PDA

View Full Version : Black Numenoreans

Makaber
06-06-2006, 00:56
I need a good army to compliment my White Hand, and none of the good forces really appeal to me, so I thought I'd be unique and go with black numenoreans (or however you spell it). I'm a bit unsure how to approach the list, though.

A given is of course Erendil and Isildur, both extremely potent characters, and at a bargain price. The ring can also be very handy in certain escape-based scenarios, as well as Erendil's free heroic fight (for punching through lines). However, there is a significant lack of cavalry. The only thing in the list that can be horse mounted are the unnamed captains, something that would leave me with perhaps three cavalry models in a 600 pts. force, a very small (abeit powerful!) "unit".

How do you think it would work out, and how should I approach the list? I'm thinking maxing out on archers at least, to kill off opposing wargs/horses ASAP, but other than that, I'm at a loss. While my White Hand only includes 5 warg rides, I've found them tremendeously useful for keeping enemy cavalry at bay.

Long_Fang
06-06-2006, 01:24
I'm pretty new to LOTR. Is there a census that cavalry is necessary to do well in tournaments? I field a 500 Moria army with max amout of Goblins, 2 Trolls, 1 Captain and a Ringwraith. So far no cavalry, but then again I have only played 3 games.

Pertinax
06-06-2006, 06:07
You can in theory take Citadel Guard, and mount them on horses. They are one of the oldest "orders" around, and were founded to guard their king. i.e. Elendil.

Then, you have F4 cav!

The Judge
06-06-2006, 11:25
Not a bad idea at all there...

Gondorian
06-06-2006, 15:33
I'm pretty new to LOTR. Is there a census that cavalry is necessary to do well in tournaments? I field a 500 Moria army with max amout of Goblins, 2 Trolls, 1 Captain and a Ringwraith. So far no cavalry, but then again I have only played 3 games.

Cavalry are really useful to have in any army but they are not absolutely essential. Forces such as dwarves perform very well without them.
I personally love using cavalry of all descriptions and will be taking an entirely mounted force to the GT next year. My first GT as well so I'm really hoping they'll work well.

In regard to the numinorians (I can't spell either), lots of archers are a good thing especially for picking off big nasty trolls before they have a chance to get into close combat. Be aware that Isildur is quite vulnerable to enemy nazgul. The ring has its pros and cons.