PDA

View Full Version : What should I be watching on the televisor this Autumn?

C. Langana
25-09-2013, 19:13
Just curious, the nights are drawing in and I don't really watch TV so much as every so often eat my through a DVD box set, I thought that this Autumn,I'd like to pick a show that I can follow week to week, so what's everyone else watching? Be it in the US, UK or elsewhere?

(Also if it has more than two seasons, assume I've seen it - Game of Thrones, the Walking Dead etc etc - and no, I really don't like Breaking Bad, he was better in Malcolm in the Middle).

ColShaw
25-09-2013, 20:53
I'm all excited to catch the first episode of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." on Hulu after work today, so there's that.

My wife is big into "Once Upon a Time", a fairy-tale fantasy series which may or may not be your cup of tea.

"Castle" also just started a new season, probably its last.

Voss
26-09-2013, 00:00
I watched the pilot of 'Sleepy Hollow' yesterday. It almost made me wretch, for a lot of reasons. Little tiny bits were good (like Washington actually being a surveyor/cartographer), but the basic premises lying underneath the show are pretty terrible. For one, having the characters set up a 7 season run in the first episode... especially for a show this bad, the hubris only justifies the crushing doom of half-season cancellation.

Not sure on Agents of Shield, to be honest. The premise isn't terrible, but none of the characters grabbed me at all (though admittedly I was distracted trying to figure out who the actor we are first introduced to is. Suddenly I realized it was the same guy who played Gunn (from Angel), and everything made more sense). But still, the scientists were annoying (and are only interesting because they might as well be a gestalt person), the primary agent is made of wood, the team leader is wearing too many Dark Secret flags (and is an annoying little snot to boot). The only interesting one is the quiet one in the back, and I'm afraid her Dark Past is going to turn out to be dreadfully boring once we get to the Big Reveal. And the other one (who I shan't spoil) has all the character flaws of Buffy, Anya, Willow and Cordelia combined, but none of the charm. Frankly, given it is Whedon, I expected a weaker premise but stronger characters. (though to be fair, Marvel has put 50 years into SHIELD, so there is a lot of background already waiting)

It hasn't turned me off, and I'll keep an eye on it, but this is no Firefly. Hopefully the character interactions will pick up, and given the setting, there isn't any reason not to kill off (or simply reassign) weak characters.

ctsteel
26-09-2013, 01:37
Not sure on Agents of Shield, to be honest. The premise isn't terrible, but none of the characters grabbed me at all (though admittedly I was distracted trying to figure out who the Hooded Hero was for the first half. Suddenly I realized it was

Spoiler tags man! It hasn't started here yet. ;)

Voss
26-09-2013, 02:20
Spoiler tags man! It hasn't started here yet. ;)

Don't worry about it. The only thing I've spoiled is that the actor you see on screen at 00:29 is the same actor who played Gunn in Angel :)
The character's identity is never in question, though I realize my wording doesn't make that clear.

But I think it makes the show better if you assume it is actually Gunn.

duffybear1988
26-09-2013, 08:32
Downton Abbey - I'm a sucker for period drama even if it is a bit basic.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D does look good though.

Lothlanathorian
26-09-2013, 11:42
"Castle" also just started a new season, probably its last.

Highly doubt this. It's going to make seven seasons, easy.

Also, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was excellent, can't wait for more.

I can't wait for Grimm to start back up. Which is funny since, for the first 17 episodes of season 1, I wouldn't have noticed if it had stopped coming on.

The Highlander
26-09-2013, 14:27
I'm enjoying what's on TV at the moment. We're halfway through the second series of Wolfblood on CBBC (about a couple of teenagers who can turn into wolfs, it's very good), and things are starting to become very inserting. The TV spinoff from 'How to Train Your Dragon' started last week, it's not as good as the film but still enjoyable. And of course Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is starting in the UK tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

duffybear1988
26-09-2013, 14:59
Anyone watching Peaky Blinders on BBC1?

Karhedron
03-10-2013, 11:58
I kept my hopes in check for Agents of SHIELD which is just as well as it was a mediocre start. To be fair, it had the same problem as a lot of pilot episodes in trying to introduce half a dozen regular characters. I give it 3 stars out of 5 and hope it will improve with future episodes.

I did enjoy the scene with the truth serum though. That was pure Whedon genius! :D

Cuchulain84
03-10-2013, 12:04
Anyone watching Peaky Blinders on BBC1?

I am. It's suberb! Don't know many people who watch it though which is a shame.

ColShaw
03-10-2013, 13:49
I did enjoy the scene with the truth serum though. That was pure Whedon genius! :D

I assumed it was a placebo, to lull Skye into a false sense of security. If I'd been Skye, that would've been my assumption as well. While funny, the scene didn't really "work" for me on account of that; if a prisoner only has the captor's word on something, it's hardly useful for leverage.

Bad monkey
03-10-2013, 15:29
Avoid Atlantis, ink other way to describe it other than kak.

Blacklist looks like it might be good, and another vote for agents of shield

Morathi's Darkest Sin
04-10-2013, 07:50
Not sure on Agents of Shield, to be honest. The premise isn't terrible, but none of the characters grabbed me at all (though admittedly I was distracted trying to figure out who the actor we are first introduced to is. Suddenly I realized it was the same guy who played Gunn (from Angel), and everything made more sense). But still, the scientists were annoying (and are only interesting because they might as well be a gestalt person), the primary agent is made of wood, the team leader is wearing too many Dark Secret flags (and is an annoying little snot to boot). The only interesting one is the quiet one in the back, and I'm afraid her Dark Past is going to turn out to be dreadfully boring once we get to the Big Reveal. And the other one (who I shan't spoil) has all the character flaws of Buffy, Anya, Willow and Cordelia combined, but none of the charm. Frankly, given it is Whedon, I expected a weaker premise but stronger characters. (though to be fair, Marvel has put 50 years into SHIELD, so there is a lot of background already waiting)

It hasn't turned me off, and I'll keep an eye on it, but this is no Firefly. Hopefully the character interactions will pick up, and given the setting, there isn't any reason not to kill off (or simply reassign) weak characters.

Well Skye for me will depend on some folks rumours that Skye being such a nothing name, reveals her actual name later on in the series as Jesscia Drew. then I geek out. :D

Although in general with Agents of Shield, it'll be worth watching if you like the Avengers films, just because we know at some point stuff in the show has the potential to tie into the future movies.

danny-d-b
04-10-2013, 15:46
surprised no one mentioned orphen black yet- Realy realy interesting plot with very little revealed so far though its quite dark

agents of shield I've still got round to seeing but was let down by the trailer- what do you mean colson isn't dead!!!!

atlantis was a real let down, bit of a mythology nut and was just like, sorry what???

de Selby
04-10-2013, 16:11
In the Uk, Homeland season 3 starts this weekend (C4 9pm sunday). I'm following Agents of Shield, Orphan Black, and a few sitcoms at the moment.

Bob Arctor
04-10-2013, 21:25
Another recommendation for Orphan Black from me. Have found it more interesting than Agents of Shield so far.

Also roll on November for the various Doctor Who specials.

Lothlanathorian
05-10-2013, 21:37
Depending on how the Who specials go, I might be done with that series.

I haven't seen Orphan Black yet, but, all I keep reading are good things.

Chaos and Evil
06-10-2013, 08:29
Orphan Black is very good.

ColShaw
06-10-2013, 12:27
Liked the second episode of S.H.I.E.L.D. better than the first. I liked that they actually addressed the whole "Everyone's young and attractive" thing as a midlife crisis for Coulson. :)

Even if the treachery thing was pretty obvious to me well ahead of time.

Gossipmeng
07-10-2013, 17:50
I'll be watching the walking dead, but only because I've seen all the episodes up till now - I feel a little let down after every episode, but I just want to see how everything plays out.

de Selby
07-10-2013, 18:07
Liked the second episode of S.H.I.E.L.D. better than the first. I liked that they actually addressed the whole "Everyone's young and attractive" thing as a midlife crisis for Coulson. :)

Even if the treachery thing was pretty obvious to me well ahead of time.

Afterlife crisis!

I think the treachery thing was meant to be obvious given the flashforward to someone blowing a hole in the plane. What wasn't obvious was that the Shield agents were actually the ones responsible for that.

El_Machinae
07-10-2013, 18:53
SHIELD was awfully fun. Typical Whedon (don't get attached to anyone!). What I like about Coulson is his air of injury. He favors his chest, kinda.

ColShaw
07-10-2013, 20:16
Afterlife crisis!

Tahiti is a magical place. ;)