus it's pretty cool that they referenced an extinct shark in its main head design (Helicoprion had a similar spiral jaw).

EmperorNorton
30-09-2013, 22:06
I really like the Cauldron of Blood, as ridiculous as the concept of a stairway rolling to war may be. That looks to be an awesome kit all around and if it proves to be true that you can actually make it so you can use both variants (with the use of some magnets) I'll probably buy it.

The rest... well, let's just say I'll be happy to keep using my 5th Ed. models instead of investing in new ones.

Kuroi
01-10-2013, 03:38
But those Witch Elves, lovely as they are...can anyone see anyone buying them? Apart from maybe the odd box for the Sisters of Slaughter (whatever they are).

B.

Uhm, my first purchase for the new DE release was

4 boxes of Witch elves
The rulebook
The magic cards o.O

I'll get more stuff and change out my old models as time wears on. Paint-o-holic and plastic crack addict since forever ^^

Torga_DW
01-10-2013, 04:27
I really like the Cauldron of Blood, as ridiculous as the concept of a stairway rolling to war may be. That looks to be an awesome kit all around and if it proves to be true that you can actually make it so you can use both variants (with the use of some magnets) I'll probably buy it.

there's a deathhag who's sure, all that spatters is blood
and she's buying the stairway, to cauldron

eldargal
01-10-2013, 06:35

What war on breasts, exactly? They changed the aesthetic of the daemonettes (the bare breasts being an outlier, most daemonette sculpts were not bare breasted), Morathi remains topless, the topless Witch Elves were never released even back when topless daemonettes were and we now have a bare breasted medusa.

I bought:
Limited Edition army book (cos Witch Elves!)
Magic Cards
2 Cauldrons of Blood/Bloodwrack Shrines
2 War Hydrae/Karidbyss
4 Witch Elves/Sisters of Slaughter
2 Dreadspears/etc Going to replace the front ranks of my two big warrior hordes with new models rather than buy whole new regiments.

I will probably buy some cold one chariots with the next release.

Spider
01-10-2013, 07:02
Uhm, my first purchase for the new DE release was

4 boxes of Witch elves
The rulebook
The magic cards o.O

I'll get more stuff and change out my old models as time wears on. Paint-o-holic and plastic crack addict since forever ^^

You sir have more money than sense:)

I will stick with my ugly 5th ed ladies. They may be homely but they have personality. And as we all know personality goes a long way.

m1acca1551
01-10-2013, 07:03
What war on breasts, exactly? They changed the aesthetic of the daemonettes (the bare breasts being an outlier, most daemonette sculpts were not bare breasted), Morathi remains topless, the topless Witch Elves were never released even back when topless daemonettes were and we now have a bare breasted medusa.

I bought:
Limited Edition army book (cos Witch Elves!)
Magic Cards
2 Cauldrons of Blood/Bloodwrack Shrines
2 War Hydrae/Karidbyss
4 Witch Elves/Sisters of Slaughter
2 Dreadspears/etc Going to replace the front ranks of my two big warrior hordes with new models rather than buy whole new regiments.

I will probably buy some cold one chariots with the next release.

What numbers did you pick for your lotto win :p

nosebiter
01-10-2013, 07:29
What numbers did you pick for your lotto win :p

She most likely sold her soul to Morathi to pay for them. Not like there will be anymore releases featuring pointy ears any time soon. ;-)

eldargal
01-10-2013, 07:35
I have to admit thirty five pounds for ten Witch Elves was a bit of a blow, but they are just so beautiful.:(

Valkyrie Sky
01-10-2013, 07:42
I agree with all the rest of your post.

But this part is an attitude that always amazes me. Are skulls, torture, blood and ultraviolence any "family friendlier" than some breasts on a female monster?

Seems like most of you that counter argues about this issue are forgetting one glaring oversight... that is, you are forgetting the parents know little to nothing about the fluff or the bloody gorey narratives. What they do know is, its like Risk or DND, but with miniatures. Then suddenly they see naked body. Surely you guys understand the logic of this fact.

Avian
01-10-2013, 07:56
No, not in any way, shape or form. Not only has Little Timmy had positive experiences with breasts, he'll probably have more later. Meanwhile, he has never wielded a serrated dagger, longsword or executioner's axe, and we hope he never will.

Valkyrie Sky
01-10-2013, 08:44
No, not in any way, shape or form. Not only has Little Timmy had positive experiences with breasts, he'll probably have more later. Meanwhile, he has never wielded a serrated dagger, longsword or executioner's axe, and we hope he never will.

We are talking about female parents here. you dig?

Rakariel
01-10-2013, 08:45
Seems like most of you that counter argues about this issue are forgetting one glaring oversight... that is, you are forgetting the parents know little to nothing about the fluff or the bloody gorey narratives. What they do know is, its like Risk or DND, but with miniatures. Then suddenly they see naked body. Surely you guys understand the logic of this fact.

The fundamental difference is that parents (atleast around here) will not be upset if there is a bare breast on a model because it is, as Avian did point out, something the kids had already some experience with and will also probably have in the future again. Most of us have seen breasts. They are not something bad, they are part of the human body. A decapitated head on the other hand, displayed on numerous models, is indeed not something natural, not something a kid should see nor should experience in the future. Parents should rather be disturbed if their children see the latter than the former. If someone says a kid is better off seeing murder and mayhem than a naked body I seriously have to ask myself what has become of us.

Avian
01-10-2013, 08:51
We are talking about female parents here. you dig?

If said female parents are less concerned about lethal weaponry that might seriously harm their kids than about a part of their OWN anatomy that has been healthy and positive for their kids, don't you think there is something WRONG with their priorities? ;)

Omnichron
01-10-2013, 13:46
I already got the Blood Vestals from Raging Heroes... enough witch elves and boobs for me there :D

I think I'll keep the old Executioners as these new ones looks less elvish and more on the chaos side for some reason... Dark Rabbits, I mean riders, seems nice and with the rumored rules, I'm definitly getting more of those (And wood elf horse heads maybe...). I really want to see the new book soon though.

Commodus Leitdorf
01-10-2013, 13:52
I'm actually really impressed with this release. I figured 3, maybe four, plastic kits. Not "LETS MAKE IT ALL PLASTIC WOOO!!!" So I'll say this is probably the best Fantasy release of 8th.

....that being said, GW, if your going to make a 10 man plastic kit dual kit 70 bucks? You'd better put in enough bits to make BOTH choices in the box!....I mean holy cripes on toast!

*starts looking for old metal Witch elves on Ebay*

m1acca1551
01-10-2013, 13:54
If said female parents are less concerned about lethal weaponry that might seriously harm their kids than about a part of their OWN anatomy that has been healthy and positive for their kids, don't you think there is something WRONG with their priorities? ;)

Agreed, and in all honesty we are talking about a generation of kids who have a greater access to the internet than has ever been possible before, either that or they already own GTA V :shifty:

Soulless
01-10-2013, 13:58
Limited Ed army book - gone now so good thing i got it when i could (have all DE books up to date)
4x Wych box
1x Calduron
2x Hydra
and waiting for execs / bg - will buy 5 boxes of them and 3 boxes of dark riders

m1acca1551
01-10-2013, 14:04
Limited Ed army book - gone now so good thing i got it when i could (have all DE books up to date)
4x Wych box
1x Calduron
2x Hydra
and waiting for execs / bg - will buy 5 boxes of them and 3 boxes of dark riders

Good stuff, whilst i have your attention, i have a business proposition for you, just a cool million, you obviously have the money to burn :P

seriously though, good on you, this release is tempting, im looking forward to converting my own cauldron.

Rakariel
01-10-2013, 14:19
- Bought 2 boxes of Welfs, will "stretch" them to make 20 out of 10 (1 on 2 bases), have some old metal Welfs aswell so I should have enough for a horde. The other 10 will get stretched to make 20 sisters.
- normal book (no LE for me, just no point in paying 40 euro for a dust jacket)
- 1x Kharibdyss (no new hydra as imo the model is laughingly bad and I have 3 old hydras already which I like alot anyway)
- 2x Cauldron to build both shrines (will magnetize the Medusa so I can have 2 medusas at once if I don`t play the shrine)
- Shadowblade (just love the model)

Will definitly be buying 2x boxes of Exec/BGs as I really like the models and will net me 2 hordes together with my old metal ones, 3x boxes of Dark Riders/warlocks and 4 chariot boxes. Expensive yes, but I like the release through and through (although I think the Dark Eldar release is superior in model quality) and as DE is my main army (together with Dwarfs) I want to have lots of options for listbuilding.

Texhnolyze
01-10-2013, 18:07
I decided to make DE my first wholly painted army, so I'll try to buy and paint it in 500 pts blocks.

So I got the following as a start.
1x Limited Edition Book
1x Magic Cards
2x Darkshards to be
1x Cauldron (I will only be using the medusa at the start, cauldron will not be part of the 500 pts)

After I've planed the first 500 pts I'll compliment the units then settle for some painting while waiting for the executioners and warlocks released next month.

//Tex

Sotek
01-10-2013, 18:23
It's a bad release as it heralds the un-affordablilty of GW stuff for me. I'm still in slight shock about £35 for 10 witches.

Chain
01-10-2013, 19:16
Initial opinion from just watching the models at GW, less impressed than I were by DE 7'th .
Looking forwards to look in the book and some of the new models are quite nice though I might skip them due to how over priced they're getting( Cauldron, WE & RXB are the ones i like best)
Strange how bad the hydra and it's alternative look compared to the art on the front of the AB(which i like)
Wasn't 7'th 104 pages? Why go down to 94 and up the price 50%

DE 7'th ed is probably the AB I've liked the most from GW : Nice minitures, nice rules, nice stats, nice Items, and yes rather nicely balanced when comparing the units with each other(in 7'th) Only thing I didn't like was how overpriced Tullaris were and how GW always seemed to pick the more powerful option in the faqs(S7 stars, hydras with hatred etc)

To be honest I got rather low expectasions for the book now

stroller
01-10-2013, 19:45
is this the best fantasy release ever?

Sadly, no. It's pretty terrible. Now don't get me wrong: 20 years ago I'd have been buying the witch elves as dark eldar wych cpnversions. The trouble is, they'd still work with those old models. I LIKE my wyches, but their age is part of the appeal for me.

I'm afraid I don't like any of them. Now I won't say it's the worst release ever, but I'm not remotely tempted to get any of this range, and I haven't said that for a while.

red_zebra_ve
01-10-2013, 23:01
Getting the book in discount. Will make my own magic cards (will not pay 6$ + 9.5$ + international shipping for just 8 paper cards). Will eventually buy the sea monster, the corsair chariot and the stair altar, but will not replace my 4th edition metal minis.

Kuroi
02-10-2013, 03:38
Meh will be fun to paint something other than skaven, ogres or dark eldar for a while....Dark elves were after all my first big love ^^

Litcheur
02-10-2013, 14:10
Wow, I saw the dark riders. Look at the teeth of these poor horses... :o

And I'm pretty sure some equestrian noobs will say "they are correct, you don't know anything about horses, do you ? "

Well, I actually do. And I can tell you why these horses look like beavers. :D

Because of the length of the teeth. I've yet to know a horse with teeth more than three times longer than the width of their gums.
And look at that angle... Even very old horses don't have their teeth projected forward like that...

IcedCrow
02-10-2013, 14:24
Well in a world where hydras and dragons walk the world, it wouldn't be far fetched to imagine that the horses weren't direct cousins of real world horses and may have unique features that real world horses don't have.

Last Edition
02-10-2013, 14:25

And I'm pretty sure some equestrian noobs will say "they are correct, you don't know anything about horses, do you ? "

Because of the length of the teeth. I've yet to know a horse with teeth more than three times longer than the width of their gums.
And look at that angle... Even very old horses don't have their teeth projected forward like that...

Well seeing as their background reads they are corrupted by dark magic and they eat the dead, I don't want them to look like a normal horse. I think they look great; menacing and evil, like their masters. I can't wait to both paint and play with 2 units of five Warlocks :)

Chain
02-10-2013, 14:33

While I got very limited knowledge about horses, remember the dark steeds also eat meat(which no horse i've heard about do)
Haven't seen the new Dark riders yet unfortuneatly.

Litcheur
02-10-2013, 14:34
Well seeing as their background reads they are corrupted by dark magic and they eat the dead, I don't want them to look like a normal horse. I think they look great; menacing and evil, like their masters. I can't wait to both paint and play with 2 units of five Warlocks :)

Your teeth tell what you eat. These horses eat carrots, not the flesh and souls of people. :o

Ramius4
02-10-2013, 15:03
Your teeth tell what you eat. These horses eat carrots, not the flesh and souls of people. :o

That's exactly what I was thinking. They have flat teeth, so good luck with that supposed meat eating.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
02-10-2013, 15:13
Its got me getting excited again, which is always a good thing regarding my desire to paint an army.

Preordered at my local GW
Limited Army book (Witch Elves yay, the dust jacket will be going over my shoulder, I want the under cover art. :D )
2 Warriors (which with some converting I will mix with older bodies/heads to get forty troops)
2 Witch Elves (Might also get two more boxes in the store on Saturday? Also going to use two boxes of Wyches plus spare torsos I have with heads/arms to make my Sisters of Slaughter)
1 Caudlron/Shrine (Picking up a second on Saturday as well, after it became apparent I wanted a Medusa on foot, plus can use the spare Avatar of Khaine with some minor conversion work as a 40K Avatar for my lads Eldar allies.)
1 Hydra
1 Shadowblade

Can't wait to get hold of it all, will be aiming to get there before the Ipswich store opens on Saturday. :)

Kolsveinn
02-10-2013, 15:16
No, it clearly goes to the Warriors of Chaos. Heavy metal Vikings FTW.

[SD]Daenyathos
02-10-2013, 15:23
That's exactly what I was thinking. They have flat teeth, so good luck with that supposed meat eating.
We all have flat teeth and we eat meat.

logan054
02-10-2013, 15:50
Gotta say I really love the look of this release, sure the core look a bit static, the models are still very impressive (who knows, maybe HE will get a new core box like this!), I think my DE are going to be going on ebay so I can replace all the old models (but I should really finish painting my VC first lol), out of the release I think the only model's that doesn't really interest me are the witch elves, not that they are bad models, they are a dramatic improvement over the old one, I just don't think they are as good as the Raging heroes models (while costing about the same).

The Medusa model is awesome.

Hopefully they have got the book on the right power level now so I don't feel like a dirty powergamer whenever I use it!

The new Black guard look amazing, I don't really like the heads on the executioners but I probably won't use them anyway.

Soundwave
02-10-2013, 16:12
Gotta say I really love the look of this release, sure the core look a bit static, the models are still very impressive (who knows, maybe HE will get a new core box like this!), I think my DE are going to be going on ebay so I can replace all the old models (but I should really finish painting my VC first lol), out of the release I think the only model's that doesn't really interest me are the witch elves, not that they are bad models, they are a dramatic improvement over the old one, I just don't think they are as good as the Raging heroes models (while costing about the same).

The Medusa model is awesome.

Hopefully they have got the book on the right power level now so I don't feel like a dirty powergamer whenever I use it!

The new Black guard look amazing, I don't really like the heads on the executioners but I probably won't use them anyway.

why replace models Logan? I have kept all of mine for years and as it stands looks like the ultramarine special...even if outdated they can sometime look just as good if not better than the next release!

Kuroi
03-10-2013, 12:49
why replace models Logan? I have kept all of mine for years and as it stands looks like the ultramarine special...even if outdated they can sometime look just as good if not better than the next release!

Because the new models looks better and have finer details than the older ones?

No old models I have ever looked on par with the next release...

Bloodknight
03-10-2013, 13:16
No old models I have ever looked on par with the next release...

Depends. You should take a look at 2nd edition Catachan Imperial Guard (cool) and the plastics they released after that (*****).

Or just Empire. From soldiers to a horde of inbreds with faces like Wallace and Gromit. If I was shopping for an Empire army, I'd go with a used 6th edition army over the drivel they released after that. But that happens when GW doesn't let the Perrys do their humans.

lbecks
03-10-2013, 14:34
The chariot is pretty good looking. The carriage isn't as sleek as I thought it would be, it kind of looks like a hovercraft with its very flat and round bottom.

The dark riders look good and are a real improvement over the old ones. The alternate models would look better on the unarmored chariot horses.

The executioners are a nice redesign with a new unique look. The Black guard look ok, but the non weapon hand looks really awkward with the elbow jutting out.

logan054
03-10-2013, 14:46

The Old core models are horrible, I don't replace old models if I like them, I still have some old school marine models I use in my marine army (like the old metal landspeeders from 2nd ed).

Commodus Leitdorf
03-10-2013, 15:05

Oh jeez....It has snakes heads! Last time I checked Anacondas eat meat....just because they don't have teeth doesn't mean a bite from them won't hurt....and whose to say they need to chew anyway. Being swallowed whole while having my bones broken by a powerful jaw seems good enough to get the job done....

Bingo the Fun Monkey
03-10-2013, 15:07
Yea, massive handed bald elf syndrome's pretty much why I don't have an elf army.

Urgat
03-10-2013, 17:38
Last time I checked Anacondas eat meat....just because they don't have teeth doesn't mean a bite from them won't hurt....

That might be... because they do have teeth. Lots of them, even. They're just hidden by flaps of flesh.

Commodus Leitdorf
03-10-2013, 18:04
That might be... because they do have teeth. Lots of them, even. They're just hidden by flaps of flesh.

I should really google before I make comments about animal anatomy....but my point still stands! Even if you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there ;). They are just fashioned to look like snake heads.

Besides, if you don't like what the new Hydra looks like....well...that's what Ebay is for!

lbecks
04-10-2013, 01:09
Forgeworld should make alternate Hydra beaky heads and toothy heads.

Kuroi
04-10-2013, 01:58
Forgeworld should make alternate Hydra beaky heads and toothy heads.

Or an alternate hydra altogether ^^

Kuroi
04-10-2013, 01:59
I don't like perry miniatures.....but to each his own I guess ^^

Bloodknight
04-10-2013, 02:09
Probably. I'm also of the opinion that elves not done by Chris Fitzpatrick suck. ;).

lbecks
04-10-2013, 02:23
Or an alternate hydra altogether ^^

I like the new Hydra, it has great 3 dimensionality, but the biggest complaints are the head and chest claw. New heads would be an easy fix rather than sculpting an entirely new model.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
04-10-2013, 02:30
I like the new Hydra, it has great 3 dimensionality, but the biggest complaints are the head and chest claw. New heads would be an easy fix rather than sculpting an entirely new model.

Would the heads of the cold ones work, or are they too small in comparison?

Kakapo42
04-10-2013, 02:30

I think an upgrade kit with alternate heads and a scales plug-in for the chest area (instead of the claw) could go down a treat.

lbecks
04-10-2013, 02:43
Would the heads of the cold ones work, or are they too small in comparison?

I'm not sure, though I doubt if GW made an alternate head kit they would copy and paste cold one heads.

The Hydra looks to have a universal head connector so they could just make a couple designs if they didn't want to devote too much time making 6 new heads.

Voss
04-10-2013, 02:46
I really like the new hydra. There are sample images on iTunes for the various 'How to Paint Dark Elves' products (as a single collection or for specific units- dreadspears, witch elves and hydra). The alternative colour schemes for the hydra are a lot better. Also, you can see the fangs. There aren't many, but they are there, and the scales around the mouth are actually painted as scales, not block teeth, which makes it look a lot better.

lbecks
04-10-2013, 02:53
I really like the new hydra. There are sample images on iTunes for the various 'How to Paint Dark Elves' products (as a single collection or for specific units- dreadspears, witch elves and hydra). The alternative colour schemes for the hydra are a lot better. Also, you can see the fangs. There aren't many, but they are there, and the scales around the mouth are actually painted as scales, not block teeth, which makes it look a lot better.

This blog (http://plastickrak.blogspot.co.nz/) has pictures of it in bare plastic and I think it looks really nice. I think the snake heads are an interesting choice typical of GW doing the unexpected.

The bearded one
04-10-2013, 03:13
They do look better in bare plastic.

Man, this release is tempting.. If I hadn't just started a dark eldar army and bought way too much dark eldar in one go, I might've done dark elves at last, as I always liked their look and them being glass cannons with crazy damage output. I was always pretty attracted to the sight of giant regiments of spear elves. A sea of uniformed pikes.

Greyshadow
04-10-2013, 03:49
Nice observation ibecks. I think if I got the hydra, I'd just paint the mouths differently to accentuate the teeth. Going off the GW painted model, I'd attempt to convert the mouths. Great to see the Dark Elves bolstered with such nice new models.

Voss
04-10-2013, 03:51
This blog (http://plastickrak.blogspot.co.nz/) has pictures of it in bare plastic and I think it looks really nice. I think the snake heads are an interesting choice typical of GW doing the unexpected.
I do like the departure from the more 'draconic' hydra heads. More importantly, I like what I've heard about the lack of handlers. I'll happily leave the models off and turn them into bits for conversions, as characters, unit leaders or (potentially) dark eldar models.

Jossy
04-10-2013, 06:47
Go take a look at what the Hydra actually looks like

http://plastickrak.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/new-dark-elves-hydra-unboxed-and-first.html

Close ups of the heads and different angles of the completed model unpainted

Soundwave
04-10-2013, 15:26
They do look better in bare plastic.

Man, this release is tempting.. If I hadn't just started a dark eldar army and bought way too much dark eldar in one go, I might've done dark elves at last, as I always liked their look and them being glass cannons with crazy damage output. I was always pretty attracted to the sight of giant regiments of spear elves. A sea of uniformed pikes.

Do it Bearded one well maybe not straight away but they are fantastic to paint and your painting is awesome so i would love to see a log:).

The bearded one
04-10-2013, 19:00
But.. But... Money, time :eek:

I just started Dark Eldar :(

Soundwave
04-10-2013, 19:06
But.. But... Money, time :eek:

I just started Dark Eldar :(

Just a little box of one of the splendid core units?

The bearded one
04-10-2013, 19:07
I got a battleforce and a venom, which will probably take me ages.

Soundwave
04-10-2013, 19:16
I got a battleforce and a venom, which will probably take me ages.

Holy #### that is amazing! Again as i prefer fantasy,i would love to see your work on some dark elves but hey maybe a thought for down the track? I should also stop pestering you and get my own blog up.Time is the biggest issue atm.:(.

tenpole
11-05-2014, 19:19
However, we're really not keen on the new warriors:
1. No female bodies - real oversight here and a true shame.
(.

I thought this was a let down as well. The old kits gave a more varied model, making the models individual.

The bearded one
11-05-2014, 19:31
Do it Bearded one well maybe not straight away but they are fantastic to paint and your painting is awesome so i would love to see a log:).

If you're still interested to see them, I'm currently doing a comission of a pretty large batch of dark elves :D 30 witch elves, 10 dark riders, 10 warlocks, and in the future 30 executioners, maybe a cauldron of blood, some crossbows, chariots, etc.

tenpole
11-05-2014, 19:34
If you're still interested to see them, I'm currently doing a comission of a pretty large batch of dark elves :D 30 witch elves, 10 dark riders, 10 warlocks, and in the future 30 executioners, maybe a cauldron of blood, some crossbows, chariots, etc.

Fantastic work.