PDA

View Full Version : High Elves 2500 point Lothern Scouting Expedition

BigbyWolf
11-10-2013, 14:36
So, following on from my search for an interesting theme (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?382250-Suggest-to-me-a-silly-theme), and discussion in the High Elf tactica thread I've come up with the following list:

Characters:

Archmage- Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Book of Hoeth- 320

Noble- BSB, Banner of Eternal Flame, Longbow, Heavy Armour, Shield- 116

Noble- Griffon (ASF, +1S), Dragon Armour, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon- 305

Noble- Great Eagle (ASF, Armour Piercing), Lance, Dragon Armour, Shield of the Myrwrym, Reaver Bow- 191

Core:

30 Seaguard- Shields, Full Command- 390

20 Seaguard- Shields, Full Command- 270

Special:

3 Sky Cutters- Bolt Throwers- 360

Rare:

4 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers- 280

2 Great Eagles- ASF, Armour Piercing- 130

2 Great Eagles- ASF, Armour Piercing- 130

Total: 2492

Leaves me a few points to add a bow to the Griffon noble (to make it as shooty as possible), upgrade the BSB from heavy to dragon armour, or perhaps chuck one of the 5 point items on the Eagle Noble. Any suggestions on that?

Planning to stick the BSB and mage in the smaller unit of Sea Guard, as I'd rather see the big unit in combat. Although depending on how much the flaming attacks are needed I may move the BSB to the other unit. I would have liked to include some Sea Helms (preferably on Skycutters) but couldn't resist the Griffon, and once that was in the list I couldn't afford a single Sea Helm on Cutter (well, I could, but he would have been naked...damn 25% hero restriction! :mad:). I like the look of the Eagle-mounted noble though, and will probably use the mini-griff from Island of Blood as him.

The Seaguard fill min-core and give a lot of bow-shots, and having 4 repeater and 3 smaller bolt throwers backed up by the Reaver Bow give me a few higher strength shots.

The 9 flyers should be fun too. :p

So, now that the full list is out there, does anyone care to comment?

MOMUS
11-10-2013, 16:24
Lots of shooting and lots of mobility :yes:

I think this would be a fun list to play with especially the high amount of flying units.

BigbyWolf
15-10-2013, 17:41
Yeah, I can just see half the army huddled in a corner throwing arrows and bolts at the oncoming enemy before being charged and wiped out by some massed cavalry charge, while the rest of them flutter around the battlefield before group-charging a horde and getting wiped out!

At least, in the first game before I actually get a hang of the tactics!

Kahadras
15-10-2013, 21:44
Archmage- Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Book of Hoeth- 320

Looks OK. What lore is he taking? If it's High then I'd drop the Talisman of Preservation down to the Talisman of Endurance (as he's going to buff his ward save through Shield of Saphery.

Noble- BSB, Banner of Eternal Flame, Longbow, Heavy Armour, Shield- 116

I'd take Dragon armour over Heavy armour. You get the ward save and Fireborn.

Noble- Great Eagle (ASF, Armour Piercing), Lance, Dragon Armour, Shield of the Myrwrym, Reaver Bow- 191

Shield of the Merwyrm won't work when he's mounted or when he uses his lance. I'd be tempted to scale him back by dropping the special abilities from the Eagle and replace the Shield of the Merwyrm with a normal shield.

SteveW
16-10-2013, 04:15
How about rolling the two units of seaguard together and putting a seahelm bsb in there? A horde of 50 that can reform to take a charge would be fun to use.

Korpacz
16-10-2013, 05:40
lol scouting with 4 warmachines.

innerwolf
16-10-2013, 05:59
As I said in the other thread, I'd rather see a Seahelm over the Eagle noble. But as you said, I don't think he would fit in.

Great theme, it looks like it's going to be fun!

Edit: Why don't you change the BSB noble into a Seahelm noble? Bad protection, I suppose.

BigbyWolf
16-10-2013, 12:23
Looks OK. What lore is he taking? If it's High then I'd drop the Talisman of Preservation down to the Talisman of Endurance (as he's going to buff his ward save through Shield of Saphery.

I'm keeping the lore open for the time being, wil lprobably try out a few before I settle on one.
I'd take Dragon armour over Heavy armour. You get the ward save and Fireborn.

Yeah, that was one of the things I was considering doing with my spares, so I'll definately do that.

Shield of the Merwyrm won't work when he's mounted or when he uses his lance. I'd be tempted to scale him back by dropping the special abilities from the Eagle and replace the Shield of the Merwyrm with a normal shield.

Derp...of course it won't. :o I was reading the rules and thought, "You can use a shield with a lance...so you get a 4+ parry save!" But, obviously, this isn't the case. I could scale the eagle back a bit, but I don't really know where to but the points that I would save.

Thoughts in red...

How about rolling the two units of seaguard together and putting a seahelm bsb in there? A horde of 50 that can reform to take a charge would be fun to use.

Can you make a Seahelm a BSB? I'll have to have another look at the book. I didn't think you could.

As I said in the other thread, I'd rather see a Seahelm over the Eagle noble. But as you said, I don't think he would fit in.

Great theme, it looks like it's going to be fun!

Edit: Why don't you change the BSB noble into a Seahelm noble? Bad protection, I suppose.

Mainly due to wanting the Flaming banner. But if I can make the Seahelm a BSB, as stated above, then it's certainly something worth considering.

Jelmer
16-10-2013, 13:14
A Sea Helm noble can't get heavy armor if i am nog mistaken and a bit more expensive than normal noble but would fit in nicer with the theme i agree
Nice conversion though, put a noble on a roc kinda looks like an eagle, but in theme with your army (expensive model then so not going to happen i think ;))

SteveW
16-10-2013, 13:45
Can you make a Seahelm a BSB? I'll have to have another look at the book. I didn't think you could.

Sure you can, the model even comes with a really cool BSB option.

wargame_insomniac
16-10-2013, 19:06
How about rolling the two units of seaguard together and putting a seahelm bsb in there? A horde of 50 that reform to take a charge would be fun to use.
That idea sounds great in theory but am not sure hiw well would work in practice. I am not home and don't have my HE army book to hand. But please check the exact wording of Sea Helm rules. I believe that have to receive the charge, which means maximisibg number of modeks in base contact. So I read that in allowing you to redeploy from 10 wide to 7 wide, rather than 5 wide, wider still of course if ehemy un7t is on 25mm base ir wider themselves.

If someone with armybook in front of them could confirm this either way. Please bear in mind is that I will ge playing a Lothern themed list myself and woukd love to field the Sea Helm mini as intehded ratger than having to use him as cool looking Noble.

Also bear in mind that Sea Helm's redeploy option meahs no shoot and fire reaction. So lising 30 shots....

Cheers

James

Shush
16-10-2013, 19:35
Hi Bigby! Not that I'm stalking you but you could have a dragon for your theme! I know that's the wrong type but you could paint one up as a bluey turqoise for a sea dragon :)

http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/warhammer-fantasy/forum/topic/witch-on-black-dragon-painted-as-a-sea-dragon/

I actually really like your theme but I'd definitely want a dragon if I did it, the high elves one looks really dynamic :)

BigbyWolf
17-10-2013, 12:31
The current High Elf dragon is one of my least favourite models! :p Looks like someone's shaved a rat, and I don't really like most of the models where they have the monster or person leaping off something or standing precariously on a tiny rock.

I much prefer the older metal dragons, and have all of those, but really want a reason to buy the steroid-enhanced Empire griffon, so will probably save my dragons for something else.

innerwolf
17-10-2013, 13:07
In my opinion the IoB griffon model suits the HE rules much better. It's physically weaker but have access to upgrades which make it a lot more agile and skilled, as the leaner model suggest. Just a matter of taste, I suppose :)

BigbyWolf
17-10-2013, 13:40
I'll be using the IOB model for the eagle my noble will be mounted on.:yes:

innerwolf
17-10-2013, 14:33
Didn't you say you don't like proxies? ;) just joking. How do you plan on converting the Imperial griffon to make it more High Elf-y?

BigbyWolf
17-10-2013, 15:22
Um...

:shifty:

By putting an Elf on it...:cries:

Well, a bit more than that. I was going to leave off the breastplate and any other heraldry that came with it, the model I intend to use as the rider has an ornate seat with massive banner pole that I was going to put something approriately elfy on. But nothing too complex.

As for the proxy, I would generally prefer to avoid them, but I've got an awful lot of birds in the army, so the minigriff would be a nice change. ;)