PDA

View Full Version : A return to forced pursuit from hatred?

Harwammer
10-10-2013, 10:19
In previous editions the special rule 'Hatred' would force a unit to pursue fleeing enemies. This had lots of great applications, for example goblin wolf riders opening up dwarf castles or to change the facing of hard hitting enemy units.

Hypothetically (or looking forward to future editions, which ever way you want to look at it), would you like units with hatred to be forced to pursue (and overrun?) again?

Note: I'm not looking for 'no, it will ruin my beastmen' type responses, rather whether people think it is a good balancing mechanic for the hatred special rule.

BattleofLund
10-10-2013, 10:31
'Forced to pursue' without any chance of mitigation is too much, I think. I'd rather have 'Forced to charge hated enemy, unless Ld-test'.

I Am Forsaken
10-10-2013, 10:37
'Forced to pursue' without any chance of mitigation is too much, I think. I'd rather have 'Forced to charge hated enemy, unless Ld-test'.

So Frenzy??

BattleofLund
10-10-2013, 11:02
So Frenzy??

It's as much Frenzy as the original poster's 'Forced to Pursue/Overrun' is Frenzy. Also, Frenzy is 'forced to charge closest enemy unless Ld-test or already charging', Hatred could be 'forced to charge a Hated enemy unless Ld-test period'.

Spiney Norman
10-10-2013, 11:11
Forced overrun doesnt make much sense because your hated foe is already dead, forced pursuit does so that could maybe be characterful, the idea that you want to get after them and finish the job.

The thing is that forced pursuit is actually very easy to exploit to pull units out of position or exposing a flank to an enemy, that the reason why Lizardmen players always have a skink priest around to keep the saurus in line.

The idea of needing a Ld test to restrain from charging a hated foe would be both characterful and have virtually no effect on the game (because who fails Ld tests these days), so maybe that is the answer.

Chain
10-10-2013, 13:46
Forced pursuit unless cleared Ld test.
Forced charge is to much like Frenzy

Dark Reaper
10-10-2013, 14:37
You already have to pursue if you don't pass a ld test.

Chain
10-10-2013, 14:48
You already have to pursue if you don't pass a ld test.

which is how it should be

Dark Reaper
10-10-2013, 14:50
which is how it should be

Yeah, but you don't really need to put it as a special rule for hatred as all units already has to do it.

InquisitorAffe
10-10-2013, 15:51
Regiments totally losing all discipline because they hate their foe just doesn't seem very flavourful across the board. The most hardened dwarven veterans in all the kingdoms go running recklessly out of formation into an obvious trap because the chumps they just beat to pulp happened to be goblins?

I like the idea of re-rolling successful checks to restrain rather than straight up mandatory failure, and the BSB negating the penalty ties back in to it being related to the discipline of the regiment to follow orders and hold ground and not just that seeing a particular foe turns ever troop into a murder-mad marauder.

dalezzz
10-10-2013, 18:25
Maybe -1 to restrain rolls or something