Demigryph Knights x 4
+musician

Huntsmen x 10
+musician

Huntsmen x 10
+musician

Great Cannon x 2

GRAND TOTAL = 2499

So I've taken a second pass at this. There are no rare choices in this list (only the helblaster or steam tank were candidates), as I felt that I needed more control over deployment and movement phases with my large infantry units being potentially exposed or outmanovered. Whilst the helblaster is nice the almost mandatory need to take an engineer just racks up the points too high for my tastes. The steam tank i am still potentially interested in, i might see if I can make an alternative list including it (it would make a lovely centrepiece).

The huntsmen units are my answer to controlling movement - two groups able to scout into woods and delay/harrass the enemy long enough to ensure my larger infantry blocks are able to position themselves to fight their desired matchups, as well as to give my cannons enough time to destroy threats.
I've been looking around for some cool models - I wanted to use the Lord of the Rings, Rangers of Middle Earth models, but they are too small - anyone know of some good alternatives?

The demigryph knights look *******' sweet and provide a mobile element to the army and will work well in conjunction with the greatswords to grind down enemy forces. They compliment the cannons and greatswords for target saturation.

The heroes work in pairs, witch hunter acts as bodyguard for the arch lector. Placing preferred enemy on any potential 'general-slayer' will act as a deterrent.
Arch lector has two loadouts, depending on what he's up against (anti-heroes sword build is standard if unknown). Captain and warrior-priest are run on the cheap but still provide some useful buffs - my light mage will throw some buffs their way to keep them happy.

Anyhow, there's the changes. Let me know if this is pure madness or if this list is workable.

iLLiTHiD
17-10-2013, 07:23
Any thoughts guys?

sigmarus
17-10-2013, 17:52
My first thought was to take a Hurricanum to help with all of that infantry, but you said you dont want one.

Noma90
18-10-2013, 14:24
1. You can't take armor of destiny on your arch lector and your BSB. Take the talisman of preservation on your BSB instead.

2. The large unit of halberdiers with the two characters is a lot of points. It's a horde with a lot of ways that can be charged, it's slow, and 1 S4 attack isn't going to be too effective, still good, Just be wary of this. I might even consider a unit of inner circle knights at the same points cost. You have a lot of infantry, and they'll require tons of support to stay alive.

3. I might consider a steam tank. It still has a cannon that can shoot, and it's an absolute monster in close combat.

iLLiTHiD
24-10-2013, 11:01
1. You can't take armor of destiny on your arch lector and your BSB. Take the talisman of preservation on your BSB instead.

2. The large unit of halberdiers with the two characters is a lot of points. It's a horde with a lot of ways that can be charged, it's slow, and 1 S4 attack isn't going to be too effective, still good, Just be wary of this. I might even consider a unit of inner circle knights at the same points cost. You have a lot of infantry, and they'll require tons of support to stay alive.

3. I might consider a steam tank. It still has a cannon that can shoot, and it's an absolute monster in close combat.

Thanks for your input. To address your points.

1. Sorry for the confusion regarding gear - I will submit a new list below this.
2. That could evolve the list from primarily a foot army to a mounted one. Run with a grand master + warrior priest in the inner circle knights. special choices as demigryphs and pistoliers. an interesting proposal, and I might go to look at making a mounted list. However, for now, I would like to see how a foot list can be built.
3. I could swap the demigryphs for a steam tank. However I feel that the presence of heavy cavalry is more useful in that they bring a new element of mobility to the army.

iLLiTHiD
24-10-2013, 11:04
I've decided to rework the list.
- swapped characters around: using a general instead and running 2 cheap warrior-priests. seems cleaner.

QUESTION: Better to use the 2x10+muso huntsmen units, or 1x10 and 1x5+muso pistoliers?

Lords

Grand Crusader, General of the Empire
[greatswords]
full plate armour, shield, talisman of preservation, sword of anti-heroes,
Dragonhelm, The Other Tricker's Shard
=207

Scarlet Oracle, Battle Wizard Lord (Light/Shadow)
[crossbows]
level 4, opal amulet, dispel scroll
=240

--------------------------------------------
Heroes

Scarlet Commander, Captain of the Empire
[halberdiers]
BSB, shield, armour of destiny
=137

Scarlet Paladin, Warrior-Priest
[greatswords]
heavy armour, shield
=69

Scarlet Paladin, Warrior-Priest
[halberdiers]
heavy armour, shield
=69

Core (627)

Scarlet Guardsmen, Halberdiers x 48
full command
*DETACHMENT*
Scarlet Soldiers, Swordsmen x 20
TOTAL=464

Scarlet Marksmen, Crossbows x 17
musician
=163

Special (1150)

Scarlet Knights, Greatswords x 38
Full command
=488

Scarlet Demigryph Riders, Demigryph Knights x 4
+musician
=242

Scarlet Hunters, Huntsmen x 10
+musician
=90

Scarlet Hunters, Huntsmen x 10
+musician
=90

Scarlet Cannoneers, Great Cannon
=120

Scarlet Cannoneers, Great Cannon
=120

Issues
There are two issues I'm not certain about.

1. I am considering either 2 units of 10 huntsmen+muso, or dropping a unit+the muso from the remaining huntsmen, and picking up pistoliers x5+muso to run alongside demigryphs. This option is on the table as I'm not sure i'll have board room for 20 huntsmen (too few woods to place?).

2. How to outfit my general? Here's some builds ive been working on.

1.great vs armies that run character deathstars
full plate armour, shield, talisman of preservation,
sword of anti-heroes, Dragonhelm, The Other Tricker's Shard

2.higher strength and option for defenses or bypass ward
full plate armour, shield, talisman of preservation, ogre blade,
AND
the other tricker's shard
OR
dragohelm, ironcurse icon

3.choice of fear or added dueling shenanigans
full plate armour, shield, talisman of preservation,
van horstmann's speculum,
AND
dragonhelm, warrior bane
OR
shrieking blade, enchanted shield (drop normal shield)

Any suggestions? I'm kind of at a loss for how to equip him.