PDA

View Full Version : Mangler squigs

Ben81
10-10-2013, 19:56
Hi, I know there has been a lot of discussion over manglers. I'm considering buying some but up until now have been put off my the cost! Does anyone know a cheaper alternative, or a site where I can buy the discounted GW ones? Are they worth it?

Nymie_the_Pooh
10-10-2013, 20:17
I know some buy a second base then split the two that come in the set between the two bases. A lot of people make their own. I've seen project logs where people have cut a mouth into a styrofoam ball then built up around it with putty. If you want to use a bakeable clay then you can use tin foil instead of styrofoam. Get some armature wire to form a skeleton for the legs then sculpt on top of it.

outbreak
10-10-2013, 21:38
some people split them onto 2 bases, some people just chain together regular squigs. I bought some mantic goblin mincer which look like tunnelling machines and put them on round bases and use those.

SVKBaki
11-10-2013, 01:04
I also splitted them on 2 bases and it is completely fine. The original concept is unneccesary high and problematic to transfer. I am thinking of using the colossal squig from FW when I have enough spare money. So far I am not aware of any cheapervand nice alternative to them, if you want big squigs.

SteveW
11-10-2013, 07:07
As long as you don't mind me saying I can see it as if it were the size of the real mini and it's still on a 60mm round base, I don't care what's on the base. I played a game with a guy who had a pair of them on 40mm square basses and they were just pairs of squigs, that was unsportsmanlike because it makes them easy to hide and hard to hit with artillery.

Yowzo
11-10-2013, 08:04
One of mine is the new skarsnik with gobbla and 3 more squigs on chains (on a round 60mm base, obviously).

The other one was made by a friend of mine, very similar to the GW concept that he sells to friends and that.

Morkash
11-10-2013, 08:17
I made mine relatively soon after the armybook was released and used two chained Bomb Squigs (from 40k) with the thrown fanatic (from the limited mini-diorama which was released with BfSP in 7th edition) behind them for one of them. The other one consists of "The Chase" with the bigger and smaller squig chained together, while the bigger one prepares to charge/eat an unaware Gnoblar standing on a rock. In both cases I used chain from the 40k Ork Fixin' kit which has various chains, ropes and other small bits originally used for modification of 40k vehicles.

Both my Manglers are therefore very small compared to the now released official model, yet I like them a lot and until now never had problems with other players. There should be pictures of them in my inactive blog if you're interested, here's the link to the post: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?286815-Morkash-paints-Orks-Dogs-of-War-and-Chaos&p=5351524&viewfull=1#post5351524

Rakariel
11-10-2013, 09:53
Bought the Mangler cause I like the looks of it. Split it in two because honestly the FC crap didn`t support the weight of the top squig which bent out of shape pretty soon. Besides you get two mangler for the (already steep) price of one. Makes the price justifyable.