PDA

View Full Version : fanatic questions

SVKBaki
07-10-2013, 12:16
Hi, my first game with fanatics and I am not sure whether I played them correctly, so my few questions:

1. Enemy charges the goblins, at 8 inches I release the fanatics and send them straight line against the charging unit. Both of them roll just 5, so they fail to meet the unit. The unit then completes the charge, runs over fanatics and takes 2d6 hits for each fanatic in way and unless panicked from casualties they proceed to target. Right?

2. I move closer to release fanatics, ideally in front of the unit which wants to charge me next turn, fanatics roll less than 8. (Between his and my units are the fanatics). Can he charge my unit, cause he sees them and just run over fanatic/s, or he has to specifically charge the fanatic/s, take the hits and stop at the fanaticīs position?

3. What happens when the hit is rolled on scatter dice during the fanaticīs movement? Is the fanatic standing on place?

thanks for answers

theunwantedbeing
07-10-2013, 12:43
1. Correct.
2. He can charge though your fanatics.
3. There should be a little arrow on the "hit", they move in that direction.
If your scatter dice has no "hit" then you'll have to keep re-rolling untill you get a direction or buy dice that are more clear.

It's worth making up a template to go over the scatter dice, it can be a big arrow with a hole in the middle to let it slot over the dice.
This is just to make it extra clear which direction the dice are indicating (and to make it harder to misjudge).

Mid'ean
07-10-2013, 12:48
1) When he reaches 8" you can release your fanatics and send them in any direction you wish. You can also release them from inside your own unit to increase the chance of them stopping in front of your/his unit so he will take 2d6 hits when he runs into them and stops on them. Very Orky!

2) You can't charge fanatics as they are not legel charge target. He would charge your unit and eat the fanatic hits on the way in.

3) There is a little arrow on the to hit dice, showing direction.

SVKBaki
07-10-2013, 19:17
Thanks, great input from you guys. Obviously I have the older GW dice, from 7 th edition where there is no such thing as little arrow on the hit.
Great idea with the arrow template.

So if I release fanatic from inside of my unit, will it deal the hits to parent unit as well?

Mr_Rose
07-10-2013, 19:40
Pretty sure they've never not made artillery dice without the little arrow, certainly they've been there since at least fifth edition. It may be quite small, however.

On your new question; not on release, no, but there's nothing stopping the fanatic from scattering back into the parent unit in subsequent turns.

Mid'ean
07-10-2013, 19:57
Why wouldn't the parent unit take hits if released thru them?

theunwantedbeing
07-10-2013, 19:57
So if I release fanatic from inside of my unit, will it deal the hits to parent unit as well?

Yes.
Although it's not the most sporting of things to be doing (except when it panics the parent unit and they flee).

Generally you pick a point on the unit in the direction of the enemy unit and release from there, so the fanatic never comes into contact with the parent unit and so doesn't inflict any damage.

SVKBaki
07-10-2013, 21:17
And in case I choose the point in the back or middle of the unit and send him forwards? I would assume that the parent unit will receive hits. But I am asking as the rules in some cases are not much correlated with common sense.

Lord Inquisitor
07-10-2013, 21:24
And in case I choose the point in the back or middle of the unit and send him forwards? I would assume that the parent unit will receive hits. But I am asking as the rules in some cases are not much correlated with common sense.

Let me put it this way: there's nothing in the rules that actually stops you from doing this.

This is considered rather naughty however as it can basically be used in a variety of ways to force the enemy to take the full hits from all fanatics without random dice rolls getting in your way.