PDA

View Full Version : I have been playing this game for 15 years, so I know the rules and am right.

SanDiegoSurrealist
14-10-2013, 02:21
I just moved into a new city that has a GW store so I went in and joined the WFB league they just started up. During my first game there was a question over the interpretation of a rule, a very simple basic rule at that. The GW store manager did not know the answer (bad sign). I showed them the exact page and definition, my knowledge of the rules was quickly dismissed because I am the new guy and I must not know the rules as well as the locals; who have apparently been playing it wrong for the past 3 years, considering 8th edition dropped in 2010. I was told by the Manager, he would not make a judgment of the rule until he talked to some of the other guys in the league who had been playing for years. His exact quote was "They know the rules better, they have been playing this game for 15 years."

Went back in store today for my second game and overheard someone say my name and "Let him try to cheat like that against me". Of course I introduced myself, called him out on it, broke open the rule book and showed them all the rule. After a short debate it was acknowledged as being the correct interpretation of the rule. VINDICATED!

The point of this rant is,
1. Whenever a new edition drops everyone is on a level playing field, all anyone has to do is read the rules.
2. Don't just offhandedly dismiss people you don't know as not knowing the rules.
3. Don't call someone a cheater, especially if you don't know them and they are standing right next to you. That is unless you are prepared to get called out on it.
4. If anyone ever says "I have been playing for 15 years!" and because of that they are implying they somehow know the rules better and you should just trust them to be right, tell them to go to Hell.

(steps off soapbox)

Nymie_the_Pooh
14-10-2013, 02:24
I originally posted this to your other thread before realizing the section you posted in.

I've been playing GW games for almost fifteen years. Over time I have learned many different games and the games bleed together let alone the editions. I try to be upfront with others that my knowledge might be lacking because I have three other games in mind in addition to older editions of whichever game we happen to be playing at the moment. I know I am not the only one to do this as I run into older gamers fairly regularly that have the same difficulties I do. There is a reason I bring my rulebooks with me and outside of a tournament situation I make the time to have the game last as long as needed to account for rule checking.

I'm glad you were able to settle it with another player. Once a reputation for being a cheat builds up it is hard to find players outside of events where they have to play you or forfeit the match.

dementian
14-10-2013, 02:36
I recently moved to a new region to and got a game with one of the local TO's and followed up with a tournament later in the month. It is very interesting to get to play with new opponents. But the correct rules are in the book not always in peoples minds. My second opponent in the tournament was doing charge declarations/reactions wrong and said that his whole group didn't know that. Throughout the 3 games of the tourney I found opponents that played things wrong.

It's difficult to be the new player in a region because you can have those situations where you know you are right but are tentative to call them on it.

SteveW
14-10-2013, 03:09
Recently, some guy moved into my area and had the nerve to challenge my rules interpretation even though I told the fool I have over 15 years playing this game...
/sarcasm

I have been playing warhammer for over two decades and I think(like another poster wrote) that it's more of a disadvantage due to me mixing up the rules. I mean, 90% of my thought process is wrapped up in planning what I'm going to teach my students the following week and the other 10% is left for all other things so I have to play warhammer with the rule-book open all the time.

When it comes to rules disputes I usually differ to my opponent if they are adamant about knowing the rule. I do however make a note to look it up later and have found that most of the time they were wrong, but I'd rather have fun than have to play with the rule book open the whole game.

IcedCrow
14-10-2013, 03:14
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about being right.

Here's the thing. I've been playing the game since 1998, so 15 years as well... and in 15 years the one universal rule is that there is never a shortage of people that think they know everything about the rules, but are often wrong. (and I myself often cross old editions over and get a couple things wrong from time to time)

So not saying you are right or wrong... but if our group has a new guy come in and start talking like he knows all of the rules, it will naturally be looked at with skepticism until the new guy proves that he is more often than not correct about rulings. Trust takes time. Also, most GW managers aren't really players of the game. They are, however, going to go with who they know are usually correct. If he doesn't know who you are... there should be no surprise that he doesn't know if you are talking out of your ass like a lot of guys do.

Coming onto a website and proclaiming yourself vindicated makes you look like a tool. Its off putting and highly passive aggressive. If you have an issue with the group, address it with the group, not with us. They are the ones that are going to be dealing with you and you them, not us. If I were to move to a new area, the last thing I'd do is jump on warseer to slag them because they didn't believe that I was right, even though I was. (going back to the whole trust takes time thing)

Just my 2 cents, because it was made public and this is an internet forum.

outbreak
14-10-2013, 03:26
I know older editions and constantly get rules wrong by thinking of the old rules. I'd never call someone out for cheating over a rules misunderstanding though, GW's rules are poorly written in a lot of cases and open to debate anyway.

Drasanil
14-10-2013, 03:30
Does the OP want a cookie? I can't really think of a point to this thread besides that. You had an issue, it got resolved, you were vindicated. Thumbs up, I guess.

Lance Tankmen
14-10-2013, 04:40
no this wont do, i need to know what rule they played wrong or i cant wrap my head around the story

Scammel
14-10-2013, 06:20
I've encountered something very similar, but not over rules. Two guys in our club were discussing how many editions of CSM there had been - one started shouting and swearing at the top of his voice that there had been a reprint of the 4th ed book and asserted that he's been playing since xyz year and that made him right.

NurglesRot
14-10-2013, 06:21
Out of curiosity, what was the "simplistic" rule they had all been playing wrong?

Ichshadon
14-10-2013, 06:45
Sounds like one of those 12 years old kids to me who, for once in their (short) gaming career "won" at a rules debate and now wants a round of internet applause and cookies...

Once you've played for 15 years (like me, seems to be a magic number...) you'll know that being wrong about a rule happens every so often and you'll always learn something new you didn't know, interpreted in a different way, or that a FAQ changed without you noticing (the later happens to me the most I guess). It's nothing special.

But at least "us" 15 years old players don't enter a game without knowing at least the basic rules of every new edition (unlike some others in my store who just drop by with the rulebook going like "I'll learn as I go along..." which always quadruples the damn game time without adding any fun..)....

Now enough of the "old man talk". Of course the storemanager will ask the old guys first, they've had way more time studying the rules and playing with them than some guy who just walked into the store and whom he doesn't know, and maybe they have even stumbled across the same situation before and already know how to handle it.

Anyways, now get yourself a cookie and be a good player, and stop attacking the old guys...they'll still be there once you're long gone, and if you aren't gone you'll need a seat at their old man's table soon, so don't anger them ;-P

Sir Didymus
14-10-2013, 08:55
Its not your knowledge of the rules, but the size of your rulebook.

Slamming down a collectors edition rule book will instantly give you a lot of street cred ;)

Artinam
14-10-2013, 09:32
Its common, on tournaments you find a lot of weird things like that.
Weirdest thing was a old Cheese Dark Elf/Chaos list where my team were getting flattened. These people had never heard of the restraining pursuit roll and assumed they could just not pursue and reform to their leisure.
I just accept it and show them the rules.

MOMUS
14-10-2013, 09:50
no this wont do, i need to know what rule they played wrong or i cant wrap my head around the story

They were drinking the wrong type of beer and eating the wrong type of pretzels obviously.

The bearded one
14-10-2013, 10:48
I always support the underdog. It's a matter of familiarity.

I'm kinda with the OP on this one. Playing for a decade or more makes you just more liable to mix up editions. I know and have met plenty of people playing in tournaments who for a long time did charging orders wrong, or did the actual charging itself wrong entirely.

But most of all I support the OP's vindication because it's a very harsh thing to be called a cheater over a case where you're actually right, but you have the established scene against you. That can really break someone's enjoyment and ability to be able play, especially if it'll intimidate you into being afraid to argue any rulesissue for being called a cheater. Reputations stick, even if ill-deserved, and can be a social stigmata, while it's supposed to be a fun pasttime.

This is not about 'winning an internet cookie for winning a rulesargument', but about beating back being stigmatised for being right, due to prejudice of being established veteran regulars against the 'new guy'.

Out of curiosity, what was the rule?

Athlan na Dyr
14-10-2013, 10:50
They were drinking the wrong type of beer and eating the wrong type of pretzels obviously.

You say that as a joke, but I've seen people turn up with a Bud Light.

Lord Solar Plexus
14-10-2013, 11:48
Takes the fun right out of it.

MyNameDidntFit
14-10-2013, 11:58
The greatest irony would be that if someone from the group was reading this forum and called the OP out on this post next time they saw him.

Imperator64
14-10-2013, 12:04
I wouldnt dare drink beer whilst playing. I'd end up smacking the guy who groans everytime I use a redirector round his stupid smug head.

stortotta
14-10-2013, 12:04
Hahaha, lame-ass topic! This is just silly. Everyone knows that people get stuff wrong from time to time, even OP I dare say. Does it matter enough to warrent a new thread? I Think not.

The bearded one
14-10-2013, 12:20
Hahaha, lame-ass topic! This is just silly. Everyone knows that people get stuff wrong from time to time, even OP I dare say. Does it matter enough to warrent a new thread? I Think not.

Doesn't really warrant calling the other person a cheater, especially in an environment where you have the social advantage over 'the new guy'.

stortotta
14-10-2013, 12:41
I never said that the other guys behavior is anything to strive for, in fact, it's a bitchy thing to do. All I'm saying is that the topic is silly, and discussing it here is a really low-chance way of changing the behaviour of people. If a grown man (I'm assuming) is behaving like a tosser, even if he stumbles on this thread, it's quite unlikely to change the way he acts.

Sotek
14-10-2013, 12:48
This is a reason I avoid GW cliques. They have their own version of the rules.

SanDiegoSurrealist
14-10-2013, 13:34
I always support the underdog. It's a matter of familiarity.

I'm kinda with the OP on this one. Playing for a decade or more makes you just more liable to mix up editions. I know and have met plenty of people playing in tournaments who for a long time did charging orders wrong, or did the actual charging itself wrong entirely.

But most of all I support the OP's vindication because it's a very harsh thing to be called a cheater over a case where you're actually right, but you have the established scene against you. That can really break someone's enjoyment and ability to be able play, especially if it'll intimidate you into being afraid to argue any rulesissue for being called a cheater. Reputations stick, even if ill-deserved, and can be a social stigmata, while it's supposed to be a fun pasttime.

This is not about 'winning an internet cookie for winning a rulesargument', but about beating back being stigmatised for being right, due to prejudice of being established veteran regulars against the 'new guy'.

Out of curiosity, what was the rule?

Thank you bearded one, you and a couple other people get what I am trying to say, while other are just reinforcing the point.

The post what not about being vindicated (that part was more tongue-in-check by the way) it was about Bullying, about not alienating the new guy, about dismissing ideas that come from anywhere outside you little cliche, about having the attitude that I have been playing longer so my opinion is more valid than yous.

This is a game where grown men push around little plastic dolls, don't take yourself so serious.

The rule was that you get a free 90 degree wheel in a charge.
They all said you do not, that you had to pay for the wheel.
Very basic stuff.

The bearded one
14-10-2013, 13:41
Heck, when charging you even get an unlimited amount of movement in order to complete the charge; as long as your chargeroll equals the shortest distance between your unit and the one you're charging. I still see it quite often that people want to measure wheels and the distance you moved during your charge to be equal or less than the distance you rolled.

Kurgan Ironbeard
14-10-2013, 13:53
I've just started playing again and I'm still hung over from two editions ago, so I generally go with what the common concensus is but there is a guy who has frequented the store for a while and even he causes a lot of discontent with his interpretation of the rules and would argue consistently about them and would then go theory rolls to prove his point etc, he may be right but it's the way he goes about it that causes the problems.

SanDiegoSurrealist
14-10-2013, 13:54
Heck, when charging you even get an unlimited amount of movement in order to complete the charge; as long as your chargeroll equals the shortest distance between your unit and the one you're charging. I still see it quite often that people want to measure wheels and the distance you moved during your charge to be equal or less than the distance you rolled.

Like I said was a very basic rule, not some obscure you have to reference page X and then page Y and then adjust to a rule in page Z.
But again the rule, the store, etc. was not the point of the post. Which many people have missed.

SanDiegoSurrealist
14-10-2013, 13:59
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about being right.

Here's the thing. I've been playing the game since 1998, so 15 years as well... and in 15 years the one universal rule is that there is never a shortage of people that think they know everything about the rules, but are often wrong. (and I myself often cross old editions over and get a couple things wrong from time to time)

So not saying you are right or wrong... but if our group has a new guy come in and start talking like he knows all of the rules, it will naturally be looked at with skepticism until the new guy proves that he is more often than not correct about rulings. Trust takes time. Also, most GW managers aren't really players of the game. They are, however, going to go with who they know are usually correct. If he doesn't know who you are... there should be no surprise that he doesn't know if you are talking out of your ass like a lot of guys do.

Coming onto a website and proclaiming yourself vindicated makes you look like a tool. Its off putting and highly passive aggressive. If you have an issue with the group, address it with the group, not with us. They are the ones that are going to be dealing with you and you them, not us. If I were to move to a new area, the last thing I'd do is jump on warseer to slag them because they didn't believe that I was right, even though I was. (going back to the whole trust takes time thing)

Just my 2 cents, because it was made public and this is an internet forum.

Again the point of the post was not about being right or wrong on a rules call, not about telling you guys what a stud I am at Warhammer (sarcasm), that part was just background on what happened to me personally as a lead in to the real point which I guess could have been summed up by saying "Don't be a Dick"

IcedCrow
14-10-2013, 14:00
I've just started playing again and I'm still hung over from two editions ago, so I generally go with what the common concensus is but there is a guy who has frequented the store for a while and even he causes a lot of discontent with his interpretation of the rules and would argue consistently about them and would then go theory rolls to prove his point etc, he may be right but it's the way he goes about it that causes the problems.

Bingo. No one wants to hang around a tool. Considering this hobby is a social one... being a social tool will mean having a hard time finding someone that wants to stand across from the table from one for any length of time. Right or wrong doesn't matter.

Again the point of the post was not about being right or wrong on a rules call, not about telling you guys what I stud I am at Warhammer, that part was just background on what happened to me personally as a lead in to the real point which I guess could have been summed up in 4 words "Don't be a Dick"

If your GW store is really populated by people that consider playing by the rules as cheating, or who after seeing the rules consider that wrong, then consider playing with a different group. The title of the thread is very misleading then if the overall crux of the issue is "i was called a cheater after showing the correct rules" and should probably be changed.

As it stands, the title of the thread reads that "i have been playing longer than you so I know the rules and am right" which comes off as... well... you've seen the reactions as how it has come off.

Haravikk
14-10-2013, 14:06
1. Whenever a new edition drops everyone is on a level playing field, all anyone has to do is read the rules.
This isn't actually true; while experienced players will be more familiar with the basic rules that are unlikely to change much, they actually have a huge disadvantage when it comes to learning the new rules as they will constantly mistake them for the old rules and vice versa, I know because it's exactly the problem I had with 8th where I was really struggling to throw away all the 7th edition cruft I no longer needed to remember, and there were loads of things that I didn't really get right away; for example, Steadfast being based on the actual number of ranks, not just the unit's rank bonus, which was a pretty common mistake locally as people just read "ranks" as "rank bonus".

I've had issues like this in the past; I've allowed myself to doubt my own knowledge of rules just because the other person is adamant that they're right. Problem is that in every single example I can think of I've actually been completely right, but I find I doubt myself too readily, and I hate having to stop a game to look up rules, as the last thing I want is to be known for always requiring rules to be checked for every dispute. That's not to say I'm not wrong, and I'm fine with being corrected when I make a mistake, it's just that all too often when the other person is wrong I let it slide when I really shouldn't.

That said, I think games should be played with a degree of leniency; I'm usually happy to let someone take an action out of sequence that they forgot to do, especially if it's things I've often done myself like forgotten a rule, magical effect that's in play, or just forgotten to move a unit because it was behind something. I'm even happy to occasionally bend rules in favour of an opponent who's just having plain bad luck, my most common example is a Leadership 10 Stubborn unit in range of the Battle Standard failing a break test and getting run down; I'll usually come to some compromise such as having the unit flee and begin a new combat at its new location, or just ignore the result and have them not flee in the first place. Rules should be treated with some degree of flexibility when it comes to both sides having fun IMO, maybe not in tournaments of course, but then I don't really like those anyway. And it's also just plain good sportsmanship to remind people of rules they may have forgotten; I've several times now pointed out the Dwarf Organ Gun's ability to re-roll its dice, as I completely failed to notice that one myself.

Echunia
14-10-2013, 14:08
The rule was that you get a free 90 degree wheel in a charge.
They all said you do not, that you had to pay for the wheel.
Very basic stuff.

Not to be antagonistic but just to check, we aren't talking about a fail charge here? As it doesn't make much sense to pay for anything during a completed charge. In a failed charge situation you actually have to pay for your wheel.

Anyway I agree with the op that its sometimes hard to get into new groups, specially with situations like these.

Kurgan Ironbeard
14-10-2013, 14:15
Afaik you always get at least one free wheel when charging, that's been around since forever afaik.

SanDiegoSurrealist
14-10-2013, 14:19
Not to be antagonistic but just to check, we aren't talking about a fail charge here? As it doesn't make much sense to pay for anything during a completed charge. In a failed charge situation you actually have to pay for your wheel.

Anyway I agree with the op that its sometimes hard to get into new groups, specially with situations like these.

No we are talking about a regular charge. But I did mess up the rule on how a failed charge is resolved but that is a topic for another post.

IcedCrow
14-10-2013, 14:20
Afaik you always get at least one free wheel when charging, that's been around since forever afaik.

The free wheel from charging was new to 8th. In 7th and 6th the only thing for free you got was to "close the door". It was something that caught me before a couple years ago because for the first year of 8th edition I was still paying for my wheels until someone said I was doing it wrong and when they showed it to me I was cleared up, though I'm not a fan of that rule... it is what it is.

Kurgan Ironbeard
14-10-2013, 14:22
Ah yeah I was on about closing the door, but I get you.

SanDiegoSurrealist
14-10-2013, 14:22
As it stands, the title of the thread reads that "i have been playing longer than you so I know the rules and am right" which comes off as... well... you've seen the reactions as how it has come off.

I blame journalism teachers and the Huffington Post, who have taught us strong titles invoke response.
But yes I see your point.

loveless
14-10-2013, 21:43
If I'm reading this right, they were having a rules discussion, someone showed them the answer in the rulebook (or told them where to look), and they all decided to keep discussing instead of looking up the answer.

I dunno - that would annoy me if I were the one who gave the page reference.

I still remember a couple of guys during 4th edition 40K (the twilight period of 4th edition, in fact), who were constantly insisting on utilizing the 3rd edition version of things.

"Well, that's not how it used to be, I shouldn't have to do it that way..." and "Well, in the last edition, you could do this, so I should be able to..." That's the sort of thing that really annoys me. Listen, it's fine if you guys want to go over to your table and play the previous edition, but if you know the rest of us are playing the current edition, please don't ask us for a game and then try to turn the rules around back to the edition you liked better. If you want help with the current edition, just ask - but don't try and force old rules on someone under the guise of a quick pick-up game.

I'd actually say that the longer you've played, the more likely you are to get a rule mixed up, as things can often change from edition to edition (how many times has Regeneration changed? How about Hatred and ASF?). If someone asks, it's always best to pull it up in the rulebook - I'd keep a bookmark at each main section, plus Magic Items and Universal Special Rules. It's a lot easier to play correctly if you read the rule word-for-word. The exception would be common opponents, as eventually you should both get used to each other's knowledge...though I still keep a rulebook handy.

Of course, I also hate house rules and typically don't return to a store/club that has a "Warhammer House Rules" packet I need to go over. Ick.

mostlyharmless
14-10-2013, 22:08
Heh, I run into this alot. Unfortunately, I'm on the opposite end, having played for twelve years, younger players assume I know all the rules. Fun fact: I don't. I willingly admit it, which is why I bring my rulebook when I play. If they ask me about a rule, I ask them what their rulebook says. If it is confusing, I try to help them mediate the conflict. That's about the best anyone can do, really. I am a hobbyist, not a walking encyclopedia.

@allmyownbattles
14-10-2013, 22:37
I first played Warhammer in the 80s and have dipped in and out over the years. As a result, I spend more time during a battle looking at the rulebook than I do looking at the table.

If anyone tries to pull a line like 'I've been playing for 15 years' play someone else next time. However, manager should have made a call, or taken some interest if the OP was trying to show him the rule in the book. I do think the OP should have taken five minutes to calm down though before posting.

Daenerys Targaryen
16-10-2013, 00:37
Heh, I run into this alot. Unfortunately, I'm on the opposite end, having played for twelve years, younger players assume I know all the rules. Fun fact: I don't. I willingly admit it, which is why I bring my rulebook when I play. If they ask me about a rule, I ask them what their rulebook says. If it is confusing, I try to help them mediate the conflict. That's about the best anyone can do, really. I am a hobbyist, not a walking encyclopedia.

This was exactly how I was treated when I worked at the local GW store... Unfortunately, over now 16+ years of playing Fantasy, I've played through 4 edition changes and suffered 8 concussions... (ice hockey) So as I tell my opponents & would always tell the kiddies, look it up in the rulebook if you're not 100% sure and always assume I'm playing the 'Warhammer: Scrambled Brain' edition.

Lord Solar Plexus
16-10-2013, 09:02

That makes absolutely no sense. If that comes off as rude, why attack the OP? :wtf:

The bearded one
16-10-2013, 10:01
That makes absolutely no sense. If that comes off as rude, why attack the OP? :wtf:

Lol, seconded. The OP isn't the first person speaking in the title, those were the store-vets, essentially (just somewhat more offensively worded).

underscore
16-10-2013, 10:33
He failed to realise the importance of quotation marks? :)

HereComesTomorrow
16-10-2013, 10:52
So as I tell my opponents & would always tell the kiddies, look it up in the rulebook if you're not sure

Oh God, this. Even my friends get annoyed at me for this. As soon as someone does something and anyone say "Are you sure?" I open the rulebook.

My group were playing charges wrong for like 2 years before we realized we'd been doing them wrong (one player said "this is how they're done" and we went with it, this is what triggered my check-the-book insistence) . And I only found out last week that you don't get +1 for shooting at Large Targets anymore (for some reason). I've been playing for 18 years, if anyone is wondering.

It's a big book and for some people it's hard to comprehend what it's on about without the practical aspect being involved. It's like anything, reading about something isn't a substitute for actually doing it.

It it doesn't help that the rulebook is really badly laid out.

Lord Solar Plexus
16-10-2013, 11:35
He failed to realise the importance of quotation marks? :)

Mother of all fails! That deserves a harsh punishment! ;)

mostlyharmless
16-10-2013, 16:57
This was exactly how I was treated when I worked at the local GW store... Unfortunately, over now 16+ years of playing Fantasy, I've played through 4 edition changes and suffered 8 concussions... (ice hockey) So as I tell my opponents & would always tell the kiddies, look it up in the rulebook if you're not 100% sure and always assume I'm playing the 'Warhammer: Scrambled Brain' edition.

Warhammer: Scrambled Brain edition, eh? That sounds like fun. We should play this some time.

gd09garett
16-10-2013, 17:07
You say that as a joke, but I've seen people turn up with a Bud Light.

I do not see how this is relevant as people were talking about beer. :-)

stroller
16-10-2013, 17:26

I SO wish you'd left out the ice hockey clarifier....

On topic however, I've been playing mumble mumble years and constantly confuse games and editions.

Nymie_the_Pooh
16-10-2013, 21:44
I actually had a game last week where somebody was shooting at my Arachnarok spider and I was pointing out that it was a large target. I got the blank look before it dawned on the other player what I was referring to and they reminded me yet again that there is no bonus to shooting. It doesn't help that I keep switching back and forth between Fantasy and Mordheim either.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
17-10-2013, 20:29
Who's more at fault here: Obama or Ward?

The bearded one
17-10-2013, 21:55
Who's more at fault here: Obama or Ward?

The conservatives!
No, wait...
Global warming!

jprp
18-10-2013, 00:06
i`ve been playing for 29 years and have found that the worst rules lawyers are mostly the guys with no painted models, i judge the opponent on how much effort they put into an army (doesnt have to be Golden Deamon but they should have the decency to slap on some paint) and how willing they are to have a laugh, most rules problems can be resolved with a quick re-read of the rules and most people will be glad to be corrected if its done nicely.
I cant think of a situation where i would want to get involved with a game at a GW store.