PDA

View Full Version : Daemons and Tau

Mattyhavok
07-10-2013, 18:54
I was at a 2000 pt tournament this weekend and thought I would share a list with you guys. There was no double foc allowed.

It went something like this:

Tau:

Farsight bomb

4 units of firewarriors with an aegis w/ comms relay

Daemons:

1 nurgle herald

1 unit of nurglings

60 khorne hounds

This list dominated the event. Mind you it was a small local event, about 20 people. How would you feel about this pairing? Obviously it is a travesty against fluff, but at the same time the 2 elements work extremely well together. The dogs flood the field and provide instant pressure, while farsight comes down and obliterates anything not tied up by said dogs. Fortunetly I did not have to play against this list.

DoctorTom
07-10-2013, 19:01
I actually think it's nice to see someone using Desperate Allies. It seems like far too often people only consider Blood Brother allies, maybe think offhandedly once about Allies of Convenience and ignore Desperate Allies totally.

And, at least it's not a generic Riptide spam army.

Konovalev
07-10-2013, 19:15
Seems extremely light on anti-air. A single aegis only goes so far, though I guess the farsight bomb could pull some AA duty but I would think they would have more important things to do what with being the ranged hammer of the list.

As for fluffy, well Farsight is a known radical. Maybe he came into posession of a portalglyph, opened it, and ran like hell. :evilgrin:

IcedAnimals
07-10-2013, 19:22
Daemons as desperate allies works pretty well for gunline armies because your gunline isnt moving and the daemons are deepstriking/scouting/outflanking and never end up close enough to your own troops for it to be an issue.

Though I have to ask. how is he taking 60 flesh hounds? There isn't double FOC in play. And an allied unit can only take 1 fast attack choice. So 20. And if you are going to take a unit of flesh hounds why not take karanak as your HQ.

EDIT: oh and farsight fell to chaos, khorne in particular if I recall. so fluff wise its A-ok!

CrownAxe
07-10-2013, 19:32
Are these allies? because if so it doesn't seem like a legal list

jackers
07-10-2013, 20:07
No matter which is primary and which is allied, the list is not legal. The max unit size for hounds is 20, and allies can only take 1 Fast Attack choice and up to 2 troops (meaning that the Farisight Bomb can't be the allies either).

Mattyhavok
07-10-2013, 20:24
Sorry guys. I did a poor job of fully describing the scene to you. This was a team tournament, with a shared foc. Both players had to take 1 hq and 1 troop, then fill in the rest as desired. He took all 3 fast attack, that's how he was able to get 60 dogs. Sorry again for the confusion.

jackers
07-10-2013, 20:29
ah ok, that makes more sense :) sounds like quite a powerful list. I would love to try a tourney like this at some point.

Mattyhavok
07-10-2013, 20:31
As far as farsight going khorne? Is there fluff reference to this? I doubt it will be a direct statement, but are there hints to this?

IcedAnimals
08-10-2013, 00:01
As far as farsight going khorne? Is there fluff reference to this? I doubt it will be a direct statement, but are there hints to this?

He uses a daemon weapon that steals peoples souls, he "saw the truth" in his empire after seeing khorne daemons, and now has a penchant for close combat where no tau before him would ever want to be there. Just hints, nothing more. But it really isn't a stretch and if there must be "chaos tau" farsight is as close as it can get.

Merqu
08-10-2013, 10:39

only theories, it's more likely to be Necron based, IMO, Amulet of Moloch is rather anti-warp. It could also just as easily be Eldar. Personally I prefer it to be an ancient, long departed civilisation. Not everything in 40k has to be "Chaos/Necrons/Eldar did it". Farsight and his enclaves seem remarkably in control of themselves, barring Farsights obvious PTSD, (Which weirdly makes him more human than all the other races) to be ravaging Chaos worshippers. Read the Enclave supplement. It really is a fantastic read and insight to His history and what the enclaves are :)

Oh, also another thing which, again IMO, goes against Chaos is that the enclaves has no issue with their Empire bretheren. They don't actually fight the Empire

Bartali
08-10-2013, 13:38
I miss 5th ed when it was possible to run balanced all comers lists at tournaments. Lurching from one extreme build to another (often changing monthly) isn't my cup of tea.

Akwikone
08-10-2013, 16:03
EDIT: oh and farsight fell to chaos, khorne in particular if I recall. so fluff wise its A-ok!

Where did you hear/read that? Farsight just found out about chaos and knows the Ethereals knew about it and aren't telling anyone. The Dawn Blade is a Daemon weapon, but Farsight doesn't really know how it works, or how to use it and the weapon doesn't seem to affect him beyond extending his life.

CrownAxe
08-10-2013, 22:12
I miss 5th ed when it was possible to run balanced all comers lists at tournaments. Lurching from one extreme build to another (often changing monthly) isn't my cup of tea.

you and i remember 5ed very differently

FraustyTheSnowman
09-10-2013, 04:48
Exactly what I was thinking. I've never seen an edition of this game that's favored any sort of balance.

Bartali
09-10-2013, 07:12
5th may have had it's faults, but it was fairly easy to build a balanced take all comers list to take to a Tournament. No such thing is possible in 6th with the extreme builds possible.

Konovalev
09-10-2013, 14:55
5th may have had it's faults, but it was fairly easy to build a balanced take all comers list to take to a Tournament. No such thing is possible in 6th with the extreme builds possible.

Which is a good thing no? Now you can't have a single list dominate all you need to pick and choose your strengths and weaknesses and make deliberate decisons on army composition.

aim
09-10-2013, 15:43
Which is a good thing no? Now you can't have a single list dominate all you need to pick and choose your strengths and weaknesses and make deliberate decisons on army composition.

Some people (note: not me), don't like this, they prefer to just be able to read the interwebs, go spend their money and have their 'win list'. /shrug

Bartali
09-10-2013, 17:55

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here ? You've just described tournament lists in 5th ed, 6th tournament lists are nothing like that.

Lord Damocles
09-10-2013, 18:05
Best hope the enemy don't deploy that terrible weapon which is the bane of all Khorne's hounds: stairs.

Konovalev
09-10-2013, 20:02
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here ? You've just described tournament lists in 5th ed, 6th tournament lists are nothing like that.

In 5th you could go parking lot and win because it covered all bases. In 6th you need anti-air, but most anti-air isn't useful against ground targets. So you must decide, do you take enough anti-air to counter a flyer heavy list such as necron wing, triple baledrake/vendetta and run the risk that your anti-air will be wasted points against opponents who bring no or few flyers?

With the introduction of AP on power weapons you must now balance your AP2 (which tends to be unwieldy) with your non-AP2. No longer is a squad with a few power weapons a catchall. With some AP2 weapons you can take on 2+ but faster opponents will maul you because you will strike last.

Bartali
10-10-2013, 07:28
6th ed tournament builds aren't that simple unfortunately.

The most recent popular build is the Screamer Star with it's 2++ re-rollable save. It's not unbeatable, but requires specific things to be taken in the list. Taking these things weakens you against other popular tournament builds. Simply, it's Rock/Paper/Scissors.

Konovalev
10-10-2013, 14:50
Simply, it's Rock/Paper/Scissors.

Which sounds a whole lot better than bringing a single "all comers" list and being able to beat everyone with it.

Sir Didymus
10-10-2013, 16:17
I actually think it's nice to see someone using Desperate Allies. It seems like far too often people only consider Blood Brother allies, maybe think offhandedly once about Allies of Convenience and ignore Desperate Allies totally.

And, at least it's not a generic Riptide spam army.

Well, I'm doing a Tau/Dark Eldar alliance :)