PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Founding With 6th Ed Codex

Bugaboo
24-09-2013, 16:22
This might be a difficult one in some cases, but I pondered the idea of how certain Cursed Founding chapters could be represented by the 6th Ed rules. Not sure if anyone else has tried it, or even really cares to, but I have one particular idea to kick this thread off. :D

Flame Falcons=Salamanders: Rather than a cover save, have their bodies be more inured to the flame weapons of their enemies, given as they are constantly wreathed in flame. The rest of the tactic could simply be an affinity for flame weapons, which isn't all that far fetched, really. Can anyone think of any other examples of Cursed Founding chapters which could work well with the new rules?

Gorman
24-09-2013, 22:50
This might be a difficult one in some cases, but I pondered the idea of how certain Cursed Founding chapters could be represented by the 6th Ed rules. Not sure if anyone else has tried it, or even really cares to, but I have one particular idea to kick this thread off. :D

Flame Falcons=Salamanders: Rather than a cover save, have their bodies be more inured to the flame weapons of their enemies, given as they are constantly wreathed in flame. The rest of the tactic could simply be an affinity for flame weapons, which isn't all that far fetched, really. Can anyone think of any other examples of Cursed Founding chapters which could work well with the new rules?

Hey, I have also been thinking about Cursed Founding chapters and the new Marine codex...

I've always wanted to do a Black Dragons army, and as with the Flame Falcons I think that the Salamanders rules could work. Again, the affinity to flame weaponry seems appropriate. The ability to create powerful librarians will also be appropriate for lots of the Cursed Founding chapters.

Bugaboo
24-09-2013, 23:12
Ever for about using the Raven Guard? The Dragon Claws are their assault marines, and the rerolled hammer of wrath could represent them swooping down and lopping off body parts with their adamantium sheathed bone spurs. >.>

Fangschrecken
25-09-2013, 00:32
Sons of Antaeus could be done with Iron Hands. Instead of bionics the rules would represent their more resilient physique. (The flesh is not weak! ha!)

Bugaboo
25-09-2013, 18:08
Sons of Antaeus could be done with Iron Hands. Instead of bionics the rules would represent their more resilient physique. (The flesh is not weak! ha!)

Sounds about right. xD Shame there isn't any consistent demoralizing effect to represent the Lams. And we already have the LotD in the new Dex, even if not in army form. Are they 0-1 in 6th Ed, does anyone know?

Fangschrecken
25-09-2013, 23:51
Beyond the force organization chart, there are no restrictions.

Bugaboo
25-09-2013, 23:56
Then a battle company of one of the cursed founding chapters, with all the Elite slots filled with LotD would be epic. >.> So Minotaurs... did I read right in there there are two different versions of that chapter? A cursed founding one, and one which appeared later down the timeline which were less prone to berzerkeresque psychosis?

zam2
26-09-2013, 13:22
This is a pretty slick idea, OP, now I'm kicking myself, why didn't I think of this?

Dkoz
26-09-2013, 13:40
What are cursed founding I'm not that familiar with the 40k fluff.

Grarik
26-09-2013, 13:50
the cursed founding was the 21st founding of new chapters, and a large number of the chapters founded had either seriously bad luck, suffered weird mutations, or both. examples are the Black Dragons, who had their Ossmodula zygote mutate, producing bony crests on their heads and blades from the forearm and elbows, the Fire Hawks, who became the Legion of the Damned, the Lamenters, who, while potentially cured of the black rage, became depressed and prone to really bad luck (siding with Huron in the Badab War wasn't smart either) and the Flame Falcons, who spontaneously burst into flame and turned into the 40k equivalent of the human torch, and were then almost wiped out by the Grey Knights

daveNYC
26-09-2013, 14:11
The fluff explanation was that the AdMech got it into their head to try and improve the Astartes. So they went all Frankenstein on the geneseed. They modified Blood Angel geneseed to try and remove the black rage, supposedly they also attempted to merge geneseed from different chapters, and might have even gone so far as to break out the traitor geneseed that they have stored on Mars.

And of course the whole thing ended in tears.

Bugaboo
26-09-2013, 14:44
The Sons of Antaeus would be a pretty awesome force on the battlefield, even if 6 FNP might get scoffed at due to the 1 in 6 chance, but would still be a bit better than big marines simply being "loyalist nurgle marines", like the rules had them before. The only thing that has put me off fielding them in the past is the fact that making an entire army of bigger than normal marines would be a modeller's nightmare. xD Though maybe the guys who have an interest in modelling truescale would have fun with it.

Another thing that puts me off actually trying to field some of them is the lack of any actual pictures for their chapter colors, or badges. :s This goes for the Sons and the Flame Falcons. I guess the Minotaurs use the same color and livery which has been shown across varying stuff of late.

If I could figure out how to do the Lamenters, I'd probably go with them, since they have a noted color scheme. The badge would be hell to freehand, mind. :P

So suggestions for Minotaurs. Black Templars, or Iron Hands due to their present incarnation?

Brother Alexos
26-09-2013, 20:23
If I might throw in a radically different idea here; Perhaps you could try using the Chaos Space Marine codex?

Before you cry "Heretic!" let me explain: In an old Chapter Approved (A series of articles in WD that gave new rules for army lists and units for in-game play (Its where tue All-Deathcompany list came from)) there was an army list for the Cursed Founding chapters, along with a few special units. The overall special rules were something like:
-Cursed Founding units do not have "And They Shall Know No Fear"
-Cursed Knights: A special unit of Marines not afflicted with the Curse of the chapter, but have other, psychological issues.
-Abominations: units of Marines so lost to the Curse that they are near Beasts. They were described as being used like the Death Company of the Blood Angels. They used a table for Combat much like Ymgarl gene-stealers.
-Cannot ally with Space Marines (I believe there was an exception to this though)

Now, the Chaos Marine Codex offers all of these things. Their Marines have a lack of "And They Shall Know No Fear", access to Cursed Knight equivalents (Chosen) and Abominations (Possessed and Spawn), as well as the variety to make each Cursed Chapter. For example:

Flame Falcons: The Icon of flame, combined with as many flamers and meltas as possible, give you a good start, plus the Burning Brand of Skalathrax will be a nice addition to the Lord of this force.
Sons of Antaeus: The Mark of Nurgle and Plague Marines for the especially afflicted. 'Nuf Said.
Lamenters: Icon of Despair, Raptors and such along with an allied detachment of Death Company. Or Berzerkers.
Legion of the damned: Take Tzeentchian unit upgrades and Aura of Dark Majesty, with al allied SM detachment fir the actual unit.
Black Dragons: Warp Talons and Cultists all the way! You may look at the Cultists funny, but if you read the Deaath of Antagonis it describes the Black Dragons having Citizens scared out of their minds being herded by Black Dragon units.
Minotaurs: Mark of Khorne all around for these guys, as they are known for their brutal assaults.

To me, using the CSM'dex is the best way to go about this, because you can represent a lot more of the origunal rules.that, and stories can evolve from using less "Kosher" units. For example, I could see the Mutilator entry as an Assault Terminator gone mad, or Cultists being Aspirants like the Black Templars use in their Crusader Squads. The only thing you need avoid are Daemon Engines and Spawn. It may not be the best choice for it in terms of competitive gameplay, but it is a fluffy, accurate way to game with Cursed Founding chapters.

Fangschrecken
26-09-2013, 20:27
For Minotaurs I 'd go with Black Templars until Forgeworld brings the badab war books into 6th ed.

Bugaboo
27-09-2013, 23:06
Just had a re-read, and seems the Sons wear Grey and Black Power armor, so suppose their chapter badge could depict some sort of Earthbound half giant. Which makes sense for the chapter name and theme.

As for the Minotaurs, yeah, it seems that their present incarnation could just as easily fit the White Scars;

"The Chapter now preferred to deploy a vanguard to pin their enemies in combat, then use fast units to encircle them to ensure there can be no escape before bringing in the full weight of the Chapter's firepower and heavy armour to crush the foe without mercy. Still highly autonomous, the Minotaurs go where they are willed by the needs of the Imperium but now seem far more content to operate within the structure and command of the Imperial war machine than the Chapter's distant history suggests."

i.e., head into combat with their tactical squads, assaults, and vanguards, tie the enemy up in assaults while the bikes and heavy armor moves into position, escape combat with H&R, then blow the crap out of the enemy. >.>