PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Genera

Gingerwerewolf
10-10-2013, 11:29
What are the Genera (Multiple Genus) of the Tyranids? How should they be classified?

Heres what Ive got - thoughts would be appreciated!

Ripper Genus (Tunnel Rippers, Rippers and Winged Rippers)
Gaunt Genus (Hormagaunt, Termagant)
Guard Genus (Hive Guard, Tyrant Guard)
Thrope Genus (Venomthrope, Zoanthrope)
Vore Genus (Pyrovore, Biovore)
Warrior Genus (Warrior Prime, Warrior, Shrike, Lictor, Ravaner)
Ophidia Genus (Trygon Prime, Trygon, Mawloc)
Tyrant Genus (Hive Tyrant)
Big-uns Genus (Tyrannofex, Tervigon, Heirophant)
Harri Genus (Heirodules, Harridans)

Any more?

Grarik
10-10-2013, 12:45
I don't think you can really link venomthropes and zoanthropes into the same genus, there really isn't any similarity beyond the obvious long tail which is shared with several other tyranids like gargoyles and flying hive tyrants. It's more likely that they'd be there own genera, maybe with the zoanthrope being part of the same genus as the malanthrope. I'd put Ravager into the ophidia genus, the 3rd edition codex linked them to trygons and they have a very similar phenotype. I could imagine tyrannofexes and tervigons being in the same genus as heirophants, but the other gargantuans would be separate genera, one for the heirodules, one for the harridan, etc. Carnifexes would be a separate genus, although they might be in the same family as the guard genus. other than that, I'd agree with what you have here, although you forgot to add gargoyles to the gaunt genus

Moloch Sacrifice
10-10-2013, 14:24
In the previous Tyranid codex, there was actually a diagram tracing what the Imperium believed to be the genetic relation between all the Tyranid organisms (until that point). It even included some of the Epic exclusive creatures, like Malefactors and Exocrines.

I don't think you can really link venomthropes and zoanthropes into the same genus, there really isn't any similarity beyond the obvious long tail which is shared with several other tyranids like gargoyles and flying hive tyrants.
There's also the matter of the atrophied limbs (true, venomthropes have their lash whips, but the underlying limb is still very small). I do think a different genus would be a better fit; from the size and facial features I assmed it was an offshoot lictor.

put Ravager into the ophidia genus, the 3rd edition codex linked them to trygons and they have a very similar phenotype.
I assume you mean Raveners, which are explicitly stated as being an offshoot of the Warrior species. Whilst they certainly share a similarity with the Trygon, the limb proprtions, skull shape and torso are more similar to a Warrior.

could imagine tyrannofexes and tervigons being in the same genus as heirophants, but the other gargantuans would be separate genera, one for the heirodules, one for the harridan, etc
To be honest, looking at the Forge World miniatures I would say Heirodules and Harridans were similar enough to fit in the same genera, given the rapid rate of mutation within the Tyranid organisms. I do think the Heirophant should be separated and put with the Tyrannofex and Tervigon though, due to the similar hind limb structure.

Gingerwerewolf
10-10-2013, 15:08
Yes I did mean Raveners, sorry Ive changed the spelling now! Ive also updated the list to include your suggestions Moloch Sacrifice

Thats interesting and now that you mention it I can remember it.

This topic came from the fact that with an imminent release of new nids in Jan, they may try to make dual kits, and I wondered if we could speculate as to the box contents by using the Genera of Tyranids.

I was aware of the Raveners coming from Warriors, and Im now going to look for my 3rd Ed Codex

Grarik
10-10-2013, 22:40
I did mean Ravener, no idea why i put ravager. The 3rd edition codex does say that they're evolved from warriors, but it also says that for everything that isn't a gaunt including carnifexes, zoanthropes and genestealers. I agree that warriors and raveners are clearly related in some fashion, but equally its just as likely that the ravener and trygon are related. Maybe put them into the same family, rather than genus?