PDA

View Full Version : Irons Hands Squad and CASTELLUM STRONGHOLD

Kijamon
27-09-2013, 16:46
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Games_Day_Preview_Seven.html - Pretty cool Iron Hands squad, I like that you appear to get all of the command upgrades with it though they put the vexilla on the sergeant which looks a bit off. The sergeant is a beast though!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Games_Day_Preview_Six.html - nice tile for the SM, already UM legion models showing up!

Industrial Propaganda
27-09-2013, 16:51
WOW!!!

Incredible! :eek:

Scribe of Khorne
27-09-2013, 17:04
One word.

BEASTS!

(OK the Tile is nice too)

warlordbob
27-09-2013, 17:05
The Iron hands are incredible! They'd make for fantastic Sternguard in normal lists, and are far superior to the upgrade tactical pack. The Castellum though, i'm not so sure about. It just does'nt say Space Marine to me, far to clean, not enough details, sadly.

Nazerth
27-09-2013, 17:06
Wohoo, I've been waiting for a kit like that! Wonderful marines, the armour is epic and I love that they didn't force you into any clans and left the cog marks blank. I hope Morlock Termies are in the cards soon!

Hey, I just realised they are not "Medusan Immortals" in product name, wonder if that means we'll see another non-termie IH squad kit with Massacre?

Binky
27-09-2013, 17:06
Nice, those Iron Hands are great, interesting that other legions get various upgrade packs whereas the Iron Hands get a unit made of upgrade parts. Could put together one unit of these then spread a few more sets out throughout the army.

The SM stronghold looks like it will have a few other tiles to go with it, not a particularly good defence structure at the moment, but definitely looks like it's designed to join up with some more bits.

Kijamon
27-09-2013, 17:09
Nice, those Iron Hands are great, interesting that other legions get various upgrade packs whereas the Iron Hands get a unit made of upgrade parts. Could put together one unit of these then spread a few more sets out throughout the army.

The SM stronghold looks like it will have a few other tiles to go with it, not a particularly good defence structure at the moment, but definitely looks like it's designed to join up with some more bits.

I think it's designed so you buy 4 to make a proper fortress (with no door by the looks of it! Haha)

Nazerth
27-09-2013, 17:14
I think it's designed so you buy 4 to make a proper fortress (with no door by the looks of it! Haha)

And oddball v-ramps to get between command modules! :D

It really looks like it needs at least two more tiles connecting to it to be functional as... anything.

Spider-pope
27-09-2013, 17:25
Iron Hands are getting more and more tempting as a pre-Heresy force.

MR.Tea
27-09-2013, 17:30
They remind me of some 3rd party warhammer stuff...only seem a bit...more awesome...

Naulaen
27-09-2013, 18:11
A little bit of file work and green stuff sculpting and they will be an awesome choice for legions' techmarines.

VenomBlood
27-09-2013, 18:26
This is crazy. I will start Iron Hands army, seriously.

MagicHat
27-09-2013, 18:37
FW truly is a treasure trove of cool bitz.
A bit disappointed that there is only one bionic leg, but they look very cool.
Price aint to bad either, a few pounds more then MK3 with bolters.

Surprised the majorwes haven't posted yet frankly:D

loveless
27-09-2013, 18:42
Spectacular Iron Hands - I bet they'll be playing as Sternguard in a lot of 40K lists in the future.

MajorWesJanson
27-09-2013, 18:44
Iron Hands in Mk III with Phobos bolters! And I really like the stronghold, probably the second RoB tile I plan to get after the Thunderhawk. It makes an awesome display board.

And MagicHat, I was busy writing up orders for IG wishlisting, so I didn't see this yet :D

WordBearer
27-09-2013, 18:57
Hey, I just realised they are not "Medusan Immortals" in product name, wonder if that means we'll see another non-termie IH squad kit with Massacre?Yeah, these guys are just a normal Tactical squad. The Immortals and Morlocks are gonna be their own kits.

Navar
27-09-2013, 19:07
Wait, since when do Iron Hands cut off their RIGHT hand?

In the past it has always been the LEFT hand.

Letorrs
27-09-2013, 19:11
Wow, these are great. I'm so pumped to see the Morlocks now and hopefully they'll have some interesting rules.

Infern0
27-09-2013, 19:36
Damn, those marines are great.
The best part is that you could mix the set with regular marines and it won`t look, like their armour pieces are ten millenia different. Yes, the helmets and backpacks are quite distinctive.. But the rest looks even more advanced, than the tacticals released a month ago, IMHO.

MagicHat
27-09-2013, 19:38
Wait, since when do Iron Hands cut off their RIGHT hand?

In the past it has always been the LEFT hand.

Right hand is more visible when holding a bolter, so it makes more sense from that perspective.

Squiiiiig
27-09-2013, 19:38
ah thank god, I was worried I would really like the iron hand, theyre really nice but not what I want. I want to have a proper look at the stronghold, might work with the zone mortalis stuff which would be nice

LegionX
27-09-2013, 20:48
Very nice! More goodies for the X Legion (apart from the aforementioned continuity error of their right hand being the bionic one) :chrome:

We don't yet know that bionic left hand is standard IH Legion induction practice, though the fact that all 5 squad members have bionic right arms would suggest that is the case. However the whole thing could have been retconned away, as the new SM Codex makes no mention of it... :shifty:

TabulaRasa
27-09-2013, 21:30
Why do they have to do this to me? I don't like painting black...

Nazerth
27-09-2013, 21:35
I don't mind the hand switching for a retcon. The right arm is far more visible on 90% of marines and frankly it is disappointing to go through the effort of making a bionic leftie which can only really be viewed from certain angels. My Clan Champion comes to mind... spent so much time fiddling around with the bionic arm that I didn't consider you can barely see it thanks to the pose and shield.

There is also a lot of symbolism in cutting off (what is for most people at least) the primary hand and replacing it with a machine.

I still want a bionics conversion kit, no extra guns/weapons/shoulder pads, just bionics. Would help so much for IH and successors or just any marine you want to look like has been through a lot.

Nazguire
27-09-2013, 22:03
Those Iron Hands look boss. Seriously, Forge World has outdone themselves. They have all the character I'd expect from Iron Hands: unrelenting, remorseless, machine-like, stone-cold killers.

Fizzy
27-09-2013, 22:46
I need them. The seargent looks like my father :D

Nazguire
27-09-2013, 22:56
I need them. The seargent looks like my father :D

Seven feet tall, encased in armour, with extensive mechanical augmentation?

Godzooky
27-09-2013, 23:07

Or an inch tall and made of resin... :eek:

Nice Iron Hands. :yes:

_Chimaera
27-09-2013, 23:30
I am actually liking the stronghold. For once there is some scenery that isn't packed full of skulls.

There has got to be more to it coming. It definitely looks modular.

Just a shame GW didn't produce it as a plastic kit? I have wanted a good non chapter branded space marine fortress for a while.

I will wait to see how it pans out. There has to be a gatehouse module coming and maybe even a more elevated stronghold type piece?

Fizzy
28-09-2013, 00:25

Of course! Haha facial structure :)

I will probably buy 2 and mix into 2 squads.

Oboc
28-09-2013, 00:51
well, i know how to convert iron hands honour guard now without having little floating banners and bling everywhere

Fizzy
28-09-2013, 01:29
well, i know how to convert iron hands honour guard now without having little floating banners and bling everywhere

Not a banner. Its a vexilla. And its not floating. The pole attached to the backpack is just covered by the tubes and servo skulls.

Just needed to point it out as a HH geek ^^

Ursus
28-09-2013, 02:23
Drop the shoulder pads and will mix these in with my Death Guard. Fantastic miniatures!

Oboc
28-09-2013, 02:47
Not a banner. Its a vexilla. And its not floating. The pole attached to the backpack is just covered by the tubes and servo skulls.

Just needed to point it out as a HH geek ^^

I know :) just meant the floating 40k back
Banners and the new fashion marines have of all vets wearing loincloths. These new models mean I can make honour guard that do not look blinged up but actually look more functional and IH like

Brother Hermiad
28-09-2013, 04:36
I like the look of those Iron Hands - FW are really owning GW when it comes to Marines at the moment - even if it is just 30K.

The Stronghold looks nice, but when you think you then need to buy extra stuff like the antenna and gun points (if you want them that is) then the price is starting to get a tad serious.

MyNameDidntFit
28-09-2013, 05:04
The big problem with that stronghold is that the joins are going to be V shaped which puts me off it. If they'd made it as a modular kit rather than a RoB tile, I'd be all over it.

warlordbob
28-09-2013, 07:33
Just to point out, the error on bionics has been made for years by GW too, just look at the Index Astartes image LegionX has as his DP, left hand is armoured, right is bionic ;-)

Mage
28-09-2013, 07:36
Seeing those Iron Hands this morning before work made my day, I want them!

TheDungen
28-09-2013, 09:24
love the castellum now we only need one that's a dead and and one that's open in opposing side (think a straight road tile) and maybe one that's a t turn and we can build an entire castellum board.

Daigar
28-09-2013, 12:57
Some okay models and a ******* AMAZING stronghold.
Well, ok, it's pretty simple, but for some reason the shapes just tickle my fancy.

Brotheroracle
28-09-2013, 13:17
I just noticed that it looks like there is a reason for no doors, looks like there is some kind of laser fence. Each side of the opening has three round holes I'm guessing it is a laser fence, or force field kinda thing.

BTJ
28-09-2013, 15:02
I like the Iron Hands squad for more than just the looks. 64 Gets you ten models with ten chapter pads, ten bolters, and a full pack's worth of vexilla, nuncio-vox, and sergeant bits. To that that with the generic marine kits is 75. Not bad FW

Doppleskanger
28-09-2013, 15:23
"I just noticed that it looks like there is a reason for no doors, looks like there is some kind of laser fence. Each side of the opening has three round holes I'm guessing it is a laser fence, or force field kinda thing."

Yeah, I wondered about that. Kind of like a Saturday morning cartoon. Not sure I like that but if that's the case then I'd personally want to put them in with brass rods or something. I'm not too sure about it being modular.
Two of the sides wouldn't make sense against another big building section, as it would just be wall to wall. Each of those does have a lower section without crenelations so maybe something narrow connects up to those points? But then each side has a smaller similar gap in behind the bunker thing which would mean a connecting building would have to be located in a really odd location to utilize both of the points on a side. Almost as if those two sides would connect to small corner pieces that in turn would connect to a forth tile with another large building. All of those gaps seem to have the same funny hole things as the gateways so they surely are meant to be access points. I suppose four of this tile would form up if you placed all of the corners with the bunker towards the central intersection, but that would be a very wierd building in deed, and those higher smaller gaps would make no sense what so ever.
With the other two sides I guess you could get some sort of barbican or something, but given the way the ramps dip down I suspect you're looking at mainly road based tiles to connect to it. If they did that then anything gatehouse wise would need to make sense as a free standing unit too or they would loose potential sales form people who might just want the road sections. The flat panels with the chevrons certainly look like they connect to something though, and they seem to have some holes that lugs could rest in. All very intriguing.

LegionX
28-09-2013, 16:00
Just to point out, the error on bionics has been made for years by GW too, just look at the Index Astartes image LegionX has as his DP, left hand is armoured, right is bionic ;-)

Oh yeah, never noticed that before... :rolleyes:

WordBearer
28-09-2013, 17:04
I think it's cool that there's some design continuity between this and the Imperial Bastions. Look at the stabilizing arms on the corners. This is a structure that's dropped from aircraft.

TheDungen
28-09-2013, 20:19
the castellum looks very much inspired by the castellums in the DoW games.

SALtheWolf
29-09-2013, 20:01
So the Castellum will only be available for pre order at Games Day UK?

Doppleskanger
29-09-2013, 20:25
Well I was talking utter nonsense then :D
Still think that's a very odd configuration for a large building though
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hbk4whD9IzA/UkhI0r81QzI/AAAAAAAAR1k/_JQNjERrzeA/s1600/hfT66C11r9Y.jpg

Bigglesworth
29-09-2013, 22:35
Well I was talking utter nonsense then :D
Still think that's a very odd configuration for a large building though
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hbk4whD9IzA/UkhI0r81QzI/AAAAAAAAR1k/_JQNjERrzeA/s1600/hfT66C11r9Y.jpg

Well its not bad for a few minutes work by their Warsmiths ... ;)

Gorthaur
02-10-2013, 04:28
These Iron Hands make me want to start a small force of them. I wish they had done em in Mk II though...iron armor isnt my favorite mk even though it looks good here.

I'd prefer they looked like this:

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/9/9c/IH_Mk_III_Armour_Istvaan_V.png

looks way better than the chicken foot on the one model.

duffybear1988
02-10-2013, 08:35
Oh my lord those are sexy.

Bladelord
02-10-2013, 08:44
Stunning Iron Hands. Forgeworld outdoes themselves with the Heresy range.

Brother Garrod
04-10-2013, 20:59
as good as they look , the immortals look better imo

Mack
12-10-2013, 16:32
Any idea on when these are actually available for sale or did I miss it somewhere in the thread?

Fizzy
12-10-2013, 17:03
No they will be up on sale soon. They are already in the catalog.

Mack
12-10-2013, 17:19
No they will be up on sale soon. They are already in the catalog.

Sweet! I can't wait to get started on building my IH army. I'm most excited about this chapter due to all of the conversion opportunities. That is probably one of my favorite aspects to this hobby...Customized converted unique models!