PDA

View Full Version : Will you be going to Games Day next year?

MiyamatoMusashi
01-10-2013, 07:56
(Mainly intended to be pretty UK-centric I'm afraid, but those of you living abroad can answer or not as you see fit).

It sounds like there was some dissatisfaction with Games Day this year (for example: no games at Games Day, etc) which is well covered in other threads; this year was at the NIA which is already smaller than the NEC so presumably had fewer people attending. What about next year? Given your experience this year or in the past, if applicable - will you attend?

Emperors Teeth
01-10-2013, 09:21
I went to Games Day this year... and probably won't go next year, unless my mates also want to go and I see a lot of promotion about what will actually be on at the event... and that content makes us want to go.

There's no option in your poll for that unfortunately. (I went and maybe)

shelfunit.
01-10-2013, 09:35
The favourite part of my hobby is not buying GW miniatures, so I see no reason to spend 35+ in order to do so.

Herzlos
01-10-2013, 10:43
I've been before and spent the day bored. With the current format I doubt I'd go unless I was already in the area, had nothing else better to do and someone handed me a free ticket.

If they made it an actual games day, I'd come back, but until then I'll stick with independent events like Salute.

Memnon
01-10-2013, 11:01
Too expensive to go for what amounts to a recap of the years releases.

When they start doing it like they did ten years ago I'll attend!

Memnon

MiyamatoMusashi
01-10-2013, 11:10
I went to Games Day this year... and probably won't go next year, unless my mates also want to go and I see a lot of promotion about what will actually be on at the event... and that content makes us want to go.

There's no option in your poll for that unfortunately. (I went and maybe)

Well, there's a built-in assumption in the question that "next year's Games Day" will be much the same as this one. "Maybe" might be a truthful answer, but it's not particularly meaningful in the context of the poll; for some people, they might want to vote "maybe, but only if they host it in the building just down the road from me, and replace Armies on Parade with a nightclub, and give away free coke and strippers in the price of the ticket, and also cut the ticket price in half", but that's not very likely to happen (though I'd go if they did!) so not very worthy of a poll option. They might change things to a greater or lesser degree, but of course we can't see the future, so assume that they're not going to, for the purposes of the poll.

To put it another way: if your answer is "maybe, if...", then pretend the question is actually "would you go again if it were basically the same as this year".

loveless
01-10-2013, 20:53
Been there a few times - last year I went, this year I passed. Next year I'm likely to pass again - with my current crew, I'm more likely to spend traveling money on GenCon or just on non-gaming trips. I don't have the time or energy to devote a full convention trip to Games Workshop, especially when the most you get out of it seems to be a peek at new Forgeworld products and a look at the Black Library stand to see if ADB is still wearing that same damn hat (is it a hat? or is it part of his head? Inquiring minds want to know!)

But no, not going again in the foreseeable future.

Angelwing
01-10-2013, 21:42
No, I won't be going next year. Any appealing stuff is out sized by unappealing stuff. i was offered a free ticket and ride a couple of years back. I elected to go to work instead... :eek:

jestacardo
01-10-2013, 22:53
Loved it in 2011-2012 which were the only 2 years I went, loved the scale of it, seeing all the participation games going on on the crazy boards stores had built, browsing Armies on Parade, seeing some of the retro-bits, etc.

Didn't attend this year because:
1) At the NIA rather than NEC: much smaller so was worried there wouldn't be as much to look at.
2) Didn't get to see the exclusive model when booking the tickets, so couldn't tell if I wanted it.

After seeing pictures really glad I saved the money. It looked pretty small and underwhelming, without all the cool participation games to look at there's no way it would have filled a whole day for us, and the exclusive model looked pretty lame.

AsleepByDay
02-10-2013, 08:48
I visited in 2011 and 2012, skipped this year because I felt that the cost was too much for what you got, glad I did from what I've heard.
35 is just too much, that is enough to get into salute 10 (which also gives you a free model, the one this year was an awesome plastic model with multiple parts to choose from) and another 4-5 conventions over the course of the year.

Rick_1138
02-10-2013, 10:48
I went along and found it what I expected it to be. I attend for Golden demon so the day itself is just an excuse to chat to designers and mooch about etc.

However the main issue I have with the NIA is its a bad venue for what GW want to do, I got this impression the first time I went circa 2006 and how the event evolved over its time at the NEC.

The first time at the NEC, they simply didn't know what to do with the space, however once they got into the LG arena last year there was a good waiting area inside with toilets and food, plenty of well lit space for the various goings on, FW had its own area, games for those that wanted to play, make tables and competitions, FW and GW shop as you would expect and the BL\FF areas. Yes there was still a huge amount of free space but it meant you didn't feel crushed and if you went to get food it was a nice break from wandering about, with a seat.

The NIA was the polar opposite, the golden Demon area was very dark, had no repair station, which I needed after my banner snapped off, after 8 hours travel on a coach in a backpack it was fine, then snapped as I handed it to the guy as I had to unpack it all on the floor by peoples feet, I wasn't impressed as a tiny piece of paint came off the banner and basically destroyed 2 months work....

The shop\FW stand was well organised with the queue and till systems which they learned after the farce that was the 2011 event, however this took up half the floor space. There was no conversion\scrap demon, participation stuff was basically non existant and it had turned into FW open day part 2.

FW really did do well, great stands, display boards, telling folk whats coming 2-6 months in advance and new things to buy on the day ahead of regular sale.

GW on the other hand told us some Space marines were available and Dark Elves would be available soon....right then.

Food in the NIA was atrocious, the food area was WWAAAYYY at the back of the hall, in a sort of outside tent affair, with various pies and pasties, and I found out later hot dogs. No seats at all in the area, so people were sitting on the floor by the wall, there were a cuple of tables around the side of the arena walkway but this wasn't noticed till later.

I saw people with cups of tea\coffee, god knows where they found them, I looked but could only see little stalls selling sweets\ice cream?? or vending machines. The LG arena had various choices of food, fast service and seating. MUST DO BETTER!

Other than that its what I expected from a games day, but TBH the LG arena\NEC was really good last year, and its a shame they have returned to the NIA as its a tired location and too small. I know the LG arena was apparently mega expensive to hire, but I feel they have put a lot of people off, the dis-organisation was telling as I was in a bit early (medical issue so I get in with a staff mate) and could tell the 'staff' were basically bussed in from the offices at Lenton, they weren't shop staff, so tills were slow and they weren't knowledgeable, even the staff member I know said that this was a daft decision.

TBH if it wasn't for golden demon I wouldn't go, I would go to the FW weekender as its apparently much more fun.

We will see if I go again, but with the poor organisation, lack of space (armies on parade took up WAY too much space in the GD hall) and poor layout (stairs....4 sets!) and poor food\drink options I feel the 35 is poor value for money over previous events. At least at the NEC the size made the event 'appear' larger, now it just feels like the big shop its always been. TBH they should just do it as golden demon and have a couple of sales stands and tables so folk can enter the comp, play a few games while judging takes place and buy some FW stuff and go home. do it from 11-3.

any takers?

MiyamatoMusashi
02-10-2013, 11:06
To be fair, when I first heard reports of "no games at Games Day" I remembered back to the old days when Games Day and Golden Daemon were separate events. It seems like they've kind of done that again, but only one of them, and not bothered to tell anyone.

The FW Open Day is dramatically cheaper and (for me) easier to get to. That means the only other reason to go to "Games Day" is Golden Daemon, and I'm not good enough to win and they've never, ever, ever, in the history of the competition, come up with a good way to display the entries to the public... so I just wait for the photos online later.

I don't see any reason for anyone not entering Golden Daemon to go.

duffybear1988
02-10-2013, 11:25
The favourite part of my hobby is not buying GW miniatures, so I see no reason to spend 35+ in order to do so.

This is exactly how I feel.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
02-10-2013, 13:37
Might be going next year to enter Golden Daemon, or correction so Aura can enter Golden Daemon, but otherwise no reason to go with the currrent format.

williamsond
02-10-2013, 13:47
I havent been since we stopped having seperate games days and golden demon events, but listening to feed back from people I know who went this year i just don't think I'll be back in its current iteration (some people who went have dubbed this years event salesday which speaks volumes to me).

Bolo-driller
02-10-2013, 16:01
I commented in another thread but it was promptly closed.
The only reason I attend is to enter Golden Demon and have had various degrees of success. However this year just seemed very very overpriced for what it was.
After handing over my GD entries I spent 30/45 mins chatting to studio peeps and then it was a case of killing time between judging rounds.

There were inadequate food/drink facilities , no participation games, no atmosphere, nothing to do or see (forgeworld being the exception), golden demon was in a dingy sports hall with appalling lighting and was very crowded, everything seemed geared towards sales. Overall it was just very very boring.

The "live painting demos" by the 'Eavy metal team on the big screens would have worked well if there was some way for them to be explaining to the onlookers what was actually being worked on and what techniques were being used (like they do on the masterclass days).

My mate commented that we could have seen all the stuff we saw that day, enjoyed a better atmosphere and better facilities with a trip to warhammer world and saved 35 each.

As I only go for golden demon I may well go abroad next year to see how I get on. I prob won't go to the UK one again.

Inquisitor Shego
02-10-2013, 17:28
I did not go to this year, but I went to last. First I queued up at Forge World's selling booth like a communist waiting for bread. 60 minutes or more of bustling just to pick up a Skin Wolf. I must have been mental. Then there was some milling around the tables where I finally realised the vast crowds were 10-18, and me, a 30 year old fitted in more with the bored parents who had this 100 yard stare, as though they were mourning the lack of emphasis on safe sex in their generation.

Some tables were impressive to look at, but with the roar of crowds and the trampling of acne faced teens I just couldn't get settled. Spent 5 minutes talking to Jes Goodwin in which I went Squeeeeee and had an insightful experience, but then I settled for way too expensive, naff tasting food. Then I found the FFG table, and bought a ton of their stock because getting it online can be real hit or miss. Finally, I saw the sign for Warhammer Quest, and lept from excitement to disinterest when I learned it was a crappy app. Excluding the 1 hour queue for FW, I was there for another 60 minutes tops. Never again.

Memnos
02-10-2013, 17:40

Games Day has squarely been marketed at you, my friend! The person who's favourite part is not buying GW miniatures. With so little content or gaming, there are a plethora of reasons not to buy GW miniatures for such an event. Why, you can not buy a ticket and enjoy not buying many, many products for years to come!

You are the reason Games Day is a success.

shelfunit.
02-10-2013, 18:58
Games Day has squarely been marketed at you, my friend! The person who's favourite part is not buying GW miniatures. With so little content or gaming, there are a plethora of reasons not to buy GW miniatures for such an event. Why, you can not buy a ticket and enjoy not buying many, many products for years to come!

To be clear, I did not mean my favourite part of my hobby was "not buying GW miniatures" but that my favourite part of my hobby was not "buying GW minatures". I am glad I contributed so much to Salesday 2013.

Torga_DW
02-10-2013, 20:17
part of my hobby was not "buying GW minatures". I am glad I contributed so much to Salesday 2013.

careful now. Saying things like that isn't hobby. :angel:

Scaryscarymushroom
03-10-2013, 00:17

Hahaha,

So what you're saying is, there's no reason a customer should ever go to games day, therefore games day is for people who aren't customers?

If you've bought anything, you can't actually use it there, after all.

EDIT: I'm American, so I picked "I just like answering polls." I'm not your target audience. But I've never been to a US Games Day (travelling for gaming seems really strange to me), and I am much less enthused with the game today. I will almost certainly never go.

Torga_DW
03-10-2013, 00:29
i think it was sarcasm/irony at shelf's post.

I've never been to a games day myself, but used to enjoy reading the threads that popped up about them.

Spider-pope
04-10-2013, 10:39
I've never been to a Games Day, i never have enough money or end up working on that day, so i've missed the opportunity. And to be honest it seems like i have missed the glory days of Games Day. That you now buy the miniature separately, no news of upcoming studio releases, it just seems like there isn't much point going.

Castiel
04-10-2013, 12:18
Never been - thought about it once or twice in the past but then realised for the ticket price I could attend several other shows around the UK like Vapnartak, Fiasco, Smoggycon, Triples etc.

dala_karn
04-10-2013, 15:53
I went "I just like answering polls." as my answer is a bit more complex then the poll options gave.
I've enjoyed the last few games days, they were always full of happy hobbyists playing games and having a good time meeting each other. this year, it had a really Corporate feel to it, no sign of gaming clubs or Dioramas (except for a small one by forge world) and having half of the main hall dedicated to selling us stuff to hammered the point further. the fact my friends and I didn't see the third party video game developer hanging above the forge world sales stand behind banner in the darkest corner of the arena until the last 15 minutes of the day made it feel insulting that they treated that particular third party in such a manner. the NIA was terrible as well, most of the vending machines were out of order and the only place to get food had sold out before noon (except for veggy pasties but whos kidding).

I'll happily go again as long as its not at the NIA, the NEC is a lot better just because the corporate vibe is hidden by the amount of gamers who spent their time (and money) bringing entertainment from their home towns to share with the world.

sasheep
04-10-2013, 18:41
I have been twice before (2009 and 2010) and I absolutely loved it. There was a tonne to do each year ranging from huge dioramas to conversion competitions and scenery building. I also got to speak to Jess Goodwin and Phil Kelly about the DE release, and look at some of the concept art which caused me to drop a lot of cash on DE as soon as they were released. There were also some fantastic deals on random blisters, 5 I think for like 3, and old WD and codex/army books which meant I could pick up some of the books from before my time (love all the old fluff in them). I haven't been able to go again until this year, but I looked at the ticket price, the model price and then the cost to travel up there and I decided it just wasn't worth it. Looks like it was a good decision to miss out, I have only heard negatives from mates who did go.

mostlyharmless
04-10-2013, 20:30
Well . . . I'm in the US, so if anything, I'd go to US Games Day, which I don't plan to. From what I hear, there's no point in going. You don't see anything new. It would be neat to talk to Jes Goodwin and Trish, and the Forge World folks, but in all reality, they should just be going to the gaming conventions like PAX, Gen-Con, and Adepticon, which is what Privateer Press does. Still, if you're not involved in Golden Daemon, there's really nothing to do, it seems. I'd rather go to Adepticon. They have a tournament and the Crystal Paintbrush, which, from what I've seen, blows the Golden Daemon out of the water.

Proiteus
09-10-2013, 10:37
I'll go next year, but only if I win my local GW's Armies On Parade contest because I'll get my ticket for free.

Also thought I'd edit a meme comic that seemed appropriate.

Artinam
09-10-2013, 12:16
I've went in the past to it in Koln, and it was so disappointing and expensive I will certainly skip it as long as the concept is the same.

MiyamatoMusashi
09-10-2013, 12:38
So... obviously it's really difficult to draw any kind of meaningful conclusions from this unscientific poll (tiny sample size, imperfect questions, nowhere to provide context for the response, etc) but so far, 90% of people who have been to Games Day (this year or previously) don't intend to go again. Doesn't seem super encouraging, even given the acknowledged limitations of the poll?

Herzlos
09-10-2013, 15:11
Also given that almost all of the people who've said in the other threads that they will go again have said that it's purely for the Golden Demon.

Autumn Leaves
10-10-2013, 20:29
Gamesday isn't a patch on Salute.

burad
13-10-2013, 20:02
Too far away to go to something that isn't an actual gaming convention. I'll stick with HMGS, thank you.

logan054
13-10-2013, 20:55
I haven't been to one for a few years. Honestly, I can't see why anyone would even bother going, last time I went I helped run some games for FW, when I wasn't doing that I was walking around bored, I ended up leaving early and getting a train home, never again, with the hotel cost and train ticket it would have been cheaper for me to just buy the rulebook they gave me lol.

The Black Shield
13-10-2013, 21:08
Even with the cost of gas and admission, it still figures to be cheaper than paying postage and handling charges when purchasing from Forge World. That said, if I can get a job by then I think I would go. By the way I'm from the U.S.

BTJ
15-10-2013, 16:22
I went the first year it was in the NEC and then in 2011. The first year was great, the scrap demon was just you and whatever sprues you could get your hands on with a really open brief. Thay had an area showing off DoW winter assault and the sabertooth ccgs, as well as BL and 2nd. ed. WFRP. You could play games of Dark Future, they had posters with new warhammer dwarves, LotR easterlings and the vespid minis for the tau codex that was 5-6 months away. Store stands were grand, even had one of the lads who'd done the second tale of 4 gamers(the guy with the stirlanders). Overall, great day I still remember fondly despite the fact I had to get a plane over, and got lost in the venue(I was 13 and over with a friend and his dad. That bit wasn't that fun).

And then there was 2011, and it's cluster**** of a sales area shoved in a small corner out of the way. It was the first thing I went to, and we were in a mob for 3 hours, and it got so bad that staff had to pass out bottles of water just to keep us conscious. Aside from that, there were a few cabinets with some curios, the purple SoM board they showed in WD for that release, and then Dreadfleet everywhere. Except the sales area, cause why would they want people to actually buy the thing? Considering the price of the plane, the ticket, and the hotel, total waste of a trip.

warhammerscotlandplayer
25-10-2013, 12:39
Been in the past and was unimpressed. Think it was 2005, it was hyped up by GW staff when i used to play in stores. What a let down. I had a better time on the bus up and down than at the event.

Only thing that was remotely interesting was the release of a "new" army at the time of ogre kingdoms.

Autumn Leaves
26-10-2013, 04:42
Go to Games day?
I'd rather have a root canal.

budman
31-10-2013, 14:12
I've been to Games Day in the past(m1.992) , but not this year, but hope go next year.

MiyamatoMusashi
31-10-2013, 16:59
(m1.992)

But...

Never mind.

Daniel36
31-10-2013, 19:59
Never been, never will. I went to a "sort of Games Day" twice, a Dutch GW happening, and wasn't overly impressed. I participated in tournaments and that was kind of fun but the rest was just blehh...

They really should change the name of their company and the name of this event, because A: They don't really make many games, they just update their core games and every now and again we get a limited release game, and B: There is very little in the way of Games on a Games Day. It's mostly gawking at miniatures I can gawk at online.

Nubl0
01-11-2013, 02:55
I went to the one where tau were released, which was great. I didn't go to another until the dark eldar came out which was also great, got to have a go on one of the CAD machines and talk to Jess and phil. Went to the one afterwards and it was dreadful, literally nothing to do, and I hear the latest one has been the worst one yet. Shame really, some of them have been real good fun, did end up going to salute instead though which was awesome!

Dizzy91
02-11-2013, 05:59
I finally persuaded 2 buddy's of mine to come along for g'day 2012.
I told them how it would be a good fun day out with forge world goodies.
I've never felt so stupid!
After 2hours queuing for forge world to only be told oh every thing you wanted is gone lol.
the rest was spent milling around golden demon cases which where 4 deep for the most.

doubt I will ever go again.

anselminus
10-11-2013, 10:08
I've been to Games Day in the past, but not this year, and will NOT go next year.

French GD is really deteriorated over time, there are no giant diorama Off miniatures, the limited edition model is nice but in Finecast (but hey it still they have improved), there is no preview except in FW stand (and really low compared to English GD).
There are beautiful painted figurines and armies exposed but that does not justify the price of tiquet.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-11-2013, 11:00
But...

Never mind.

Budman is rather elderly.....

Commissar Vaughn
10-11-2013, 19:18
Wait whut? I must have missed this: There were no games at games day? Of any sort? So it was just a "Day" for 35?

My mind is boggled.

Even with games included its still about 20 times worse than Triples or Phalanx and 7 times the price. If theres no games...what is there?

madness...absolute madness...

MusingWarboss
10-11-2013, 22:19
It appears it's purely decoration these days.

redben
13-11-2013, 18:27
GW have fired their event managers in France and Italy. There was no Games Day in France this year and by all accounts the recent Italian Games Day was a disaster in which the staff outnumbered the fans.

Herzlos
14-11-2013, 08:01
Wow that's bad. I never saw any reports on the Italian Games Day beyond the FW releases. Are there any attendance figures?

redben
14-11-2013, 10:32
That was an anecdotal comment I'd heard. Looking into it a little further, there were 430 total attendees including all of the staff at the event. There 1000 tickets available so it would seem that they sold at most a third of the tickets.

Herzlos
14-11-2013, 13:01
That really is pretty poor, since there would have easily been 100 staff. Has there been any feedback on why it's so poor now? Less GW interest or like the UK shows just a lack of any appeal outside of Golden Demon?

redben
14-11-2013, 18:20
The set-up seems pretty much the same as the UK GD. There was RoB tile speed-painting competition, a Q&A, Golden Demon, and the rest was selling.

Autumn Leaves
14-11-2013, 19:31
Why go to Games Day UK when you can go to Salute instead.
They have Forge World, so everything is covered.

MiyamatoMusashi
02-12-2013, 09:19
Just heard on the grapevine that there will be no Games Day - and no Golden Demon - next year. So I'm told.

WarzonePlayer
02-12-2013, 09:58
I've been to Games Day in the past, but not this year, and will NOT go next year.

Games day is just a waste of time and money, I'd rather spent 2.50 on a return train to my local independent, more to do, more to buy.

zam2
02-12-2013, 11:31
Maybe, depends if there'll actually be one next year here in Australia, there wasn't one this year. Something about the venue charging a massive premium for the time of year it would be held or some other ********, hell, I'd only go for the forgeworld line and the conversion comp to gank free bits and kits.

shelfunit.
02-12-2013, 16:15
... hell, I'd only go for the forgeworld line and the conversion comp to gank free bits and kits.

Unless you get enough "free" bits/kits to cover the cost of the entry ticket it's not really worth it though is it?

Spectrar Ghost
02-12-2013, 20:59
Doesn't take so much to make up the cost any more...

williamsond
06-12-2013, 11:19
this is a sad state of affairs, back in the early 1900s games day and golden deamon day were great and i spent the whole year looking forward to them. I saddens me to see how far the event has fallen. Even so as many have pointed out there's some really good independent events out there, i plan to go to the old hammer day next year as that looked great.

MusingWarboss
06-12-2013, 14:40
this is a sad state of affairs, back in the early 1900s games day and golden deamon day were great and i spent the whole year looking forward to them.

I know it's a typo but Games Day 1900... I can just picture the moustaches, the ruddy cheeks, the air filled with pipe smoke as gamers carefully move around their colonial inspired IG forces... Hurrah, old chap!

williamsond
06-12-2013, 20:53
I know it's a typo but Games Day 1900... I can just picture the moustaches, the ruddy cheeks, the air filled with pipe smoke as gamers carefully move around their colonial inspired IG forces... Hurrah, old chap!

lol typos are funny... 1990's even

zam2
07-12-2013, 02:47
Unless you get enough "free" bits/kits to cover the cost of the entry ticket it's not really worth it though is it?

I dunno man, you can snag a plastic baneblade for no effort as long as you tack on some superfluous crap and call it an orky looted baneblade. There's a 165 dollar kit for an initial buy in off 55 dollars for the ticket and coach to the event. *********** bargin.

huitzilopochtli
15-12-2013, 00:50
I voted yes to both, but only for the sake of entering Golden Demon. Depending on how I do it may be my last games day, too.

Apart from Golden Demon and an opportunity to buy forge world (which I could do online - waiting in line just gave me something to take my mind of the judging), games day this year was boring and not worth the price tag. I miss getting a free mini, the scratchbuilding, being able to buy stuff before everyone else (I'm not sure if I ever actually did, but it's the thought that counts). I still hope in vain for a repeat of my first games day, where they sold boxes of 4 random, metal blisters for 5. Alas, those days are gone and we shall never see their like again. :(

Inquisitor Kallus
15-12-2013, 01:46
i find it both amusing and sad that many people equate a good games day by how much 'free stuff' they can get their hands on... . What about the content of the event itself? Game, fun, cool displays, Golden Demon, demos, challenges, art, inspiration, talking to the designers?

Ive only ever worked Games Days, but as a spectacle they were pretty awesome. Some of the FW and larger GW displays (Battle of the Fang, Mega Games with silly big titans and The Doom of Mymeara set up) were fantastic. When I heard things like Scrap Demon were scrapped I thought it was a great shame because some really good stuff came out of it, and it gave people a chance to try some really creative things they may normally never of had the chance to do (cost etc). There were always lots of people who would just do it to take as much stuff as they could for themselves and I overheard a number of people saying things like just stick it there and you can always take the bits off at home and use them or similar things. Well done guys, theres always someone who spoils it for everyone else........ *slow clap*

I think Games Day seems to have gone down in quality a fair bit in recent years which is a shame. Apparently Games Days were at a loss (monetary wise) for the company according to a number of senior staff I knew. What kind of things would you guys genuinely want to see and /or do if you had the choice?

winterdyne
15-12-2013, 13:44
I would not be surprised to see GD canned entirely given the disasters in 2013.
GDUK widely regarded as worst ever UK GD (no games, abysmal layout, terrible venue).
GD Italy (reportedly less than 300 attendees INCLUDING STAFF). Out of 1000 tickets.

Honestly, for a company of GW's stature it's just embarrassing.

AsleepByDay
16-12-2013, 09:34
So apparently (talking to GW staff member) the lack of content is on purpose as they have moved the content out into things such as the black library weekend events. This was apparently due to customer feedback that people did not like having to queue for such a long time to see things at games day. Hence games day has been returned to a small scale event mostly focused on golden demon, armies on parade and the store.

So it looks like we can expect all future games days to be similar to this one.

Menthak
16-12-2013, 14:26
What kind of things would you guys genuinely want to see and /or do if you had the choice?

Personally...

Game, fun, cool displays, Golden Demon, demos, challenges, art, inspiration, talking to the designers?

I don't care about how much swag I can loot, I'd rather just have a day of celebration of the hobby.

winterdyne
16-12-2013, 14:44
So apparently (talking to GW staff member) the lack of content is on purpose as they have moved the content out into things such as the black library weekend events. This was apparently due to customer feedback that people did not like having to queue for such a long time to see things at games day. Hence games day has been returned to a small scale event mostly focused on golden demon, armies on parade and the store.

So it looks like we can expect all future games days to be similar to this one.

For an event 'focused on golden demon, and armies on parade' I fail to see how they could possibly have screwed up this year's GDUK any more than they did. Perhaps by holding the event in a cave. By candlelight. Hyperbole aside, it was dreadful, and this opinion is in common with pretty much every other painter I spoke to at GDUK. A great many are considering not going again.

The store certainly seemed rather present though. Someone should probably mention that big sales shows usually come with some sort of event discount.

Herzlos
16-12-2013, 14:55
i find it both amusing and sad that many people equate a good games day by how much 'free stuff' they can get their hands on... . What about the content of the event itself? Game, fun, cool displays, Golden Demon, demos, challenges, art, inspiration, talking to the designers?

Free stuff makes it feel like better value and that you're not just at a cynical sales event. The ticket price is already pretty steep (35?) but with the free LE mini it felt like a better deal. The old blind blisters (blisters in sealed bags for a fraction of retail) thing made it even better.

Content at the event is also good; but unless the place is deserted there's limited opportunity to speak to the designers (they really should have more seminars and organise them better). Even if I met them I don't know if I'd much of a conversation because I'm not into it enough to really know who wrote what (and I'd probably be more interested in talking ECW with the Perry's), so I wouldn't be too bothered by the 1-2-1's.

When I went for the first time last year, I was expecting a hall full of open gaming (we brought our armies with us) and amazing displays and seminars, and was hopeful for some good deals to make me open my wallet (like those blind bags), or anything better than visiting a store.

On arrival we got tickets for a seminar in a room we never found, but it didn't matter because it'd started before we'd even got into the FW queue. There was no open gaming, the only gaming available was hosted games with dozens of players and screaming kids everywhere, there was no way to get close enough to the Golden Demon to get a decent view, and 1/2 of the venue was filled with sales (at full retail) of one form or another.

After the FW queue we had a brief wander about, got lunch and then went home. If the LE mini's were included in the ticket price, or they even had 20% off or spend X get Y deals in the store I'd have felt like we got our monies worth, instead of feeling conned into attending a shopping event.