PDA

View Full Version : What are your answers to the new DE War Hydra?

Citadel97501
08-10-2013, 09:24
Hello all,

I am just wondering what are your ways of dealing with the new War hydra since you pretty much need to kill it in one volley or it and a brother will eat your entire army. I personally play High Elves, Warriors of Chaos, and Ogres so I will post a few ideas I have. Basically all you need is to do 5 wounds first.

I will be noting what I think works, if you have a different opinion please post it, we all need to learn our best solutions.

High Elves
-18 Sisters of Avelorn, with a Hand Maiden with the Reaver Bow kill it in one volley on average rolls at long range. I happen to love this unit anyway, especially since it fits in right next to my beloved Frost Phoenix. As a note you can fit in 20 with a Flamespyre instead depending on your taste. (35 fit in 500 points, so 2 squads of 17+hand maiden are terrifying for DE.)

-15 Silver Helms, these can also kill it before it can attack so they are another viable option, with the added benefit that they are core, (Perfect fit for 1500 points with Full Command.)

-Bolt Throwers, are not worth it even with the reduced cost due to the beautiful sisters, being higher BS and more reliable on the wound, unless you run into Lizardmen a lot stick with the Sisters.

Ogres
-8 Man Eaters with Braces of Hand Guns, these do not kill it in one volley but can do 1/2 the wounds, on the initial volley and clean up when it charges, either way you want them for sniping the Blood Cauldron Hag, and other BSB types.

-Thundertusk, the harpoon does OK and should be able to kill it when it charges, and while its not you have two artillery pieces destroying his units or the Hydra.

-Iron Blaster, this works pretty well at killing the War Hydra or any other monster it also has the added benefit of being cheaper than the standard War Hydra due to the Breath Weapon.

Warriors of Chaos
-This army I believe will struggle to kill it in one volley, due to a shortage of shooting and being designed around killing enemy units rather than cheap effective monsters.

-10 Khorne Warriors with Halberds kill it, but you probably fielded a larger group of Nurgle with Shields who don't kill it on average.

-20 Khorne Flail Marauders, also can kill it but this is a bare bones affair and has a reasonable chance to lose.

-Ogres with GW's, or Trolls can kill it but at a slightly bad trade on points.

-Demon Princes, Chimera, and the other monster answers would much rather be stuck in with another unit stomping face, but in emergencies they can be used although there is very little chance to kill it in under 3 rounds.

BattleofLund
08-10-2013, 09:36
While trying to console our whimpering High Elf player, I suggested this: twelve White Lions, four wide. As long as they're unafraid, on average they will kill it in one round. (He has used it to hunt my Giants, but hadn't realised just how the Hydra has changed.)

Edit: for myself, I guess Warriors with greatweapons? That should do it.

2nd Edit: also note that if you shoot it but don't kill it, it can go hide'n'heal in it's turn - but if you charge it, you get two rounds of hand-to-hand before it can heal.

rocdocta
08-10-2013, 09:46
what does it do?

Citadel97501
08-10-2013, 10:01
Battle of Lund,

-I would have to say no on the warriors with GW's, they would lose a few before fighting due to the GW giving them ASL, there is never a good reason to give up Initiative 5. 10 Blender Warriors do fine, (10 Khorne with Halberds) 20 attacks hitting first at strength 5.

-If you meant 20 x Khorne Marauders with Great Weapons thats a different story and actually works unless he takes a Breath Weapon (Which he will...), instead look at 20 x Khorne Marauders with Flails its a bit cheaper and I believe kills it even with its breath weapon. (Can't remember Initiative on the War Hydra off hand, 3?)

Rakariel
08-10-2013, 10:15
I think the question is not how to kill one but multiple hydras. Because the monster is pretty cheap and can be included in most lists I would always take two atleast (in a normal list) or even three plus two Kharibdyss going the monster mash route for target saturation.

BattleofLund
08-10-2013, 10:56
Battle of Lund,

-I would have to say no on the warriors with GW's, they would lose a few before fighting due to the GW giving them ASL, there is never a good reason to give up Initiative 5. 10 Blender Warriors do fine, (10 Khorne with Halberds) 20 attacks hitting first at strength 5.

-If you meant 20 x Khorne Marauders with Great Weapons thats a different story and actually works unless he takes a Breath Weapon (Which he will...), instead look at 20 x Khorne Marauders with Flails its a bit cheaper and I believe kills it even with its breath weapon. (Can't remember Initiative on the War Hydra off hand, 3?)

To get 20 attacks against a Hydra with Khornate Halberdiers you would need to horde them. How do you horde 10 Warriors? Maybe you meant 30 Warriors. Or you meant you flanked it?

The reason I wrote 'Warriors with greatweapons' is that's what I meant. I should have qualified 'Khornate' though. :) Unlike Halberd Warriors GW Warriors wound on 3's and the Hydra gets no save. Since your question stipulated 'kill it in one go' Khorne Halberdiers fall slightly below the probability line - they do 'just' 4.5 wounds (about), while Khorne Greatweapon Warriors (if only four survive to strike) will do 5.3. Again, about.

The Hydra is Ini2.

Cynigher
08-10-2013, 13:01
To get 20 attacks against a Hydra with Khornate Halberdiers you would need to horde them.

alternatively frenzied warriors would get 3 attacks each on the front rank and 5 supporting

ewar
08-10-2013, 13:07
What were your answers to the older, better hydra? Rinse and repeat and probably save yourself a few points.

Triple Hydra, Double Kharybdis will be tricky, but any monster mash list presents a challenge like that (same for LM monster spam). The new hydra is so much easier to kill it's unreal.

LordofDestruction1992
08-10-2013, 14:17
I feel my Slaaneshi Warriors of Chaos force will hand it buy chucking a exalted hero of slaanesh on barded steed with 6 chaos knights into it rinse and repeat if that dosent kill it im sure being hit by Choir as well will put a end to its misery

BigbyWolf
08-10-2013, 16:24
I feel my Slaaneshi Warriors of Chaos force will hand it buy chucking a exalted hero of slaanesh on barded steed with 6 chaos knights into it rinse and repeat if that dosent kill it im sure being hit by Choir as well will put a end to its misery

You seem pretty confident for someone who only decided to use a Slaanesh army ten minutes previously:

I must admit ive decided to switch to a Mono Slaanesh army mainly as I weirdly prefere slaanesh to undivided (have been reading up on slaanesh fluff)

Spiney Norman
08-10-2013, 16:43
Charge it with a stegadon ancient, if the sharpened horns don't kill it on the charge you're pretty unlucky, if the stegs attacks don't strip off its final wound you need to get new dice.

LordofDestruction1992
08-10-2013, 17:20
You seem pretty confident for someone who only decided to use a Slaanesh army ten minutes previously:

Because I used a pretty similar unit to kill the Hydra under a previous book with the exception of it was a unit of Tzeenchian Knights and exalted and replace choir wiuth infernal gateway :P

hamsterwheel
08-10-2013, 17:36
The new war hydra has it's advantages and disadvantages compared to it's last incarnation. If you were forced to tarpit the old hydra, it got a huge boost because it probably won't ever die. If you could kill it in 1 or two rounds with flaming, it got a nerf because you'll still be able to kill it, but now you don't need flaming.

sulla
09-10-2013, 06:40
I would try to wound it, reducing its attacks in combat and forcing it to take a break test on it's pathetic Ld. Doesn't look too scary to me. Note that it only heals at the end of its turn; thats a long time to wait if you're taking wounds...

the_picto
09-10-2013, 08:48
I'm not seeing the big deal. It's worse than it used to be and it was manageable before, broken but manageable.

Poseidal
10-10-2013, 16:27
I played a game, and I don't think Hydras are a massive problem. With their new 'regeneration', a Gorebeast chariot went through two hydras by causing more wounds on it than it could do back and then chased them down on combat resolution, and it was much easier making those wounds stick. While the Gorebeast is one of the tougher chariots, anything that can beat it in combat resolution will probably get it to run, and even if you don't chase it down, unless they send their general after it, it has poorer than average odds of rallying.

MasterSparks
10-10-2013, 19:34
Terrorgheists ought to rip them a new one on behalf of the VC.

Edit: And Banshees as well!

Don Zeko
10-10-2013, 23:33
Of all the things to worry about in the new DE book for non-DE players, hydras strike me as something that should be pretty far down the freakout list.

Citadel97501
11-10-2013, 02:35
Remember they are dirt cheap, Don.
-With the Breath Weapon it costs the same as 15 dark elf RXB... which I think are a really good tag team. pop the chaff then shatter the line/death star with hydras.

Rudra34
11-10-2013, 02:39
The new hydra is not all that scary. With the loss of generation is is very weak against shooting and will die quickly to any half-decent combat unit. Still a threat, but not like it was in the old book.

mostlyharmless
11-10-2013, 03:24
Gorebeast chariot with mark of khorne seems like a good match up to me. Hits like a ton of bricks before the hydra can fight, can shrug off any returning attacks and breath weapon. Yeah, that's the way to go.

sulla
11-10-2013, 06:11
Gorebeast chariot with mark of khorne seems like a good match up to me. Hits like a ton of bricks before the hydra can fight, can shrug off any returning attacks and breath weapon. Yeah, that's the way to go.There's not much in the chaos army a hydra is good against. A normal chariot (MoK as standard, of course), and gorebeast chariot, halberd warriors, daemon prince, hellcannon, hero on a disk... all the things you expect to see in a chaos list can beat a hydra one-on-one.

Soundwave
11-10-2013, 06:47
The war hydra is not the issue i feel it is easily dealt with.The main problem is the shades,darkriders and even bolt throwers in the initial first few turns hunting your anti hydra defences.A canny player will hide the hydra untill the support roles fufill thier duties for the hydra to reign pain upon you. Even keeping the hydra out of 24"in range will help it snub a cannon shot to regain its wounds without to much hassle.
The hydra is no longer a line breaker but an excellent mid field turn three to four support unit.

Shadeseraph
11-10-2013, 12:16
Dragon Princes in the face. And now, I can send them without a BotEF. They will deal 3 wounds, the hydra will hit back for a single wound, and flee on -3, -4 if the princes have a banner. If the hydra is supporting the BSB/general, I have a 8 man strong silver helm with my own bsb, which will manage on average 4.5 wounds with a +3 to combat res from banner, BSB and charge. The breath weapon is a bit more dangerous here, though.

That, and shooting, though I'm quite sure I'll be more interested in shooting down other, more dangerous threats.

Frankly, lack of hatred, attacks depending on the number of wounds left, no handlers and no regen means that effectively the hydra is down to 4-5 attacks at WS4 and S5, and it isn't halving combat res from wounds from units without flaming attacks. That's not scary at all. Also, it has lost its role as pure flanker, as LD6 means it needs to be close to the general or risk fleeing from some panic tests, so it is pretty predictable.

I feel that most of my units can reliably deal with it if they deal with it alone. It is dangerous as a support element, but by itself is not toughter than a Chaos Chariots, better mobility, worse charge range, strikes at I2 instead of at I5 and only has a couple more attacks (and only assuming it doesn't get hurt before it gets to strike, which is fairly unlikely) at WS4. Remember: it's regen only works once every two combat phases.

The biggest problem with it is that Dark elves have better chaff control than chaos thanks to solid Fast Cav and actual shooting.

Dreyer
11-10-2013, 15:56
Skinks. lots and lots of skinks

Lord Solar Plexus
12-10-2013, 13:32
I am just wondering what are your ways of dealing with the new War hydra since you pretty much need to kill it in one volley or it and a brother will eat your entire army.

That's a rather debatable proposition. A couple of Knights should win convincingly and run it down. Cannon, Lumi and Demis or a STank would, too.

Running two is possible but a bit unfriendly. I'd think about that twice before starting an arms' race.

To get 20 attacks against a Hydra with Khornate Halberdiers you would need to horde them.

What are you talking about? :wtf:

The bearded one
12-10-2013, 13:45

* crunches numbers *

Lol, despite people naysaying his comment, I think he's right. A hydra is on a 50mm wide base, right? So 4 chaos warriors can contact it. Khorne warriors have 3 attacks each, so that's 12 attacks and 4 supporting attacks. You need to be a horde to get another 4 from the 3rd rank and have 20 attacks.

logan054
12-10-2013, 13:53
Terrorgheists ought to rip them a new one on behalf of the VC.

Edit: And Banshees as well!

Or a spirit host, far cheaper, just needs to win combat by one and break it with its crappy leadership

The bearded one
12-10-2013, 15:48
So all it needs to so is charge ;)

logan054
12-10-2013, 18:35
well most people use 3 bases, one is bound to get a charge :p

Ramius4
12-10-2013, 20:40
My answers? Ummm, point and laugh since Hydras aren't nearly as good as they were in the previous book?

Knifeparty
12-10-2013, 21:34
Step one: Take any unit available in your army
Step two: Beat the hydra

It's sad because not only does the hydra not have the defence to get to the enemy anymore, it doesn't have the leadership to not panic and run at the drop of the hat and if you ever made it to combat you'd be beaten by an average unit because it sucks in combat too.

The only things going for it are thunder stomp, flame breath and it's cheapish, not with the breath weapon though...

Artinam
12-10-2013, 21:38
For Bretonnians this monster has become easier to deal with. Heroic Killing Blow still works and without its save Trebuchet and even Knights do a lot more damage to it.

warplock
13-10-2013, 07:30
Surprised that anyone needs 'answers' for it, it's about as deadly as a Varghulf (can have more attacks, but has no hatred) but about half as resilient. Its regeneration is cool but won't help it at all if the opponent wants it dead. I hardly envision two of them 'eating an entire army'.

Lord Solar Plexus
13-10-2013, 08:11
Step one: Take any unit available in your army
Step two: Beat the hydra

I think that's taking it a bit too far. As you yourself point out, infantry will often suffer from thunderstomp, while a low to medium numbers of S3 or S5 attacks won't do much against it. Cannon and other warmachines however run the risk of wasting their shots when it regenerates its wounds. Then there is the breath weapon - and most actual units are more expensive.

Two of them might not outright eat an army but I can see them being pretty frustrating.

Lance Tankmen
13-10-2013, 08:37
I think that's taking it a bit too far. As you yourself point out, infantry will often suffer from thunderstomp, while a low to medium numbers of S3 or S5 attacks won't do much against it. Cannon and other warmachines however run the risk of wasting their shots when it regenerates its wounds. Then there is the breath weapon - and most actual units are more expensive.

Two of them might not outright eat an army but I can see them being pretty frustrating. i see you defending the hydra on a few threads now and i have to say, its like you're trying to say its still just as good/useful as before. The impression im getting from the new rules is that it is very unlike its old self in 7th ed, people used to fear the hydra but now once they fight it and beat it a few games im sure they will worry less and less. Sure its cheaper but its also very, very weak. From what I've gathered 3 big things happened to remove it from the "do i care that its charging me?" list.

1) regeneration, honestly it could still die before with it but now without... well. The replacements biggest flaw is working only on your turn, one turn of shooting, one turn of magic and two turns to kill a T5 4+ AS WS4 model. i really like the new concept but feel its too weak in its current stage. Despite the community outrage at such a wish i would of like the new rule and regeneration :D

2) loss of handlers,not a huge deal but 6 extra attacks didnt hurt(you) and they are on the model.. in fact if they had kept the handlers they may of removed that silly hiding they got last book and would of been cannon ball sponges (5-6 to wound them). plus with losing attacks as it takes wounds it really could of used those extra 6 attacks to score some res.(it wont always be getting to fight infantry)

3) the loss of the handlers also gives it Ld 6 which is too terrible to make it a lone flanker or handle a lost combat on its own.

honestly if they would of done 1 of 2 things id say it was still a great monster( it may be good but that remains to be seen). Either let it have Regen and this new regain wound thing, or give it its handlers back so they can steer it on the sides safely. i feel the first few games people have with it will be an eye opener as it will no longer hold a flank, and a few people will simply drop the hydra or take the time and pain to learn its new role, which isn't being a solo beast chomping units anymore.

Lord Solar Plexus
13-10-2013, 09:16
i see you defending the hydra on a few threads

Now I feel I'm being watched, Lance! ;)

I'm trying to say exactly what I write: "Pick any unit" is obviously false and hyperbole; not even Knifeparty actually plays like that. Your impression is also at least partly wrong. After all, I did call it a debatable premise that you "need to kill a Hydra in one go or else". I also feel it is insubstantial what the Hydra was, or what it's relative performance is compared to some old book. That's not relevant in-game. I also hasten to add that all I have is a vague impression, as I don't have the book.

Having said that, my points mostly stand (notwithstanding the possibility that they could be refined or rebutted at a later stage):

1) Two turns of combat killing it (or any other monster) presupposes a certain quality of opponent. 12 S3 attacks won't do that. 12 S4 attacks might cause one wound; depending on static res, that could be enough - or not. I feel there's a lot of hyperbole in such statements.

2) The past: As I said, these relative comparisons are pretty much useless. You can't take the old model, so what does it matter? It's just a psychological thing.

3) The handlers: Well, yeah, a couple of S3 attacks. Big deal.

4) The leadership: I really think we should get some perspective here. Chimeras have abysmal Ld, too. I realize there are a lot of specific differences between the two but Ld alone certainly isn't, especially not since this problem can be ameliorated relatively easily.

At the end of the day, don't let yourself get charged by something that'll kill it in one round. If the Hydra charges those Knights, we're back to 8-12 S3/4 attacks and little static res.

Lord Solar Plexus
13-10-2013, 09:22
i see you defending the hydra on a few threads

Now I feel I'm being watched, Lance! ;)

I'm trying to say exactly what I write: "Pick any unit" is obviously false and hyperbole; not even Knifeparty actually plays like that. Your impression is also at least partly wrong. After all, I did call it a debatable premise that you "need to kill a Hydra in one go or else". I also feel it is insubstantial what the Hydra was, or what it's relative performance is compared to some old book. That's not relevant in-game. I also hasten to add that all I have is a vague impression, as I don't have the book.

Having said that, my points mostly stand (notwithstanding the possibility that they could be refined or rebutted at a later stage):

1) Two turns of combat killing it (or any other monster) presupposes a certain quality of opponent. 12 S3 attacks won't do that. 12 S4 attacks might cause one wound; depending on static res, that could be enough - or not. I feel there's a lot of hyperbole in such statements.

2) The past: As I said, these relative comparisons are pretty much useless. You can't take the old model, so what does it matter? It's just a psychological thing.

3) The handlers: Well, yeah, a couple of S3 attacks. Big deal.

4) The leadership: I really think we should get some perspective here. Chimeras have abysmal Ld, too. I realize there are a lot of specific differences between the two but Ld alone certainly isn't, especially not since this problem can be ameliorated relatively easily.

At the end of the day, don't let yourself get charged by something that'll kill it in one round. If the Hydra charges those Knights, we're back to 8-12 S3/4 attacks and little static res.

logan054
13-10-2013, 18:02

You only get 16/17 attacks, you only get 4 chaos warriors on b2b contact with the hydra unless its base size has gotten bigger.

Surprised that anyone needs 'answers' for it, it's about as deadly as a Varghulf (can have more attacks, but has no hatred) but about half as resilient. Its regeneration is cool but won't help it at all if the opponent wants it dead. I hardly envision two of them 'eating an entire army'.

I love varghulfs, they make great mage hunters ;)

Roshan
15-10-2013, 13:00
I love varghulfs, they make great mage hunters ;)

I used to love my Varghulf - Hydra Duels.... now i guess the Varghulf has become the top dog :P

Piercefierce
16-10-2013, 08:44
hydras are the least of your problems when facing DE. No regen anymore!

Lord Solar Plexus
16-10-2013, 09:04
They have more regen than before actually.

Lord Dan
18-10-2013, 06:47
They have more regen than before actually.

I'm confused, because I thought their new form of regen actually just increased their attack profile. Could someone give us a quick overview of their new rules?

Citadel97501
18-10-2013, 07:24
Lord Dan...

OK so lets say your ne War hydra gets popped in the face for 4 wounds for a cannon ball, it takes all 4 of these wounds since it doesn't have regeneration but then it gets to roll 4 dice (IE one for each wound it has taken during the game.), and on a 4+ you heal a wound back. Frankly its much more resilient to cannon balls now since unless they kill it in one volley all that is likely to happen is that you pissed off the Hydra.

4+ armor save (I think), Strength 5, Toughness 5, it costs under 200 points if you include a strength 4 breath weapon, and is in the special slot along with all of your other goodies.

It gets 3+ its remaining wounds in attacks, so if it gets wounds back it gets attacks that it would have lost.

Lord Dan
18-10-2013, 07:32
Does it get to attempt to heal if it otherwise would have died? Say the cannonball had done 6 wounds, for instance.

Rakariel
18-10-2013, 07:42
Does it get to attempt to heal if it otherwise would have died? Say the cannonball had done 6 wounds, for instance.
No, if a shot kills it in one go its dead and can`t try to regenerate anymore. Its three attacks plus one for ever wound it still has left, therefore it has a minimum of four and a maximum of eight attacks.

Lord Dan
18-10-2013, 07:54
No, if a shot kills it in one go its dead and can`t try to regenerate anymore

So if a cannonball hits and wounds it there is now a 33% chance of killing it outright, whereas previously there was only a 17% chance of doing so. Also it's attacks decrease if you hurt it, it no longer has Hatred...

What am I missing here?

Rakariel
18-10-2013, 08:18
I am someone who thinks the hydra is still very viable. Its rather futile to compare it to the old one as that version was just horribly undercosted. Would you put a points tag on the old hydra now I would say its atleast 260+ points for what it does. The old hydra was far better than the new one thats true but the new one is still usable. Yes, it can be killed far more easily than before but you have to concentrate fire on it because if you don`t she can just grow everything back again if she doesn`t die in one go. If you team her up with a Life Sorceress the odds of survival increase by alot aswell (which wasn`t possible before).

Don`t forget, even though the hydra had regen, said regen could be taken off by fire. This is not possible anymore. Using the new hydra requires more thought and more synergizing listbuilding. You can`t just throw one in and let her rush forward doing everything by herself anymore. The hydra is different, and while not as powerful, she can be a threat still. I have tried her in a few games now and she never really did dissapoint tbh. Granted I never only took one but mostly two (and once even three) but it was always such a delight seeing my opponents face when I grew those wounds back. And two hydras in the front and a beastlord on manticore in the flanks broke some otherwise pretty resilent units ;)

Edit: You are missing that the hydra is only Ld6 now and has no more handler Ld nor attacks.

Citadel97501
18-10-2013, 10:32
Frankly I think the error people are making is thinking of only using one Hydra or of it being used in a vacuum. If fielded with proper support I think its much more terrifying than the last version.

Examples: 2 Squads of Warlocks from rare, with 3 Hydra's, and a Pegasus Sorceress. This would have an extreme effect on the current meta.

Rakariel
18-10-2013, 10:44
Frankly I think the error people are making is thinking of only using one Hydra or of it being used in a vacuum. If fielded with proper support I think its much more terrifying than the last version.
Examples: 2 Squads of Warlocks from rare, with 3 Hydra's, and a Pegasus Sorceress. This would have an extreme effect on the current meta.
Exactly what I was trying to say. Just because Hydras aren`t the lone linebreakers anymore does in no way imply they are worse off. There are many possibilities where they are really good if fielded with a proper listsetup.

Poseidal
18-10-2013, 11:06

I would say Hydras are more of support for an infantry block rather than vice versa (so not with proper support, but AS proper support). It was quite successful against me used that way, similar to a chariot charging into the side of a unit and you are more likely to win combat resolution so it won't run, as it has a similar footprint (where cavalry is generally wider).

When I caught it on it's own, a Gorebeast chariot charged, beat by a small number of wounds and then overran both hydras due to them being away from the general and having low leadership, and my wounds actually did 'stick' which they wouldn't have with old regeneration.

warplock
18-10-2013, 14:05
So if a cannonball hits and wounds it there is now a 33% chance of killing it outright, whereas previously there was only a 17% chance of doing so. Also it's attacks decrease if you hurt it, it no longer has Hatred...

What am I missing here?

For some reason the previous poster neglected to mention its defining feature, which is that it rolls to regain any missing wounds at the end of each of its turns. So, if it sufferers 4 wounds, then at the end of its turn it rolls 4d6 and any 4+ regains a wound. Then, if it still has wounds missing, it keeps rolling at the end of each turn. Not overpowered in my opinion but pretty cool.

The bearded one
18-10-2013, 14:10
Also if it were to suffer wounds early in the game, it can stay out of a fight for a turn or two and heal himself back to full health.

The new hydra is more likely to die in one shot because it no longer has regeneration, but rather than having to depend on 1 single saving throw, then (assuming it doesn't suffer 5+ wounds in one go) it is more likely to survive additional cannonballs in future turns, by being able to regain wounds. If the previous hydra suffered wounds from a cannonball, his woundcount was permanently reduced, and he was more and more likely to go down.

The new hydra can potentially tank an enemy unit all game, regaining wounds it loses along the way and -if you're lucky- undoing all damage it's suffered all the previous rounds in one go.

"Yay, I got it down to 1 wound!"
* roll *
"Nope, I'm back to 4 wounds now."

Banville
18-10-2013, 14:57
Yep. I think what people are looking at as a stat and rule change should actually be looked at as a role change for the model. The Hydra is no longer a guided missile. It needs shepherding and support and even (shock horror) some magical buffing from time to time. Think of it as a WWII tank. On its own it will get surrounded and knocked out, but combine it with a unit they provide mutual support.