PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here just collect and not play?

CordovaLemonSlayer
25-09-2013, 17:30
I am one of those rare few people that only collect miniatures, and doesn't play the game. Don't get me wrong, I love the 40k lore, I own tons of books, and backstory novels, I just love the whole feel of the universe, that's why I collect them just to paint them. I also tend to buy more of the old Rogue Trader stuff, and not the new stuff out today. I don't buy huge armies, I just like buying the single, cool miniatures. Back then, a lot of the figures Games-Workshop made didn't have to be used for the tabletop game, that's why there are so many awesome old single miniatures. GW would make miniatures that would actually populate the 40k universe, like the old RT601 "Adventurers." Now, Games-Workshop's standing is "If you can't use the miniature in game, what's the point in making it?" Some people, like myself, just like collecting them for their looks and charm, not for their rules and how much attack power they have lol. But I guess, only buying miniatures for collectors purposes, and not buying huge armies isn't very profitable....

Here are the RT601 "Adventures" I spoke about above. I am happy to say that I own every single miniature in this range. Just look how awesome they are. You could actually see them as people who could populate the 40k universe. Anyway, didn't mean for this to turn into a rant, just thought it was something I should say.

nedsta
25-09-2013, 19:16
I have always wanted that set of figures, I've played about 4-5 games since the release of 4th ed and two of those were intro games as my gf wanted to try it. I'm happy just hoarding my precious in my mancave and sometimes throwing paint at them.

burni
25-09-2013, 19:54
I guess I'm a bit like you CordovaLemonSlayer. I buy a lot of books (and used to buy every codex before the prices became silly), follow the rumours closely and buy and paint a lot of minis. But I can nearly count the games of 40K I've played in my entire life on one hand! I've tried to switch to military modelling (which would be cheaper!) but I just love the 40K universe.

And it's not like I've not tried to get into the game over the years but it's just never clicked. (It doesn't help that on 2 or 3 of the 'first' games I've done, the guy 'teaching' me was a win at all costs player...) I do sometimes wish I could get involved in narrative campaigns though.

I do build armies though, as I like having an army rather than just a few showpieces.

Losing Command
25-09-2013, 20:03
I only collect warhammer Lotr and don't play it. Thought that has more to do with the amount of people there are that play it around here (none :cries:) than with anything else.

Void Reaper
25-09-2013, 21:53
That Adventurers set is pretty sweet. I can sympathize with only collecting GW miniatures; over the years, the actual rules and gameplay have lost almost all appeal to me.

They're your models, enjoy them as you see fit! I love painting and terrain-building as much as I do the actual game play.

But you could do some really fun skirmish/RPG gaming with those quirky Rogue Trader miniatures. Could do up your own rules or use another set (maybe that new Judge Dredd minis game.)

ashc
25-09-2013, 22:02
I may as well just collect for how often I get to play. :rolleyes:

MR.Tea
25-09-2013, 22:12
I collect only...SM and WoC...
Never had any desire to play...plus, eaven if i wated, it would be kinda hard, considering the fact that I am only guy in my city ( eaven in whole country) that is warhammer fan...

Archon of Death
25-09-2013, 22:14
I'm a tactician and mathematician. And I tend to collect knowledge.

BasetheRuin
25-09-2013, 22:16
Same here. I have a 3000 point Black Legion army ready to go, but it only rarely leaves the cabinet. Twice this year I think. Still I check out all the forums, have a ton of codexes and read quite a bit of Black Library.

Somehow the games on the table are never as immersive as they could be. Just rolling dice to see who wins is just.. I don't know.. too clinical? Maybe I should try some campaigns, or the Horus Heresy line by Forge World. That stuff is all about background and atmosphere.

ashc
25-09-2013, 22:18
Same here. I have a 3000 point Black Legion army ready to go, but it only rarely leaves the cabinet. Twice this year I think. Still I check out all the forums, have a ton of codexes and read quite a bit of Black Library.

Somehow the games on the table are never as immersive as they could be. Just rolling dice to see who wins is just.. I don't know.. too clinical? Maybe I should try some campaigns, or the Horus Heresy line by Forge World. That stuff is all about background and atmosphere.

Oh god, Imagine what you could do with the HH range, BasetheRuin! :p

BasetheRuin
25-09-2013, 22:24
Oh god, Imagine what you could do with the HH range, BasetheRuin! :p

You flatter me sir! :)

Kakapo42
25-09-2013, 22:24
I pretty much only collect. It helps that I don't know any people near me who do play, and I have an acute lack of ways to transport my armies to the nearest GW store(s). Still, I've long since come to find that putting such collections together is well over half the fun.

It's a shame that GW doesn't do more 'non-combat' type miniatures like the Adventurers shown above. I could really do with some GW models for Imperial civilians for an Armies on Parade idea I have, but I have no idea on how to go about it.

nosebiter
25-09-2013, 22:28
I used to play. But now both 40k and warhammer have rubbish rules.

So now i mainly collect.

Although a mate and I are starting learning Infinity and Warmachine to pass the time before 9th and 7th

Cuchulain84
25-09-2013, 22:41
Like others have said, I don't consider myself just a collector but in reality I almost never play games of 40k & Fantasy despite having armies in both.

I find the level of competetiveness involved unappealing and the constant updates exhausting.

I'm thinking about moving pretty much soley into the Hobbit/LOTR game pretty much just as a collector (seeing as not many people play anymore). But what's great is that it's a really nice system for just playing the narrative scenarios in the rulebooks.

stroller
25-09-2013, 23:03
Now, Games-Workshop's standing is "If you can't use the miniature in game, what's the point in making it?"

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1600128a

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat500019a&prodId=prod1590026

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat500015a&prodId=prod1140013

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat500016a&prodId=prod1670038a

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1670042a

and of course

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat520002a&prodId=prod1130426

Theolla
25-09-2013, 23:20
Neat thread! I didn't get into 40K until 5th ed, but I'm fascinated by Rogue Trader stuff. Could you post some more older models from your collection?

I like seeing what the hobby means to different people; there's so many facets to it. It would drive me crazy to have a lot of models and not play with them in some kind of game, but I definitely understand having the collecting bug that motivates you to search for strange or unique models.

From the Adventurers pic you posted, I find it interesting how many different pirates there are. I don't really read too much about human space pirates in the current fluff. Xenos, sure, but not so much about humans. It's amusing that some of the models are still instantly recognizable. The Astropaths and Techpriest are spot on. It does feel like there's some inconsistency to their designs, though. That bandit looks like he came out of a Dick Tracy cartoon! It's amazing how they've meshed everything together over the years.

ntw3001
25-09-2013, 23:24
I've played a few games this year (for the first time since around 2008, I think), but I really just buy for modelling. I'm slowly populating a corner of the underhive with gangs, hired guns and monsters (and maybe one day civilians!). And terrain. Then I've started a Gorkamorka mob (a large and influential one, with multiple subdivisions to drive around and keep the boss' territory in order), and a Warmaster Undead army (Warmaster armies look so nice painted up). Apart from a few actual gangs for Necromunda and the Warmaster army, I don't build models with the intention of using them in games.

Dervos
25-09-2013, 23:33
I'm kinda in both worlds I suppose, I guess I do technically play the game but not much.

I got into the hobby when randomly we got in the mail a holiday catalog from citadael miniatures in the year of 2000.

I was really excited by the look of the models but didn't actually get my first models till years later since I didn't have money or a job being a kid of 11-12 years old at the time I believe it was.

I got the glam rock eldar codex, and then a year later a box of guardians were my first models. 16 guardian box, it was around 22 dollars I think (god what a bargain that seems nowadays).

Later I got the "4/5" edition codex, and got enough models to start playing a game but didn't know anybody that played it, got the rulebook too for 5th edition. It wasn't till I was in college that I found people that played the game who I become good friends with outside of 40k as well, I think I might have played around 20 games in total over the course of college because it was just whenever we all had a day off we'd have a game day or 2 of us would meet and play. None of us ever went to the store to play it just felt strange I still have not gone to a store to play(lack of facilities and the limited amount of time, plus having to watch all your stuff like a hawk and not allowed to have food drink in the store, though that just might be that one)

I've have a eldar army, chaos daemons, dark angels, sisters of battle and just started a tau army, I've owned most of the 5th edition codex and 6th edition codexes at one point but eventually just trimmed to down to what I play so now it's just my SOB army and the beginnings of a Tau empire army. I played my last game about 3 weeks ago, so I've probably played around 25 games of warhammer40k since I knew of the hobby in 2000. (Read and sold a lot of novels as well)I would love to play more but don't ever make the time to find people to go places it's played at, just that aversion to newness I guess, I used to use buying a white dwarf as a excuse to at least go to the store every month but I stopped buying WD 8 months ago and my local store closed up recently, I guess they couldnt make mall rent.

I really really love warhammer40k and would like to play more, I list built constantly and keep re-reading my codexes and rulebook but I just don't ever seem to have a chance to play it.

Woudschim
25-09-2013, 23:41
Another collector here. :)

I absolutely love the pre 1992 models made by GW, in my opinion, the modern miniatures, though very well made and detailed, lack character and individuality.

At the moment I'm focusing on orcs. I use them to play Mordheim (I don't like the game of Warhammer at all, and I think it's way too overprices for a tabletop strategy game)

SaltAndSea
25-09-2013, 23:43
I've easily spent more time putting together and painting models than playing, it's just easier to get than a game sometimes. Dark Angels are my main army but I've got models from different codices just because they look cool to paint. The Sanguinor for instance was the most fun/most rewarding model I've had.

malisteen
26-09-2013, 01:10
I collect and paint, but don't play so much anymore. Believe it or not, this has nothing to do with my rather poor opinion of the chaos codex (despite my many problems with it, and even more problems with the BL supplement, I still run BL supplement armies out of C:CSM on the rare occasion when I get the chance to play). It's mostly just an issue of scheduling. Between work and classes (trying to swap careers), I don't really have the time for more than a game every few months or three.

Ssilmath
26-09-2013, 01:17
I kind of have a mix, I suppose. I play as much as I can, though there have been long stretches without games (Not many people to play when living in downtown Doha). But I have gone driving over an hour to get in games, just to have somebody to play. However, winning is less important to me now. And even at the height of my competitiveness, I would only use and purchase models that I thought looked cool. My entire love of playing with Thousand Sons is because I like how they look.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
26-09-2013, 01:32
I haven't played for about 7 years, so... yes.

Greyhound
26-09-2013, 02:40
I have been collecting, assembling and painting for 2-3 years and played 3 games in a row a few months ago just to understand the rules.

So all in all my ratio of hours in hobby vs gameplay must be 100:1