PDA

View Full Version : 2000 DE List

Night429
13-10-2013, 02:18
Well, there's going to be quite a few DE lists popping up now I presume. I'm no exception.

Supreme Sorceress (lv 4, Dark Steed, Tome of Furion, Obsidian Amulet)

Master (Cold One, GW, Sea Dragon Cloak)

Darkshards x10 (shield)
Darkshards x10 (shield)
Corsairs x30 (full command, 10 front)
Dark Riders x10 (shield, crossbow, herald & standard)

Cold One Knights x9 (full command)
Executioners x20 (full command)
Harpies x5

Doomfire Warlocks x5

Sorc goes with the warlocks
Master goes with the CoK

Setup the Warlocks, Corsairs & Executioners in the middle, with crossbowmen protecting their flanks. Dark Riders on one wide flank, CoK's on the other. Harpies where they can get to enemy WM as quick as possible.

Pretty simple, pretty small at 2k but generally the "core" of any higher point armies. At higher points I would give the Master a Cloak of Twilight & Peg (or Manticore), add a rank to the Warlocks, add a Chariot and some bolt throwers.

Voss
13-10-2013, 05:45
I'm puzzled by the sorceress with the warlocks. Its one thing to have a bait unit, quite another to have a bait unit so valuable that you can't allow it to die. Adding ranks to the warlocks at higher points values is a really bad idea. The return on investment is really terrible, while each new MSU unit multiplies the threat.

Corsairs don't have much in the way of punch, and I can't think of many reasons to run them 10 wide.

Executioners are horribly vulnerable, and will die ridiculously fast- even casual missile fire will render them useless or dead. A 5 man unit of cold one knights will do the same job, and be better at it. A chariot will do it for less.

Harpies you might as well bin and replace with a 5 man dark rider unit with spears. Does the same job better.

Not really sold on darkriders as missile troops. Rather expensive for the role, frankly. And your cold ones are pretty lacking in combat support, so spears would serve your list better in any case.

Night429
14-10-2013, 14:27
Crossbows on the Dark Riders are for harassment purposes if there's nothing that I'm ready to charge with them yet. They're not "missile troops" but giving them crossbows gives them that extra something they can do when they don't have anything else to do.

Corsairs have a 4+ save now plus their ton of attacks (augmented with rerolls to hit and reroll 1's to wound), which makes them a pretty reliable unit to tie up and even kill an enemy horde. They're basically spearmen with a better save. Whether the points cost is worth that save is arguable, I'll agree. For me and my horrible dice rolls, it is.

I'm sort of relying on target saturation to keep the Executioners alive (as much as possible). There aren't many shooty-heavy lists in the meta at my local store, so for now I'm not terribly worried about them getting shot up.

I agree that the Sorc in the Warlocks is a bad idea, now that I've had time to think about it. I can move her to the Dark Riders.

logan054
14-10-2013, 15:27
The level 4 with the warlocks looks like a terrible idea, if you play a gunline all someone needs to do is kill one warlock with handguns, crossbows or whatever and then aim a cannon/rock lobber at the head of the lvl4 with no protection and now no los roll, they could simply charge the unit with a lone lying character and force her into a challenge (like say a flying daemon prince) which you can't refuse as you don't have a rear rank, suddenly thats your magic phase and magic defense gone. I don't really think 10 executioners is enough, they will just get picked off before they even see combat. The dark riders work better in units of 5.

Night429
14-10-2013, 15:43
The level 4 with the warlocks looks like a terrible idea, if you play a gunline all someone needs to do is kill one warlock with handguns, crossbows or whatever and then aim a cannon/rock lobber at the head of the lvl4 with no protection and now no los roll, they could simply charge the unit with a lone lying character and force her into a challenge (like say a flying daemon prince) which you can't refuse as you don't have a rear rank, suddenly thats your magic phase and magic defense gone. I don't really think 10 executioners is enough, they will just get picked off before they even see combat. The dark riders work better in units of 5.

Whoops, I typo'd the number on the Executioners. Should be 20 with full command.

MrScobie
14-10-2013, 18:01
2 units of 5 warlocks is much better than 1 unit of 10, one casualty and you lose your +1 to cast.
try a level one with tome for black horror on steed with the lock unit, if nothing else your opponent is using alot of firepower to take them out before you can vanguard and flank them with a dirty str test vortex