PDA

View Full Version : I want to start Carcharodons army, which Chapter Tactics should I use?

Maushu
03-10-2013, 14:06
Hello fellow wargamers!

I've been thinking about starting a Carcharodons army, but I'm not sure which Chapter Tactics I should use.

I want something very elite, with some Drop Pods, some Scouts, maybe Terminators aswell and low vehicle count (excluding Drop Pods).

All I got so far for the army is Drop Pod, Sternguard Veterans (since they look so awesome), Scouts and Aegis Defence Line.

Which Chapter Tactics you think would work best with the army?

Also some armylist ideas are very welcome.

Thanks,

Maushu

Goosey_J
03-10-2013, 14:12
Hello fellow wargamers!

I've been thinking about starting a Carcharodons army, but I'm not sure which Chapter Tactics I should use.

I want something very elite, with some Drop Pods, some Scouts, maybe Terminators aswell and low vehicle count (excluding Drop Pods).

All I got so far for the army is Drop Pod, Sternguard Veterans (since they look so awesome), Scouts and Aegis Defence Line.

Which Chapter Tactics you think would work best with the army?

Also some armylist ideas are very welcome.

Thanks,

Maushu

For the time being, use whatever ones you like. Forgeworld will be doing an update on all their characters in the near future, so when that happens you'll either have new CTs for the Carcharodons, or they'll have an assigned one from the codex, so keep your eyes pealed.

A.T.
03-10-2013, 16:24
If you don't have Tyberos then templars will give you the bolt pistol/cc weapon tactical squads that the Carcharodons field.

All Cing Eye
04-10-2013, 00:08
Raven Guard, since it was hinted that they may be from 2nd founding of them.

If I recall correctly.

Baaltor
04-10-2013, 02:41

If I recall correctly.

That's good, and makes sense with their eyes deviation.

Also I recommend Space Wolves, and use lots of psykers with "Jaws".

Inquisitor Engel
04-10-2013, 05:36

If I recall correctly.

They also happen to share tactics, disposition and physical features with the Night Lords, if you want to take them in that direction... They did appear out of nowhere for the Badab War after all...:evilgrin:

UberlordGendo
04-10-2013, 06:57
I've been pondering the same thing, and honestly, I'm tempted to use the Night Lords Legion List.

Maushu
04-10-2013, 08:11
Thanks for all the replies!

Bit off-topic question, but does anyone know any other books that have information or stories about Carcharodons other than IA10 Badab War?

Also thanks alot on the suggestions. I was thinking about using Black Templars or Raven Guard. Only thing is that I don't really like Jump Infantry models myself so half of the Chapter Tactics is wasted on Ravens.

Black Templars do have nice Characters with Rending and rerolls on To Hit. Also the Crusader Squads would be the best choice for Troops with CCW and Pistol.

Also I love TH/SS Terminators, but I hate the basic shields they have. Does anyone have good suggestions for alternate shields?

Thanks,

Maushu

cswang
04-10-2013, 10:19
Hey Maushu, I recommend checking out the Deathwatch supplement Honour the Chapter by Fantasy Flight Games. It's got an entire section on creating and playing a Carcharodon character. A lot of the information and background is drawn directly from IA10, but it has its own bits.

Stuff you may like in particular are Name and Pasts suggestions, explorations of what happens when they become mentally unhinged (the Insanity track in 40K RPGs), Solo and Squad mode abilities, and Psychic Powers. You probably won't get much direct use out of them for tabletop 40K, but it's nice information and inspiration.

daveNYC
04-10-2013, 10:41
I don't think there's going to be much from existing GW fluff for them, since IA had them as a fleet based chapter that spent most of their time way out in the dark.

Maushu
04-10-2013, 12:52
Hey Maushu, I recommend checking out the Deathwatch supplement Honour the Chapter by Fantasy Flight Games. It's got an entire section on creating and playing a Carcharodon character. A lot of the information and background is drawn directly from IA10, but it has its own bits.

Stuff you may like in particular are Name and Pasts suggestions, explorations of what happens when they become mentally unhinged (the Insanity track in 40K RPGs), Solo and Squad mode abilities, and Psychic Powers. You probably won't get much direct use out of them for tabletop 40K, but it's nice information and inspiration.

Thanks for this!

Friend has all the books for Deathwatch, but I've only glanced them through. Gonna check it out tonight.

Inquisitor Engel
04-10-2013, 13:49
Also thanks alot on the suggestions. I was thinking about using Black Templars or Raven Guard. Only thing is that I don't really like Jump Infantry models myself so half of the Chapter Tactics is wasted on Ravens.

Don't forget they use A LOT of older armour MK's, from VI and V to terminator variants not seen... ever. They could use whatever assault marine models you wanted, the FW MKIV's or V's would look really cool.

Camman1984
04-10-2013, 15:49
Raven guard would fit the army i think, if you dont like jump units you could always put them in scouting rhinos instead. Giving you your ccw bp marines.

Col. Dash
04-10-2013, 19:53
Apparently my comment got canned for bad words, because we play a game where entire planets get sacrificed on a whim as brutally as possible yet saying a bad word is bad. I say this in happy words now. Use Tyberos's chapter tactics and simply change the word to traits. Its not hard and most if not all players should be accepting of it, it isnt like thats not what FW is going to do anyway. Its just common sense. Note you still should use Tyberos if you do this. If some cheese monkey gets mad or wont let you, that player isnt worth the time to play anyway. Note his Red Brethren will still beat the snot out of a regular GK term squad on the charge :)

Maushu
04-10-2013, 22:19
Apparently my comment got canned for bad words, because we play a game where entire planets get sacrificed on a whim as brutally as possible yet saying a bad word is bad. I say this in happy words now. Use Tyberos's chapter tactics and simply change the word to traits. Its not hard and most if not all players should be accepting of it, it isnt like thats not what FW is going to do anyway. Its just common sense. Note you still should use Tyberos if you do this. If some cheese monkey gets mad or wont let you, that player isnt worth the time to play anyway. Note his Red Brethren will still beat the snot out of a regular GK term squad on the charge :)

This is actually a great idea. I only play with friends anyway and the army is gonna be my next display project for the time being and for friendly games. Next year I'm going to take part in a big tournament here in Finland and later I need to modify it for competitive purposes without using FW stuff.

Thanks a lot for this tip!

Regarding Tyberos, his fluff states that his face is quite messed up. Does anyone have a good suggestion to use for his head since I love bare heads on my characters?

Thanks,

Maushu

Reinholt
04-10-2013, 22:29
A few notes:

1 - I would avoid using the Night Lords heresy stuff for them, as the Night Lords are also depicted as being stealthy and cowardly, something that is not particularly true of the Carcharadons from the Badab books. If anything, the closest match for them is going to be the World Eaters in terms of tactics.

2 - If you want to preserve the BP + CCW for your basic marines, you are probably looking at Space Wolves or Black Templars.

3 - Alternately adapting the FW rules until they revise them in an FAQ or some such would be workable.

Inquisitor Engel
04-10-2013, 23:00
1 - I would avoid using the Night Lords heresy stuff for them, as the Night Lords are also depicted as being stealthy and cowardly, something that is not particularly true of the Carcharadons from the Badab books. If anything, the closest match for them is going to be the World Eaters in terms of tactics.

Good points. I generally wouldn't put any Night Lords stuff in there either, but it's a nice conspiracy to throw around. The Night Lords certainly favour stealth and whatnot, but they're also brutal and merciless, especially when fighting other Astartes in the Heresy.

Joewrightgm
07-10-2013, 15:43
Well, from what I remember, he's described as being pale, black eyes, with rows of sharpened teeth like a shark; maybe one of the more subdued space wolf heads, painted appropriately?

Maushu
07-10-2013, 19:06
Well, from what I remember, he's described as being pale, black eyes, with rows of sharpened teeth like a shark; maybe one of the more subdued space wolf heads, painted appropriately?

Yeah those would probably work well. Also I was checking out the Lord Zhufor's head from forgeworld (that Khorne lord) and I think that would work pretty well. As far as I remember, his face was described as being pretty badly wounded and bones showing and whatnot. Zhufor has something similar going on.