PDA

View Full Version : I have been playing this game for 15 years, so I know the rules and am right.

SanDiegoSurrealist
14-10-2013, 02:00
I just moved into a new city that has a GW store so I went in and joined the WFB league they just started up. During my first game there was a question over the interpretation of a rule, a very simple basic rule at that. The GW store manager did not know the answer (bad sign). I showed them the exact page and definition, my knowledge of the rules was quickly dismissed because I am the new guy and I must not know the rules as well as the locals; who have apparently been playing it wrong for the past 3 years, considering 8th edition dropped in 2010. I was told by the Manager, he would not make a judgment of the rule until he talked to some of the other guys in the league who had been playing for years. His exact quote was "They know the rules better, they have been playing this game for 15 years."

Went back in store today for my second game and overheard someone say my name and "Let him try to cheat like that against me". Of course I introduced myself, called him out on it, broke open the rule book and showed them all the rule. After a short debate it was acknowledged as being the correct interpretation of the rule. VINDICATED!

The point of this rant is,
1. Whenever a new edition drops everyone is on a level playing field, all anyone has to do is read the rules.
2. Don't just offhandedly dismiss people you don't know as not knowing the rules.
3. Don't call someone a cheater, especially if you don't know them and they are standing right next to you. That is unless you are prepared to get called out on it.
4. If anyone ever says "I have been playing for 15 years!" and because of that they are implying they somehow know the rules better and you should just trust them to be right, tell them to go to Hell.

(steps off soapbox)

Vampire1812
14-10-2013, 02:16
I just moved into a new city that has a GW store so I went in and joined the WFB league they just started up. During my first game there was a question over the interpretation of a rule, a very simple basic rule at that. The GW store manager did not know the answer (bad sign). I showed them the exact page and definition, my knowledge of the rules was quickly dismissed because I am the new guy and I must not know the rules as well as the locals; who have apparently been playing it wrong for the past 3 years, considering 8th edition dropped in 2010. I was told by the Manager, he would not make a judgment of the rule until he talked to some of the other guys in the league who had been playing for years. His exact quote was "They know the rules better, they have been playing this game for 15 years."

Went back in store today for my second game and overheard someone say my name and "Let him try to cheat like that against me". Of course I introduced myself, called him out on it, broke open the rule book and showed them all the rule. After a short debate it was acknowledged as being the correct interpretation of the rule. VINDICATED!

The point of this rant is,
1. Whenever a new edition drops everyone is on a level playing field, all anyone has to do is read the rules.
2. Don't just offhandedly dismiss people you don't know as not knowing the rules.
3. Don't call someone a cheater, especially if you don't know them and they are standing right next to you. That is unless you are prepared to get called out on it.
4. If anyone ever says "I have been playing for 15 years!" and because of that they are implying they somehow know the rules better and you should just trust them to be right, tell them to go to Hell.

(steps off soapbox)

I know this forum and this is not in the right section.

Nymie_the_Pooh
14-10-2013, 02:21
I've been playing GW games for almost fifteen years. Over time I have learned many different games and the games bleed together let alone the editions. I try to be upfront with others that my knowledge might be lacking because I have three other games in mind in addition to older editions of whichever game we happen to be playing at the moment. I know I am not the only one to do this as I run into older gamers fairly regularly that have the same difficulties I do. There is a reason I bring my rulebooks with me and outside of a tournament situation I make the time to have the game last as long as needed to account for rule checking.