PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Core: How many before things start getting "silly"

boli
11-10-2013, 13:55
Pretty much as the title says.

Personally I'm looking to expand my Wood elf core *before* the new book. Now I know you are saying "this is getting silly already" but hear me out; I want to basically buy the core whilst its cheap. It is *highly* unlikely that Dryads, Gladeguard and Glade Riders are going to be updated with the release and that basically what the (now cheap) battalion box has.... So around Christmas I've got my eye on bulking out my core.

But it got me thinking looking at the old WE book; outside of the treemen/kin/level4 life pretty much every decent choice in the army is in core... in fact you could build a pretty competitive army from 2 battalion boxes and a blister pack, but has anyone really maxed out the core choices to "silly" levels and how viable was it?

I mean add a level 4 mage with life hiding in a tree/unit and you can pretty much add the following:

8 x 20 Glade Guard (160 bows!)
OR
2 x 40 Glade Riders (2cavalry hordes)
OR
16 x 5 Glade Riders (Insane MSU list)
OR
22 x 8 Dryads (The forest is ALIVE!)

I don't mind saying I would not look forward to facing any of them... but realistically where does the "silly" line start for the core units in a standard battle?

Althwen
11-10-2013, 14:59
In 2.5k I know for a fact that 60 glade guard isnt silly. Above that you'd be taking away points from the units meant to divert and redirect and support those archers. No one ever won a battle by shooting alone.

WizzyWarlock
11-10-2013, 17:45
I wouldn't mind trying that Dryad list, though I doubt I'd go that far with it. I'd get a Drycha, throw in some Treekin, Wild Riders and a Beastweaver, then go crazy with the flood of Dryads. I've only got 40 Dryads at the moment so still a few away from even creating a 2500pt Drycha army.

MOMUS
11-10-2013, 18:03
I think shoots wood elf armies tend to go for a unit of 20ish with the flame banner then 4 or maybe 5(?) units of 10 GG as support, 2 eagles, at least 2 dryad units + characters.

JEFE8699
12-10-2013, 01:42
I thought Glade Riders were limited to 5-10 per unit

Akkaryn
12-10-2013, 10:13
I use a unit of 16 /w flaming banner, 2 units of 12 /w banner (fortitude for B&G) and 2 units of 10 for a total of 60. I have tried 80 and found it to be counter productive.

SteveW
13-10-2013, 03:27
I thought Glade Riders were limited to 5-10 per unit

They are, easy mistake to make though if you haven't played before 8th ed.

rolly_321
13-10-2013, 08:28
Glade riders are extremely expensive for what they do, beautiful models, and they can serve a purpose but compare their cost with other light cav..

As to maxing out on core, I think you'd be better off by mixing glade guard and dryads. All shooting is going to struggle with inevitable combat and has no answer to heavy cav. Dryads will fair better flanking units that have already been soften up and small units can help to delay heavy cav, unless they have magical attacks like skullcrushers in which case I really don't know what to suggest.

I think a dyrcha army could be really fun, don't have book with me currently but if i recall she allows units to come on through forests and has a multiuse moonstone. Its a shame we have put out extra forest in our deployment zone though.

boli
14-10-2013, 10:39
OK, I missed the max glade-rider size... not played with my old WEs much and even then I rarely go above 5 w. musician for the GRs.

But from the sounds of it you can never have too many Glade Guard or Dryads :P At least Dryads are easy to paint I'll have to keep that in mind when I expand :)

cyberspite
17-10-2013, 23:10
160 archers sounds fun but you would really struggle with keeping firing lanes open, in fact anymore then 50 / 60 and it would start getting tricky to bring them all to bear. Also, as soon as anything slightly hitty gets into contact they will go through them like dominoes.

Combine them with msu dryads though and it would work well enough compared with anything else in the book.