PDA

View Full Version : New approach to the hobby

lisaundead
25-09-2013, 11:19
Ive been a hobbyist for many a year and I have a few armies that are playable and relatively well painted.

But recently, I seem to have had a shift in my attitude and approach to the game:

My main army is Ogres and I love them...Ive spent a lot of time and money building the army, painting it and I love playing with them, using differently themed and set up lists.

I also do vampires with an army I painted a few years back as well as Chaos Dwarves which are in a similar position.

But recently Ive enjoyed starting new armies as part of projects.

I recently started( 2 months agao) an O+G army (not painted any yet) as part of a store campaign and I now love playing the savage orc craziness!

And now Im about to begin a lizardmen army as part of a store "Tale of Many Gamers" campaign.

So it seems like Im getting as much fun out of chossing and starting new armies and painting new armies as I am playing games (which I still love)

Im even about to begin a 40K Iron Hands army purely as a painting project, thats how bad my project bug has gotten!!

So after all that waffle, the question is:

Does anyone else enjoy the process of starting, building and painting new armies as much as playing the game??

Thanks for your patience :)

Kakapo42
25-09-2013, 11:40
So after all that waffle, the question is:

Does anyone else enjoy the process of starting, building and painting new armies as much as playing the game??

Thanks for your patience :)

Actually, I enjoy it more than actually playing the game. Between putting together and bringing to life every unit myself, adding in little bits and bobs to make parts of it unique, themeing terrain around it and of course creating a rich and detailed background for the force, the hobby side of things is well over half the fun for me (it helps that I don't really know anyone near me that I can play games with).

Bendermanuk
25-09-2013, 19:48
I also like reading up and doing lists and comapring armies prior to actually buying anything.

jme
25-09-2013, 20:23
I love starting new projects, spending hours writing different army lists, thinking up and trying out colour schemes. This is as much part of my hobby as playing games is.

The bearded one
25-09-2013, 20:23

It's the hobbyist's rabbit-hole of despair.

I now have.. mhmm... 8 armies, only 3 of which are actually at a state where I can put down roughly an average tournament size army mostly painted on the table, and 4 or 5 are big piles of sprues languishing on my desk while invading my dreams like wailing ghosts asking to be painted, staring at me during the day with grey empty eyes in abject horror of their lack of attention while I work on yet more new stuff.

.. yeah.

A good thing I don't work at a GW shop with the associated staff-discount. I've got a manager as a friend living nearby, and I think he has 20 or so different little projects that he doesn't have the time to work on :p

bigbiggles
26-09-2013, 04:24
I wonder what their discount actually is, or how much they make to afford 20 projects

Gerod253
26-09-2013, 05:18
I know exactly what you mean dude. For me, though, right now it is kinda a unit magpie thing. I keep coming up with new ideas for themed units and its hard to keep them all straight. I've found that the unit bug usually is enough to scratch the new army bug.

m1acca1551
26-09-2013, 05:46
I much prefer the planning and execution stages of gaming plus the associated fluff that goes with my army more so than actually playing a game.

Nymie_the_Pooh
26-09-2013, 08:01
The people that know me well know that I am a black hole for miniatures. Miniatures get pulled in, but they don't go back out. I paint at my leisure which isn't all that much really, and I don't sell anything so it sort of accumulates. I have models for quite a few armies, but only consider myself as having two real Fantasy armies and two 40K armies currently. I've lost a lot of models in a move years ago and have been slowly building up a new collection since.

Hoodling
26-09-2013, 09:30
I've found myself going through a similar transition over the last couple of years. Previously I just wanted painted models on the table so I could play, but now I'm often more focused on preparing an army than I am on playing. Getting hooked on a couple of particular modelling projects seemed to be the tipping point.

I'm also a black hole for models. They say if a gamer paints all his models, he dies. If this is the only way he can die, my immortality is practically assured...

Kayosiv
26-09-2013, 09:35
Quite the opposite for me. I don't like painting, at all. I do however like how painted models look, so I paint sometimes, but it hard to find time and motivation.

I actually enjoy playing more than anything, but not really so much the game, but rather the stories that it creates. Check out my battle report thread if you want more examples. I just love the fluff and each game allows me to "live the story" by entering the Warhammer World and telling a new story of my own.

stewy37
27-09-2013, 05:26
If it wasn't for the hobby aspect my friends never would have gotten me started. I love planning and building models. I do enjoy painting and really like painted models, but it takes so much more time than actually putting them together that it often gets put off for a long long time.

Since I am so busy I don't have a ton of time to game and so list building and modeling is what I am usually able to do.

And I keep getting deals on armies. I just picked up a Vampire Counts army to start fantasy, and I have I have six 40k armies as well... None are finished... That doesn't even account for the terrain pieces that need finished and all the terrain building supplies I have.