PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Bids, like E-bay but BETTER

cornonthecob
26-09-2013, 12:08
I've recently come across the auction website Miniature Bids which is designed JUST for selling wargaming and gaming material, it's pretty damn good. It comes with free item hosting and free image hosting, it also doesn't take any of your sale money. I urge as many as possible to use it since it's quite new but seems to be getting more and more items on it every day.

Ebay has been getting on my nerves a lot recently so I'm quite happy to find this site, does anyone have any opinions ?

shelfunit.
26-09-2013, 13:14
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?381522-GW-Toys

Better late than never... ;)

zoggin-eck
26-09-2013, 15:15

At least this one's thread title makes sense!

shelfunit.
26-09-2013, 16:05
At least this one's thread title makes sense!

That is true.

MiyamatoMusashi
27-09-2013, 11:47
GW Tyranid Hive Tyrant, 33.

Miniature Bids Tyranid Hive Tyrant, 25 (bid) + 4 shipping (saving 4, oooh! ...which is less than any number of discount sites offer) or Buy It Now for... 38 + 4 shipping, saving a grand total of -9 over the RRP.

So Miniature Bids is just another place to get ripped off, then?

cornonthecob
27-09-2013, 12:20

Miniature Bids Tyranid Hive Tyrant, 25 (bid) + 4 shipping (saving 4, oooh! ...which is less than any number of discount sites offer) or Buy It Now for... 38 + 4 shipping, saving a grand total of -9 over the RRP.

One silly quote does not a bidding site make.

Here's an example. A well painted Deluxe starter set from Antimatter games, normally $54 (35), for sale for 17.50
https://miniaturebids.com/auctions/deep-wars/antimatter-games-painted-deep-wars-ancients-of-atalan-starter/

redben
27-09-2013, 12:25

You are aware that a) the price in each individual auction is set by the seller, and b) no-one forces anyone to buy the auction instead of going elsewhere where it's cheaper?

In other news, I've set up two auctions on the site, both of them sold, and it was great not to get hit with any sellers fees.

shelfunit.
27-09-2013, 12:36

It's a 13.8% saving over retail delivered, to compare Waylands discount after postage is 9.5% and Darksphere is 15.5%. Is it more than the cheapest webstore? Yes. Is it a rip off? If you think that Wayland is a rip off, then yes, otherwise no. Now this is for the opening bid, but the website hasn't set these prices any more than ebay sets the prices of the things its sellers put up for auction. TLDR - it's not the website that rips people off, if any "rip offs" occur it's on the seller.

MiyamatoMusashi
27-09-2013, 13:20
I am well aware of how auctions work, thanks. But if the people putting up the auctions aren't being sensible... it's not any better than eBay, as the title claims.

Any second-hand or auction site are only as good as the people putting their auctions up. The only difference I see (as a buyer) between this place and eBay is that I already know I can trust eBay. This place isn't any cheaper (because prices are set by sellers, and sellers seem to have unrealistic and/or ripoff expectations of what they're selling) and there's no history of trust. So I'm not seeing how it's "BETTER".

shelfunit.
27-09-2013, 14:22
I am well aware of how auctions work, thanks. But if the people putting up the auctions aren't being sensible... it's not any better than eBay, as the title claims.

Any second-hand or auction site are only as good as the people putting their auctions up. The only difference I see (as a buyer) between this place and eBay is that I already know I can trust eBay. This place isn't any cheaper (because prices are set by sellers, and sellers seem to have unrealistic and/or ripoff expectations of what they're selling) and there's no history of trust. So I'm not seeing how it's "BETTER".

If you are the seller it's better as there are no attached fees, and if you have no history then there really can't be a history of trust. Ebay didn't have one either to start with...

redben
27-09-2013, 15:23
You've picked out one auction. There are many more which start way under rrp. I wouldn't even have bothered trying to sell my items on ebay because the seller fees would mean it wouldn't be worth my while. As it turned out, I got what I wanted for them and the buyer got BNIB product for about 40% off. Had I had to cover ebay fees that discount would have dropped to close to 30%.

MiyamatoMusashi
27-09-2013, 15:46
You've picked out one auction.

The first one I looked at, yes. The only result, by the way, that came up when I searched for "Tyranid". Yep... better and better.

I'll try it again in a year, see if it's still going, and if there's anything more on it.

redben
27-09-2013, 17:18
Sorry, I didn't realise it was the first one you looked at. Obviously it's reasonable to extrapolate everything from the first one. I'm pretty sure that's how we get our MP's. They jut count the first vote and assume everyone else voted the same way.

Scaryscarymushroom
27-09-2013, 17:44

Sure.

Well, I just bought $72 worth of PP models at $25 shipped. Unprimed, about half of them are assembled but they're metal, so who cares if they're assembled or not? It hardly makes a difference. They'll need a bit of work, because they're missing one 30mm base and two stat cards (I have an extra base and I'm trying to finangle some cards for them from bartertown or miniaturemarket - should cost about $3 to remedy these issues if I can find cards). The best deal I can find from a discount store is about $49 for the same product at 30% off.

The same seller was offloading the Orcs and Goblins army book for $5, BTW. And a rag-tag PP collection in several different states of painted, unpainted, etc. He's asking too much for those IMO, but the deal is still pretty good if you don't mind fixing the paintjobs.

Anyway, my transaction hasn't completed yet but I'm pretty excited about it. If it turns out to be a sour experience, I'll come back and tell people about it.

MiyamatoMusashi
27-09-2013, 17:55
Sorry, I didn't realise it was the first one you looked at. Obviously it's reasonable to extrapolate everything from the first one. I'm pretty sure that's how we get our MP's. They jut count the first vote and assume everyone else voted the same way.

So what you're saying is, I need to win a few thousand auctions before I can judge whether it really is better than eBay?

Interesting approach. I think that's how people work out if they're allergic to nuts too. The LAST seven hundred times they ate peanuts their face swelled up and they nearly choked to death, but they can't be COMPLETELY sure there's a pattern yet...

Come on, it's supposed to be "BETTER" than eBay. I've been looking at Tyranids on eBay, this site had one Tyranid auction which was a ripoff. An alternative to eBay? Perhaps! Another potential place to buy miniatures? Sure, OK. But let's not get carried away.

CrazyChib
27-09-2013, 19:57
So what you're saying is, I need to win a few thousand auctions before I can judge whether it really is better than eBay?

Interesting approach. I think that's how people work out if they're allergic to nuts too. The LAST seven hundred times they ate peanuts their face swelled up and they nearly choked to death, but they can't be COMPLETELY sure there's a pattern yet...

Come on, it's supposed to be "BETTER" than eBay. I've been looking at Tyranids on eBay, this site had one Tyranid auction which was a ripoff. An alternative to eBay? Perhaps! Another potential place to buy miniatures? Sure, OK. But let's not get carried away.

The site has not even been live a week. Give it a chance.

Arnizipal
29-09-2013, 02:21

Since this thread is a duplicate of the linked one I'm locking it.

Arnizipal,

++ The Warseer Moderation Team ++