PDA

View Full Version : Flyers - Not like they used to be...

Banville
01-10-2013, 09:26
Hi there, guys and gals,

When Flyers first came out they were, I think it's fair to say, game-breaking. Some, the Heldrake first and foremost, are still universally acknowledged as overpowered. However, with the quick proliferation of AA across all factions, does anyone see the effectiveness of Flyers diminishing? Spamming anything will mean automatic built-in redundancy should one be gunned down luckily but in general, is a list with a Flyer or two any less of a pain to deal with than it used to be?

I'm asking this because my group very rarely uses Flyers. Not for any philosophical objection to them but simply because nobody has really bothered with them. I'm thinking of branching out, though and don't want to be "that guy" with pain in the **** list.

Exorcist
01-10-2013, 09:36
I think it depends on how you play them.

If a chaos player brings one baledrake, i would never say he uses a broken list. If the same player brought 3 baledrakes. Well... thats a different thing.

And besides, even without AA, a flyer is not invincible. Many flyers can be brought down with concentrated medium gun fire.

If you like the models, and you like the idea of jets, go with it. If your group is not to competitive to begin with, i cant see a problem with taking one flyer

I use one Stormtalon in practicly every game, just because ive painted the model and i like the idea of airsupport.

Ironbone
01-10-2013, 10:24
And besides, even without AA, a flyer is not invincible. Many flyers can be brought down with concentrated medium gun fire.

True, but because if snap shots, non AA weapons reqire insane numbers of shots to down even a single flyer ( especialy Av12 one ), leaving rest of enemy army largely unmolested by your fire. It's always a hard choice - shoot on flyer thats killing your army now, or shoot on enemy aproaching cc units, who will tear you to shreds in next turns.

Also, now only tau can boost enough AA to reliably face 3+ enemy flyiers. Outsie Tau, Str 8+ AA weaponry on ground forces is non existant, and lower Str is not reliable counter to AV12, most dungerous flyers.

Kakapo42
01-10-2013, 10:34
I do believe that when fliers first came out they were not terribly broken very fast moving glass cannons with some not-so-simple rules that would only stay on the board for one turn, and were of debatable legality due to being Forgeworld-made. :p

In seriousness, most of them were never really that broken to begin with. It was only a couple of bad eggs (the Helldrake, Vendetta and one or both of the Necron fliers) that gave them a bad reputation for being far too powerful. I don't think anyone would complain about you using a Nephilim. :p

Mandragola
01-10-2013, 11:19
Go ahead and use flyers. They are fine. Obviously if you go out and buy 9 night scythes, people will be unhappy. So don't.

Flyer spam isn't competitive at tournaments. It was always a little hit and miss and tau have now killed it, stuffed it and mounted it on their fireplace.

Mozzamanx
01-10-2013, 11:34
Yeah, it's all about the Riptide spam now!

But yes, a general increase the amount of anti-air weaponry is nice, but having it saturated on the most powerful army, with the widest range of allies, and on what is already the best unit in the game, certainly went a long way as well.

Archon of Death
01-10-2013, 13:21
They should be countered. Go play Dark/Eldar for a while,you'll learn how to manipulate the maneuverability of them to optimize their effectiveness. Mind that that view is from my experience in 3rd with them XD

LordofDestruction1992
01-10-2013, 16:45
I didn't see fliers as ever really being that powerful if I'm honest if you accept that they are gonna cause some damage you can go some way to to mitigate the loses without having to take anti air. For example if I see my opponent has got a bale drake or 2 I will just spread my models out the furthest apart they can be as then they shouldn't be able to wipe me out in one turn or 2. I will say however that only when it has the bale flamer is the drake over powered as other wise its a good anti flier flier