PDA

View Full Version : High Elf 2400pt for Tournament

Richmt11
06-10-2013, 04:52
Hey guys,

So ive been using my Orcs for the past year (or more exclusively) as i got bored with High Elves. And since the new book i havent used them at all. Well i have hit a bit of a wall with my Orcs, where i seem to be getting battered so much, and it isnt even the randomness thats affecting me (although foot of gork seems to love stomping my own savages lately!). And so with a tournament registered in december im thinking of taking High Elves. So i got my 2400pt orc list sorted, but i wanna get a 2400pt HE list which i can try out and see which i wanna take.

Now the list below is completely different from what i used to take with High Elves, so any advice on what i should keep and drop, how i can improve the list. Best way to spend any remaining points, and also id like to get a FH Phoenix in so what should i drop? Alot of people seem to take double phoenix, so have i got a shot of placing well without a double phoenix? What lore is strongest with the list for the mages?

Oh and i should also add that aside from the new release stuff, i have basically got alot of well everything... So anything suggested is viable.

Cheers in advance! And the list will be laid out by unit...

25 x Phoenix Guard - FCG, Razor Standard (465)
Archmage - Lvl 4, General, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation (320)
Noble - BSB, Heavy Armour, Halberd, Enchanted Shield, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength (151)

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70)

10 x Dragon Princes - FCG, Banner of the World Dragon (370)
Mage - Lvl 2, Steed w/ Barding, Dispel Scroll

5 x Ellyrian Reavers - Bows, Musician (95)

30 x Archers - Musician (310)

30 x Archers - Musician (310)

TOTAL = 2391

Kayosiv
06-10-2013, 10:13
I don't get why your BSB has a Halberd and an Enchanted Shield. Do you expect to put him off on his own where he can be shot?

I would probably split the archers into 4 units of 15. Do you plan to keep them horded to deter attacks? Flexibility in targeting is always nice.

What lore are you planning on taking with your wizards?

Richmt11
06-10-2013, 12:20
The enchanted shield is just to give him a 2+ so he is a little more survivable, and the halberd will give him +1 str. So if i dont need to take the use of the reaver bow, in combat he can dish a bit more in the event of a challenge or something. Not the best hero setup i know, but his main use is with reaver bow and the pot.

I agree with target flexibility, but ive been reading how most people just take archers as opposed to spear elves. So taking the 2 units of 30 is where i would have had for example 2 of 15 and a 30 man spear elf unit in the old book. So i just put them all into archers. But i like the small unit approach, may play aroundwith that.

I was thinking High for the lvl 2 in with dragon princes to boost their ward. And i used to take Life on the lvl 4, i really like that lore. But whats best with this setup?

And how do i go about clearing way for a phoenix or is it not necessary to still do well?

Kayosiv
06-10-2013, 22:49
No I mean. If you have a halberd, you cannot use a shield in close combat. So the shield will literally do nothing unless he is shot at from range.

I would get a lore that allows you to get some high strength. Without your bolt throwers, you lack any sort of high strength in a protracted combat. Toughness 5 and up things are going to be a problem for you, although you may be able to sort that out with the sheer number of bow shots you have. I would therefor pick a lore that allows you get deal with high toughness.

Beasts for wyssans.

Shadow to reduce toughness or movement (to shoot at things more)

Heavens for the high strength magic missiles.

I'm not convinced you need life. You only have 2 combat blocks, and they're already pretty survivable. Big hordes that dweller's would be effective on can already be whittled down by 65 bow shots a turn.

Richmt11
06-10-2013, 23:34
gah, thanks for that. traded the shield out for Dragonbane Gem.

Think ill go for Shadow. Not really used it, so worth learning more about it. I think im gonna playtest it as is (ill find something to spend remaining points on) and see what works and what doesnt, and if ineed to split my archers up.

Nothing obvious to drop for the frostheart or is it really not worth it in this list?